Nintendo Aiming 2DS at "Young Kids"

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Nintendo Aiming 2DS at "Young Kids"

Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime hopes to sell the company's new handheld to kids ages five to seven.

In addition to announcing that the Wii U would be getting a price cut, Nintendo recently revealed a new addition to its hardware library: <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127261-Nintendo-Announces-2DS-Wii-U-Deluxe-Price-Cut>the 2DS. Priced at a $129.99, the 2DS will drop the 3D functionality of the 3DS and repackage the handheld as an always open gaming device available in red/black and blue/black when it launches on October 12th. With the 3DS already <a href=http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/07/3ds_and_animal_crossing_new_leaf_drive_strong_us_sales_in_june>selling well and priced only $40 higher than the 2DS however, some were perhaps confused as to who this new handheld was aimed at.

Speaking in an interview with CNBC, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime offered some clarification. "What we did here was we focused in on a key consumer segment, the consumer that right now for the standard 3DS, $170 is a bit of a higher price point," he said. "So this device... it fits that consumer and also by taking out the 3D feature it allows us to target very young kids: five, six, seven years old."

When he puts it like that, the 2DS almost makes sense. While the 3DS was initially sold on its 3D screen, it was a feature that required a certain level of physical control. To use it you had to hold it at just the right position in front of your face, something that could arguably be difficult for a younger child. Likewise, the clam-shell design of the 3DS, drawn as it was from the monstrously successful DS, could also be fragile at times. While the 2DS arguably resembles an Etch-a-Sketch, it also can't have it's screen bent back too far and broken by a rough child.

Source: CNBC via <a href=http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/29/4671052/nintendo-2ds-targeting-demographic-of-very-young-kids-says-nintendo>Polygon

Hazzard

Jan 25, 2012
They're selling this because they believe the reason that the 3DS selling badly is that parents were too worried about the health risks people talked about to buy it. I have no idea how true this is, but it's something that scares people.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
Cheaper than a 3DS and without the 3D, which I can't see anyway? This is looking more promising.

They still need to make Final Fantasy Tactics A3D first, though.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
Hazzard said:
They're selling this because they believe the reason that the 3DS selling badly is that parents were too worried about the health risks people talked about to buy it. I have no idea how true this is, but it's something that scares people.
I'm guessing it's selling really well to 10+, based on Nintendo's financials and retail stores saying it is selling well, but yeah the 5-9 kids probably aren't getting that many 3DS consoles. $130 makes for a really cheap and durable kid's tablet that can play Pokemon and Mario, so it seems like a no-brainer.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Tanakh said:
Hazzard said:
the 3DS selling badly
Is this true?
No, Nintendo has been posting really strong sales for the 3DS. They had a brief slump after the impressive launch sales, but that ended right after Nintendo dropped the price and released more games.

I imagine this is in response to Nintendo realizing that with their pricy proprietary 3D screens, the system just can't drop in price anymore realistically, but with the new Pokemon's coming out they really wanted to maximize sales to younger people. So they did this.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
I'm interested in it. I've been considering buying a 3DS, but I really don't want to waste that much money on a handheld, plus games. I could use that money for much better things. This one's at least cheaper, and I can't say I care for the 3D if all the games works anyway.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
subtlefuge said:
$130 makes for a really cheap and durable kid's tablet that can play Pokemon and Mario, so it seems like a no-brainer.
This has made me realize I have curious standards, would spend $200 bucks no questions asked on fighting sticks, mouses or keyboards, but at $130 I feel this is overpriced for a whole console.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Hazzard said:
They're selling this because they believe the reason that the 3DS selling badly-
Imma stop you right there. I don't even like Nintendo at the moment but I have to say that the 3DS is actually selling well and has a decent library of games. Also, the health concerns that the 3DS has are now a non issue as with the majority of gimmick features that Nintendo jams into their products, very little devs outside of Nintendo are even bothering to use it.

The 2DS has literally no reason to exists. It may be marketed or small children, but Nintendo has to look at who'll be buying this thing. Parents who don't game. And parents who don't game are easily confused. We now have a DS, DSi, DS Lite, DS XL, 3DS, 3DS XL, and the 2DS. All of which most parent call "a Nintendo."

Had they just kept the design that let the console fold and kept the portable console be, oh I dunno, portable, this would have been a good idea.

This looks like a mess. This is also Nintendo admitting that the 3D was a gimmick after all.

Hazzard

Jan 25, 2012
Jumwa said:
Tanakh said:
Hazzard said:
the 3DS selling badly
Is this true?
No, Nintendo has been posting really strong sales for the 3DS. They had a brief slump after the impressive launch sales, but that ended right after Nintendo dropped the price and released more games.

I imagine this is in response to Nintendo realizing that with their pricy proprietary 3D screens, the system just can't drop in price anymore realistically, but with the new Pokemon's coming out they really wanted to maximize sales to younger people. So they did this.
I was under the impression it was selling badly, I suppose that comes from listening to the Content Patch by Total Biscuit, I haven't heard anything from anywhere else to say it's doing well, but I don't go to any places games-wise other than here, TWCenter, Total Biscuit and Taleworlds. With Taleworlds and TWCenter being focused on their respective games.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Hazzard said:
Jumwa said:
Tanakh said:
Hazzard said:
the 3DS selling badly
Is this true?

I was under the impression it was selling badly, I suppose that comes from listening to the Content Patch by Total Biscuit, I haven't heard anything from anywhere else to say it's doing well, but I don't go to any places games-wise other than here, TWCenter, Total Biscuit and Taleworlds. With Taleworlds and TWCenter being focused on their respective games.
How'd you get that? I listen to Content Patch as well, and I've never got the impression that the 3DS has been doing poorly, at least for the last couple of months. It is currently the number 1 selling console and with Pokemon on the rise, its placement doesn't seem to vanish anytime soon. Now, the Wii U sales have been slogging but Nintendo as a whole have been rising from its slump thanks to 3DS sales.

OT: No surprise there. The 2DS looks to cover all bases. In fact, with this feature, the 2/3DS seems to be the control for the console market this holiday. Its cheap, has tons of games, and is portable. It seems to be a really nice present for Christmas.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
BAHAHAHAHA!!! So wait we have a device "aimed at kids" that has ZERO protection for the screen and it structured in such a manner to put that screen flush on the face of it? Nintendo always thinking of ways for kids to break things and beg for another. If it was really aimed at kids and meant to last.... Recede the screen from the face of the unit and provide a cover for the system that lets them play with it on... I am thinking a flip down with a clear hard plastic cover.

recurve6

Jan 8, 2011
Well, I'm almost 21 and I'm probably going to get one because 1)FUCK 3D 2)I'm cheap, and 3)The hinges always break on my Nintendo handhelds. A carrying case seems almost mandatory, though, since there's really no other way to keep the screens from getting destroyed, aside from buying silicon screen protectors all the time.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Question: What kid would want this? Its big, not portable, cannot be folded, and doesn't even come with the 3d.
I'm a Nintendo fanboy, and even I think this is stupid!

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I can see why they dropped both the 3D and the hinges. 3D is about as good for your eyes as looking at the sun while jamming cocktail forks into your corneas, doubly so for younger kids Nintendo is aiming this at. Parents who don't get the fact you can turn off the 3D or think this kid will just turn it back on might get this if 3D was a deal breaker. And, unless they made a solid foundation out of metal to strengthen it(which would cost more dough and add weight), the hinges are too weak for an age group that might use it as a baseball bat. But, they could at least add a nice snap on cover since you now have 2 lcd screens in the line of fire there, and we all know buying a cover as an accessory is going to cost $15 for a cheap piece of plastic.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
They should have kept it foldable. It'll likely be too unwieldy in this form. Dropping the 3D in exchange for a lower price point will make it attractive to many people outside the age group they are targeting, since I'm guessing that a lot of them don't care about the 3D and this is effectively a straight-up price drop for them...

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
so a 3DS without 3D, meaning nothing of value lost but the thing is cheaper? good move nintendo, good move.

Electromagnet

Jul 31, 2012
So this is aimed at kids 5-7? At that age range the parents would have to buy games for them. These parents probably know nothing about the systems. They won't buy 3DS games because the system is called the 2DS. Bad move, Nintendo.