Next Tomb Raider Xbox Exclusive

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
kaioshade said:
People said Microsoft needed to secure some exclusives to help the Xbox One. Microsoft secures an exclusive title, people lose their shit.

It is baffling.
It really isn't.

Unless you genuinely aren't bothered by your favorite childhood franchises suddenly becoming inaccessible to you. People are into weird things.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
If the original in the reboot series had to sell seven million copies to be successful, don't make it an exclusive to a console which has a... what 3 million, maybe 4 million user base.

Then after it is released they'll say "sales aren't as predicted, we'll go multiplatform now while totally pretending that we were not developing it for the PS4 and PC to begin with".

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
kaioshade said:
Since PS4 has the larger market share, i wonder if the vitriol would be as fierce if it was announced as a PS4 exclusive instead?
Personally, I've said this before and I'll say it again, yes, I would find the move just as stupid if it were announced by Sony. It's a franchise which is long-established and has always been multi-platform; changing it to suddenly be exclusive to a single console is a baffling move, especially when the current publisher of said franchise was well-documented as stating that the millions of sales the previous game had were 'below expectations' and caused it to be viewed as a 'failure'.

I can't speak for everyone else, but what's ridiculous to me is not the fact that Microsoft bought off an 'exclusive' title so much as the fact that Square Enix/Crystal Dynamics think it's actually a smart idea to sell off one of their established franchises to a single platform. The fact that it happens to be the console their last title sold the worst on across the board, Definitive Edition included, is just icing on the cake.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
lacktheknack said:
kaioshade said:
People said Microsoft needed to secure some exclusives to help the Xbox One. Microsoft secures an exclusive title, people lose their shit.

It is baffling.
It really isn't.

Unless you genuinely aren't bothered by your favorite childhood franchises suddenly becoming inaccessible to you. People are into weird things.
Lest we forget Sonic fans, but then again at least the entire company just exploded so they were forced to move onto other things to get Sega games anyway.

What Do I Care

May 2, 2013
And the award for killing a franchise goes to? (long pause................Square Enix, Rapturous applause)

Okay can anyone give me an answer that makes sense? I know Square aren't the sharpest knife in the box, but this is so far beyond anything that makes sense, just common bloody sense!

This has to be a joke or someone has made a mistake. Seriously I am laughing my ass off, I have seen some shite in my time but this just takes the shitty biscuit. I honestly don't understand!!!

I liked the last game it was fun to play and I had a good time, but its just not a system selling franchise anymore, sorry but its just not, which pains me to say as a fan since the original.

Lara I think its time we go or separate ways. Nothing you did, its just that you're dad is a massive money grabbing **** who wont let my see you if I cant stump up the cash. Your dads a pimp.

Arrgh

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Typical business speak article I know its not how its done but I would have a lot more respect for them if they just said the truth MS gave us loads of cash to make this exclusive but instead they try and twist it about whats best for the franchise blah blah blah.

I was interested in the new Tomb Raider I liked the reboot quite a bit but its not a system seller this isnt the 1990s anymore im not getting an Xbox One for this game just like im not getting an Xbox one for Killer Instinct (which is a pretty niche franchise anyway tbh).

I have a PC but I doubt it would play it and the file size would probably be to big anyway so the only way I am getting to play it is if its on the PS4 or WiiU. Put it on one of those I will buy at some point otherwise I will make do without.

I am also interested in how long this exclusivity lasts if its remains an exclusive MS must have thrown some serious money away and it is basically away because unless this game rekindles the Tomb Raider fires of the 1990s then its not going to shift many units. Its a game people would get if they had the machine not a game people will get a machine to play basically at least thats how I see it.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
-Ezio- said:
j4c0b1 said:
I hope Microsoft paid you a fortune square because you've just lost thousands of sales.
probably millions of sales.
no exaggeration

the previous game sold 6.5 million copies accross 5 platforms, and apparently it barely broke even

according to VG chartz the Xbox one has sold only 5 million units, will Xbox owners have to buy the game twice to make a profit?

kaioshade

Apr 10, 2011
lacktheknack said:
kaioshade said:

It is baffling.
It really isn't.

Not one bit.

Tomb Raider is not the first, and it most likely will not be the last time a game was moved from one platform to another. Resident Evil did it, PSO, Monster Hunter, Legacy of Kain, Dodonpachi, Fatal Frame, Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid, Dynasty Warriors. i can go on. It is business, sometimes it works out for them, sometimes it bombs. But to get bent out of shape for Tomb Raider, again, is baffling to me, like Microsoft did some great disservice by securing an exclusive title. Nintendo and Sony both do it.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
kaioshade said:
lacktheknack said:
kaioshade said:

It is baffling.
It really isn't.

Not one bit.

Tomb Raider is not the first, and it most likely will not be the last time a game was moved from one platform to another. Resident Evil did it, PSO, Monster Hunter, Legacy of Kain, Dodonpachi, Fatal Frame, Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid, Dynasty Warriors. i can go on. It is business, sometimes it works out for them, sometimes it bombs. But to get bent out of shape for Tomb Raider, again, is baffling to me, like Microsoft did some great disservice by securing an exclusive title. Nintendo and Sony both do it.
None of those games have gone from being multi-platform to being exclusive. In fact, they uniformly did the exact opposite, and Legacy of Kain, Resident Evil (unless you count the period of a few months before the PC version came out), and Metal Gear Solid were never exclusive in the first place.

EDIT: Monster Hunter has admittedly moved around a bit, being juggled between Sony and Nintendo, but 3 was still a multi-platform Nintendo release in technicality. But that's really your only relevant example.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
What is this, dev studio murder/suicide?? The TR reboot already reportedly 'underperformed', with Squeenix poised to throw the entire franchise under the bus, and now they're going to limit their audience? And not even to the 'winning' console of the current generation? The first game was a lot of fun, and I would have liked to play the sequel, but now I won't be able to since someone in charge made a business decision that amounts to pissing on a high voltage electric fence.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
kaioshade said:
lacktheknack said:
kaioshade said:

It is baffling.
It really isn't.

Not one bit.

Uhhhh? Silent Hill has only gone MORE multiplatform over time (minus Origins, which everyone hated anyways), Metal Gear Solid is going multiplatform, Legacy of Kain went multiplatform, etc.

Fatal Frame switched platforms, I'll grant you, as has Bayonetta... and you might notice that people aren't particularly pleased about that either.

Also, I don't believe you for a second. The fact that I'm cheesed that I can't play the next Tomb Raider game, despite being an avid fan for the last 11 installments, does not "baffle" you for an instant.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
kaioshade said:
A lot of people are saying timed exclusivity only because of Ryse and Dead Rising 3. There is no absolute certainty that Tomb Raider will be timed, it may never leave the Xbox One. I could also be dead wrong, no one knows. As risky as the move may be, i think it was an interesting one. I will buy it when it is available. I am fortunate enough to have both consoles.

Since PS4 has the larger market share, i wonder if the vitriol would be as fierce if it was announced as a PS4 exclusive instead?

Its not a new thing mate. This decision with Tomb Raider was bad, the above were outright suicidal (exclusive JRPGs to Xbox? What?) and ended up being ported with enhanced editions to either the PS3, and some even to the PC (remember these are Japanese titles). I've seen Microsoft buy up several exclusives to try to win an audience through sheer force of capital, I didn't bite, neither did most people, and this will be no different.
Like the above I know that if I don't get the titles they buy up on the PS4, I'll be able to at least get it on the PC (like Last Remnant).

Sony have Uncharted already which is going to be dueling with Tomb Raider, they really don't need to pay Tomb Raider to be exclusive when it'd likely cut into the sales of Uncharted (if they release around the same time both exclusive to the PS4).

kaioshade said:
Not one bit.

You're not the first to say this sort of thing around here lately but like I said to them...you're incorrect.

kaioshade

Apr 10, 2011
No denying some games on the 360 went multiplay after being exclusive on the platform. There are other games that stayed exclusive as well. It goes both ways. But it was well known Japan did not take to the 360 very well. Even with the PS4 outselling the XBO here, its not the great disparity in the west as it was between the PS3/360 in Japan. Square Enix is taking a gamble. Good one? Probably not, that was never my argument. However all i am saying is MS is trying to differentiate their system from the PS4 with what could be a good exclusive. Or, the game could wind up terrible and people wonder why they even wanted it multiplat in the first place. Who knows.

cypher-raige

Apr 15, 2014
I really liked the Tomb Raider reboot.
I'm sure it will come to PC eventually. I will just have to wait.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
God damn this console generation.
First BloodBorne and now this. Seriously what the hell happened to the new generation's architecture is going to be close to the PC so ports will be easier... but the PC isn't getting any of these games?

Bonk4licious

Jul 5, 2013
Not sure whether Sony has been playing a "do your worst" power card since getting better sales, because they've let this completely slip, as well as letting Metal Gear, Kingdom Hearts, and Final Fantasy all go XBone on release. Sony doesn't seem too concerned with locking down exclusives like Microsoft.

Honestly at this rate as a PC gamer, with my debate essentially being Halo vs Uncharted/Infamous, I'd probably go XBone because my PC already has good graphics. But that's IF I went console.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
kaioshade said:

It is baffling.
People also complain about world hunger. But they would still take issue with cannibalism as a solution. Microsoft stole this title. It was announced for other systems at E3. This is a recent development.

kaioshade

Apr 10, 2011
Seems there have been some updates. Not confirmed yet, but there are some reports that it is indeed a timed exclusive.
Definitely going to keep an eye on this one.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Bonk4licious said:
Not sure whether Sony has been playing a "do your worst" power card since getting better sales, because they've let this completely slip, as well as letting Metal Gear, Kingdom Hearts, and Final Fantasy all go XBone on release. Sony doesn't seem too concerned with locking down exclusives like Microsoft.

Honestly at this rate as a PC gamer, with my debate essentially being Halo vs Uncharted/Infamous, I'd probably go XBone because my PC already has good graphics. But that's IF I went console.
Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, and Final Fantasy were not lock downed exclusives...okay perhaps Metal Gear 1 was I forget however the rest being exclusive was a product of Nintendo pissing people off during the PS1 era, and the PS2's total dominance during it's era.

??? The conception going round (for some time) is that while you can be sure Sony's exclusives will remain exclusive, Microsoft have few that will remain and so are buying up timed ones to try and offset it.
If I didn't already know it'd be going down like this from experience when picking something (know that I have a PC) I'd go PS4 for the simple fact that I knew anything that may be interesting exclusive to the Xbone will more than likely end up on the PC/PS4 and being a big boy I can wait.

Bonk4licious

Jul 5, 2013
Rozalia1 said:
Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, and Final Fantasy were not lock downed exclusives...okay perhaps Metal Gear 1 was I forget however the rest being exclusive was a product of Nintendo pissing people off during the PS1 era, and the PS2's total dominance during it's era.

??? The conception going round (for some time) is that while you can be sure Sony's exclusives will remain exclusive, Microsoft have few that will remain and so are buying up timed ones to try and offset it.
If I didn't already know it'd be going down like this from experience when picking something (know that I have a PC) I'd go PS4 for the simple fact that I knew anything that may be interesting exclusive to the Xbone will more than likely end up on the PC/PS4 and being a big boy I can wait.
Metal Gear Solid 1 was exclusive, Metal Gear 2 was the only one that hit the original XBox (after a year on the PS2), and MGS4 never went to Microsoft. So XBox got MGS2, and Sony locked the others down until HD Remakes in the next generation, although never giving up MGS4. Numerous Final Fantasy titles never went to Microsoft at all and even last gen, FF13 was supposed to be PS3-only but got converted to multi-platform. And Kingdom Hearts only just went to Microsoft, after a generation of being Sony and Nintendo-exclusive. Not to mention companies like Insomniac that used to be only Sony leaving to do work for multi-platform publishers.

Microsoft doesn't just give up IP's. While the IP at hand, Tomb Raider, might and probably will go back to Sony eventually, games like Halo and Gears of War stay on the XBox. Sony's lost a bit of their hand in the fight, so hopefully they hold on to the IPs they have and develop some more in the future.