Nintendo President: Mario Games Aren't Too Frequent

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
GiantRaven said:
In some sense I agree, the core Mario games are in no way frequent or could be considered a yearly franchise. The amount of spin-off or side games they do though makes it seem that way though.
Exactly. Give it time and there will be a Pokemon/Mario cross over game.

Mar 30, 2010
Revnak said:
Then you argue rather strangely, because you never mentioned innovation once in the post I quoted. However, I do not think the New series is innovating at all, so I will stop arguing with you unless you fuck up and forget what you were trying to say again.
Sorry fella, it's been a long day at work and my head's frazzled.

More Fun To Compute said:
Grouchy Imp said:
It's kinda difficult for non Nintendo fans to separate out which games are produced by which devs though. Iwata and his team may indeed produce to a measured release period, but to the layman the market is constantly being flooded by the latest Mario title.
How hard can it be. Tens of millions of people turn out and buy the New Super Mario Bros games who don't buy any other Mario game except maybe Mario Kart. Are you saying that they are all super hardcore gamers who have a level of understanding of the games industry much higher than Jim Sterling and countless other headline writers and forum posters?
I'm not saying that at all...

I think the pair of you have made it abundantly clear that I'm not making any bloody sense, so I think I'm gonna stop digging this pit I'm in and quit when I'm only quite badly behind.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
JezWilkinson said:
m.

One new feature that New Super Mario Bros. 2 is bringing to the series is paid DLC. DLC is a familiar sight in many recent games on other consoles, but it's something that Nintendo has only recently considered. Although it's a new area for the company, Iwata wants fans who are fearful of the change to know that they will not be given a raw deal. "Our goal," he stated, "is to create DLC in such a way that consumers do not feel that they have been cheated or deceived." Indeed, Nintendo has adopted this idea as part of its company policy. "What we are not going to do is create a full game and then say, 'let's hold this back for DLC.' That's not our plan."
You know, if it was ANY other company saying this, this forum would be singing its praises.

But since it's Nintendo and it involves Mario, the thread has been nothing but "MILKING MIKING MILKING! KILL MARIO BECAUSE I DON'T LIKE IT ANYMORE! NINTENDO DOESN'T MAKE ANYTHING OTHER THAN MARIO AND ZELDA!"

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
I think Nintendo had to push the 3DS hard with software in order to make people buy that stupid thing. Their only choice was to use a franchise with an established market position and no other franchise but the Mario universe is known as well in both the core and the casual customer base. Thus, we got Super Mario 3D Land (Land 3D, 3LandD whatever), Mario Kart 7, Mario Tennis, Mario&Sonic 2012 port for the 3DS and NSMB2 in past few months.

That is probably the reason Mario feels this inflationary. Now, we still have Paper Mario 3DS and NSMB WiiU coming up but after that I honestly believe, we won't see or hear any Mario game for at least an entire year.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
This is a common complaint that I don't understand. "Mario is overused" well, yes he appears in an abundance but I don't think he is over used. He's a main franchise in the video game industry so he's more of a staple and less of and overused character. He's like the McDonalds or Burger King of video games, everywhere, bland, but in the end you're glad to see it again.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
God dammit Iwata. I don't care if YOU think mario games aren't too frequent. Everybody else with a brainstem believes it should be smothered to death by now. Only the die hard fans look forward to the next shitty mario title.

jecht35

Jul 2, 2011
Eh I really could care less about most mario franchises the only ones I ever played were the 3D ones and paper mario so in some way yeah they take a while to release the mario games I want.

Overusedname

Emcee: the videogame video guy
Jun 26, 2012
Boudica said:
Much like Sonic, Mario needs to be taken behind the shed and put down, to use a phrase that made me lol.
Woah woah woah. Mario's no where near that level of disappointment. The games actually have to be BAD for that to happen. They aren't poorly made, they just have far less new ideas than we're used to from the brand.

But yes there is less innovation from the franchise lately. Miyamoto himself is always at the creative helm of the big new Mario game (Mario bros, Mario World, Mario 64, sunshine, the galaxy games) but lately it seems like he's been focused on the Ocarina port and Pikmin 3. Hopefully he'll be back to the drawing board with some crazy new idea for the old guy.

It's been only 3 years since Galaxy 2, so I don't think he's gotten stagnant quite yet. But I do wanna see the 'next step' within the next 2 years.

I love me some plant-based druggie plumbers. But if you've played one New SB, you've kinda played 'em all.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
Hey, go easy on them. Nintendo is run by transdimensional beings from where they are still the gaming industry leader without competition, it's not their fault that are having so much trouble coming to grips with reality...

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Anyone else remember that old flash movie series "The Decline of Video Gaming"?

Anyone else think that those guys were too right for their own good? Like seriously they parodied a Mario game called "Mario Does the Laundry". I don't think we're too far from that seeing as how we have a Marble Slab Creamery game on the Wii...

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Robert Ewing said:
God dammit Iwata. I don't care if YOU think mario games aren't too frequent. Everybody else with a brainstem believes it should be smothered to death by now. Only the die hard fans look forward to the next shitty mario title.
I think he's speaking to investors. If he actually were speaking to gamers I'd hope to god he wouldn't be so stupid as to try and say that Mario games aren't too frequent.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Well, it's always new to somebody. :p

to me, if I'm having fun, it shouldn't really matter. i've already come to terms with that, now i rail against people who abuse games for reasons other than that.

from the other side of the story, i've read that the recent games have been developed by separate teams all learning how to develop mario games, so as far as we're concerned these are the results of all these teams learning how to realize their potential while the veterans step back and let them figure it out

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
As much as I love Mario, they are getting a bit too frequent. What is also making this worse is they are becoming a lot less unique. Most Mario games recently have just been sequels to games that did something unique for the series, but without adding anything really to keep them fresh and interesting. These different Mario series are also being released pretty much every other year right now. Even Super Mario 3D Land which was really good wasn't very unique. I do think there needs to be much more of a slow down on Mario products and more of a focus on capturing that unique experience again.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
No, they're not too frequent, they're just all the same. Play one Mario Kart and you've played them all (We're at 8 Mario Karts so far?). Play one Mario Party and you know what's coming (We're at #9 already, two already out for the Wii. Contradictions!). They might have released ONE New Super Mario game per console, but what about Mario Galaxy? And whatever else they're gonna come up with in the future? Cause the chances of them releasing just ONE Mario game for the WiiU, right at its launch, are pretty slim.

And even if they're not that many compared to CoD or whatever, they're just the same. That's the bottom line. So when you buy a Mario game and you find out that it plays and feels almost the same as the last Mario game, you can't help but feel you've already gone through that before just a couple of years ago.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
As a Nintendo fan (pulls out flame shield) Ithink I'm bothered by this even more than most gamers. The worst part is even the Mario games Nintendo does make seem to be repetitions of familiar ideas. Believe it or not there was hen each new Mario game tried to be inventive and unique. Mario is Nintendo's Batman.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Mario titles are kind of too frequent. What used ti distinguish Nintendo titles from say, COD, was that they were somewhat inspired and creative and different. And they seem to be unable to come up with new and differentiating ideas.

I'll probably pick up NSMB2, though, because I only played my ex's copy of the first and never got around to buying it.

DVS BSTrD said:
It may be a pipe dream for Ninetendo, but it would leave us in the U-bend.
At least we're not sunk.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Grouchy Imp said:
Mario games aren't too frequent are they?

<a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_featuring_Mario>Riiiiight...

I suddenly find myself in even more agreement with Jim Sterling's last vid.
So two games is too much in 2012? I see only two core Mario games on the list for this year, and only one for last. You can't count every game he just happens to appear in, since he is more Nintendo's logo now then their.. um, logo haha.

I don't think people realize that this is incredibly infrequent compared to the past. You heard of Mario 1, 2 and 3? ALL came out on the NES.

I would love to see the day that we get three+ core Mario games a console again. We did get Mario Galaxy 1, 2 and new super Mairo bros. wii all on the wii. That was pretty nice! Still one of the only reasons to have one of those white bricks.