Nintendo: Petitions "Don't Affect What We Do"

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
What I find interesting is that all big name gaming companies are taking turns in embarassing themselves in a way that almost looks like it's on purpose. One'd think they would learn from eachother's mistakes.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Petitions like Operation Rainfall only benefited the company and got the game on the map, exposing great games to thousands of potential (and realized) buyers.

Reggie should have rephrased that message. Yes, there are other factors involved...

... but Xenoblade sold more than it did in Europe or Japan, despite Wii owners getting the game years later and basically towards the very end of the Wii's lifecycle when nearly everyone had abandoned it.

... Xenoblade being released earlier, and selling well, could have kept Wii momentum going and shown that great games can still sell on the humble system, rather than Nintendo themselves displaying a shocking lack of faith in such a great game.

... Xenoblade sold more than Europe and Japan, despite being only available directly from Nintendo or Gamestop. No Amazon, no Wal-mart, no Best Buy... and yet it SOLD OUT. Every last single new copy of the game is gone, with demand outstripping supply, and jacking up prices of used copies to nearly $100 due to Nintendo's unwillingness to do a second printing, indicating both their gross underestimation of the game's appeal, as well as their indifference at capitalizing on its success.

... Nintendo of America claim that the issue was the cost of "localizing" the game and the time and money it would need to do so... and yet all they did was use the localization of the European version, who actually spent the money and effort to translate and dub the game into English. All Nintendo of America did was change the region setting and print a few copies. They put in the absolute, most bare-bones effort into bringing the game to our shores, and they only did so after YEARS of waiting.

... The game still sold out despite die-hard JRPG fans importing the game from Europe, with even major websites like Destructoid and Kotaku giving players steps on how to mod your Wii just so you could play the game.

Xenoblade is easily one of the best JRPGs of all time, and easily one of the best Wii games in its library, and the fact Nintendo acted like it wasn't their responsibility and that an American audience didn't exist, when it eventually became a success (and might have been MORE of one had it had a wide release and a second printing so more people could buy it), just shows how... clueless... Nintendo is about their actual audience.

In fact, the Xenoblade successor on Wii U is the ONLY game that interests me for the system. Sorry Mario. Sorry Pikmin. Sorry Smash Bros. The follow-up to the game Nintendo almost couldn't be bothered to release in America is the game that would make me buy a system I'm not particularly interested in otherwise.

Seriously, Nintendo... you're a game company. You have ONE job. Release great games. If a great game fails, that's all on you, not the audience of the game that you failed to attract. Starving JRPG players proved that by making all three of those JRPGs you ignored successes once you actually put in the smallest modicum of effort to make them available.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Makes me think of all the petitions to Rockstar for PC ports that keep getting taken down.

I thought those would be a no-brainer; every game that's ever existed has an unofficial ROM port for PC emulation. Why chose to make no money at all off PC gamers by not offering a legal port? Too expensive to port? Get some fan-volunteers to do it for a free copy. Too much time & effort to recode? Same answer as before. I'm still holding out for rumors of a 2014 release before I give into temptation.

Anyway, everyone who signed those petitions said "hey man, I'll give you cash in advance. Just give us the damn game without making us pay a fortune for a system to play it on."

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
I thought the "news" here was fairly obvious. Nintendo is a business, not a political party reliant on simple written acceptance.
martyrdrebel27 said:
Nintendo should kick start certain games. As he said, an online petition doesn't equal sales, however if, in the case of say... Earthbound (or Mother) if they were to start a kick starter, it would essentially be a petition that you pay to sign, already purchasing the product, proving yur true interest in the sale.

I guess what I'm saying is, Nintendo, if you want to survive, you need to give us the Mother series, and release a new one. Although, I'd prefer if that waited until you Sega-out and makes games for other consoles. Earthbound on 360? SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!
Nintendo is too old-fashioned and steadfast to use crowdfunding, let alone bring its own products to other consoles. They won't "Sega-out", because their corner of the market is most likely enough to keep them up for a few years.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
Answer is simple: any game that doesn't look like a huge success becomes a digital downnload.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
...People didn't realize this? It's basic business, if they don't think the level of interest is high enough to turn a profit, they won't make a PC port/localize the game etc.

Even if there is a petition of 100 000 signatures, they will have sales expectations (probably factoring in petitions but many other elements as well). They will then compare that to the estimated costs of whatever it is they're doing. If the difference is not deemed profitable enough they won't proceed.

If it was deemed to be likely to be profitable, do you think they wouldn't do it just to piss you off? That just does not make any sense whatsoever. Companies exist to make money people.

I hate to take the corporations side here, but this time they're actually talking sense.

Alcom1

Jun 19, 2013
Counterpoint: 100,000 signatures does not imply less than 100,000 sales.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well, so far your cold, hard strategies have led you to lose to Microsoft, buttmonkey of the year. Maybe you should rethink that.

ClockworkUniverse

Nov 15, 2012
Alcom1 said:
This is technically true, but only in the sense that a petition barely means anything at all, since the effort to sign a petition is essentially zero, while spending $60 to buy a game requires a substantial commitment.

It's kind of weird to me that people are complaining about this. Literally any game developer (hell, any business) will behave the same way. Before doing a thing, any business needs to ask "how much will this cost us, and will we then make enough on it to turn a profit?" Examples of businesses not doing this (or at the very least doing it wrong) include the latest Tomb Raider game, which sold more than double what could be reasonably expected, and flopped because they were expecting it to sell more than that.

Yes, Xenoblade ended up being a success in the US. But Nintendo didn't really have any way of knowing that with certainty before they released it and it was a success.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
MinionJoe said:
Submitting to a petition with 100,000 signatures may not result in 100,000 sales, but ignoring a petition with 100,000 signatures definitely results in 0 sales.
This is why they do a cost-benefit analysis. Believe it or not, producing a retail game in a new region costs money, even if the translation work has already been done as was the case with Xenoblade Chronicles. There's (minimal) cost in converting the game from PAL back to NTFS (or in applying the UK translation to the Japanese NTFS version), there's a minimum number of units they can manufacture in a single run, and they need to be sure that it will sell enough to pay for pressing the discs, as well as packing and shipping all of them. Even instruction booklets can get costy.

This is actually why Ace Attorney 5 only got a digital release; Capcom was able to completely forego any manufacturing costs. They still took some financial risk by investing in translating the game, but considerably less than a physical retail release.

That said, there's virtually no cost at all in releasing Virtual Console games, or in making US versions of JP games with next to no text. I guarantee a translated digital manual can be done for under $1000, and a high-quality scan of a physical manual (for games that already got US releases on the SNES/NES/Gameboy/etc) can be done for under $100 in man-hours and equipment. They have so much opportunity to get us to pay for things that cost them virtually nothing to produce, and they're totally squandering it.

P.S. Thanks

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
TheRealCJ said:
And this is why Nintendo continues to lose more and more its core fanbase on a daily basis.
Did you read the article? Your comment doesn't make sense. I'm not going to defend Nintendo's general actions as of late, because I don't really agree with many of them. That said, I definitely believe that if they made business decisions based on things that the internet wanted them to do, they wouldn't stay in business for more than a week.
Alcom1 said:
Completely true. 100,000 signatures could imply 10 or 10,000,000 sales. It requires so little effort or investment to sign a petition that it's almost impossible to judge anything.

From what I can tell, I would guess that Miiverse is actually the best "petition" for Nintendo. When they did the Earthbound VC announcement, they showed all the Miiverse posts of people asking for it. It requires some effort, and can only be done by actual potential customers. Not that you would want to make decisions based on that, but if someone puts effort into asking for something, you can probably count them as an actual sale.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
I wish reports of what big-wigs say would stop happening, because you simply can't trust what they say to be true. They can, and will, lie to improve their image. For all we know, in the background, Nintendo could actually be desperately clinging to what customers petition for.

Who freaking knows. One thing is for sure, I don't (and never will) give a rats bum what some big-wig says.

Especially if they make their career off of profiting from children... :/ but still!

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
And this is one of the reasons I generally don't sign petitions. While you might support what the petition is aiming to do, unless that petition has money tied to it large companies don't give a shit. For example, Needing to have a Google+ account to comment on YouTube; unless you can wave around a big fat check or just simply stop commenting Google isn't going to care how many people sign a petition.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Desert Punk said:
Well, now I can just laugh at N fanboys when they say that Nintendo actually cares about the fans. Nope, its all about the cold hard yen for them
They may not care about their customers, I don't know. But it's rather foolish to listen to fan petitions in the first place.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing. I mean, remember that petition a while back that said "No gta 5 for pc" that got like, a crapton of signatures or whatever? You'd all be up in arms f rockstar said "Well, 10,000 signatures don't lie, no pc port."
Basically what I'm saying is, I wouldn't put too much thought into these petitions either, I mean, when has taking the opinion of a thousand anonymous faces on the internet ever been the smart business practice?

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Fijiman said:
And this is one of the reasons I generally don't sign petitions. While you might support what the petition is aiming to do, unless that petition has money tied to it large companies don't give a shit. For example, Needing to have a Google+ account to comment on YouTube; unless you can wave around a big fat check or just simply stop commenting Google isn't going to care how many people sign a petition.
Eh, it's not like it takes you more than a minute so there's really no loss. Namco seems to be one of the few who does pay attention to them. Dark Souls on PC, Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World and Tales of Vesperia reaching Europe are some examples. However I wouldn't be surprised if those were the only 3 cases where a petition has actually had any effect at all...

You are right though, it seems pointless to sign them so there's really no reason to bother with them.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Aside from being the fact that Earthbound only got a VC release about a year ago (probably less than that), Nintendo.. seriously.

The point of the entertainment industry is to ENTERTAIN, to get MONEY. If you hired a stripper, and s/he didn't do what you wanted to do, you wouldn't pay them full, or you'd complain. And people wouldn't hire that stripper.

That was a horrible metaphor that has surely scarred someone's brain, but the point is, Nintendo are idiots.