Nintendo Lays To Rest Zelda Timeline Mystery

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
la-le-lu-li-lo said:
crazyhaircut94 said:
Have you, seen these uncut versions? Do tell about it.
Oh totally, me and Miyamoto hang out on the weekends. We're BFFs.

And I signed a contract not to speak about them! I will say that Link leaves in the morning and doesn't call Zelda back. Leaves a note saying 'That's's for all the other Zeldas who didn't put out for all the other Links! B****.'

He then rides off into the sunset.

Simriel said:
You win plus 500 interwebz.
Thanks! I was hungry too. OMNOMNOM.
You eated my interwebz D: !!!!!

wadark

Dec 22, 2007
Not to be a jerk, but I specifically remember reading an article in Nintendo Power several years ago in which Shigeru Miyamoto was asked this direct question and responded by saying (paraphrased) that with the exception of the obvious direct sequels (like Majora's Mask) each game, each link, each timeline was stand-alone and not part of a larger timeline or "universe".

So I guess what I'm saying is, this info is a good half-decade behind at least.

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
Internet Kraken said:
I thought it was obvious that none of them link up. How the hell would all of the main characters keep coming back to life?
THIS.
Zombie_Fish said:
Okay, here's the line, and he's just crossed it.

Seriously, I have never cared about the timeline of any videogame series. It's like trying to put the Mario games in chronologial order, it just would be impossible to do.
This, except with games that actually DO have a timeline. Then, I'm all about the continuity.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
la-le-lu-li-lo said:
crazyhaircut94 said:
Have you, seen these uncut versions? Do tell about it.
Oh totally, me and Miyamoto hang out on the weekends. We're BFFs.

And I signed a contract not to speak about them! I will say that Link leaves in the morning and doesn't call Zelda back. Leaves a note saying 'That's's for all the other Zeldas who didn't put out for all the other Links! B****.'

He then rides off into the sunset.
But you did just speak about them. And I want proof! Send me the special edition, and I'll believe you. And you're not the only one with secret connections. I'm a very good buddy with Tetsuya Nomura, who gives me special editions and previews of Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts games. That's way better than hidden Zelda scenes... There are hidden FF/KH scenes if you know what I mean.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
actually it does shows quite a study in his part of the games to come up with such ideas, the gilded sword and the mirror shield are great examples in his teory, i liked his time line

i dont waste time making up storyes for a game that haves run that long, but still, his train of thought didn´t seemed weird at all, and well, his last statement was just stupid, N doesn´t want to addopt a timeline because they dont need it to be that complicated, making a game and leaving it at that is great in my opinion, no need to fuss about past games.

still... his arguments made sense, so yeah, i´m gonna go with that (but i dont need the recognition of a corporation to feel good about what i think)

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
Exactly. It also didn't help when you were playing The Wind Waker and someone said 'The Hero of Tme is not in this land now, he is elsewhere'. That probably f*cked with their lives a bit.

To be honest though, it appears Twilight Princess is starting a timeline of it's own, so let's see what happens.
I always saw Twilight Princess as the game in which Ganon turned the Holy Land he was sealed in into the Dark World.
Think about it, Link can't maintain his own form and turns into an animal until you collect a special item just like on the SNES.

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008
In all his research for his theory you'd think he would've come across the Miyamoto interview.

I mean, I'm not even a big Zelda fan and I still remembered that.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
while the multi world is a good exsplanation, i still thing the games exsist in a time line for the most part because of one character, gannon.
if you look the way he talks about his imprisonment in the twilight/golden world you can begean to fit a timeline. but still thats only what i think, i may very well be wrong,
but even so i could be right, the world may never know.

la-le-lu-li-lo

Jun 1, 2009
crazyhaircut94 said:
But you did just speak about them. And I want proof! Send me the special edition, and I'll believe you. And you're not the only one with secret connections. I'm a very good buddy with Tetsuya Nomura, who gives me special editions and previews of Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts games. That's way better than hidden Zelda scenes... There are hidden FF/KH scenes if you know what I mean.
Yeah, I spoke about the parts I wasn't under oath not to speak about!!

No way am I sending you the special edition, I'm hoarding that shit to myself!

Annnd, annd Hideo Kojima is my BFF too! :spits out tongue:

Simriel said:
You eated my interwebz D: !!!!!
It was delicious.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
la-le-lu-li-lo said:
crazyhaircut94 said:
Yeah, I spoke about the parts I wasn't under oath not to speak about!!

No way am I sending you the special edition, I'm hoarding that shit to myself!

Annnd, annd Hideo Kojima is my BFF too! :spits out tongue:
Well, I'm BFF with Gabe Newell! I'll be getting Episode 3 before it hits shelfs.

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
So... Because Nintendo doesn't respect his stupid theory, they don't love the franchise or their fans? Maybe Nintendo should adopt all of the creepy fanfiction over the net into their canon, if they REALLY respect their fans.

IHaveNoCoolness

Apr 14, 2009
Nintendo owns the property, the stories, they can say whatever they want. You can interpret it however you want. They still own it, so it's ultimately their decision seeing as how they wrote it. People often interpret literature different than how the original author wrote it. That doesn't mean it isn't a valid interpretation, it just isn't the truth from the creator's point of view. Deal with it.

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
Makes sense I suppose. So the Link in Wind Waker is the same as the one in Phantom Hourglass?

5stringedbandit

Jun 6, 2009
I knew the Zelda timeline didn't work. I'm pretty sure it tells you its a new link in every episode in the beginning of Wind Waker. I swear it says something about a number of hero's of time when you put on the heroes clothes

Shia-Neko-Chan

Apr 23, 2008
Ah, just as I thought.

A timeline for a game that doesn't really have that much of a story couldn't make much sense. :/

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Am I the only one who finds it hilarious when fans decide they know whats right and when "word of god" tells then other wise they are unable to except it. So much to they will still believe they are right.