Nintendo Can Disable a Pirate's 3DS Remotely

DancePuppets

Nov 9, 2009
Well I definitely won't be getting one then. I don't play pirated games at all and think that pirating games is immoral; however, I'm not convinced that any firm should be able to monitor your usage of YOUR device to quite these levels.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Nintendo has to fight one or more lawsuit over this decision sometime in the future.
A well crafted EULA fixes this entirely. It's a contract that is signed, technically, on purchase. If you don't abide by the contract, then thats your fault.

That being said, I don't really agree with how they are doing this, especially because companies mess up all the time with their "tracking" systems. I won't be surprised if Nintendo runs into a few times where they have banned someone who didn't deserve it. Then you get into the sticky situations.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
GiantRaven said:
I guess that when I idly suggested that Nintendo were shooting themselves in the foot with the 3DS, I was more right than I ever could have imagined. Poor battery life, wi-fi that you can't turn off (or at least, I assume that's what 'always on' means), and ultra-crazy DRM. Why on earth would anyone want to buy a 3DS?
Gotta remember that these things will be being played on planes and such, being handheld consoles and all. There absolutely has to be a way to turn the wifi off. I mean, hell, the new Pokémon games even have an "always on" wifi system and they say, explicitly (and annoyingly) to turn it off if you're playing on a plane. Nintendo is smarter than forgetting about airplanes and wifi.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
I gotta say I don't like this. I have no intentions of hacking a 3DS but this goes too far. The first time they get a false positive the shit is gunna hit the fan.

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
Pfft, with all those bricked 3DS' to tinker with, im sure all those pirates will have more than enough of them to play with and figure out how to get back into them, and then all Brick'n a 3DS does is allow the person, with a short google search, to get any game they want

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
JediMB said:
*reads the source articles*

Destructoid's Dale North is merely speculating on the possibilities of the 3DS' playtime logging feature.

GoNintendo's RawmeatCowboy shows us that retailers are worried that unsupported modifications might lead to firmware updates "bricking" the machines, as the updates might be incompatible with the modifications. This has always been an issue with the Wii as well, and is in no way a sign of Nintendo having plans to disable 3DS units remotely!
Darn. I was interested in seeing how this played out...

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
meh, this'll get cracked and it won't be an issue before long. Though I do have to give it to Nintendo for doing something that I would have done (or trying to rather).

The only way anyone is gonna nail piracy is if its heavy handed punishment, not some light slap on the wrist.

Jun 16, 2010
Yet another company lumping homebrew together with piracy.

Homebrew is perfectly legal and moral, yet these companies quash it just because they can. It's like if you bought some macaroni for your young child, so he could then paint it and glue it together to make a sculpture, and then some Macaroni salesman busts into your house and stomps on the sculpture, shouting "NO, YOU LITTLE ******! MACARONI IS FOR EATING, NOT ARTS AND CRAFTS!!"

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Gxas said:
Gotta remember that these things will be being played on planes and such, being handheld consoles and all. There absolutely has to be a way to turn the wifi off. I mean, hell, the new Pokémon games even have an "always on" wifi system and they say, explicitly (and annoyingly) to turn it off if you're playing on a plane. Nintendo is smarter than forgetting about airplanes and wifi.
Clearly, the term "always on" is overly misleading. =P

Jaythulhu

Jun 19, 2008
Found this hacked C&H strip a while ago. I think it pretty much says everything there is to say about DRM.

James Raynor

Sep 3, 2008
So nintendo is flaunting a new impossible to break DRM thing, what a surprise. Hasn't every one so far just been stomped flat within a few months to begin with?

Ashsaver

Your friendly Yandere
Jun 10, 2010
They should just use the same kind of DRM as LovePlus:If you pirate the game,you'd never get the girl to fall in love with you!

In short:You can't finish/beaten/complete the pirated games.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
Good for them since everyone has been pirating DS games since it came out.

Even my mom for crying out loud!

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Angus565 said:
It's only a matter of time...

I'm afraid I can't let you pirate that game...
I lol'd.
Give it a matter of time, I'm sure some hacker somewhere will find a way around this; they always do.
Either way, I'm not effected in any way, since I think pirating Nintendo games is just stupid (unless they're old emulators)

DemonicVixen

Oct 24, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Absolutely silly. I agree with the below quote.
Triggerhappy938 said:
Wow. On one hand, I had no plans of pirating 3DS games, but now I'm really considering just not getting one. This is just a bit too Orwellian for my tastes.
I do not like being spied on and seemingly thats what the 3DS is doing by tracking everything you do. I might not be wanting to pirate a game on the DS (even if I did, I dont know how), but what if someone uses a pirated game on it without me even realising its a pirate. After all, we all have friends who offer to show us their games and let us try them out. If a friend puts in a pirated game, whoever owns the console will be buggered and I bet the person who had the pirated game wont pay for it.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Didn't Apple have a <url=http://www.cracked.com/article_18377_5-reasons-you-should-be-scared-apple.html>similar system for jailbroken iPhones? Wow, they're not just competing with Apple into the casual market (considering Nintendo doesn't consider the PS3 or XBox 360 to be competition any more), they're competing with them in the douchbaggery security as well...

Come to think of it, compared to how MS deals with piracy, Nintendo, Sony and Apple appear positively fascist...
I'm pretty sure if Microsoft could pull off the "always on" thing they would.
I was actually thinking of how MS deals with pirated Windows. If auto-update isn't turned off, they can detect pirated copies. But instead of deactivating them, they just show a message like 'This copy of Windows is not genuine' or something. Hell, for Windows 7, MS actually updates the OS, in return of receiving error reports so that their support team is always up to date on issues with the OS.

It's baffling, but guess what? Bill is still swimming in money.

Scabadus

Wrote Some Words
Jul 16, 2009
You know, I'm actually OK with the 3DS sending data to Nintendo. What is it really going to send to them, whether I prefer Pokemon or Zelda? Oh no, my privacy! I'm even ok with it sending data to Nintendo if I were to pirate a game, that's them protecting their investment by aquiring this data so they can send it to relevent law enforcement agencies. The 'always on' wireless draining the battery is a valid argument, but the point here is what's being sent over that wireless and not the wireles itself.

But Nintendo shutting down the 3DS by itself, without any approval by relevent govornment agencies, the courts or third party reviews? No way, not touching that. Fuck you Nintendo, I'm taking my money somewhere else.