TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
LegendaryGamer0 said:
altnameJag said:
Jesus Christ, it's like you guys don't know that Mario Kart 8 had paid DLC. Dial back the hyperbole bit. I know we're gamers, but try waiting on the panic for once.

Totes worth it for MK8, btw.
In this case, the worry is that it's for a Zelda game, which is a totally single player experience and a long held belief that Nintendo actually ships totally finished games on disc. Kind of spits on the narrative a bit.
And? Is there anything in that announcement or Nintendo's past practices that leads you to believe that they're actively cutting out anything from the game to make their extra content months down the line? I mean, shit: so they announced a mini expansion pack that's coming out in a few months and a story expansion that coming out around the holidays. The "day one DLC" bit is what, three treasure chests likely full of crafting mats and a cosmetic shirt?

I'll wait until I've been burned by Ninty's DLC before I start complaining about it before details hit. Like, their Fire Emblem Fates debacle was shit, but that's pretty clearly not what's happening here.

(And if Mario Kart 8 DLC is any indication, you'll be able to pay the cheaper bundle price even after both DLC are out)

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Having to buy a season pass/ DLC pack for hard mode, really? The season pass only has 1 bit of story DLC (i.e. the only kind of DLC most people will actually want) in it as well. Nintendo's going feet first into the scummy DLC market other AAA publishers have used for a while, can't wait to see people try and defend this one just because it's Nintendo.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
altnameJag said:
And? Is there anything in that announcement or Nintendo's past practices that leads you to believe that they're actively cutting out anything from the game to make their extra content months down the line?
Well, considering they're already selling "useful items] and a shirt, I think that's already a major cause for concern.
I mean, shit: so they announced a mini expansion pack that's coming out in a few months and a story expansion that coming out around the holidays. The "day one DLC" bit is what, three treasure chests likely full of crafting mats and a cosmetic shirt?
It's a start of darkness that probably began around Fire Emblem Awakening. For Breath of the Wild, it now can't be said that you have the complete experience when you buy the game, which has been a major point to Nintendo games for quite a long time.

Fuck, I'm getting flashbacks to Alice: Madness Returns and the dress/weapon packs.
I'll wait until I've been burned by Ninty's DLC before I start complaining about it before details hit.
Just playing it safe ahead of time.
(And if Mario Kart 8 DLC is any indication, you'll be able to pay the cheaper bundle price even after both DLC are out)
I'd prefer to have the whole story at once, or at least not have to pay more for the full picture.

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
altnameJag said:
And? Is there anything in that announcement or Nintendo's past practices that leads you to believe that they're actively cutting out anything from the game to make their extra content months down the line? I mean, shit: so they announced a mini expansion pack that's coming out in a few months and a story expansion that coming out around the holidays. The "day one DLC" bit is what, three treasure chests likely full of crafting mats and a cosmetic shirt?

I'll wait until I've been burned by Ninty's DLC before I start complaining about it before details hit. Like, their Fire Emblem Fates debacle was shit, but that's pretty clearly not what's happening here.

Every company starts somewhere with the down slide. The thing is, once they start on the slide, it only gets worse. Add this with their hilariously awful paid online service and their slow trickle of DLC and Season Passes, and the future looks pretty bad. REALLY bad. Seriously, Nintendo was the last company I ever expected Day 1 DLC from. Day 1 DLC is and always WILL be the worst practice besides the Pre-Order BS. Day 1 DLC just means they cut things apart that can easily part of the main game at release.

Being complicit in the crappy business practices because it isn't "that bad" is part of the problem. Being vocal both in speech AND with your money is the only way to prevent things from getting worse. People need to stop being okay with being bent over backwards by game companies.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
LegendaryGamer0 said:
altnameJag said:
And? Is there anything in that announcement or Nintendo's past practices that leads you to believe that they're actively cutting out anything from the game to make their extra content months down the line?
Well, considering they're already selling "useful items] and a shirt, I think that's already a major cause for concern.
Yes, three chests full of junk and a cosmetic item, like I mentioned.
I mean, shit: so they announced a mini expansion pack that's coming out in a few months and a story expansion that coming out around the holidays. The "day one DLC" bit is what, three treasure chests likely full of crafting mats and a cosmetic shirt?
It's a start of darkness that probably began around Fire Emblem Awakening. For Breath of the Wild, it now can't be said that you have the complete experience when you buy the game, which has been a major point to Nintendo games for quite a long time.
Did we stop having the complete experience from Mario Kart 8 after they released 6 characters, 8 vehicles, and 8 tracks after launch? Christ, it's not like they're Ubisoft.

I'd prefer to have the whole story at once, or at least not have to pay more for the full picture.
...when did people stop remembering expansion packs? Seriously, these have been around for literal decades. Was Starcraft diminished because it didn't launch with Brood War?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Orga777 said:
altnameJag said:

Every company starts somewhere with the down slide. The thing is, once they start on the slide, it only gets worse. Add this with their hilariously awful paid online service and their slow trickle of DLC and Season Passes, and the future looks pretty bad. REALLY bad. Seriously, Nintendo was the last company I ever expected Day 1 DLC from. Day 1 DLC is and always WILL be the worst practice besides the Pre-Order BS. Day 1 DLC just means they cut things apart that can easily part of the main game at release.

Instead of being complicit in the crappy business practices because it isn't "that bad" is part of the problem. Being vocal both in speech AND with your money is the only way to prevent things from getting worse. People need to stop being okay with being bent over backwards by game companies.
Their "Day One DLC" is three chests full of junk and a shirt. I think we're overblowing this a bit.

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
What, no "congratulations for making it this far without this crap, Nintendo"?

Nintendo is only doing this out of desperation. They see the stupid sheep on the other consoles paying millions for addons and they have to get in on it or fade away quietly.

Nintendo is treading water big time now. Nobody wants good games anymore, and Nintendo can't figure out why, so they are just copying tried and true methods, like duping idiots into buying stuff that should already be in the game.

But don't you DARE judge them for it, because the other big publishers have done it with great success at the expense of the consumer, Nintendo would be stupid to not follow suit.

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
altnameJag said:
Yes, three chests full of junk and a cosmetic item, like I mentioned.
Well, that just means that $20 Pass already lacks value since the first of the three involved with it is completely useless.

The second is some Trial Dungeon and a difficulty mode... Difficulty Modes as DLC is the absolute worst thing ever and is every single time it shows up. I can't even count that, so that is some extra money being wasted here. Then you have a new map feature... Goody? Doesn't sound very exciting. I doubt the Trial thing is going to be worth it since it will not really add a whole lot of actual content. However, that is just me and some people may actually like it, so it has some value.

The third DLC actually sounds interesting and adds actual content to the game and is worth actual money completely.

So for $20 they are trying to market three DLC packs when really there is only one and some trial dungeon and a bunch of nonsense. Not really exciting in the end and not worth $20.

Did we stop having the complete experience from Mario Kart 8 after they released 6 characters, 8 vehicles, and 8 tracks after launch? Christ, it's not like they're Ubisoft.
Everyone starts somewhere and Nintendo, being one of the most paranoid game companies and one of the strictest ever with content ID can EASILY go down the Ubisoft route full steam ahead, and maybe even surpass Ubisoft in that department. Better to nip this in the bud before it has the chance to get worse.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
InsanityRequiem said:
It specifically says New Hard Mode. Meaning that it?s more than the hard mode already in the game. Does no one know how to read? New, meaning that it?s different than what?s already in the game.
How does that make it any better? You're still buying a game mode that just makes the game harder. If its like Master Quest or DS2:Scholars, its still pretty rare for publishers to charge for a difficulty mode.

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
LegendaryGamer0 said:
altnameJag said:

Fuck, I'm getting flashbacks to Alice: Madness Returns and the dress/weapon packs.
I'll wait until I've been burned by Ninty's DLC before I start complaining about it before details hit.
Just playing it safe ahead of time.
How is one DLC coming out 3 months after release, and the other 6+ months after release, cut content? Jarvik, from ME3, was cut content. If anything, this is most definitely not cut content because of 1, the time frame of release and 2, the date of the game going gold (couple weeks ago). If this DLC was announced over a month ago, with a release date of within 1 month of the game coming out, your cut content argument would be better.

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
Fischgopf said:
I don't know what the Cave of Trials is
If memory serves, there was an optional cave in Twilight Princess in which you had to beat increasingly tough bunches of monsters on each floor to progress. And at the end, you probably got some kind of reward (I don't think I made it all the way). This is likely much the same kind of thing.

What I'm curious about is what exactly is a "new map feature".

InsanityRequiem said:
It specifically says New Hard Mode. Meaning that it?s more than the hard mode already in the game. Does no one know how to read? New, meaning that it?s different than what?s already in the game. Meaning that the game already has a hard mode.
I don't necessarily think it's safe to assume anything that's not explicitly stated, such as a "Hard Mode" already present in the base game. "This is Hard Mode. It's new!" See how that works?

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
What is included with the hard mode? Are enemies harder hitting, or are they actually changing enemy layouts, dungeon layouts, resource allocation, how is the balance, is it hard but fair, or is it not even that hard at all? Details needed to determine whether this is worth the extra monies. With the idea of Nintendo finally joining the club for season passes, I'm not a fan of the season pass in general, it's paying for something in advance with no gaurentee of quality, and it's digital so buying ahead of time is pointless anyway because there's not need to worry about the store front running out of product, but I've nothing against paid DLC. Expansion packs were the paid DLC of the old days, and I doubt anyone would say Frozen Throne, Brood Wars, or Half-Life Opposing Forces were bad. Well done extra content is nice, and anyone saying that it means the game is not complete, it's no more incomplete than any game that is in a series. Yes, some paid DLC is bullshit, look at the DLC Nintendo hid behind Amiibos with extra dungeons or new maps in games, or horse armor, but the idea alone isn't a bad one, and I'd rather wait to see what the content is to determine whether it this will be bad or not. If you don't want to pay that price for the extra content, just wait until they release the bundle with all the content together.

Lagslayer

Apr 18, 2011
AzrealMaximillion said:
InsanityRequiem said:
New[/b] Hard Mode. Meaning that it?s more than the hard mode already in the game. Does no one know how to read? New, meaning that it?s different than what?s already in the game.
How does that make it any better? You're still buying a game mode that just makes the game harder. If its like Master Quest or DS2:Scholars, its still pretty rare for publishers to charge for a difficulty mode.
Maybe it's more like hard mode for the first zelda game.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Feels weird calling them dlc packs 1 and 2 when you can't buy them separately. All I'm interested in is the extra story content.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Well, fuck. It's looking more and more like Nintendo has completely succumbed to the most cancerous parts of the AAA industry.

I'm probably not going to be buying this DLC, unless the base game itself turns out to be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

The sad thing, though, people have been complaining for years why Nintendo isn't keeping up with the times and isn't more like other companies like Sony, Microsoft, and others. And now that it's happening, surprise surprise, people aren't liking it.

Be careful what you wish for, folks.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
ionveau said:
If you did not get the memo back when the horse armor came out.
Time to find a better hobby, its only going to go down hill from here.
Or...or, and bare with me here, but....we could also try just not playing[footnote]More specifically, not BUYING. Monetizing free games is a wholly different topic.[/footnote] shitty games with shitty DLC/monetization practices? There are plenty of 'em out there.

Just a thought.

AzrealMaximillion said:
InsanityRequiem said:
It specifically says New Hard Mode. Meaning that it?s more than the hard mode already in the game. Does no one know how to read? New, meaning that it?s different than what?s already in the game.
And Nintendo proves, once again, that they simply can not adapt to the modern gaming environment, nor catch up to the rest of the fucking industry, without embracing some of the very worst aspects of either.

Worgen said:
And the last pure game publisher falls down the pit along with the rest.
Egh, I dunno. Devolver, Adult Swim Games, tinyBuild, and a few others are still pretty great. As far as I'm aware they haven't done anything especially egregious.

I could be wrong, though. From personal experience I've never seen anything exceptionally scummy from them. In fact, I struggle to think of anything they've done that wasn't just publishing fantastic games.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I came to see Nintendo fans do their typical mental gymnastics and was not disappointed. The DLC looks like bad enough value already and you can't even buy them separately? Too bad all you want is the story DLC guys. Fork over for the useless cosmetics and "new hard mode" too.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Hadr mode locked behind a fucking DLC?
Really Nintendo? REALLY? You were my last hope of good DLC from big companies.
Well fuck you too!

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Nintendo: Embracing all the aspects of the Triple A industry, while relying on outdated tech to power the console.