Nintendo is not cool

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
You serious about the graphics? There hasn't been a single first-party Nintendo game that made me think "Man, this looks terrible". In fact, I thought that Super Mario Galaxy and Super Smash Bros. Brawl looked really good (granted SSBB only looked good in cutscenes).

Also, the WiiU only supports one "WiiU controller". You can still use multiple wiimotes and there may even be another more traditional controller that they're coming out with.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
believer258 said:
canadamus_prime said:
Ok first of all I'm going to remind everyone that HD is just a big fucking gimmick, esp. those who pounce on motion controls and claim that they are a gimmick.
Sylocat said:
And anyway, no, Nintendo is not "cool," which is what I like about it. Grayish-brown shooters are what qualifies as "cool" nowadays, and I want no part of it.
And secondly, pretty much what this guy said. Considering that "cool" these days consist pretty much entirely of brownish greyathons, I'm kinda glad that they aren't "cool."
And also, pardon Nintendo for trying to movie the industry forward. Trying to making gaming a more interactive experience.
I don't want this to sound mean or rude, so I'll try to avoid that.

But with Nintendo's console, there's a lot of shovelware. Completely unoriginal crap marketed to the casual crowd that has pretty much stopped giving a damn. I can't think of a single high profile Nintendo game coming out this year. A different controller does not equal innovation or pushing gaming in any way; it will remain nothing more than a remote until something actually takes that idea and makes something new with it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aside from Nintendo properties, No More Heroes, and that Monster Hunter game, what has come out that oozes excellence and really made something different and did it almost perfectly?

As for what you said with HD - it does matter a little. HD claimed to be better video and sound, and that's exactly what it delivered. HD also makes everything in the picture clearer, allowing a gamer to make out better details at further distances. It's nothing big, sure, but it never claimed to be. Nintendo claimed to be something huge, and as far as I can tell it hasn't done anything.

This is not to say that the Wii is a bad system, but it just hasn't pushed gaming anywhere near as much as the motion controller promised.
Well ok, maybe HD would actually make a difference in one of those first person brownish greyathons, but in all the games I've played in HD, the HD hasn't meant shit.
As for Nintendo, a lot of the problems you mention are due to the fact that many 3rd party developers are reluctant to make use of the technology. Nintendo took a HUGE risk with the Wii and it's only because of the casual market that they haven't payed dearly for it. Also, if you quote me correctly, I said they were trying to innovate and move the industry forward. Trying =/= succeeding, although I think Nintendo has done fairly well in that regard.

Mehall

Feb 1, 2010
This post I'm about to make is about to become my default answer to anyone who has a problem with the Wii.

Me and a friend recently weer talking about console exclusives (we're both PC gamers, but pay good attention to consoles too) and I told him the Wii was the console with the most good exclusives.

Let's break this down, what does the 360 have?
Halo
Forza
Banjo & Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
Kameo
Crackdown
Dance Central (Don't argue, it's really well made)
EDF 2017
Gears of War
Viva Pinata

TOTAL: 9

PS3 time now:
Ratchet & Clank
Demon's Souls
Disgaea
God of War
Gran Turismo
iNFamous
Little Big Planet
Metal Gear Solid
ModNation Racers
Uncharted
Valkyria Chronicles
Yakuza
Wipeout

TOTAL: 13

Now it's time for the Wii.

Mario platformers
Mario racers
Smash Bros.
DK country returns
Kirbys epic yarn
Fire Emblem
Klonoa
Little King's Story
Twilight Princess
Madworld
Metroid Prime: Trilogy
Monster Hunter Tri
No More Heroes
Red Steel 2 (The first was crap, the 2nd is just too short, but great great fun to play)
Sin & Punishment 2: Star Successor
Tales of Symphonia
Tatsunoko vs Capcom (Possibly even better than MvC3)
Eledees (Known as Elebits outside Europe I believe)
Battalion Wars

TOTAL: 19

Add in GC backwards comparability and the Virtual console and you get essentially the full back catalogue, including so many greats I actually couldn't name them all without just linking to the shop itself.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
believer258 said:
I can't think of a single high profile Nintendo game coming out this year.
It will probably end up getting pushed back, but Skyward Sword is currently scheduled for 2011.

Mehall said:

Mario platformers
Mario racers
Smash Bros.
DK country returns
Kirbys epic yarn
Fire Emblem
Klonoa
Little King's Story
Twilight Princess
Madworld
Monster Hunter Tri
No More Heroes
Red Steel 2 (The first was crap, the 2nd is just too short, but great great fun to play)
Tales of Symphonia
Battalion Wars
If you don't mind a little feedback, I'd add Muramasa: The Demon Blade, Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles, and House of the Dead Overkill. Muramasa is a game that, quality-wise, would have been right at home on the SNES...one of my favorite "retro" games on the system. As for RE and House of the Dead, rail shooters are just perfect for the Wiimote.

Henkie36

Aug 25, 2010
I absolutely hate Nintendo. Mainly because it's the largest, richest and oldest games developer in the world and they still can't think of a new game every 5 years or so, or even ten years. It's just a load of sameyness, dating all the way back to 1984, and the differences on terms of gameplay, story and character development are subtle (insert Yathzee quote), ''in fact, you can be forgiven for saying:''There aren't any.''.'' Zelda and Mario don't seem to have undergone any changes despite maybe a slightly remodeling in HD, but that's it. Rockstar can develop a character better in 30 minutes then Nintendo can in 30 years and yes that is pretty fucking embarrasing! I am totally tired of saving Peach's ass up to a big ''Screw you, *****, get someone else to do this besides Luigi!''

All right, I will admit that Rockstar basically have been making the same game for the past fifteen years, you dropped in a city and you murder everyone and steal their cars, but at least the guy you play changes, and you get to know everyone of them!

Hardware from Nintendo always is experimental, and mostly realeased before it fully works properly. This not a good thing, and learning throughh trial and error is not something in its favor when you have to pay 300 bucks for it. And the Wii wasn't that groundshaking, since the same company made it before, only a lot worse. And uglier. Even the most adement Nintendo fanboy can unirobically claim that the Power Glove worked just fine.

In short, I hate Nintendo because they spend less time writing new scripts then they spend counting all the money Mario has made them.

Mehall

Feb 1, 2010
believer258 said:
The PS1 and PS2 were the same. Tons and tons of shovelware, and you had to look for the gems. People have just gotten lazy and not bothered LOOKING anymore.

I can't think of a single high profile Nintendo game coming out this year.[/quoet]

Not one?
The Last Story
Skyward Sword
Xenoblade Chronicles

A different controller does not equal innovation or pushing gaming in any way; it will remain nothing more than a remote until something actually takes that idea and makes something new with it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aside from Nintendo properties, No More Heroes, and that Monster Hunter game, what has come out that oozes excellence and really made something different and did it almost perfectly?
See my previous reply. Almost every single one of the games I listed used it an either an intuitive or exciting way.

As for what you said with HD - it does matter a little. HD claimed to be better video and sound, and that's exactly what it delivered. HD also makes everything in the picture clearer, allowing a gamer to make out better details at further distances. It's nothing big, sure, but it never claimed to be. Nintendo claimed to be something huge, and as far as I can tell it hasn't done anything.
HD was hyped more than even 3D is being hyped. I disagree with Nintendo not at least having some form of true HD output on the Wii, but when the Wii was released most people still used SD screens.

Oh, and when I statred working in a games shop ni 2009 (and through most of 2010) most people buying any console (including the Blu-ray equipped PS3) didn't have an HD TV, or weren't hooking up their console to the main TV.

Mehall

Feb 1, 2010
starwarsgeek said:
believer258 said:
I can't think of a single high profile Nintendo game coming out this year.
It will probably end up getting pushed back, but Skyward Sword is currently scheduled for 2011.

Mehall said:

Mario platformers
Mario racers
Smash Bros.
DK country returns
Kirbys epic yarn
Fire Emblem
Klonoa
Little King's Story
Twilight Princess
Madworld
Monster Hunter Tri
No More Heroes
Tales of Symphonia
Battalion Wars
If you don't mind a little feedback, I'd add Muramasa: The Demon Blade, Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles, and House of the Dead Overkill. Muramasa is a game that, quality-wise, would have been right at home on the SNES...one of my favorite "retro" games on the system. As for RE and House of the Dead, rail shooters are just perfect for the Wiimote.
Muramasa! Of course! Knew I was forgetting one!
And I don't think Overkill should make the list, but I would agree with you on the Resi games.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
Ok first of all I'm going to remind everyone that HD is just a big fucking gimmick
I agree with you on this I see no difference in picture when watching TV, in games the graphics are slightly better.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
ToTaL LoLiGe said:
canadamus_prime said:
Ok first of all I'm going to remind everyone that HD is just a big fucking gimmick
I agree with you on this I see no difference in picture when watching TV, in games the graphics are slightly better though

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Super Mario Galaxy/2. Twilight Princess. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. Mario Kart Wii. How is it that you own a Wii and supported Nintendo for the last four generations, and yet you didn't buy any of their first-party games? Or is it that your nostalgia has grown into a semi-sentient parasitic being and is somehow preventing you from buying any Zelda game that isn't one from 13 years ago with clunky combat and the world's most annoying exposition dumps courtesy of two of the world's most annoying characters?

Heck, if you own a Wii and want good games, you should at least take the time to track down a copy of Okami!

Mehall

Feb 1, 2010
Henkie36 said:
I absolutely hate Nintendo. Mainly because it's the largest, richest and oldest games developer in the world and they still can't think of a new game every 5 years or so, or even ten years. It's just a load of sameyness, dating all the way back to 1984
They released two new franchises in 2001, Animal Crossing and Pikmin, have frequently published small developers both in Japan and other territories, to allow them to try their own new franchises.

Also;

Endless Ocean (2007)
Chibi Robo (2005)

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Yes it is. Like they said at E3, they care more about innovation than staying with the types of bars the other systems set. No matter what they're like now, motion controls have potential. If everyone stopped working on them now because they don't work perfectly, that potential will never be realized. People these days are so impatient. If something doesn't work exactly how they think it should, they think it should be dropped completely and developers should go back to what we've been doing for at least a decade.

Did people complain when graphics were four colors + transparency? Hell no. And now look at what we have.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
I was never a Nintendo kinda guy (except Pokémon), SEGA all the way!

I can see you're point, Nintendo do try to do something different quite a lot, doesn't always work, but I don't think they've messed up consistently frequently enough for no-one to give them any money.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Hey, I haven't played on a Nintendo console since the Original Nes. I don't feel like I have missed a thing. Honestly, I didn't really care about any Nintendo games one way or the other this whole time. At least, not enough to buy their consoles just for those 2 or 3 games I was actually interested in.

And I was, and still am, openly hostile towards the Wii. I had no interest in motion controls. And from what I've seen Nintendo doesn't care about them either, anymore. Most of their games can be played without the motion controls and apparently play better that way. And the Wii U apparently dropped them from what I've heard.

Long story short, I don't care about Nintendo. But I don't think Nintendo cares about me either, so there's no love loss.
[sub]Wouldn't mind them porting a Zelda game to another console, though.[/sub]

c.lavranos said:
Oh and as for Arkham City...I'll be playing it months earlier on my PS3 thanks Reggie.
This bugs me. Does Nintendo actually think anyone will buy their new console to play games like Arkham City and Dark Siders 2? Games that can be played on other systems, too. Systems that most people who would be interested in them already have. I'm sorry, but its just too little too late in my mind.

And the Wii U only supports one Wii U controller at a time? That literally ruins 90% of the games I could see the touch screen being useful for. It just reeks of desperate gimmick to me.
[sub]Though the PS3 Six-axis controller wasn't much better[/sub]

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
You could say that for any game. Microsoft/Sony fanboys will always say that they are better then the other and then the Wii, and PC boys will always say that they beat any console in graphics. the wii has its good games and it has its bad, and if nothing else, you have the whole GC catalog.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
Henkie36 said:
(insert Yathzee quote), ''in fact, you can be forgiven for saying:''There aren't any.''.'' Zelda and Mario don't seem to have undergone any changes despite maybe a slightly remodeling in HD, but that's it.
This picture sums up why I think complaints like that are total crap.

Obviously, the series will use similar core mechanics that evolve through the years, but Nintendo has made a serious effort to make sure the games have enough variety to stand out. Same goes for Mario, but I don't have a picture for that one.

Mehall said:
Muramasa! Of course! Knew I was forgetting one!
And I don't think Overkill should make the list, but I would agree with you on the Resi games.
Fair enough. I mostly suggested it for the cut scenes, which I think are funny enough to make the game worthwhile, but not everyone is going to think that.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
Saltyk said:
c.lavranos said:
Oh and as for Arkham City...I'll be playing it months earlier on my PS3 thanks Reggie.
This bugs me. Does Nintendo actually think anyone will buy their new console to play games like Arkham City and Dark Siders 2? Games that can be played on other systems, too. Systems that most people who would be interested in them already have. I'm sorry, but its just too little too late in my mind.

And the Wii U only supports one Wii U controller at a time? That literally ruins 90% of the games I could see the touch screen being useful for. It just reeks of desperate gimmick to me.
[sub]Though the PS3 Six-axis controller wasn't much better[/sub]
Actually it's five, not one. It supports one Touch-screen controller and four wii-remotes. I'm really interested to see how this works out...the new controller opens up a lot possibilities, and motion controls are more of an "option" than ever...the majority of single-player games will use the new controller, and for multiplayer...well, it's safe to assume that just about anyone who likes the Wii but not its remote has a classic controller. It can't take too long to prepare for the classic, can it?