Ninja Theory Defends Dante Redesign [UPDATED]

chinomareno

Sep 4, 2010
I didn't think giant red trench coats, massive swords and white hair were in fashion for the last 8 years. Dantes character didn't walk into Tokyo bars to impress people or smoke like a tool the last time I saw him.

I pick the guy fighting Dead Pool in the MvsC3 trailers over this redesign any day.

joemu362

Jul 5, 2010
The new look isn't bad, per se. Admittedly, I was pretty shocked at seeing it, but being a DMC fan, I think I'm more concerned about whether or not the classic Dante 'tude will still be there. If he's just some angry angst-driven character anymore, THEN that's when I'd feel like the new take on him turned pear-shaped. All in all though, I'm holding onto my judgments until it's out.

Icynoodles

May 26, 2010
I'm not a fan of the new look Dante, he looks like a crack addict but that isn't my highest concern. My highest concern is the fact that it is a reboot of the franchise
Granted rebooting works well in a lot of occasions, but it also means there is nothing stopping the game developers making the story line nothing like the originals.

In short, the backstory should stay fairly close to the original (i.e Dante is the son of Sparda etc), and by the end of the game he should be awesome enough to make strawberry sundaes look butch
Other than that, do whatever.

Joeman121

Nov 12, 2016
Dr. McD said:
LeonLethality said:
Since when was emo cooler than badass?
I think it's less "emo" and more "druggie".

"If Dante, dressed as he was, walked into any bar outside of Tokyo, he'd get laughed out,"
-And this Dante looks like a drug addicted male prostitute, "skinny little ****" is not the same as thing as "cool".

"Ninja Theory creative director Tameem Antoniades, who some have pointed out looks like the new Dante (which he claims wasn't intentional)".

-This explains a so much.

"What Devil May Cry did when it launched was it brought everything that was great about action cinema like the fashion, music -- it was like a cultural melting pot -- and I feel like now, for Devil May Cry to have that same impact, it needs to draw on new things. New music, new ways of cinematography, new fashion."

-The entire point of Devil May Cry is going around killing demons and spouting one liners, yes, that is the point, Devil May Cry isn't about being serious and gritty, it's about a man (who's also half-demon, because demons are cool) killing demons and being a badass non-smoker (because smoking is a "gritty" character trait, and Devil May Cry is about being the OPPOSITE of gritty).

And for everyone saying his old design was bad, it reflected his personality, everything about it said he was a calm, cool ladies man, he was not a macho man, not a brooding pretty boy, but a manly man. And new design just says "dark and gritty drug addict", something that isn't exactly new.
Bump, but Dante is the opposite of manly, Kirby is more masculine compare to that kurt kobain edge head.

Joeman121

Nov 12, 2016
JPH330 said:
LeonLethality said:
Since when was emo cooler than badass?
>implying that Dante was ever badass to begin with
Both Deadpool and Dante IMO come off as Spider-Man wannbes with a edgy quota. Literally there wise cracking nature comes from Peter Parker in terms of tone and being playful about it as well.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
I wonder if anyone's even played DmC because it didn't exactly take itself that seriously either.

People really got on Ninja Theory's ass for this but you know what?

1. It's not the original devs and they know they're not the original devs so they're doing their own thing.
2. Speaking as a heavy NGII and NGB fan, I liked the gameplay.
3. Dante in this new one still has a pretty uncaring attitude (within limits) so I have no idea what some of you are talking about.
4. He's SUPPOSED to look and act kinda young because he IS young. He's not supposed to be Zorro here, guys.