Nintendo Can Disable a Pirate's 3DS Remotely

FungiGamer

Apr 23, 2008
So does it target specific wi-fi signals or the specific 3DS itself? If I can't play my 3DS on college campus for fear of someone else using the same connection and pirating then I will be an angry ANGRY Panda.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Raioken18 said:
Are you kidding regional lock out?
As someone who has gone to the painful effort of importing games rather than pirating them in the past, this is a massive kick in the face.

I really don't care about the piracy detection thing, but if there is regional lock outs, I definitely won't be wasting my money getting a console where I won't be able to play games that aren't sold in my region. I live in Australia, so importing games gets me them months to years ahead of our release dates over here, and that's if they get released here at all, we often miss out on great games just because they aren't main stream.

If nintendo does this I swear I will just wait till an emulator gets released, it could take a decade, I'm patient..

It's been painful enough trying to get my hands on Rune Factory 3 released over a year ago in japan and 4 months ago in the US. Oh wait it's not being released here and under that system I would be unable to play a game I love unless I buy a second console.

I wanna punch a nintendo rep...
It's region locked? Goddamnit...

(Fellow Aussie)

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
WAIT!
Regional lock out is what the author suggested as an "easier" solution to potential regional errors. It's my bad for flying off the handle. Anyway regional lock outs are NOT a good solution for a lot of us!

Demoliboy2

Dec 21, 2009
For all i care, i won't be usingwifi, since it CAN be turned off, and I won't definatly be playing games. Like someone else said, the mob mentality here is outstanding. Yes, there can be mistakes as in Nintendo bricking someone who didn't deserve it, but if it ultimatly help to reduce Piracy, i don't mind at all.

Hell, my guess is htye will be very, VERY conservative using this to prevent evetual lawsuits, so no big harm would be done, it's not like the end of the world or anything.

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
When I buy a console I make a note to myself to only buy official products for it. That's because I only buy games that I know are good and will have fun with. Besides, pirating consoles is a huge pain in the ass, though in Greece everyone and their dog had a pirated PS2 and they looked at me funny when I told them that all the 34 games I own are official.

But, after reading this, I am hesitant to buy a 3DS, because I am afraid I will do something to anger it, something irrelevant to piracy, mind you, but who guarantees that the device won't just snap and do whatever it likes?

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
well i aint buying one now, not because of pirating as i have (arguably) never pirated anything in my life. but i am not taking the chance that some cock-up at Nintendo could cause my device to shut itself down turning it into an expensive paperweight.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
JediMB said:
*reads the source articles*

Destructoid's Dale North is merely speculating on the possibilities of the 3DS' playtime logging feature.

GoNintendo's RawmeatCowboy shows us that retailers are worried that unsupported modifications might lead to firmware updates "bricking" the machines, as the updates might be incompatible with the modifications. This has always been an issue with the Wii as well, and is in no way a sign of Nintendo having plans to disable 3DS units remotely!
I'm glad someone actually read the source. That being said, even if it was true... I honestly wouldn't give a shit. I'm not planning on pirating any game for the 3DS so I'm doubting it will really effect me and I'm not really all that bothered with the whole morality behind it. I just buy consoles to play games not to start throwing an hissy fit when ever the company does something I don't like.

Specially not to the point that I'll start screaming "Screw you, you've lost another customer" as if it solves anything.

AceMcBadass

Jan 1, 2010
this makes me wonder... i just bought a flashcart for my dsi to back up all my legally purchased games, so i can have one cartridge for all of them, cause i tend to lose things. I also use it to run some other programs and apps, all of which are 100% legal. Now how will Nintendo deal with that? I'm almost tempted to go get a 3ds, run my flashcart full of perfectly legal content, and sue the pants of nintendo for briking my system. im seeing lost of bad for nintendo if they go thru with this, similar to what sony is facing now with all the hackers pulling apart the PS3 on line of code after another.

AceMcBadass

Jan 1, 2010
Sovvolf said:
JediMB said:

Destructoid's Dale North is merely speculating on the possibilities of the 3DS' playtime logging feature.

GoNintendo's RawmeatCowboy shows us that retailers are worried that unsupported modifications might lead to firmware updates "bricking" the machines, as the updates might be incompatible with the modifications. This has always been an issue with the Wii as well, and is in no way a sign of Nintendo having plans to disable 3DS units remotely!
I'm glad someone actually read the source. That being said, even if it was true... I honestly wouldn't give a shit. I'm not planning on pirating any game for the 3DS so I'm doubting it will really effect me and I'm not really all that bothered with the whole morality behind it. I just buy consoles to play games not to start throwing an hissy fit when ever the company does something I don't like.

Specially not to the point that I'll start screaming "Screw you, you've lost another customer" as if it solves anything.

*reads rest of the thread and sees this*

well that changes things a bit. things so boring at the escapist these days we have to twist a story? tsk tsk.

Axelhander

Feb 3, 2011
This won't punish pirates who figure out a way around it.

This WILL punish victims of inevitable false positives, though. But I suppose they had it coming, not being pirates and all.

EDIT - Posted this before I saw the rest of the thread. That'll learn me. Disregard...

Jamie Doerschuck

Jun 6, 2010
GiantRaven said:
I guess that when I idly suggested that Nintendo were shooting themselves in the foot with the 3DS, I was more right than I ever could have imagined. Poor battery life, wi-fi that you can't turn off (or at least, I assume that's what 'always on' means), and ultra-crazy DRM. Why on earth would anyone want to buy a 3DS?
Because people don't know any better? Quite honestly, "we" are not the people who are going to be buying the 3DS. Most people who buy them will be the parents of small children. That's just who Nintendo targets now (small children, not their parents).

And we can all just look at Fox News to see that a majority of parents/adults are incapable of doing their research..

bluepilot

Jul 10, 2009
No thank you

I think that when you buy something it is yours and yours alone. If nintendo has the power to shut it off like that then it is not really yours at all.

I have never pirated a game in my life, but I would be afraid of facing the hell of getting my console to work again if a mistake was made.

Ever tried phoning nintendo?

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Hay Nintendo guess what I didnt plan to get your 3DS til 2nd or 3rd version but if they have this bullshit and region locks I will not get your handheld.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Asuka Soryu said:
vrbtny said:
All the overbearing, completely OTT control freak/anti-piracy thing aside..... can I say?

Pirates are gonna get Owned.
Careful, they might take that as a challenge and then one day will hear some hackers bragging they finally broke it as Nintendo goes nuts.
Based on their past consoles I predict it will be hacked in days

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Oh come on, nobody believes this crap right? There's a fatal flaw in the logic behind this stupid rumor. They claim that Nintendo let flashcards run on purpose so they could track them. Except there is this small, teeny tiny fact that Nintendo doesn't let flash cards run on the 3DS. Those videos you saw of the R4 running on it to play regular DS games? Yeah, 3DS doesn't do that out of the box. They had to trick the system into thinking the cards were on the system's whitelist of things it can play. That means Nintendo didn't let the cards run on purpose to track when people use one. Hence, stupid rumor falls flat on its face, and to the people who created it, I can only say DURPY DEEEEEEEEEERP!

For an added bonus, check the sources. They don't actually have any proof. It's all just speculation. One author thinks this could happen. Another has a poster from a store that says they don't want trade ins if you used a flash card because they think Nintendo could brick them. There's a whole lot of thinking going on and no actual proof that Nintendo even has this capability, let alone would use it if it had it. The people in those articles are thinking, and now it's time for the rest of you guys to start thinking as well and realize that this both makes no sense and there is no proof that this is true anyway.

Sovvolf said:
JediMB said:

Oh, awesome. Other people realize that this is bollocks. I'm not alone! :)

Yawwy

Sep 6, 2009
Ironically,I just got an email telling me what flash cards work on the 3DS.I feel like Nintendo is trying to goad me into buying them.

shadowform

Jan 5, 2009
You know this does actually bring up the possibility for some interesting lawsuits. Just recently a judge decided that just because something is in your EULA doesn't necessarily make it an absolute law in a case with Blizzard, and this looks like it might fall somewhere into that jurisdiction. It essentially amounts to the company that sold you your device deliberately infecting you with a virus. Justified or not, it would be interesting to see how that holds up in the court of law.

Imper1um

May 21, 2008
The failure in this, is that the people that actually want to play the Pirated games will just root the device.

It's another thing of this: Every stupid DRM released by developers has an equal Anti-DRM on the internet.