Nintendo Needs To Reboot Mario and Luigi

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I'm inclined to wholeheartedly disagree, which is unusual.

First- I genuinely don't know anyone who thinks well of the Super Mario Bros. movie. I certainly didn't. Sure, I've seen worse movies- but I've seen plenty of B-grade junk without a single recognizable name and budgets in the tens of dollars, so that's damning with faint praise indeed. And if people looked like they were "having fun" making it, it may be because they were drunk off their asses trying to cope with the big-name project they were working on going through armageddon both on- and off-set. ([link]http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9123782/the-strange-case-super-mario-bros-movie[/link])

Secondly, yeah, Mario could use some more innovative ideas, but I don't really think the depth of the plot or the characters is where it's at. Personally, I think it's okay on occasion to just have a vague framework of cartoon/fairy tale archetypes- a structure that never tries to explain how Mario went from being a carpenter to a plumber or how he's dumping Bowser into a pit of lava one day and playing tennis with him the next. By way of comparison, virtually every attempt to turn those archetypes into something like a coherent fiction- cartoons and movie alike- has been kind of embarrassing.

I don't want to bring up the lazy and misguided "it's just a video game" chestnut, but someone wisely once said that most media have room for both high and low art. Maybe we don't need to know Luigi is busting ghosts because of a curse laid on the younger brothers of the Mario family seven generations past; maybe he can just do it because it was fun.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Sorta off-topic, but I just realized something.

The devolution gun is a slightly remodeled Super Scope 6.

OT: No, Mario shouldn't be rebooted. Adults are not the primary target audience of Mario games, nor have they ever been. Stop pretending they are and throwing a fit because they've grown stale and repetitive to you.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
theultimateend said:
Mario 64 without loading screens would be boss.
Mario 64 without loading screens IS Mario 64... Both the original and the DS Version...

OT: No way. Mario does not need rebooting. It's not like the Looney Tunes, where it was acceptable to do stuff like that back in the day, but now you can't, so you have to make it a modern sitcom that only hints at it's past. Mario is timeless really. And people should want to keep it that way. Adding story, or making it grimmer, or explaining everything, would not make it timeless, and then you would need to keep adding and removing stuff, like the Looney Tunes.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I would totally play a Mario game where you play as Peach and she has to stop Bowser's...I don't know, dad, I guess? Anyway, the point is, Peach somehow makes it to the Mushroom Kingdom, doesn't like that the Toads are being treated like slaves/dirt/basically horrible, and decides to do something about it. Finally, at the end, the Toads make her their Princess and she founds the Mushroom Kingdom. I'd play a game like that.

schwitz

Sep 30, 2012
I think the last paragraph gave me an idea, why not reboot Peach?
Start her off in New York or Brooklyn or wherever then she gets transported to the Mushroom Kingdom somehow to find it ruled by Bowser, enslaving all of those in the land. Peach goes on a mad 'free the slaves, kill everything else' spree and eventually unseats Bowser to take control of Mushroom Kingdom. It wouldn't even have to be gritty or anything (awesome if it was though) the story enough would be enough to get the ball rolling.

Final cut scene-
Peach sitting atop her throne with Bowser no longer in power. CUTS TO Mario and Luigi in Brooklyn fixing a pipe when they discover the warp pipe. CUTS BACK TO Bowser storming the castle and peach fighting them off until she gets pinned down and captured. Enter, the Mario Brothers.
Reboot Complete.

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
Reboot what? There is no story.

Lord the only thing you can reboot is the Princesses name back to Toadstool from Peach when they did what with Mario Sunshine.

Other than that, what can be rebooted? Every game is it's own mushroom trip...

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
I don't know if a reboot is necessary, but a game focused on the actual characters of Mario and Luigi, their relationship with Bowser and Peach could be a great or at the very least an interesting one. After all, Nintendo is a very big company with a lot of experience and trying something new with their franchises might be for invariably the better and- Excuse me for a second.

*picks up cellphone* Yeah?
...They did?
...What's it called then?
...Oh. [http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/6f/Metroid_Other_M_Cover.jpg/250px-Metroid_Other_M_Cover.jpg]
Oh my god.

No. I'm sorry, I'd rather let Mario curl up and die as a franchise than letting that happening again to ANYTHING. It's like franchise colchisine.

Dak_N_Jaxter

Oct 23, 2009
Great intro. I always kinda like that movie too.
Anyway, I guess you could reboot Mario (it'd be interesting at the very least), but I don't think it'll happen.
It'd be like rebooting Winnie the Pooh.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Mr.Mattress said:
theultimateend said:
Mario 64 without loading screens would be boss.
Mario 64 without loading screens IS Mario 64... Both the original and the DS Version...

OT: No way. Mario does not need rebooting. It's not like the Looney Tunes, where it was acceptable to do stuff like that back in the day, but now you can't, so you have to make it a modern sitcom that only hints at it's past. Mario is timeless really. And people should want to keep it that way. Adding story, or making it grimmer, or explaining everything, would not make it timeless, and then you would need to keep adding and removing stuff, like the Looney Tunes.
I'm sorry, I guess I didn't use the right word. I thought it was obvious.

Mario 64 without instanced maps...

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
I don't believe the plumber could really use a reboot. The 2D Mario games already focus too much on going 'back to basics', and any way you could change the universe with a reboot would only serve to distract people from what made Mario games special; their creative level design and wholesome (yet hilarious) sense of humor. Any dramatic change to Mario's universe would probably be better received as an entirely new IP rather then hijacking a successful and popular series.

With that being said, I really hope Nintendo's next announced installment to the 3D platformer side of the Mario series gets something out to really excite me. While the 2D games are fun yet uninspired, the 3D platformers never fail to impress me and capture my imagination. With the possible exception of Mario 3D land. Nintendo just needs to let loose with Mario and stop restraining him with tradition and nostalgia.

Eventually this generation of classic Mario players will pass and there won't be much about Mario that really leaves an impression on today's youth. I love Mario and I don't like to have to say it, but this business model will only sustain itself for so long without Nintendo putting some serious effort into stirring things up and giving us a memorable experience. Without it I'm not sure if Mario can really survive for another 10 years.

The Towel Boy

Nov 16, 2011
firmicute said:
and maybe peach could be more that an object to get`?

maybe peach could save them? or even change roles and peach and bowser are the heroes...
i mean, if you reboot it, you could make her the leading role and that would rock hard.^^
peach is riding the yosho-mobile and batteling two madmen who became greedy as they gained powers. she gets help by one old man, called b. owser.
They had a game like that, Super Princess Peach for the DS. Didn't do too hot, but some form of reboot is definitely needed from the dead cow.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Mario is the gaming Mickey Mouse, he's an icon. If he were to change to look different for a 'reboot' it'd cause a negative reaction from people and what would it gain them? A few people who'd ***** about how pathetic it is, a bunch of people annoyed that it changed and a few people enjoying it, but outnumbered by those who didn't.

Mario was born in the area of games appealing to a younger audience and an audience who enjoyed fantasy. He doesn't belong in the disgusting gaming market of today where realism is the way of making a 'good' game.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
The Towel Boy said:
firmicute said:
and maybe peach could be more that an object to get`?

maybe peach could save them? or even change roles and peach and bowser are the heroes...
i mean, if you reboot it, you could make her the leading role and that would rock hard.^^
peach is riding the yosho-mobile and batteling two madmen who became greedy as they gained powers. she gets help by one old man, called b. owser.
They had a game like that, Super Princess Peach for the DS. Didn't do too hot, but some form of reboot is definitely needed from the dead cow.
I highly doubt you can call it a dead cow when it still rakes in cash for Nintendo.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
How do you reboot a series that changes genre on a whim and has no connecting stories?

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Aiddon said:
that's....impossible. Mario doesn't really HAVE a continuity, explaining stuff ABOUT Mario, Peach, and the Mushroom Kingdom would be stupid (in the same vein of trying to make elaborate backstories about Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny, or Donald Duck), and an image change would be even MORE stupid. There's no reason for a reboot. Heck, the only Nintendo series I think even has a POSSIBILITY of a reboot is Metroid because that series is dependent on it being the life story of its ONE protagonist whose lifespan is finite.
This. Except for the part that almost all the Nintendo series' didn't need a reboot. I'm still waiting for Nintendo to do Twilight Princess: Non Half-Assed Edition