Nintendo Says No To Same Sex Relationships For Tomodachi Miis

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Silvershock said:
I know that Nintendo is allergic to patching their games,
What? Have you seen how fast Nintendo responds to and fixes major bugs found in their games upon release?

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Dragonbums said:
Silvershock said:
I know that Nintendo is allergic to patching their games,
What? Have you seen how fast Nintendo responds to and fixes major bugs found in their games upon release?
Claims about Nintendo don't have to be true, they just have to sound true.

see also: Nintendo hasn't made a single new IP in fifteen years.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Fair play to Nintendo, they've now said they will strive to be more inclusive in any potential sequels to Tomodachi Life.

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/c4FWbi-Uave2T9R1h7SFzX0aoa-d4pgx

A better statement than yesterday.

DaViller

Sep 3, 2013
Seems we are pretty close to a dragons crown situation again, surely entertaining.

This game would probably not have sold many copies anyway and it´s unfortunate that this "controversy" might hurt sales. On the other (less likely) hand the extra recognition through all the talking might increase sales. So heres hoping for the second possibility, it seems to be the most beneficial for everyone.

Edit: To the above guy, sadly noone will care about that. The internet rage machine usually doesn´t care about apologies.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Andy Shandy said:
Fair play to Nintendo, they've now said they will strive to be more inclusive in any potential sequels to Tomodachi Life.

That was what they said initially anyway. It just got drowned out by the boycott mobs.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Andy Shandy said:

Well, at least the Miiquality guys won their battle. That is what's important. Hopefully future games will include this and people can move past...what, the boycott mobs are ignoring it? What a surprise...

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Dragonbums said:
Andy Shandy said:

That was what they said initially anyway. It just got drowned out by the boycott mobs.
I would say yesterday's statement was more of a blanket "Your feedback is very important to us" statement.

Today's is more of an explicit statement of intent to fix their mistake in any future games.

xaszatm said:
Well, at least the Miiquality guys won their battle. That is what's important. Hopefully future games will include this and people can move past...what, the boycott mobs are ignoring it? What a surprise...
Agreed. Assuming that Nintendo sticks by their statement (which I have no reason to suspect they won't), then everybody wins.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Requia said:
I don't think they actually *can* avoid making social statements. If I understand the nature of the game not including the option is its own statement.
That was essentially my point. Their own policy of non-offense has put them in a catch-22 situation.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Andy Shandy said:

Exactly, THIS is what they should have said in the first place.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
McMarbles said:
Andy Shandy said:

Exactly, THIS is what they should have said in the first place.
They kinda did.
Paraphrasing. They said they didn't plan same sex relationships in the game and they can't add them now but they will keep listening for fan feedback.

The problem is that, as always, SJW completely ignored everything and just used parts of what Nintendo said, even lies to spread their agenda.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Andy Shandy said:
I would say yesterday's statement was more of a blanket "Your feedback is very important to us" statement.
Which shouldn't of been necessary to begin with. But I supposed unless you make it stupid proof and spell it out in big bold black letters people won't fucking get it or jump up on the opportunity to make wild baseless assumptions about a political position the company had no intention of making.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
xaszatm said:
Andy Shandy said:

There was never a battle between Miiquality and Nintendo. Never. It was a reasonable request with a reasonable answer from Nintendo. Everyone else made it out to be a bigger deal than what it really was.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Good on Nintendo for standing up to what's right, if you let that go just think of the sort of things that could be next! I mean before long will you be able to romance and marry your Mabari war hound in Dragon Age?

That broad chest, those powerful & sleek rippling muscles, the smooth skin... won't somebody please think of the children!

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
I think that's fair enough. Nintendo is the developer and if they don't want same-sex relationships in their game then that is their decision.
Homosexuals (or those who wanted to play a homosexual fantasy) are free to not buy the game.

Scott Rothman

Feb 2, 2012
Kumagawa Misogi said:
I'm more interested if Movie extreme liberal Nintendo fan Bob will bring this up?

Since anything anti-homosexual usually gets attacked by him on one of his blog's but now it's Nintendo I expect him to stay silent while advocating boycotting/blacklisting every other company that ever says/does anything that could be considered prejudiced against homosexuals.
Yeah, we should just stay silent and let companies openly discriminate based on whatever they deem appropriate. Oh, wait, didn't we try that once?

Duskflamer

Nov 8, 2009
Requia said:
I don't think they actually *can* avoid making social statements. If I understand the nature of the game not including the option is its own statement.
They could by not including marriage in the game at all.

MrMan999

Oct 25, 2011
Andy Shandy said:

Well, they responded with a well reasoned, well thought out statement that addresses the issue and shows that they are open to the option of Same Sex couples in future installments, if there is any. Which is exactly what the equally reasonable and well thought out Miiquality video wanted in the first place.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Aaron Sylvester said:
I think that's fair enough. Nintendo is the developer and if they don't want same-sex relationships in their game then that is their decision.
No news there, of course everybody is free to be as discriminatory as they want. Is it good though?

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
eh this deserves to be here, #Miiquality's statement

"#Miiquality has succeeded in its primary goal?to bring the issue to Nintendo?s attention in hopes that future iterations of Tomodachi Life will support same-sex relationships. Despite its relationship limitations, please consider purchasing Tomodachi Life to support the development of future, more inclusive Tomodachi titles, as Nintendo has promised. miiquality will continue to bring attention to Tomodachi Life and subsequent titles, and act as a hub for LGBTQIA Nintendo fans as well. We hope that the success of Miiquality will continue to influence the video game industry and raise awareness of other equality issues in video games and other media, and in general. Thank you all who have supported Miiquality and helped spread the word. Without your efforts, this movement couldn?t have been a success."

So ya good on This being a success despite mostly everyone getting the new story wrong lol. But good is good and hopefully enough people buy it to warrant more games, or at least see this as a big push for more games.