Nintendo Says No To Same Sex Relationships For Tomodachi Miis

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Gay marriage isn't even legal in Japan. Why would you ask from a japanese company to make it legal in a game that was made for Japan in the first place?
Also why conveniently ignore the fact that the bug from 2013 allowed for male character to get pregnant?

I'm gay myself and I don't care that a quirky little game for kids doesn't have gay marriage. I have bigger issues than a Nintendo game not allowing my male virtual character to marry another male virtual character.

RatherDull said:
Worgen said:
I don't think this is out of malice or anything, Nintendo just has a long tradition of not wanting to be yelled at by religious nut jobs. They didn't like any religious iconography on games released on their systems, they had midway remove the blood from Mortal Kombat 1, and they wouldn't allow Binding of Issac to be released on the ds or 3ds.
When it comes to issues of LGBTQ, if you're not with us then you're part of the problem.

The biggest issue being faced is apathy or indifference to the issue and having it be ignored.
That's bullshit and nothing else.
People who attack everyone and anyone just because they aren't on your side are the biggest part of the problem because you make even more enemies than friends. Instead of staying neutral, they will even go to the opposite side because you tried to demonize them for not having a formed opinion. Who the fuck do you think you are to be allowed to keep attacking people?
Every argument has 3 sides, not 2.
Those who are for, those who are against and those who are neutral. As soon as you try forcing the neutral side on your side, you're making enemies. Because of your attacking of the neutral side, I who live in a second world country have more problems because people look at you and think "all faggots are like that, they deserve no rights". Why do they look at you as an example? Because you're usually the loudest.

MrMan999

Oct 25, 2011
You know, I think it needs to be said. Context. Is. Everything. I absolutely hate it when people jump into a controversy without hearing both sides or doing their research first. MiiQuality specifically said not to call for a boycott and what do people do, call for a boycott. Nintendo has stated that the whole thing was a game breaking glitch with the transfer systems, which would do the following, delete save data, physically damage the 3DS system, and cause male Miis to become pregnant. It had nothing to do with gay couples and the lack thereof. Would it be nice if Nintendo had added same sex mii couples? Yeah it would, but heres the thing, the game was already finished and shipped in Japan when it was patched. There was literally nothing Nintendo could do at the time. Have people learned nothing from the Cancel Colbert fiasco?

Vareoth

Mar 14, 2012
Not really that surprised considering Japan's legal position on the subject matter. Calls for a complete boycott are overblown in my opinion but everyone can do as they like.

Also, not having gay relationships in a game I'm never going going to play fills me with nothing but apathy. Now if this was about Persona 5 however...

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Well it is their game so they get to decide what they do with it.
Its up to the consumer to decide if they get a game, not what gets put into a game.

Dont like it, dont buy it.
Simple.

Vareoth

Mar 14, 2012
Meriatressia said:
That's fine. If it's for children and all ages, same sex relationships are not right or acceptable.
I think you've shown your cards a bit early there. Unless I misunderstood which can sometimes be the case.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Olas said:
If you're going to criticise Nintendo, criticise them for not choosing to make homosexual relationships a part of the game to begin with, not for fixing a technical issue.
I thought that was what I was trying to say, guess it's hard to read though with all that steam shooting out of your ears and blurring your vision.

But more or less I can at least read the tone of your posts, and fathom that some things are just better left alone.

And not a single fuck (well maybe one or two) was given that day. Not like I've got a vested interest in Nintendo's future.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
chozo_hybrid said:
Dragonbums said:
You want to know what's the funniest thing about this whole situation? It's shaping up to be EXACTLY like the chic-fil-a incident. I have already seen an overwhelming amount of comments of people saying they will buy this game because it didn't have gay marriage in it and it pissed of the LGBTQ+ crowd. Won't that be fucking ironic.
Mostly lurking this thread as I have trouble voicing my opinions in a way that makes sense to others. I just wanted to say, in regards to this post, that I hope people don't think Nintendo is endorsing what they're saying in regards to them (being the anti-LGBTQ people) buying it.
They shouldn't think so since Nintendo's official comment was that they never meant to endorse either side of the argument. They just wanted to port over the fucking game and get it over with. But since this whole thing has spiraled out of control due to misinformation and soapbox controversy it doesn't surprise me that people actually think as such.

HOWEVER the fact that LGBTQ+ extremists blew this out of proportion and claimed THEMSELVES that Nintendo is against LGBTQ+ relationships and marriage many people against their cause or people who just like to see them get pissed off are now going on about praising the game for not having this feature with a few of them saying they are now putting their money behind it.

Feb 28, 2008
Meriatressia said:
That's fine. If it's for children and all ages, same sex relationships are not right or acceptable.
Children should not be shown more than the basics till they are 14.
It's sounds like it's a fun game, lightweight. Not a bloody social commentary!
By feigning something approaching reality (i.e., relationships), then excluding a segment of said reality (that there are same-sex relationships) you are making a social commentary. You are saying that these relationships are not as genuine or deserving of attention as others.

No company is obligated to crowbar in things that don't belong. No one is obliged to pander to the fake activists and attention seekers. If they want to have only heterosexual relaitonships, then they have every right to do that!

They are throwing a hissyfit because nintendo ar'nt pandering to their every whim and demand.
And just as Nintendo has every right to do that, the consumer has every right to complain, and then not buy the product.

Apparently the nature of japan goes right over their heads. A country that does not allow same sex marriage is not going to include it in a childrens game. Were it should never be to begin with.
But the game includes opposite-sex relationships. Are you saying that same-sex ones are more 'adult'?

Seriously, THIS is what bothers them?! There are actual real problems that could be tackled, but no, they're whining about a game?!
That's fake activists for you. They don't care about the real cause or real problems, they just want attention.
This isn't a problem on the scale of people being murdered for being gay etc., but it is a major cultural product that invariably influences the opinion of many (including children as you keep saying), with the subtle suggestion being that there is no room for gay people or their relationships in our society.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Smilomaniac said:
The way you word same sex marriage being completely illegal sounds like it could lead to larger consequences than "just" a PR problem, or is that just me reading too much into it?
I think you might be over thinking it. Sorry if I made it sound more dramatic than what it really was. But yeah, gay marriage is illegal there and while nothing bad will happen to Nintendo necessarily considering how a little less than half of the population aren't even for gay marriage, I don't think Nintendo wants to be at odds with practically half of their home country. It could lead to financial woes AND bad PR.

As someone else stated elsewhere Nintendo is under no obligation to be your personal Social justice crusader.

Afterall, the majority of games involve a large amount of other illegal activities and while they're not encouraged in real life, it doesn't mean this game has to encourage same sex marriage as much as just show that it's an option.
But those illegal activities aren't crushed by very heavy political fire and deeply held traditions. This is like Nintendo endorsing things like abortion in games. They just aren't going to touch that stuff with a 10 foot pole. Even that being an option is enough to spark a fire they don't want to get in to. Of course they ALSO said to the Miiquality guys (the only reasonable people in this entire fiasco) that they would perhaps do this in later games. So maybe I'm making this out to be more than what it really is. Maybe they will make that an option for Westerners only. Who knows? Chances are none of this will happen because they won't port the next installment over here after this incident.

Laws like these are usually old and out of date with current times, so it's not unreasonable to imagine that it'll be brought up or considered soon in their government (when they have less disasters to deal with).
I'm just trying to get a better picture of what might actually happen if they decided to do it (besides the PR nightmare, which I respect).
We will never know until things actually happen, but for the current environment in Japan right now I can understand where Nintendo is coming from by being neutral as possible. This isn't America where you can be a fucking crusader on anything and be labeled a national hero. Shit doesn't work like that. Nintendo is already in boiling water for something they didn't anticipate to blow up this badly.

A company like Nintendo pushing the issue like this could go a long way to change things - That being said I don't expect them to perform such a gesture.
It can go a long way. The key word though is can. And you need to consider again that the Japanese home base not might be so forgiving on that. Nintendo never strikes me of making bold political statements like this in their games. If they are making statements it's usually through Easter Eggs. Like the Post-Op transwomen in Pokemon X and Y whom you can fight in the battle maison. Which already implies for the most part that the company itself doesn't have issues on it. They are just remaining silent at best- neutral at worst. Which according to some people in this thread automatically puts you in the "against us" category. Which is ridiculous.

It's an interesting debate though; They're in a position that could really make a difference, so whether or not that holds them, at least partially, responsible is a bit of a mindtwister.[/quote]

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
It seems like a lot of people here went to the Fox News School of Interpreting Events. A game-breaking bug that just so happens allows gay marriage being fixed isn't "NINTENDO TREATING GAYS LIKE BUGS! and a decision not to add a feature that would require a lot of coding into a port that Nintendo's making just to test the waters isn't Nintendo actively removing gay marriage just to spite the LGBT community.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
MinionJoe said:
Went and watched some gameplay videos of this yesterday. And a lot of people are using the "keep the gay away from kids" argument.

From what I saw, Tromaguchi isn't a game for kids. The FULL extent of the game is looking at a Mii, reading a list of their likes/dislikes, and giving them food to fill their stomach icon.

There's none of the learning aspects of children's games. Nor any entertainment features that would keep a child's attention.

Domowasabi is clearly a game for lonely adults who need a virtual relationship to fill a void in their lives. And while there could be gay gamers who have that need, none that I've known have been that pathetic.
Considering how wildly popular it is in Japan perhaps this speaks a lot about the country?

haha I kid I kid. (Please don't take this seriously anyone watching this thread.)

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
It's been 14 years since EA made a life simulation game and made it so characters could marry regardless of race, gender and even species. And no one minded at all. This was the sims.

And now, in 2014, Nintendo makes a "whimsical and quirky game" where love is restricted to the expectation of irrational ? Seems like a step backward to me.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
Vigormortis said:
Ultratwinkie said:
While I believe it's still within their right to make the game as they see fit, as is their want to avoid making social statements, I completely agree with you. There's no legitimate reason; beyond social stigmas; to not include these options.
I don't think they actually *can* avoid making social statements. If I understand the nature of the game not including the option is its own statement.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
MinionJoe said:
Dragonbums said:
Considering how wildly popular it is in Japan perhaps this speaks a lot about the country?

haha I kid I kid. (Please don't take this seriously anyone watching this thread.)
I just looked up some crime statistics and found that a person is 4 times more likely to be raped in the U.S. than in Japan. And suicide rates for ages under 34 are lower in Japan as well.

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Japan/United-States/Crime

So maybe the prevalence of sex games in Japan (and the U.S. market's aversion to them) does speak a lot about both countries.

There's definitely a correlation. Would be pretty difficult to prove a cause-and-effect though.
Don't be so sure the rape figures are any good. Different data collection methods can lead to drastically different results on the question. Unless it was a deliberate side by side comparison the difference in figures could come down entirely to that.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
William Ossiss said:
I see what they're saying. They're a game company that wants to appeal to the broadest audience they could. Doesn't mean the deserve so much hate. Now-a-days if something has the ability to marry another character in a game, date a character in game, or what have you; the company gets reviled and called homophobic for not including same sex afore-mentioned things in game.

Look, I get it. We ALL want same sex marriage in the real world. I doubt the way to do that is to complain about it not being in a video game.

Perhaps, and I do hope you follow me here; Perhaps if we get it to be a real thing almost globally, the games and entertainment we all enjoy will follow suit. First we get it socially approved in the real world, then we get it in media. Simple.
InsanityRequiem said:
Even then, people don't seem to understand coding and game code. Because originally the "Same Sex" ability was a bug error that corrupted and killed game files in the original game. And so for the ability to have same sex marriage/couples/relationships in the game? Most likely a complete rewrite of the game's code. Seriously, how much work would that take? It could possibly take a year or two because of issues with bugs and such that that could be created.

This is a localization port that is hitting the lowest amount of money used because Nintendo has no idea how the game would even be received. Expecting something like an entire code rewrite within a year for a major part of a game is really, really ignorant of costs and time management.
These comments pretty much sum up my thoughts. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for same-sex marriage, and I hope I'll live to see it legalized in the US and other countries. At the same time, it doesn't make sense to recode an entire game for localization, as that would take a serious amount of time and money.