Nintendo Says No to Skyward Sword Southpaw Mode

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Nintendo Says No to [/I]Skyward Sword[/I] Southpaw Mode

Link is right-handed in Skyward Sword and he's staying that way.

Despite rumors to the contrary, Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BSC54I/ref=s9_simh_gw_p63_d13_g63_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=1662BE4M155DHBQ1QVYA&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470939031&pf_rd_i=507846] will not feature a left-handed mode, meaning that southpaw players are going to have to get used to sword fighting right-handed, not unlike in the Wii version of Twilight Princess.

There was confusion surrounding the existence of a left-handed mode in Skyward Sword, thanks in no small part to a video report [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBhQgTk_IN0&feature=player_embedded] by IGN, which said that it was an option players could pick when they started playing the game. This information was seemingly false, however, with Nintendo confirming the game's right-handedness to Kotaku's Stephen Totilo.

Traditionally, Link has been left-handed in most of his major adventures, and was originally supposed to be in Twilight Princess as well. However, Nintendo reversed it on the Wii so that Link's sword was in the same hand as the player was holding the Wii-mote. It's a shame that Nintendo didn't apply that same line of thinking for left-handed players in Skyward Sword, especially when you consider the controls are a lot more sensitive. Fortunately, the game is reportedly very playable for left-handed gamers, even if getting used to it does take a little while.

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword comes out for the Wii on November 20th.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5850671/the-new-zelda-wont-have-a-lefty-mode-after-all]

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
NINTENDO YOU BASTARDS! Link is left handed, and you shouldn't spurn that legacy simply because the majority of people are right handed! I mean what the hell?! Would it really be THAT difficult to make a lefty mode?! I was going to play this game while wearing my Link outift, and I want to cosplay him correctly, damnit!

/is still totally buying this game

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
SO odd that they don't wanna do the southpaw configuration.
What's the big deal?

Next you're going to tell me there is no inverted look. Blasphemy.

Edit: My point here is that I do not see the developers big deal about making a left hand control scheme

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Ruwrak said:
What's the big deal?
It does in principle mean that twice the amount of testing would be required.

Though if, as is stated in the article, it's still easy for left handed people to use it left-handed, why not make the left-handed option the only option?

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
My mates left handed and still played Twilight Princess fine with the wiimote in his left hand.

On a selfish note, I'm right handed, so just want the game to be released and as good as its predecessor.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
Lukeje said:
Ruwrak said:
What's the big deal?
It does in principle mean that twice the amount of testing would be required.

Though if, as is stated in the article, it's still easy for left handed people to use it left-handed, why not make the left-handed option the only option?
Hrm I should rephrase it.

Why NOT make a left handed control scheme?
(for myself it's obsolete, I just use the nunchuk with right because I have more finesse in my left hand (even though that -is- my offhand) while my right hand operates the buttons.

And it would require more testing? Yes, it would. But it's not like they have a lack of money or manpower to do so.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
This would be a big problem in terms of gameplay except for one thing: you can play with this in your left hand. The system won't be able to tell the difference.

In terms of the whole "oooh, but Link is always left-handed!" things: this is a pointless detail. It's not like it's a violation of his character because this Link was born right handed.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Dear Nintendo. Well screw your game too. Link will always be left handed to me.

And yes I defiantly bought the gamecube version of Twilight Princess.

Rofang

Mar 9, 2011
I'm mostly left-handed, but I'm too awkward with a right-handed thumbstick to wish for a left-handed sword. Nonetheless, I'm disappointed Nintendo made this decision. I guess the number of lefties who can't adjust will be relatively small, though.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Well, I can't say it really bothers me, because I got the message from Nintendo a long time ago that my money was no good to them. It's not limited to Skyward; nearly anything on the Wii that requires the chuck/waggle combination is horribly awkward for my left-handed clumsy self, to the point that the only thing I use my Wii for anymore is Rock Band. Well, that and Netflix.

Can't say I'm surprised, but not really angry; Nintendo pretty much killed any reason for me to care a long time ago.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
As a left handed person and Link fan... I won't be buying this, just like I didn't buy Twilight Princess on the Wii (got the GameCube version purely on the merit that Link was southpaw in that one), and won't buy any other Zelda game that has the indignity of having a right handed Link.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
If incorporating lefties is too hard for you, Nintendo, maybe you should stop making touchscreens and motion controls.

Jan 27, 2011
WHAT?! LINK IS NOT LEFT HANDED ANYMORE?!?!? HERESYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

Also, nintendo.....WHY YOU NO LOVE US LEFTIES?! >: (

....I'm probably just gonna keep playing this with my left hand anyway. It worked for Red Steel 2, it should work for this. I just hate how so few people take us lefties into account. I realize we're only about 10% of the population, but come on!

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I am not the least bit ambidextrous, yet I constantly switch between holding the Wiimote in my left or right hand depending on what game I'm playing and it has yet to cause me any problems. So I may not be left-handed, but I feel like I do have the right to say, from a purely practical stance, that I don't see the big deal.

As for the characterization argument, this is a different Link. A Link who happens to be right-handed.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Can you still hold the wiimote in your left hand? How would the wii know?
This seems so silly, the same thing could be done for right-handed players and then the canon would work.

poleboy

May 19, 2008
I don't see the problem. Every Link is a different incarnation (well, some have more than one game but generallly, since Zelda III for the SNES it's been a new Link for almost every new game). Just because most of them were left-handed, this one doesn't have to be. He's a different person.

Soak

Sep 21, 2010
Curses on whoever had this fucking idea.
Link has something of a "special value" to me and in my mind was always left-handed, making it one of the small things you like a character for. Now, i do get the logic of the option making him right-handed, if you play right-handed yourself, but why not include this REALY easy option for left-handed people as well?!
I'll buy the game, i think i'm "cursed" to play all the Zelda games, but fuck, Nintento, you repel me more and more

As always, after posting i read the posts above and i just want to stress the matter on this example
poleboy said:
I don't see the problem. Every Link is a different incarnation (well, some have more than one game but generallly, since Zelda III for the SNES it's been a new Link for almost every new game). Just because most of them were left-handed, this one doesn't have to be. He's a different person.
This is a point, however, it is an even better point to include BOTH options, not only improving the coordination, but also the identification with the character.