Nintendo Has A Tough Time Finding Suitable U.S. Developers

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
BiH-Kira said:
On the other hand, we have Activision. CoD comes out once every year. Why no hate against Activision as much as you hate Nintendo? Because it creates CoD? IMO, CoD BO is the fail game of the year. Not only that it's the same as the previous CoD, but it's not even polished for a beta, not to speak about a final version.
CoD and KotickVision doesn't get any hate here...?

You're obviously new to this place. Welcome to the Escapist! :)

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Explain why your systems have so much shovel ware and shit on them. I rarely see games distributed by you on the shelves in retailers that have any redeeming quality or get noticed.

Obviously you guys never do anything for the money though, apparently.

This is coming from somebody who loves Nintendo stuff.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
HankMan said:
vansau said:
Apparently this difficulty is due more to the fact that studios aren't interested in producing quality games, but are instead only interested in making money:
Super Mario Galaxy 2
That is all
What's your point? [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exception_that_proves_the_rule] Hell, the fact that you can only list one game just goes to show the weakness of your stance.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Raiyan 1.0 said:
BiH-Kira said:
On the other hand, we have Activision. CoD comes out once every year. Why no hate against Activision as much as you hate Nintendo? Because it creates CoD? IMO, CoD BO is the fail game of the year. Not only that it's the same as the previous CoD, but it's not even polished for a beta, not to speak about a final version.

I know there is hate for them.
But I have jet to see as much hate for anything as people hate Nintendo. People LOVE Hitler compared to Nintendo.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
HankMan said:
vansau said:
Apparently this difficulty is due more to the fact that studios aren't interested in producing quality games, but are instead only interested in making money:
Super Mario Galaxy 2
That is all
Super Mario Galaxy 2 was one of the best games I have ever played.

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
"Apparently this difficulty is due more to the fact that studios aren't interested in producing quality games, but are instead only interested in making money:"

Well with what you did on the Wii, aside from the Occasional Nintendo Title, is not exactly bosting big companys to work with you.

I guess it is probably a bit more complicated, but in the end i think Nintendo brougth this situation upon themselves.
And they do it again and again.

For.I.Am.Mad

May 8, 2010
Damn, why does everybody act like Western(US) developers are the only ones interested in making money? And what difference does it make if Western(US) developers poor millions of dollars into a game(it's still nothing compared to movie budgets). If they can make a profit then so be it. That's the reality of the times.

And to say Western developers don't care about making good games is bullshit. We're getting quality releases every month, we've never had a steady stream of quality titles like this. Not during the Atari years, the NES years, the 16bit years, the Playstation years or the PS2 years(you're full of it Yahtzee).

By the way, the COD games are all solid titles. They're not bad games at all, that's why they keep selling.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
Baldr said:
It is down right stupid when Sony and Microsoft have open submissions for indie developers and Nintendo still has a "Don't come to us, we'll come to you" policy and then turn around and say there are no quality developers.
I didn't know they even had a policy.

But Nintendo has always been about the strong first party so getting other people to work with for them isn't a problem. If anything some of the indie developers on the XBox Live or PSN may be ones they could covet.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
well said, Tanabe, well said. Nintendo have WAY more of a grasp on what making a fun game is. It's why they liked Retro since they wanted to make fun games, not really make a cashcow.

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
I would be more inclined to believe Nintendo when they say this if their catalog wasn't filled with endless repeats of the same few franchises.

AngelOfBlueRoses

The Cerulean Prince
Nov 5, 2008
BiH-Kira said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
BiH-Kira said:

I know there is hate for them.
But I have jet to see as much hate for anything as people hate Nintendo. People LOVE Hitler compared to Nintendo.
That's because this is an off-month where Activision isn't doing anything at all and actually isn't running their mouth for once. Trust me, though, we hate Kotick and Activision more than anybody else here at the Escapist. Walk into a news thread with Activision as its headline and you'll see nothing but outrage.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
It's because US developers prefer to create something instead of joining the endless copypasta fest.

I've never seen a Nintendo product that would stand up to modern standards and quality. They just copy and paste everything they've created at the beginning of their existence.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
zombie711 said:
HankMan said:
vansau said:
Super Mario Galaxy 2
That is all
Counter-attack!
Super Mario galaxy 2 is the highest rated platformer game of all time, so their point still stands.
Counter attack to the counter attack. Professional reviewers have been coddling Nintendo 1st party games for years with overblown scores.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
zombie711 said:
HankMan said:
zombie711 said:
HankMan said:
vansau said:
Super Mario Galaxy 2
That is all
Counter-attack!
Super Mario galaxy 2 is the highest rated platformer game of all time, so their point still stands.
Hail Mary Pass!
Super Mario galaxy 2 is the highest rated platformer reboot of all time.
Mega Interception!
Was there a super Mario galaxy that was not on the wii?
Ultra tackle by the safety.
A reboot doesn't have to have roots on other consoles.
Super Mario Galaxy 2 was a retcon/reboot of the original game. Making SMG2 Reboot in the same console generation is lazy.

edwood_grant

Oct 4, 2010
I think Nintendo is being arrogant by saying that. Nintendo is saying: No one is better than US when talking about pouring love in big corporations and we turn them all down...

But oh my GOD! Two dollar tittles are actually making competition on our precious DS by actually making refreshing games that the general people enjoy? By beating US on our OWN casual game market?? We must eliminate all those "garage developers" now! No allowance by Nintendo!

Serously though, they are going to miss the "next big thing" in the next decade by ignoring the "garage developers" (unless they manage to make another huge blue ocean, which I really doubt). So that comment from them is uncalled for... with these last series of comments from them, it sounds more that they are scared about the future because they "lost control of it (e.g. portable market)" I believe.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
pandasaw said:
How dare we make money!
We're such dicks...

Seriously, we should only be making purely fun games that only earn us just enough profit so that we can give hearty bonuses to our employees after everything is paid off.

Wait... I like that idea. Well, as well as giving the companies some extra capital to invest in more good games.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
HankMan said:
HankMan said:
vansau said:
Super Mario Galaxy 2
That is all
LeonLethality said:
Super Mario Galaxy 2 was one of the best games I have ever played.
WhiteTigerShiro said:
What's your point? Hell, the fact that you can only list one game just goes to show the weakness of your stance.
Exactly!
A cash-in can still be a good game.
What weakness?

As already stated by posters here, and by a lot of the interviews or press conferences with Nintendo (particularly Fils-aime and Miyamoto), Nintendo, and Japanese companies in general have a very different approach to business than Western companies.

Nintendo released another Super Mario on Wii because thats what the audience wanted; the first one was super popular and well-received, and fans wanted more. So Nintendo releases another Super Mario, even more polished and prepared than the first one, and gets rewarded for it. Nintendo was driven to please fans first; reward and gain was secondary. Nintendo changes because they feel the creative drive and need to, and then see how fans react to it. In Nintendo's case, this usually rewards them with more money.

Activision on the other hand, doesn't give a flying fuck about fans, and releases Call of Duty every year because it made money before, and they want more. In Activision's case, the want for money precedes the need to please fans. Activision forces change only when the old method stops earning them money.

"But wait, why then do other companies change more than Nintendo?"

Because Nintendo started with a better core product than basically every other company out there. Much as you don't want to admit it, the core concept and execution of games like Mario, Zelda and Pokemon are damn near perfect; you can't improve on them much at all. You can polish and shine and sharpen until it gleams so much other, lesser games can't even stand to look at it. Games like Mario, Zelda, Pokemon are basically timeless; 20 years from now, people and children will still be playing them, and new ones will likely still be being made, whereas you'll be lucky if Microsoft and Sony are still in the business, and if games like Minecraft and devs like Mojang become more than footnotes in history in 20 years.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Nintendo: "these studios are all too interested in making money... that's OUR JOB!

We were hoping to have some really creative dev teams that were so financially incompetent we could easily take 90% of the profit for us only doing 10% of the work."

___

Seriously, Nintendo are really being over-controlling hypocrites here, now they have made good games but they HAVE price-gouged to a very wide extent and they have clearly tried to maximise their profits this generation rather than really set the agenda in the pinnacle of gaming. They are defined my by quantity than quality

I mean Mario Galaxy 2 for $60? That should have been like Super Street fighter 4, released for $40 due to how it was pretty much just an upgrade.

And the Nintendo Wii STILL is sold at a huge profit per system, about $79 per unit in Europe and that was back in 2007, by now in 2011 even with the meagre price cuts they're raking it in.

And not forgetting what Nintendo's official line is on App-store style pricing for mini-games. They think games like Steel Diver should be $40 rather than $4!