Ninja Theory's Hellblade Deletes Your Save if You Die Too Many Times

Shadefyre

Mar 25, 2008
I guess you guys haven't caught up to the train that's confirmed the permadeath is actually a lie that never happens in game, and that the corruption will actually just stop increasing/gets reset at set points in the game.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
It reminds me of the ideas Kojima had about games that would destroy themselves when you died, or had to play it during daylight to make it easier. This seems forgiving by comparison... Of course, if he made it the whole world would be praising him for his creative genius.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
So this isn't true? And total biscuit doesn't know what he's talking about? Surprise, surprise.

A shame, I like the idea.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
All of you complaining about the perma-death?
Kinda whiny. The game gives you consequences, and for game that seems to be about more than the action, it's fitting.

Honestly if this is real, I'm even more interested in it than I was before. It's interesting, and not there just for punishment, probably,

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
A game with tangible, negative consequences for my actions, forcing me to take my choices and actions seriously, instead of being cavalier with the character's life because it's just a game right? Cool. I'm in favor of this.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Happyninja42 said:
A game with tangible, negative consequences for my actions, forcing me to take my choices and actions seriously, instead of being cavalier with the character's life because it's just a game right? Cool. I'm in favor of this.
I dunno, losing several hours of progress because I had a few problems with a specific encounter seems more like a big middle finger to me, where the game tells me that it doesn't want me to play it.
In which case, I gladly take action and not even buy it, either.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Fox12 said:
So this isn't true? And total biscuit doesn't know what he's talking about? Surprise, surprise.

The game literally implies that it happens, so it's hardly his fault.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Veldie said:
This is a cool mechanic but forcing it on players is not a cool thing.
First response and absolutely correct.

Let the distinction on how it was finished be made in the trophy/achievement section.
People who finish it without get the complete trophy, people who finish it active get the true completion trophy/achievement.
Maybe call it 'lights off' or something to tie in with the implied fear of the darkness.

I personally like it as a mechanic.
Pretty fond of permadeath modes in games that I play, but not at the expense of those gamers who I know do not appreciate it and would prefer to play without.

Ugicywapih

May 15, 2014
This is a spoiler, so I'll tag it appropriately, but apparently...
The game leads you to believe it will delete your save because it has an overarching theme of fear, of what's in your head being perhaps your most dangerous enemy. It's meant to be stressful and it achieves this by threatening impending permadeath. This is however just a meta-based trick to establish the mood, you are never really at risk of actually losing your save. Apparently. I hadn't played the game myself, but Jim's reworked review states that pretty clearly

...Well, for the spoiler-averse folks - don't worry your heads about it too much.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
It interests me that I learned this game even existed a few weeks ago, and while I appreciate the idea of the kind of game they wanted to make (both with this game and creating a place for these kinds of games in the industry) ultimately I've steered clear of it. Not due to this permadeath mechanic obviously, I didn't even know that was a thing until the day of release.

I'm avoiding it because while each review I've taken in has differed GREATLY on what the general plot/premise is even supposed to be every review does feature 2 things in common. They all showcase the most boring, simplistic, and repetitive looking combat the game could easily have nixed with no love lost due to the merits of its narrative. They also show off the constant voices in your head that I wanted to mute the reviews for because they were truly annoying even after a few lines. The puzzles also seem to consist of perspective puzzles the wouldn't make it into the tutorial of The Witness.

It looks visually great and the acting as well. However I don't even have the desire to WATCH a playthrough of it let alone buy it.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Bindal said:
Happyninja42 said:
I dunno, losing several hours of progress because I had a few problems with a specific encounter seems more like a big middle finger to me, where the game tells me that it doesn't want me to play it.
In which case, I gladly take action and not even buy it, either.
I dunno, this seems right in line with the sadistic mentality of people who love the Dark Souls series, specifically because it's hard. As they would say "get gud". I don't mind the rule, and personally like it.

Matthew Lynch

Jun 26, 2010
personally...I never like games that have permadeath...I always choose the difficulty setting to disable it (as all games that I have played with permadeath usually have it in the maximum difficulty setting...I;m looking at you, Doom)

The idea that this game would force it on you, seems unfair...putting easter egg hunters like me off from my favourite past time of exploring the map as I go. Its kind of a shame as the game itself looks fun...but with my current stress in my life, adding in worrying that my save could be deleted cause a certain boss keeps cleaning my clock would just make things worse...people are welcome to call me a try hard or something (I've heard all the insults that some players have for casual players like me) but...well you're welcome to a high stress game like this...

Ravenbom

Oct 24, 2008
I think it's actually a cool mechanic, reminds me of Eternal Darkness when your console suddenly went to BIOS, reset, image inverted or a roach crawled into your screen...

In fact, a lot of this game seems to call back to Eternal Darkness, what with the sanity and meta-game psych-outs. It's only $30 on Steam so I think I might pick it up this weekend.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
09philj said:
Fox12 said:

The game literally implies that it happens, so it's hardly his fault.
You could always, you know.... Verify your facts before making an ass of yourself on Twitter.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Aren't most saves uploaded to 'the cloud' now?

When I got the 'deletes all the things' save from Nier I just downloaded my save from 'teh cloud' and all was right in the world so...

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Fox12 said:
You could always, you know.... Verify your facts before making an ass of yourself on Twitter.
The game straight up tells that your save will be deleted after too many deaths. Apparently it's a lie to freak out the player.

I don't actually mind them doing that, but they don't get to complain about being misjudged on the basis of their own misinformation.

If I untruthfully tell you that I really enjoy molesting kittens I can't blame you if you don't want to hang out any more.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I didn't even have too much care about this mechanic but I watched Jim Sterling's review and a couple LP's of it and the game doesn't even look remotely fun.
I can appreciate the attempt at elevating a concept like mental illness into something playable, intractable, and even accurate but fuck me that game doesn't look fun to get through at all.
Going to pass, and removed it from my wishlist.