Nintendo Explains Why Digital Games Aren't Any Cheaper

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Putting aside their BS reason (whatever they said would have been bullshit) I am glad they are the same price. That ensures Physical copies will always do great, and that's the world I want to live in. Once it gets to the point that digital is doing so well physical is being phased out, I'm out as well. That's not a gaming environment I want any part of.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
There's no excuse to price a digital version equally as their retail counterparts, or worse, there's no excuse to price a freaking SNES game to $10 and don't tell me your "but servers are expensive" bullshit. I'm sorry, but no, you're full of shit Ninty.

BTW, who the fuck is giving you that "info" that digital versions are going to devaluate retail versions!?, you haven't tried it yet and there's no single trace of info telling otherwise!.

And while we're at it, could you please stop charging $77 for Mario Galaxy 2 and every other "high profile" Wii game here in Mexico?, that's kinda ridiculous and one of the main reasons I haven't bought a Wii U yet and I'm having my doubts for 3DS games prices too :/

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
SupahGamuh said:
There's no excuse to price a digital version equally as their retail counterparts, or worse, there's no excuse to price a freaking SNES game to $10 and don't tell me your "but servers are expensive" bullshit. I'm sorry, but no, you're full of shit Ninty.

BTW, who the fuck is giving you that "info" that digital versions are going to devaluate retail versions!?, you haven't tried it yet and there's no single trace of info telling otherwise!.

And while we're at it, could you please stop charging $77 for Mario Galaxy 2 and every other "high profile" Wii game here in Mexico?, that's kinda ridiculous and one of the main reasons I haven't bought a Wii U yet and I'm having my doubts for 3DS games prices too :/
On the SNES comment, I rather pay 10 dollars for a game that works on a current system, then 30+ for a used copy that might not work.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
SupahGamuh said:

Those prices probably have a lot more to do with your country than Nintendo itself.

Just speculating on that.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
xPixelatedx said:
Putting aside their BS reason (whatever they said would have been bullshit) I am glad they are the same price. That ensures Physical copies will always do great, and that's the world I want to live in. Once it gets to the point that digital is doing so well physical is being phased out, I'm out as well. That's not a gaming environment I want any part of.
Why does your post smell of the "Don't care got mine" attitude? When companies like Atlus does incentives to buy physical I don't honestly see a worry about that format going away. Besides outside of reselling the means to play the game (because even if you own a physical copy of a game you don't own the rights to it) I don't see a benefit over physical anymore unless your a collector.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
"[Digital games aren't cheaper] because we want consumers to value software as highly as possible and because we have been trying to heighten the value of our software whenever we produce it," Iwata said during an investor Q&A, adding "We decided that, since the contents are the same, the company would offer the software at the same price, be it the packaged version or the digital version."
Was that a mistranslation or something? I mean, technically if you sell a product at the same price but don't lose out on expenses that come with physical retail, then yes, you've heightened the value of your software since that version is worth more to you.

I don't think that's how he wanted to come across....

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
"Digital games aren't cheaper because we want gamers to value software as highly as possible."
That sounds remarkably similar to Sony when they tried to justify the PS3's rather expensive release price point:

Sony's PS3 strategy is "for consumers to think to themselves 'I will work more hours to buy one'. We want people to feel that they want it, irrespective of anything else."
http://www.1up.com/news/ps3-job
http://www.joystiq.com/2005/07/06/sony-wants-you-to-earn-that-playstation-3/

And we know how well that worked out for them.

What nonsense. Arrogant nonsense too.
It was a bloody stupid thing to say back then, and it's moronic now. I mean really. At least be honest, or don't say anything at all if honesty is going to cause a PR scandal.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Nonsense. Disk + packaging costs money and is factored in the retail price. Digital games need neither, but they cost the same because... apparently they want us "to value software as highly as possible"? Fuck you Nintendo and fuck your corporate parlance.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
Alright Nintendo, have it your way, just don't ever count on getting a digital sale out of me. Digital games should cost less, digital games have no manufacturing costs, don't have to be distributed by third party retailers, physical games often come with bonuses/extras that you DON'T get with digital copies, physical games can also be traded in or sold, digital can't... do I need to go on?

If you want digital games to stay on par with physical copies, then depreciate the games prices accordingly! When a games physical price has a permanent drop (not counting things like sales) then adjust the digital price to match, otherwise you're just driving people to get physical copies. Also, why are Nintendo games that are over 4 years old still $80+ here?

Don't pee on my head and call it rain!

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
Isalan said:
Didn't this industry used to be about producing fun entertaining software for the delight and wonder of the general public?
When was it ever about the general public? It's always been about the bottom-dollar, and games and game consoles have been getting cheaper anyway.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Damnit Nintendo, I know that this is the attitude of every other damn corporation, but come on. I want to like you, but this has got to be the third or forth time you proved that you are just as capable of the same bullshit everyone else is.

Seriously, couldn't you have just kept your mouth shut? We didn't need to hear your half-assed excuse to cover the fact that you just want more money (that everyone knew already). Thanks for insulting my intelligence just for the hell of it.

Oh, and where I live (NZ), I pay MORE online than in the stores.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Eri said:
Digital should be cheaper by virtue of no box, no manual, and no 3rd party selling it. Period. End of fucking statement. Charging the same is absurd and I will never buy a digital copy over a boxed copy if the price stays the same. Ever.
This.

Where do these fuckwits get off on lying to their customers like this?

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
This is almost as audacious as Kit-kat downsizing their chocolate bars and telling consumers it reflects a 'healthier option'.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
If you make something interesting and it fades away, maybe it's not that interesting.

They've said some amazingly dimwitted things after the Wii was released. My favourite is still "but if we release too many good games straight away, you won't want any more", something like that.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Walmart is popular among the poor and lower class income families.
Walmart is therefore conveniently located in poorer neighborhoods, because when every dollar counts, there's nothing like near warehouse prices for foods and other sundries.
Walmart, because of this popularity they have among the poor, the lower class, the working poor, basically any demographic that might qualify for food stamps, chooses to increase the prices of a large portion of their food items on around the first of the month.

Why does Walmart do this?
They do it because at around the first of the month is when food stamp recipients get more food stamps, and they can therefore exploit this timing to optimize profits by taking advantage of people who usually do not have the ability or the will to not buy food on or near the beginning of the month.

Walmart has freely admitted to this.
Walmart is unashamed of it's ability to turn a larger profit at the expense of the poor and the disadvantaged.
Walmart sees this as just pragmatic business sensibility and practices.

What do Walmart and Nintendo have in common?
It's actually what they do not have in common, because at least Walmart is willing to admit when it's just about the dollars.

Thank you, and good day.

Lyvric

Nov 29, 2011
I also want to note on my 3ds the bought goods are saved to your device, not your account, so if the device goes - bye bye game. I don't agree on the price being the same for many reasons, but this is the elephant in the room for me. I can at least pop a physical game into a diff. system.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
Sheo_Dagana said:
I'm saying that it's the exact same model. People level all kinds of complaints at EA Origins, but because Nintendo is Nintendo, they can get away with doing what they're doing. They aren't really doing anything different at all. So why is one succeeding where the other isn't?
It's the exact same principle, what differs is the products, the execution, the demographics, the branding, etc.
Why it works so well for Nintendo? That's something you should ask an economics professor or a business analyst, really, but I think that a lot of it comes down to Nintendo games mostly competing against other games on their system. If a certain kind of game, like "wave your arm at sports 3!" is usually priced $10, and a major Mario title is usually priced $60, selling the Mario game for $10 could make a consumer equate it with $10 quality and pass it over.

EA on the other hand, competes with Steam as a service, which has already established a standard of insanely cheap game sales. Also EA's catalogue is far less unique and recognizeable, and speaks to a more hardcore and knowledgeable consumer base.

You might not agree, because (spoiler alert) people have different values. It's not rocket science - if I'm not getting a box or instructions or anything extra with the game, I shouldn't have to pay as much. If I value the game more, I'm going to want all the trimmings, so I'll pay more for a physical copy. That's it.
Personally, I'm an educated consumer and know enough about games and my tastes in them to not equate the price tag with the actual quality and/or my enjoyment of a product. But Nintendo isn't using this strategy to sell games to me, because I'm likely a part of a small minority of their customers. (actually, I haven't owned a nintendo product in 10 years, but you get my point).

Ipsen said:
chikusho said:
More like: We are charging retail price because if the games were cheaper they would be perceived as less valuable, which would hurt the product and/or our brand.
CORPORATE SHILL!

Kidding aside, I think a legitimate question is, between the consumer and the industry, who should determine value? Or reworded, whose measure of value weighs more?
I mean, on the one hand, it's always the consumer who determines value, because if the perceived value doesn't equate with the price then they won't buy it.

Left to the consumer, many factors are considered (price, features, quality, etc.). They often tell a truer story than marketing, and out of experience, have to be after the game releases. No one goes around thinking that because a game costs less, it's less enjoyable. Normal people don't go into stores intending to buy the most expensive products, and if the price could be lower for what they've intended to purchase, they'll take that.
I'm guessing their market research suggests otherwise. Besides, if a game is usually priced a certain thing and you see it somewhere for less, you'll jump at it to make a good deal. That won't happen if it's cheap to begin with. Most of Nintendos consumers aren't educated or interested enough to really know everything about every game, so the price tag may very well be a label of "higher quality game".

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
Isalan said:
So digital games are the same price as physical copies cause publishers want more money.

Yet another blinding insight from Nintendo.

Didn't this industry used to be about producing fun entertaining software for the delight and wonder of the general public?
I think their productions are way less fun than what they say to defend their practices. I find that theater act to be worth thousands dollars.

Anyway...
If I understood right so the value of product is based on what we the consumers set it to. For me every Mario games is worth negative, they must pay me to play them. But yet this is not a fact. Neither will a nintendo game's "value" increase to 100?, at least it wont as digital that is for sure.

Companies have realized that when there is development cost + publishing + logistics = $ when you take logistics and retailers out it equals $$. Sadly they have not realized the potential of lover price point by a small margin, say 10 or 20? resulting in $$$$$.
I understand that this industry now days is run by corporate, business oriented people who only care about the numbers of next quarter - well 2 honestly, summer and pre-holidays. And are completely blind to the profit margin of long term.