Nintendo Doesn't Care About "Winning Online"

Sudenak

Mar 31, 2011
Good. Keeps users in a less-hackable position.

It's also worth noting that their big games aren't about multiplayer, much less needing E-peen scoreboards and voice chat to make their few multiplayer games oh-so-fun online.

I said this in another WiiU related topic, and I'll say it again: Nintendo knows what it's doing, all the doomsayers don't. When Nintendo actually bombs hardcore on a system, let me know.

...Yeah. Y'know. Just let them do their thing. They know that they're doing.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
I don't much care for online games but I think Nintendo could atleast try. While it won't affect my purchase I'm sure it'll affect many others.

Shameless

Jun 28, 2010
I've long since stopped caring about Nintendo, they used to be great in the past, but now they seems like and unable to truly compete with the other big two.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
While it's sure to be a financial success, I've never seen a company be so damn apologetic about a product that has yet to come out. Nintendo needs to step up its game or the Wii may have been it's definitive shark jumping moment.

Zukhramm

Jul 9, 2008
I'm not going to say anything yet, I want to see more of it. Some of what they said in this areas sounds quite good. A better store is the most important thing for me in terms of online.

Sudenak

Mar 31, 2011
666Chaos said:
Sudenak said:
When Nintendo actually bombs hardcore on a system, let me know.
Is this where I mention the 3ds?
"NPD Group, which tracks U.S. video game sales, said while the Nintendo 3DS sold about 100,000 fewer units that the Nintendo DS did when it debuted in November 2004, the 3DS did not have the benefit of a holiday sales boost and costs $100 more than the DS."

It's a bomb in the sense that it was released at a bad time, and without a strong set of release titles. Give it a year, we'll see. (plus, Ocarina of Time 3D is number one in sales across all platforms in Japan and the US)

Stavros Dimou

Mar 15, 2011
Not again..
As times passes,I get more and more disappointed by Nintendo's new console.
First they said it won't take more than 1 controller,then they said it won't be too much more powerful than other consoles,then that it won't play media like dvds,now they say it won't go for competitive online features.
What's next ?

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
cursedseishi said:
Being "Better than the Wii" is setting the bar pretty damn low don't you think Nintendo? No one is asking you to "win" at it, we're asking for you to simply not suck balls and not continue your trend of running one generation behind everything else.

You may not care about "winning online", whatever that means, just like I may not care about a system whose entirety rests completely on one massive, ugly gimmick.
Well, he did say it would be better, he just said it wouldn't be as good as what is considered the best. We have all laughed at Sony for bragging about that PSN would beat Xbox Live when the PS3 was due for release, why should we rage on Nintendo for simply being realistic?

There are no surprises here. At least I will give it to Nintendo that they manage to give the appearance of being humble or realistic rather than boasting. As a consume that's what I think, but that's a poor model on running a company. They're supposed to boast their products. Even less would buy Homefronts if they announced it was going to be bad and generic.

Sudenak

Mar 31, 2011
666Chaos said:
Sudenak said:
"NPD Group, which tracks U.S. video game sales, said while the Nintendo 3DS sold about 100,000 fewer units that the Nintendo DS did when it debuted in November 2004, the 3DS did not have the benefit of a holiday sales boost and costs $100 more than the DS."

It's a bomb in the sense that it was released at a bad time, and without a strong set of release titles. Give it a year, we'll see. (plus, Ocarina of Time 3D is number one in sales across all platforms in Japan and the US)
The 3ds is just not doing all that well right now. I would also like to see some kind of proof of ocarina as number one because all the sites I looked on disagreed with you. Though it wouldnt be all that surprising if it was since it did just come out this week and most new releases take the number one spot the first week.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata, when speaking to investors at E3, explained that, "It's fair to say that while Nintendo 3DS had a strong launch day, the results since then have not met our expectations. By which I mean to say that although pre-orders for this system were very strong and initial impressions of this system were very positive, those early indicators stand in conflict with where the system is at today. So, I can't say there are no issues at present."
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/35434/Saling_The_World_Ocarina_of_Time_3D_Tops_Worldwide_Charts.php

I...I use gamasutra way too much ._. It just looks more pleasant than the other "zomg popups flash explosions D8" gamer sites. -cough- Anywho.

"This week's charts, with data taken from June 23rd, 2011, find The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D leading cross-platform sales in the U.S. and Japan, as Zumba Fitness keeps its lead in the UK."

So yeah. I'm cautiously optimistic. It'll all depend on whether or not the 3DS can pull it off in the long run.

They got their data from just Amazon, though. Lemme look up vgchartz.

....Huh. That's sort of comical. According to vgchartz, the EMEAA region has Ocarina of Time 3D leading sales. I was baffled at first, but I looked into it: vgchartz has yet to update their data for Japan, the US, or Worldwide with last week's data.

So, I guess maybe it's too early to call it?

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
Some people here are ignorant. It's like half of us forgot what was it like before online play. Way back in the 1900s.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
It doesn't matter. There's enough fanboys and grandmothers/unknowing parents to buy this console no matter what it has or doesn't have. They're just not going to have any of the FPS people...or anyone else who lives on online gaming.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
It doesn't matter. There's enough fanboys and grandmothers/unknowing parents to buy this console no matter what it has or doesn't have. They're just not going to have any of the FPS people...or anyone else who lives on online gaming.

Luthir Fontaine

Oct 16, 2010
"Miyamoto also said that "local, same-room multiplayer" might be expanded to work via an internet connection, meaning that split-screen play could be included when playing online"

i get to play split-screen online? why the hell would i want that :p

crono738

Sep 4, 2008
Sudenak said:
666Chaos said:
Sudenak said:
When Nintendo actually bombs hardcore on a system, let me know.
Is this where I mention the 3ds?

Virtual Boy. That is all.

Sucal

Dragonborn Ponyeater
Dec 23, 2009
You know whats funny. I see a lot of people here complaining about Nintendo not caring about multi-player. Everyone seems to forget the other side of the game though. Nintendo seems to be the only company these days that gives a crap about Couch Co-Op. I mean, how many games do you have on 360 or Ps3 that don't have halo in the name but still let you play with friends sitting next to you.

That's what true social gaming is, gaming with people who can not only see you next to them, but punch you for being a pain in the ass. That's the problem with kiddy FPS gamers today. They never learned proper gaming manners, that can only be taught when the people you abuse and whose mothers you threaten to f*** can simply reach over and strangle you with the controller cord.

That's another thing I miss. Screw wireless controls, let me have my throat strangling controls back.