Next Transformers Film Won't Be A Reboot

Omechron

Apr 15, 2009
fi6eka said:
Since Bay is not gonna make another Transformers, what's next for him - A Voltron movie?
The running joke has been a Gundam movie.

It'd be pretty funny to have him put his "the army is the best thing anywhere ever forever" crap into a series that is primarily about the fact that war sucks and it destroys or damages absolutely everyone involved.

Plus at least Gundam's robots are supposed to be just vehicles (literally and figuratively) for human drama involving teenage boys coming of age. As opposed to, you know, the whole point of the story.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
If that's the case, I'm not even sure what direction this could go. They already ruined it a la Indiana Jones.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
-Samurai- said:
By the third movie, people know exactly what they're getting in to. You could figure out after the first movie that it isn't 100% robots. Expecting the human plot to be dropped in favor of giant robot battles is moronic. That's not how sequels work(good ones, any way). When you go see a Transformers movie, you know you're getting a human romance/fight for survival plot, as well as the robots. And if you don't agree with that, don't go see it.

And we both know that if there was no human plot, people would be complaining that Transformers is three movies of two teams of robots fighting the same battles over and over. How many times can people watch the same robot turn into the same vehicle, and vice versa?

Transformers gets slammed because it's popular. Michael Bay gets slammed because he made something popular, and is successful. The general public isn't stupid. If the movies were half as bad as the band wagon haters say, there never would have been a second one made.
Just because it is, doesn't mean that they should have. The original animated movie barely had any humans in them and yet it was a box-office hit when it came out. The first cartoon series and the movie that was used as a gateway between generation one and two were aimed at kids. Their respective quality is debatable because it was a kids show. Look at modern day cartoons, they are absolute crap, yet kids love it. Their standards are not the same as that of an adult.

That being said, Transformers is more than just a few cartoons. There is the whole comicbook series which got pretty damn dark and violent as it went on. You are curious to see how Transformers could make a good story with JUST robots and next to no humans? Read the comic-books. Everything is in there, from humor to action to self-sacrifice to some robot romance (very little though, seeing as how there are just a few female robots). And this is just the original comic-book series from the 80's.
You should read some of the newer comic books that came out, absolutely gorgeous artwork, brutal violence and a real story to them. They far exceed the level of the Bay movies, but guess what? They still have humans in them who actually feel like they are where they should be and provide some necessary scale and relativity to the comics. Heck, there is even one woman who falls in love with the Autobot Jazz.

Whoever will direct the new trilogy, even if they go from the Micheal Bay movies, there is plenty of source material to use. Hundreds of robot characters that would make excellent screen-fillers and you don't even have to resource to throwing in a hot babe purely for the sake of selling a few more tickets.

Omechron

Apr 15, 2009
CriticKitten said:
Cowabungaa said:
-snipped above portion-

*sigh* One Indy film had a centuries old Templar knight that didn't die and a box that melted faces off. People should stop bitching about the damn aliens, Indy flicks have weirder shit than that.
I'll agree that aliens aren't a big deal compared to things like an eternally-alive Templar knight, a chest that can melt people's faces, and a cult of people who can remove your heart still-beating from your chest by stabbing into your chest with their fingers (which I like to pretend is where Bleach got its obsession with hands that can stab through people's chests >_> <_<).

But let's not pretend that the movie didn't REAAAAAALLY push the boundaries of what is believable. This movie, from start to finish, was so difficult to believe that it felt like a typical modern action movie filled with ridiculous concepts and an impossible-to-kill lead character, rather than an Indiana Jones film.
More importantly, it's thematically different. Other Indiana Jones movies are about digging up ancient and mystical artifacts with crazy mystical legends about them, and then having those legends turn out to be true.

That's like saying because Alien VS Predator has aliens in it you can just throw in some vampire stuff.

Mr. Gency

Jan 26, 2010
vansau said:
Shia Labeouf and Michael Bay have both stated that they're <a href=http://www.thetransformers.net/bay-leaves-transformers-6706.html>not coming back for another Transformers movie.
I was going to say that everything is bad news until Bay stops making Transformers movies, and then I read this.

Then, I looked at the link and saw that Bay didn't work on the third transformers movie. Even though I remember the commercials saying it's a film by Micheal Bay. Then Bay says he wants to make a movie without explosions?

Confound these Escapist articles

They drive me to confusion

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
FFFuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu- Wait, no Shia Labeouf? Oh, then it might work.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Soviet Heavy said:
If they do a Beast Wars Prequel, I'm gonna kill someone.
if they did beast wars it would be way in the future unless they pull the whole time changing stuff.

OT: Id rather them stop the movies sucked and did the chars poorly reboot and let someone who knows the sorce material well do the movies

redeemer09

Jan 19, 2009
OrokuSaki said:
-Samurai- said:
Transformers gets slammed because it's popular. Michael Bay gets slammed because he made something popular, and is successful. The general public isn't stupid. If the movies were half as bad as the band wagon haters say, there never would have been a second one made.
I'd like to disagree on the basis that the general populace are an ignorant bunch of tools that can be outsmarted by a dog in a silly hat. X-Men Origins Wolverine did incredibly well and was generally popular but we don't slam Wolverine because we're jealous, we slam it because if we don't then they'll idealize it as a movie.

Also the general populace thinks that "The Hurt Locker" was the best movie of 2010. It was a mediocre-at-best war drama with no relatable characters.

As the killing blow, the general populace is stupid because they can be convinced that evolution is a lie. Seriously, any person that truly believes that regardless of SCIENTIFIC FACT we aren't the product of the development of a lesser species just needs to die.
even though i dont agree with your last statement.but you make a point...i mean look at

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

I only saw the first one and thats more then enough!

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
You know what movie I want to see? That movie we saw for five minutes at the beginning of Dark of the Moon: The War on Cybertron. THAT. LOOKED. AWESOME. It's like Terminator, in that I want a Terminator movie based entirely in the future with that war we're always being shown glimpses of.
Well, at least this guy recognizes the problem of having humans take up too much of the screen time. He doesn't seem to care, but at least he's aware of it. Perhaps there's hope. I don't mind humans in the Transformer movies, but when the final battle focuses more on them instead of the Transformers (and a certain Decepticon gets taken out by a KID), then we have a problem.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Well, at least now Bay can be free from the chains of this atrocious franchise.

Whatever else happens to it is none of my concern.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
gamezombieghgh said:
Say what you want, the Aliens were some weird shit though
True, but would it be Indy without weird shit?
The_root_of_all_evil said:
It's all a question of keeping within the genre. Once you're within the genre walls, anything is feasible. Step outside, and people demand realism.

(See the latest James Bond movies, where it's more realistic than Goldfinger, say, but less believable)
So how did it jump out of the genre? It's still an adventure movie isn't it? It's not like the aliens suddenly made it sci-fi or anything. I mean Bond made a rather radical (and lame) turn lately, but was Indy 4 also such a radical turn?

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
After watching 3 yesterday i must say when the film ended i thought "that was a good place to finish the franchise" then i read this... so there just planning on dragging it out like so many other movies e.g. the first 3 star wars (or to the regular person the last 3)...

I may watch it, but my bet is it just be robots fighting it out in the next film, conquer with CGI and explosions route i guess.

Domehammer

Jun 17, 2011
The only villain I can think of after someone commented so many decepticons died is Unicron. Unless Unicron was died in movie 2 or 3. I never really watched the other movies after watching first.