Nintendo Announces 2DS, Wii U Deluxe Price Cut

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
On the flat design, do people really play DS and 3DS with the top screen all the way down? I play it one notch up from flat.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
This actually would have appealed to me apart from a few key factors. 1 being I already own a 3DS, but I guess that's besides the point.

The downsides seem to be the flat design: Not allowing the machine to close will leave it open to scratching and it looks like it'll be a bit awkward to fit in a pocket. And the size: I'd totally go for this if the screens and buttons turned out to be as big as the XL, or if there was a 2DS XL. But judging from the picture (which i'll admit is difficult) it looks to be a smaller system overall, probably designed for tiny hands if their target market is any indication.

They seem to be marketing this in an odd way. I think there's a significant market for people willing to forgo the pointless 3D gimmick for a cheaper price. There's plenty of reasons to own a 3DS system, but the pseudo 3D aspect is not one of them.

It's kinda like how I'd be much more inclined to consider buying an Xbox One if there was a cheaper version without Kinect. You might say that them selling their products without those gimmicks would just weaken the brand of the gimmick overall, but I almost always prefer the no-frills sale if I can get one.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Okay, what the hell? I go to be for ONE NIGHT and this shit happens. Dunno what they were thinking, maybe they're seeing something I'm incapable of seeing because I'm not on their level, but this eyesore looks like a huge step backward. I'm really confused. My mind is blown here.

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
I feel like I'm one of the few who actually likes the design. Sure its design has a few flaws that most hardcore gamers will take notice of (no clamshell to protect the screens, probably won't fit in pants pockets), but to the intended audience of kids they probably couldn't care less. That and the cheaper price point probably means more kiddies will be getting this rather than the 3DS proper. Heck I'd be willing to buy one myself if I didn't already own a perfectly good 3DS XL.

Another

Mar 19, 2008
Nice to hear about the price drop.

And honestly the 2DS looks like a great children's handheld. Is it for me or most people on this forum, hell no, but I could see someone buying this for a child who really wants to play pokemon or mario. Also it's nice to see a handheld announcement from nintendo that isn't a straight upgrade. Cause I'm still mad about my phat DS going obsolete for the lite in short order (but they never topped the lite with further iterations, just can't beat GBA compatibility)

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Apparently the 2DS is only stereo if you use headphones.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/oh-so-thats-nintendos-next-move

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Honestly, just work on improving the screen for the 3DS XL and bring the "3D Off" parental control setting to the forefront of your marketing...why compete with yourself?

Oh well, here's hoping the previous models go cheaper, so I can finally buy one!

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Oh god it's real. I though this was a joke when I saw it earlier. Not the prettiest thing is it? I'd still pay more for a 3ds and just turn the 3d off given the choice. Come to think of it how will games that utilise the 3d effects fair without the option to use the 3d when needed?

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Bindal said:
So, it is basically a better 3DS, that you can't fold? Good.
Better 3DS?

My 3DS can play games in 2D too. It has this little slider that turns the 3D on or off and my 3DS has stereo speakers and my 3DS folds down so I can put it in my pocket.

So, what's better about the 2DS? Just the price tag?

The Artificially Prolonged said:
Oh god it's real. I though this was a joke when I saw it earlier. Not the prettiest thing is it? I'd still pay more for a 3ds and just turn the 3d off given the choice. Come to think of it how will games that utilise the 3d effects fair without the option to use the 3d when needed?
Bigger problem, future games will likely not use the 3D much since they have to consider the 2DS. You know, the whole "if it doesn't come in the box then third party devs won't use it" thing.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
WeepingAngels said:
I guess the 3DS isn't doing as good as people believe. There is no reason for Nintendo to release a cheaper version to directly compete against the 3DS unless they felt they had to.

It needs the clamshell design but other than that, I kinda like it.
The 3DS is doing pretty darn well for itself.
This is presented as another alternative. Not a competitor.
It is not an upgrade, and it has no intention of impressing owners who currently own a 3DS or are planning to get one.
I mean, the things is even cheaper than the standard 3DS.

This particular device is specifically for an age group of kids.
A lot of kids can't really handle the 3D aspect. Yeah you can turn it off, but let's get real about kids here. Sometimes they do things that harm them anyway just because of the nicer visuals.
Also the launch date is pretty smart.
Pokemon X and Y comes on that date as well.
So parents whose kids don't have a 3DS but want the game are saving a bit more when it comes buying both the hardware and the software (and it's not like those cool Pokemon 3DS XL devices with the games already in it are coming to the US anyway.)

On that note, I do think the design is...urgh. But again, it's necessary for the demographic at hand.
You'd be amazed how many kids break the hinges on their DS anything within the first month of owning the system.
Like all devices like this, I expect that the screens are even more beefed up.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
That looks... really ugly. And fumbly. I doubt my tiny hands will be able to hold that, I can't imagine a child can.
It looks a bit like a tablet which I suppose is what they were going for? At least it won't be as easy to snap in half with kids but it still looks like a daft design.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Dragonbums said:
WeepingAngels said:
I guess the 3DS isn't doing as good as people believe. There is no reason for Nintendo to release a cheaper version to directly compete against the 3DS unless they felt they had to.

It is not an upgrade, and it has no intention of impressing owners who currently own a 3DS or are planning to get one.

A lot of kids can't really handle the 3D aspect. Yeah you can turn it off, but let's get real about kids here. Sometimes they do things that harm them anyway just because of the nicer visuals.
So parents whose kids don't have a 3DS but want the game are saving a bit more when it comes buying both the hardware and the software (and it's not like those cool Pokemon 3DS XL devices with the games already in it are coming to the US anyway.)

On that note, I do think the design is...urgh. But again, it's necessary for the demographic at hand.
You'd be amazed how many kids break the hinges on their DS anything within the first month of owning the system.
At $40 cheaper it will be competing against the 3DS sitting right beside it on the shelf. Nintendo already knows that this will directly compete against the 3DS both for shelf space and price but they must have thought it necessary. I find it hard to believe that the 3DS is flying off shelves if Nintendo released this.

Also, the no 3D for kids is simple to fix without designing a whole new handheld that would hurt 3DS sales, parental controls that totally disable 3D.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
That is one wonked out design.
I honestly did not see that coming.

However guys I don't think this is Nintendo competing with itself here. They are just giving an even cheaper alternative for parents on a budget and little kids that really can't handle the 3D aspect of the device.
Nothing really noteworthy in that department.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
This is a joke, TELL ME this is a Joke!!!

I give a crap about the 3d - I'd LOVE 2D NDS but the Flipping Case was the BEST THING ever invented for a handheld console!

This case looks like a brain-fart pre April prank.
Make the 2dND a Flip Case and I'll buy it tomorrow.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Dragonbums said:

However guys I don't think this is Nintendo competing with itself here. They are just giving an even cheaper alternative for parents on a budget and little kids that really can't handle the 3D aspect of the device.
The bolded is Nintendo competing against itself.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
WeepingAngels said:
Bindal said:
So, it is basically a better 3DS, that you can't fold? Good.
Better 3DS?

My 3DS can play games in 2D too. It has this little slider that turns the 3D on or off and my 3DS has stereo speakers and my 3DS folds down so I can put it in my pocket.

So, what's better about the 2DS? Just the price tag?

The Artificially Prolonged said:
Bigger problem, future games will likely not use the 3D much since they have to consider the 2DS. You know, the whole "if it doesn't come in the box then third party devs won't use it" thing.
You're probably right there. It firmly puts the 3D in the gimmick category. Personally I always thought that but I've only had some limited experience playing 3DS games so I cannot really vouch for how extensive the useful application of 3D is outside of some first party games. But likely that will stop now as well as Nintendo devs can't guarantee that the userbase will have the 3D available to them.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I have no idea at all with the concept, either it being a more kid friendly 3DS or a 3DS without the 3D, but I just think it looks like a terrible design to actually use. In terms of comfort of actually holding it and playing it, it looks like barely a step up from the original NES controller. Also, while I can understand that it's designed in large part for kids, does it really have to look so much like a toy?

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
WeepingAngels said:
Dragonbums said:
WeepingAngels said:

At $40 cheaper it will be competing against the 3DS sitting right beside it on the shelf. Nintendo already knows that this will directly compete against the 3DS both for shelf space and price but they must have thought it necessary. I find it hard to believe that the 3DS is flying off shelves if Nintendo released this.

Also, the no 3D for kids is simple to fix without designing a whole new handheld that would hurt 3DS sales, parental controls that totally disable 3D.
That's like saying the 3DS XL is competing with the regular 3DS.
This is still in the same branch as the 3DS. Whether people choose to buy a 3DS or a 2DS is irrelevant because at the end of the day, they are still getting the money anyway.
The total sales of 3DS's worldwide are around 342 million units. Even more to come when X and Y comes out. That is hardly a sign of a handheld in trouble.
They didn't find the new design necessary.
They were simply being considerate and decided to make a cheaper version of the 3DS excluding a few features. This isn't meant to lure a large demographic of people.
This is meant for those who can't see 3D due to being stereo blind, thus having no reason for purchasing the devices, and parents who are tight on money, but really want to get their kids a handheld that can play the current games.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
WeepingAngels said:
Dragonbums said:

The bolded is Nintendo competing against itself.
Again, how?
How can they compete with themselves by simply making an alternative model to the same system. The 3DS is still being sold. Regardless of it being the 2D one or the 3D one.
It's still bringing in a larger userbase.
Remember the thing can still play 3DS games.
If these things fly off shelves this will mean more good news to them because that is an even larger user base that they can sell their software to.