Nintendo President: Strong Software Lineup Will Boost Wii Sales

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Nintendo President: Strong Software Lineup Will Boost Wii Sales

Nintendo [http://www.nintendo.com] President Satoru Iwata says the company will rely on a strong lineup of software in the second half of 2009 rather than price cuts to help the Wii regain its slowing sales momentum.

The unhealthy condition [http://www.wii.com]" in Japan.

In an interview with CNBC [http://www.cnbc.com/id/31084652/page/2/], however, Iwata dismissed the suggestion that a price cut might be the best way to address the slowdown. "Right now, we have no plans at all about a price cut," he said. "We are going to start launching the stronger software in the later half of the year - and we are confident [we will] regain the momentum."

"People often talk about the price cut as if it's an almighty weapon. The fact of the matter is that what a price cut can do is rather limited," he continued. "In the long history of video games, at the time of the price cut we see a momentary hike in sales, but usually that cannot sustain its momentum and it soon comes down to below the price cut level."

He also sounded unconcerned about the new motion-sensing controllers from Nintendo's E3 press conference [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92077-Liveblog-Microsofts-E3-Press-Conference], may not seem like a natural fit for American audiences, Iwata was upbeat about its potential.

"The U.S. market might be challenging, but everybody was skeptical of the sales potential [of Brain Age [http://www.brainage.com/]]," he said. "Even after the Japanese sale showed results, people in the U.S. were skeptical. [They thought,] 'It's just a Japan thing that can't be translated to the US market'."

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
HAH! I knew it....after a couple years of nothing big, Nintendo hit back hard.

New iterations of several core Nintendo games? Check.

Returns of some favorite classics? Check.

Teaming up with other big name companies for new takes on old franchises? Check.

Confidence without smack-talk? Check.

By the end of this console cycle, its going to be 3 DSs and 3 Wiis per household........

BlueTimberwolf

Oct 29, 2008
A strong lineup of software? What strong line up of software? There certainly isn't a strong lineup of software in the electronics store i work in.

People that i sell a wii console to come in, buy a wii console and a wii fit board and thats it. Trying to get them to buy extra software or even a extra controller is like pulling teeth. Wii console sales are good because buying a Wii console is the trendy thing to do. I doubt most people continue to use the damn thing after a month or so.

Towowo2

Feb 6, 2009
BlueTimberwolf said:
A strong lineup of software? What strong line up of software? There certainly isn't a strong lineup of software in the electronics store i work in.

People that i sell a wii console to come in, buy a wii console and a wii fit board and thats it. Trying to get them to buy extra software or even a extra controller is like pulling teeth. Wii console sales are good because buying a Wii console is the trendy thing to do. I doubt most people continue to use the damn thing after a month or so.
Really, Nothing in their press conference was interesting to you?

Fumbles

Apr 15, 2009
Really, Nothing in their press conference was interesting to you?[/quote]

What, you mean their utterly lack of ANYTHING NEW? I am getting tired of Nintendo shoving Zelda, Metroid, and Mario down my throat. No More Heroes 2 does look good, but other then that just the same old franchise bs that they do every freaking year.

Towowo2

Feb 6, 2009
Well I for one will be enjoying them. It's fine if you don't enjoy their franchises. Asking Nintendo to drop their most iconic characters? Not going to happen. Rather it'll be a very long time. Just because they milk their franchises doesn't mean they aren't good games.

Fumbles

Apr 15, 2009

Teaming up with other big name companies for new takes on old franchises? Check.

By the end of this console cycle, its going to be 3 DSs and 3 Wiis per household........[/quote]

This opposed to any other year? They do the same thing every year pretending to be ahead of everyone else while releasing nothing new. Where is their creativity, where is their originality? The fact is they don't care about us, they want their money.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Why fix what ain't broke? And each new entry in the series often does enough new to make it fresh and feel like the series at the same time, so no complaints there.

And 5 digitial cookies say that in 25 or so years, Nintendo will still be here, while Microsoft or Sony will either have given up their console gaming ventures completely, or have transformed them into something unreconizable.

You know why? Because Nintendo is the only one of three that hasn't forgotten what its doing -making toys for the entertainment of children and adults alike, and thus it creates fun, memorable brands and franchise that have will stands the test of time, are infinitely marketable outside of games, and are reconizable to people of all ages and locations. Nintendo will always have Mario - what Microsoft have? The Master Chief? And what about Sony? Blu-Ray Man perhaps?

You see, Nintendo succeeds in the face of its competition without the biggests and fanciest gadets;why? Because it sticks to who it is, and even though there is a lot of crap that companies try to shovel onto the system, you'll find more gold by Nintendo then by anyone else. And even if other developers fail, Nintendo will live on, because it does its own best games.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Towowo2 said:
Well I for one will be enjoying them. It's fine if you don't enjoy their franchises. Asking Nintendo to drop their most iconic characters? Not going to happen. Rather it'll be a very long time. Just because they milk their franchises doesn't mean they aren't good games.
It's hardly milking, but I won't go into that now.

I agree that a price cut wasn't the way to go. Price cuts are acts of desperation, and Nintendo are far from desperate at this point. If 2010 isn't their year, and they have no killer apps to release (which they do), they could just slash the price then, but there is no need to now.

Paragon Fury said:
Why fix what ain't broke? And each new entry in the series often does enough new to make it fresh and feel like the series at the same time, so no complaints there.

And 5 digitial cookies say that in 25 or so years, Nintendo will still be here, while Microsoft or Sony will either have given up their console gaming ventures completely, or have transformed them into something unreconizable.

You know why? Because Nintendo is the only one of three that hasn't forgotten what its doing -making toys for the entertainment of children and adults alike, and thus it creates fun, memorable brands and franchise that have will stands the test of time, are infinitely marketable outside of games, and are reconizable to people of all ages and locations. Nintendo will always have Mario - what Microsoft have? The Master Chief? And what about Sony? Blu-Ray Man perhaps?

You see, Nintendo succeeds in the face of its competition without the biggests and fanciest gadets;why? Because it sticks to who it is, and even though there is a lot of crap that companies try to shovel onto the system, you'll find more gold by Nintendo then by anyone else. And even if other developers fail, Nintendo will live on, because it does its own best games.
I agree and I see someone has been watching GameOverthinker (or have you not?).

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
BlueTimberwolf said:

They announced a ton of new software for the Wii at E3 this week.
I'm most excited about the Metroid being led by Team Ninja. I still want a black Wii, whatever happened to our color options?

Fumbles said:
This opposed to any other year? They do the same thing every year pretending to be ahead of everyone else while releasing nothing new. Where is their creativity, where is their originality? The fact is they don't care about us, they want their money.
Pretend to be ahead? Who are you kidding? They've been ahead. They are sticking to their strengths and I don't see a problem with that. It's no different than Microsoft with Halo and Sony with Ratchet and Clank, MGS, and God Of War. People just think Nintendo are milking their mascots because you've seen them in so many games. In reality, you'll usually get one or two (if you're lucky) Mario game (true Mario game, as in not Mario Party) per console. Nintendo has just been around longer, hence why it feels like they are milking their franchises.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
Tenmar said:
Also if you cannot find a single game to your liking in Nintendo's library by now(and I mean really looking not skimming over "top sellers") then I would question your taste in gaming. I would dare say you care more about the appearance of the game than the actual gameplay.

There has and been a wide variety of genre that has been created for the wii, the problem is the lack of marketing and consumer awareness. True you won't see those hard and gritty men like Solid Snake and Marcus Fenix but you still have powerful heroes that children can relate to along with their stories which have their own conflicts that isn't so easily solved as "kill them all".

The wii has been a good console and the majority of people that complain didn't give the system a chance because they care more about looking like an "adult" or "cool" when playing video games on their big screen televisions.
My feelings 100%

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Tenmar said:
Let's see it took how long to actually get a full on co-op multiplayer Super Mario Bros?

All I have to say it is about time.

Also if you cannot find a single game to your liking in Nintendo's library by now(and I mean really looking not skimming over "top sellers") then I would question your taste in gaming. I would dare say you care more about the appearance of the game than the actual gameplay.

There has and been a wide variety of genre that has been created for the wii, the problem is the lack of marketing and consumer awareness. True you won't see those hard and gritty men like Solid Snake and Marcus Fenix but you still have powerful heroes that children can relate to along with their stories which have their own conflicts that isn't so easily solved as "kill them all".

The wii has been a good console and the majority of people that complain didn't give the system a chance because they care more about looking like an "adult" or "cool" when playing video games on their big screen televisions.

EDIT:
Oh to all those who say "My wii collects dust"

Okay then you either have multiple consoles and your taste and backlog of video games(I'm still tempted to call the video game market oversaturated but have yet to) is taking up what time you have when playing video games or you just like to complain about the wii and the lack of games because you bought the console just so you can say you own the console because your urge to buy as a consumer is just that dominant.

The moment you stop acting the way American society has trained its people as a consumer the wealthier you will be and more aware as a consumer when it comes to making decisions when buying products in our capitalist society.

EDIT 2:

Oh interesting info apparently the new Super Mario Bros wii pushes the Wii to its max potential.

Link: http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/miyamoto-new-smb-wii-shows-hardware-limitations/?biz=1

Pretty interesting how a 2-d game does that.
Well said. But I just know a ____ fanboy would take the second edit and mention that platformer. And I'll laugh because that platformer can't be(nor is) as good as a Mario platformer.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Your name invokes deep-seated feelings of anger inside me, for having the name of something that is one of the fews that I hate Nintendo for doing.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Well, yeah, the Wii slowed down due to a lack of games so the obvious way to speed it up again is more games. Lowering the price wouldn't be sufficient, a lower price is not a substitute for more games.

BlueTimberwolf said:
He said they will release one later this year, obviously that means the games aren't in your store yet.

CoziestPigeon

Oct 6, 2008
Paragon Fury said:
HAH! I knew it....after a couple years of nothing big, Nintendo hit back hard.

By the end of this console cycle, its going to be 3 DSs and 3 Wiis per household........
Yeah, the vitality sensor is totally awesome!

Did you even watch E3 coverage? None of the shit nintendo OR sony talked about even comes CLOSE to project NATAL. With that around, who the fuck would want a Wii? I own one, and I haven't even had it plugged in for almost a year.

Fumbles

Apr 15, 2009
megapenguinx said:
Tenmar said:

My feelings 100%
I completely disagree, I actually have a Wii, which sits in my living room untouched. Nothing seems to interest me with it. I want to play games not waggle the fucking "wiimote" at my screen. Now true, There was Twilight Princess, and Metroid, No More Heroes, but the good compared to the shovelware is too far in between.

iJosh

Nov 21, 2007
I still don't think nintendo's line is going to do anything.

I seen them at E3 and all they had to introduce mainly was this little attachment to the controller and another Wii Sports, just placed on a resort. Which makes no sense.

Compared to microsoft. Which got a world record for something that I can't remember at the moment but it did have something to do with online users and subscribers.