zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
zombie711 said:
HankMan said:
zombie711 said:
HankMan said:
vansau said:
Apparently this difficulty is due more to the fact that studios aren't interested in producing quality games, but are instead only interested in making money:
Super Mario Galaxy 2
That is all
Counter-attack!
Super Mario galaxy 2 is the highest rated platformer game of all time, so their point still stands.
Hail Mary Pass!
Super Mario galaxy 2 is the highest rated platformer reboot of all time.
Mega Interception!
Was there a super Mario galaxy that was not on the wii?
Ultra tackle by the safety.
A reboot doesn't have to have roots on other consoles.
Super Mario Galaxy 2 was a retcon/reboot of the original game. Making SMG2 Reboot in the same console generation is lazy.
Off bounds 20 yard penelty!
it can be a reboot because its only been 2 years and you see that number 2. that makes it a sequel. If nintendo wanted a game that would have made money they would have made new super mario bros 2 because New super mario bros sold significantly more than SMG. With the name brand comes responsibility, with responsibility comes fun, with fun comes money.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
zombie711 said:
HankMan said:
vansau said:
Apparently this difficulty is due more to the fact that studios aren't interested in producing quality games, but are instead only interested in making money:
Super Mario Galaxy 2
That is all
Counter-attack!
Super Mario galaxy 2 is the highest rated platformer game of all time, so their point still stands.
Counter attack to the counter attack. Professional reviewers have been coddling Nintendo 1st party games for years with overblown scores.
COMBO BREAKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whether or not you agree with reviewers does not mean the game is bad. And considering that reviewers both official and independent praise nintendo games (with exceptions like Other M) They must be doing something right (which they are)

Puzzlenaut

Mar 11, 2011
ENKC said:
I'm going to nitpick here - wouldn't the title of article make sense with the word 'Western' instead of 'U.S.'?

And the collaboration with Rare up to about 2002 was one of the hottest 'streaks' of any developer/publisher combination ever. Too bad they've not recaptured those glory days.
No because *most* western (besides US-based) developers are *fairly* small, which means they have to innovate and make something interesting in order to attract a buyer's eye.

ENKC

May 3, 2010
Puzzlenaut said:
ENKC said:
I'm going to nitpick here - wouldn't the title of article make sense with the word 'Western' instead of 'U.S.'?

And the collaboration with Rare up to about 2002 was one of the hottest 'streaks' of any developer/publisher combination ever. Too bad they've not recaptured those glory days.
No because *most* western (besides US-based) developers are *fairly* small, which means they have to innovate and make something interesting in order to attract a buyer's eye.
However true that might be, it's irrelevant to my point. The whole article concerned western developers in general, and the title didn't reflect it.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
zombie711 said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
zombie711 said:
HankMan said:
zombie711 said:
HankMan said:
vansau said:
Super Mario Galaxy 2
That is all
Counter-attack!
Hail Mary Pass!
Super Mario galaxy 2 is the highest rated platformer reboot of all time.
Mega Interception!
Was there a super Mario galaxy that was not on the wii?
Ultra tackle by the safety.
A reboot doesn't have to have roots on other consoles.
Super Mario Galaxy 2 was a retcon/reboot of the original game. Making SMG2 Reboot in the same console generation is lazy.
Off bounds 20 yard penelty!
it can be a reboot because its only been 2 years and you see that number 2. that makes it a sequel. If nintendo wanted a game that would have made money they would have made new super mario bros 2 because New super mario bros sold significantly more than SMG. With the name brand comes responsibility, with responsibility comes fun, with fun comes money.
Penalty overturned!
The game has the exact same concept as the first SMG as well as rips multiple bosses right out of the first game and places them in the second. And so what if the game came out 2 years after the first? It's still a retcon/reboot story. Look at the Evil Dead series. Evil Dead 2 is essentially a reboot of Evil Dead. Evil Dead is the reboot of Within The Woods (the short film version) that came 3 years prior. And to your New Super Mario Bros. arguement you realize that New Super Mario Bros Wii is a sequal to the DS version right?

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
zombie711 said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
zombie711 said:
HankMan said:
vansau said:
Super Mario Galaxy 2
That is all
Counter-attack!
Counter attack to the counter attack. Professional reviewers have been coddling Nintendo 1st party games for years with overblown scores.
COMBO BREAKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whether or not you agree with reviewers does not mean the game is bad. And considering that reviewers both official and independent praise nintendo games (with exceptions like Other M) They must be doing something right (which they are)
NOT REALLY!!!!!
I never said the game was bad, but it being the highest rated platformer of all time means nothing when you look at all of the overlooking of flaws in most of Nintendo's first party games. Nintendo is doing something right. Appealing to those who grew up on Nintendo and nothing else. Guys like me who grew up in the 90s-early 2000s got to experience massive innovations from Sony and Microsoft. Yes we love Mario too but redoing things is lazy no matter how good it is copypasta is copypasta.

Snooder

May 12, 2008
The thing is though, that Nintendo kinda painted themselves into a hole with the Wii. Simply speaking, making a console aimed primarily at kids kinda doesn't well in the Western development world.

Here's the thing, most Western developers who aren't in it for the money ultimately make games for themselves. I was a Comp Sci student once, long ago, and the people who took the graphics classes and talked about maybe opening a video game studio one day weren't planning to make games their kids could play. They wanted to make games they could play. It's not really possible to do that on the Wii and that is entirely Nintendo's fault. It's Nintendo's fault that they've marketed and designed their console to appeal mostly to kids. It's Nintendo's fault that the 3rd party Wii market is crowded with gimmicky shovelware. You cannot create the console version of a facebook game platform and then complain that only the type of people who make facebook games and cheap browser games want to develop on your console.

edit: That probably sounds harsher than intended. I'm not demeaning the people who make those games. But I can tell you right now that I don't know anybody who dreamed of making a facebook game as a 'labor of love'. I know plenty who wanted to do it for the sweet, sweet moolah, but the people who were willing to work long hours, get paid less and ultimately suffer the reduced job quality that writing game code gives over more stable and lucrative work did not want to make those games.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Snooder said:
The thing is though, that Nintendo kinda painted themselves into a hole with the Wii. Simply speaking, making a console aimed primarily at kids kinda doesn't well in the Western development world.
...which is probably why they aimed it at everyone.

Snooder

May 12, 2008
NeutralDrow said:
Snooder said:
Too bad they didn't.

I remember the launch of the wii. Saying it's for 'everyone' is like making a movie that's rated G or a game that's rated E. Everyone pretty much understands that it means you will not be catering to more mature audience.

Take in comparison the marketing and advertising for the xbox kinect. That was all about families and kids playing together in front of a screen. Guess what, months later all we see for what is apparently a wonderful piece of hardware is shovelware, shovelware everywhere.

The way you portray your system affects how potential customers will view it. This in turn affects how people who want to sell things to those customers will in turn view it. Nintendo made it pretty clear from their initial launch offerings, marketing, and public statements that they primarily cared about making games for children and families. There were a few exceptions in 3rd party games, notably MadWorld and No More Heroes, which by and large didn't make nearly as much money as similar titles on other consoles. Certainly no first party Nintendo game can even try to make that argument.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
Maybe they should invest in a few developers who are willing to make games that appeal to a broader spectrum of gamers. The Wii has some great games, but I find it is far less often that I am sitting in my favorite game vendor looking for a new release on the Wii. Generally if I buy a game for the Wii it has aged a bit and the price has dropped, mostly because it is so hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Snooder said:
NeutralDrow said:
Snooder said:
Too bad they didn't.

snip

The way you portray your system affects how potential customers will view it. This in turn affects how people who want to sell things to those customers will in turn view it. Nintendo made it pretty clear from their initial launch offerings, marketing, and public statements that they primarily cared about making games for children and families.
My point is made. Claiming they marketed the console specifically for children not only belied their actual marketing, but who exactly bought the consoles. In other words, basically every age range.

Snooder

May 12, 2008
NeutralDrow said:
Snooder said:
NeutralDrow said:
Snooder said:
Too bad they didn't.

snip

The way you portray your system affects how potential customers will view it. This in turn affects how people who want to sell things to those customers will in turn view it. Nintendo made it pretty clear from their initial launch offerings, marketing, and public statements that they primarily cared about making games for children and families.
My point is made. Claiming they marketed the console specifically for children not only belied their actual marketing, but who exactly bought the consoles. In other words, basically every age range.
Ah sorry, I meant to imply families along with said children. Family-friendly around these parts is synonymous with child-friendly. Doesn't change my point about the effect of their marketing and demographic choice.