Nintendo: "Heyday of Piracy" Is Over

May 25, 2010
QuirkyTambourine said:
Isn't there some sort of Murphy's Law regarding "unhackable DRM"? The prime example that springs to mind is Ubisoft's "super secure DRM" that required an internet connection 24/7. That was cracked in what? 48 hours?

Obviously a hardware device will take a little longer but isn't it poking the bear just a little bit by saying "We've made this device uncrackable" I foresee lots of very competent people responding "Challenge accepted"
This may be inacurrate, but I read somewhere, that it took hackers almost 2 months to properly pirate AC2 on PC.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
QuirkyTambourine said:
Isn't there some sort of Murphy's Law regarding "unhackable DRM"? The prime example that springs to mind is Ubisoft's "super secure DRM" that required an internet connection 24/7. That was cracked in what? 48 hours?

Obviously a hardware device will take a little longer but isn't it poking the bear just a little bit by saying "We've made this device uncrackable" I foresee lots of very competent people responding "Challenge accepted"
That actually lasted quite a while, over a month if I recall.

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
Sep 2, 2009
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
"In aggressively unrelated news, Nintendo executives are hinting that the 3DS project won't actually turn a profit for at least seven years, due to the enormous amount of time and money wasted on their anti-copying technology. Also, 3DS sales have lagged due to the platform's poor battery life, owing to its constantly checking in to yourpapersplease.nintendo.com to ensure the system is only running code authorized by Nintendo..."

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
Nothing is uncrackable. The more you proclaim that it is infallible the more people will want to crack it.

Feb 13, 2008
John Funk said:
"It's always like a red rag to a bull [http://www.glastonbridge.co.uk/flash/q.php?i=Red+Rag+to+a+Bull] isn't it? I almost don't want to comment on that sort of thing."
Bulls are colourblind. It's the flapping that infuriates them.

But yeah, don't EVER say something is pirate-proof. It's like messing with guys who can install Linux on PS3s.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
Although I tend to stand on the anti-piracy side of neutral, I'd love to see this thing cracked just to teach them a bit of hubris.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Nintendo, listen to me. Never, ever bait pirates like this. Without motivation, they might not crack it for years. Now? I give it two weeks. A month, tops.

QuirkyTambourine

Jul 26, 2009
John Funk said:
QuirkyTambourine said:

Huh, my mistake. And my fault for pulling numbers out of a very dark place located immediately behind me.

The point remains the same though I think, give those type of people, the ones with the honest skill to crack a piece of hardware, a reason to do it, a thumb to the nose or what have you, and they will set about it with great gusto.

That actually lasted quite a while, over a month if I recall.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
I give it a month, at best... Honestly, long as people are able to educate them selfs, nothing can stop them.

Edit: I mean we got load of people with education is technical professions. you can stop people from co-working together.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
It's like Nintendo wants the 3DS to get hacked within the first 24 hours me to facepalm

I wish system developers would stop telling us their machines are uncrackable. I mean is it just so hard to shut up and make sure all the games on the system so awesome that everyone will WANT to buy them?

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
Okay... Some long term approach.

Nintendo supports COICA [http://demandprogress.org/blacklist/coica]

So it's not a surprise the CEO is confident in making legislation to deter pirates. BUT... Let's factor in what they took away from the 3DS.

Regionalization back in the system
DRM
Challenge to break DRM
Homebrew games left off the table

Basically there is more, but if Nintendo decides to go the way of the monopolist, it won't take long for them to be taken down.

Give it two weeks tops. I bet three cookies.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Quite frankly, for the sake of us import gamers, I hope Nintendo loses this fight as soon as possible. I wouldn't normally support such activities, but in light of their decision to region lock the 3DS, I have little sympathy for them in regards to this matter.

Hey, Nintendo, here is a tip. Do you know what is a good way to not encourage piracy? By not forcing your legitimate paying customers to resort to it in order to play their legitimately purchased games.

Spoon E11

Oct 27, 2010
I can see nintendo regreting the decision to say this a couple of months down the line.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Random thoughts:

Anyone can make a security system they themselves can't break.

I've yet to see an antipiracy solution that was touted as easily breakable. And I've seen 'em back a long way [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenslok].

zmanu

Nov 18, 2009
This new sandcastle of mine is the strongest sandcastle I have ever built. Those bullies are never going to stomp it down!

UmbrellaAssassin

May 27, 2009
Well now all those anti-piracy restrictions will make it harder on the consumer that actually buys the game, and it still will be cracked. Its a no win scenario, the harder game companies try to more buggy and bullshit it becomes for the people that buy the game, while pirates will laugh their asses off while they find the work around like they always do, and they will have more fun with a more stable game.

Yay for buying games than?

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
John Funk said:
"It's always like a red rag to a bull [http://www.glastonbridge.co.uk/flash/q.php?i=Red+Rag+to+a+Bull] isn't it? I almost don't want to comment on that sort of thing."
Bulls are colourblind. It's the flapping that infuriates them.

But yeah, don't EVER say something is pirate-proof. It's like messing with guys who can install Linux on PS3s.
And on that note...

[video=1726]

On topic: That's what they said about the PS3. And the Wii. And the 360. And the iPhone. And the DS. And the PSP. And so on and so forth. Ultimately: you can stop hacking.