Nintendo Announces 2DS, Wii U Deluxe Price Cut

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
I just noticed that this wasn't talked about.

The market that the 2DS is aiming for - Toddlers with tablets - are primarily centered around the touch mechanic, along with a few other sensors the tablets may possess such as the tiltometer, with all the action happening on one screen. However, the 2DS uses two screens, and has two primary input mechanics - Buttons and touch. I'm wondering if they realized that the complexity of the 2DS might actually frustrate this intended audience. Also, seeing the lack of flexibility the 2DS is as a device, going against tablets in general is a very daring task - Either Nintendo is going to look like a fool and utterly fail in getting people who are on the fence, or somehow succeed and prove that handhelds and their limited purpose are still viable in a time where many devices are expected to do as much as possible.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Dr.Awkward said:
The market that the 2DS is aiming for - Toddlers with tablets
I didn't see any toddlers playing the 2DS in this ad. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAExBTWIp3M

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
I thought for sure this was a very late April fools joke. The title sounds silly and the console looks absurdly chunky.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Sooo, they decided to take their portable handheld system and make it less portable. It kind of looks likes the bastard child of a WiiU and a 3DS. At least it is cheap and got rid of the 3D gimmick.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Dr.Awkward said:
I just noticed that this wasn't talked about.

The market that the 2DS is aiming for - Toddlers with tablets - are primarily centered around the touch mechanic, along with a few other sensors the tablets may possess such as the tiltometer, with all the action happening on one screen. However, the 2DS uses two screens, and has two primary input mechanics - Buttons and touch. I'm wondering if they realized that the complexity of the 2DS might actually frustrate this intended audience. Also, seeing the lack of flexibility the 2DS is as a device, going against tablets in general is a very daring task - Either Nintendo is going to look like a fool and utterly fail in getting people who are on the fence, or somehow succeed and prove that handhelds and their limited purpose are still viable in a time where many devices are expected to do as much as possible.
Why is it that once something is rectangular in shape it's automatically a tablet?
This isn't a tablet.
It might as well be a giant Gameboy or something.

Kids aren't that stupid either.
The DS family line has been around for about a decade now.
Children now a days are exposed to touch screen devices on a daily basis. The moment they see this thing. (Along with the other DS handhelds.) they know it's going to be touch in some way shape or form.

It's main function is to be durable. Portability comes second. Not like I carry my 3DS in my pockets. Most of the time it's in my backpack anyway.
This is targeted at a very niche audience.
Toddlers, those with stereo blindness, and people who get headaches easily from the 3D aspect. Nothing more, nothing less.
This is a device clearly not meant for us and as such we can simply just buy their regular models.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
WeepingAngels said:
Dr.Awkward said:
I didn't see any toddlers playing the 2DS in this ad. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAExBTWIp3M
That ad is probably designed to get the attention of the parents of the toddlers, so that when they decide to buy such a device, the 2DS proves itself as something that can be fun both for the parent and the kid. It won't be the toddler who buys the 2DS, after all...

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Oh look a bunch of people bitching and whining about a system that they're not forced to get and isn't even designed or market towards them! What a shocking development on a site that treats Nintendo like the anti-christ.

Here's a thought, cry a river, build a bridge, and GET OVER IT!

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Dr.Awkward said:
WeepingAngels said:
Dr.Awkward said:
That ad is probably designed to get the attention of the parents of the toddlers, so that when they decide to buy such a device, the 2DS proves itself as something that can be fun both for the parent and the kid. It won't be the toddler who buys the 2DS, after all...
Just like they show adults playing with Fisher Price toys in an effort to get parents to buy them for their toddlers?

LordLundar said:
Oh look a bunch of people bitching and whining about a system that they're not forced to get and isn't even designed or market towards them! What a shocking development on a site that treats Nintendo like the anti-christ.

Here's a thought, cry a river, build a bridge, and GET OVER IT!
I know right? People talking about a new Nintendo handheld on The Escapist. What's the world coming to?

Since people (probably you too) think that this is meant for kids younger than 7, are you really suggesting that only children under 7 should be able to discuss it on the internet?

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
This is why you're no longer taken seriously Nintendo. We don't need a new version of the same thing every 4 months...

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
WeepingAngels said:
Since people (probably you too) think that this is meant for kids younger than 7, are you really suggesting that only children under 7 should be able to discuss it on the internet?
I don't see "discussion". I see "wah wah wah! Nintendo isn't catering to me! I hate them and wish they would die!" Same as any other thread involving the company.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
LordLundar said:
WeepingAngels said:
I don't see "discussion". I see "wah wah wah! Nintendo isn't catering to me! I hate them and wish they would die!" Same as any other thread involving the company.
Really? How many people have said they wanted Nintendo to die?

People seem to think the 2DS is ugly, not portable enough and unnecessary but I missed the posts about wishing death on Nintendo.

Indyca

May 16, 2013
Such a small niche...seems simpler to just own a 3ds, which is the portable handheld, and keep the 3d turned off...rather than own a handheld portable system that isn't very portable.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
WeepingAngels said:
We are talking about the 3DS (should we now call it the 2/3DS) here, not the Vita.
Believe me... I made no mistake. My Vita isn't collecting dust, because I'd have to at least own one in order for it to sit unused.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Draconalis said:
WeepingAngels said:
We are talking about the 3DS (should we now call it the 2/3DS) here, not the Vita.
Believe me... I made no mistake. My Vita isn't collecting dust, because I'd have to at least own one in order for it to sit unused.
Your Vita is collecting dust on some store shelf...LOL

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
WeepingAngels said:
Your Vita is collecting dust on some store shelf...LOL
That's not true either...

There's a nice little sheet of plastic to keep that from happening and a box to protect it. :p

Bellvedere

Jul 31, 2008
The idea of a 3DS without 3D at a lower cost is a great idea. I imagine using it would feel similar to a regular 3DS, most handhelds are too big for average pockets now days anyway (though in fairness most boy pants don't suffer the same pocket functionality issues as most girl pants), and I'm sure that there will be some form of cover accessory to prevent scratching. It just looks absolutely awful.

WiiU price cut is a good move now that Sony and MS are on the verge of joining Nintendo in the next generation. There's a steady schedule of high profile games to be released over the next year as well as a number of worthwhile games that have already hit the shelves. I think that they have a really good opportunity to make a comeback with the WiiU.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Trading 3D out for a handheld that no longer closes to protect the screen. *Looks at money in wallet* No, you're staying right where you are.