Nintendo Shares Tumble Following Wii U Reveal

cheese_wizington

Aug 16, 2009
I don't think Nintendo realizes that they are way behind on the times. No one wants one of these stupid things. I'll take my Xbox and PS3 any day, thanks.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
The.Bard said:
If you think this is ONLY poor poor Nintendo getting a fist to the face from the internet, you need to venture online more. The internet is a hateful place, my friend. Blacker than my shower drain after I roll around in pig vomit and petroleum all day long.
You are quite right, and usually I do spread out my comments on this and don't direct them at Nintendo alone. Seeing as the topic was Nintendo though, I got a bit of tunnel vision in my remark.

Though I will say certain companies, for whatever arbitrary reasons, get it way worse than others.

Some of my own comments might've been a bit passive-aggressive in themselves. My fault, and I apologize for letting the negativity of the internet get to me. There's only so long one can wade into the acid-pool without becoming a little tart I suppose, but no excuse.

NinjaTigerXIII

Apr 21, 2010
Nintendo already knocked my socks off, but until I hear more about the new Smash Bros I won't be buying anything Nintendo has to sell.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Jumwa said:
At the same time, it's a system that does help companies raise initial capital, and the alternative is likely giving banks greater control over businesses. I'm not sure that's a better solution. Perhaps employee stakes in the business? I wont presume to know the answer.
There is already a solution. Self-finance, re-invest profit in the company, and expand out of capital. It takes a long time, is hard work, and requires a sustainable business model from the getgo. There is also no potential to get rich overnight so the scammers and lazy people don't like that model.

There is another solution to our (US) current system. Remove limited liability from shareholders and executives, and make the liability proportional to the "ownership" level. That would require everyone involved to have skin in the game.

FFMaster

May 13, 2009
SteelStallion said:
It's understandable. No one's excited for it.
Its sod all to do with that, its because they didn't annouce a release date or price

All shareholders want is a return on there investment, they cannot see when they will get a return on there investment so they bailed out.

Theres that and the fact that the whole the stock market is as unpredictable as a basket of chickens.

Looking at the share price (i think i'm looking at the right one, looking for nintendo show multiple companies so not sure if it was nintendo of america the OP was talking about) it had been steadily climbing up to the date of e3 so its likely a few short term investors were there to make a quick buck if it rocketed.

But yes again a drop in stock price, no matter what you hope it does not mean the end of nintendo (i notice the fact that sony's stock price has had a bit of a drop since june the 6th hasn't been mentioned, and MS's for that matter, but hey) because as in all cases the stock market is a crapshoot at the best of times!

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
For fuck sake, a gimmick is a novelty with no real-world value or application! Are you so blind that you've completely missed what the DS brought to gaming?!? Touchscreens stopped being a gimmick the minute the iPhone became the most popular gaming system in the world! There have been more DS's and more iPhones sold than 360s and Ps3s combined. From where I'm sitting, that makes touchscreens the gaming norm now, and standard controllers are the gimmicks!

Seriously, the whole "touchscreens are a novelty" argument was out of date five years ago! The fact that Nintendo included traditional buttons as well to try and please luddites like you, and yet people are still bitching, shows just how spoiled and ungrateful gamers by and large have become.
I have no beef with touch screens. Hell I own a DS. What I do have beef with is slapping a couple analog sticks and buttons on an iPad an claiming that it's somehow a traditional controller. Hell you might as well slap them on an Audi and claim it's a traditional controller that you can drive. What's the point of this thing? I can promise ya nobody was sitting around and thinking "Yeah this game is good but dammit all if it wouldn't be better if I were playing with a controller the size of an iPad".

The fact they spent the majority of the announcement showing stupid shit you could do with this abomination just proves what I'm saying. I've never threw any of my "traditional" controllers on the floor and pretended to hit a golf ball off them. I've never played Othello on any of my "traditional" controllers. Most of the things they showed in that demo I've never done with a "traditional" controller. People have been playing games more or less the same way since the days of the Atari for a reason, it works. All the extraneous shit is just that, extraneous.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Seriously, the whole "touchscreens are a novelty" argument was out of date five years ago! The fact that Nintendo included traditional buttons as well to try and please luddites like you, and yet people are still bitching, shows just how spoiled and ungrateful gamers by and large have become.
Some game types work better with touchscreen, some work better with buttons. Having both doesn't hurt anything and opens up a ton of possibilities.

Can't we all get along?

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
rembrandtqeinstein said:
There is already a solution. Self-finance, re-invest profit in the company, and expand out of capital. It takes a long time, is hard work, and requires a sustainable business model from the getgo. There is also no potential to get rich overnight so the scammers and lazy people don't like that model.

There is another solution to our (US) current system. Remove limited liability from shareholders and executives, and make the liability proportional to the "ownership" level. That would require everyone involved to have skin in the game.
You're quite right, though I have a feeling it'd still result in many companies instead just turning to the banks as their new shareholder proxy. People mock homeowners for accepting bad mortgage rates, but the business world has proven it's not much wiser.

Removing limited liability and removing a corporations protections as an individual (with none of the responsibilities) would be something grand. I'd vote on the issue any day. Sadly, it doesn't seem to be on the agenda for our world today though with politics in Canada and the US taking a turn towards the corporatist.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Xanthious said:
I've seen a lot of traditional controllers and NONE of them have a 6 inch touch screen in them. The "potential to do lots of interesting things" is a nice way of saying "Shit load of gimmicks". Honestly, how hard is it to release a system that gets by on being a good system not on extraneous bullshit that people don't want.
For fuck sake, a gimmick is a novelty with no real-world value or application! Are you so blind that you've completely missed what the DS brought to gaming?!? Touchscreens stopped being a gimmick the minute the iPhone became the most popular gaming system in the world! There have been more DS's and more iPhones sold than 360s and Ps3s combined. From where I'm sitting, that makes touchscreens the gaming norm now, and standard controllers are the gimmicks!

Pretty much this ^^ (though with less anger)

Given the number of people what use their IPhone/IPad for games touchscreens offer more precision and faster response. I own a Wii and a fairly capable PC, the reason I have to Wii is for 1st party games and the different control scheme. I can play FPS's on my PC anyday and the technology in the WiiU surpasses what's already out there. If there's any chance of playing Gamecube games on the new console I'm pretty sure that with the launch titles it'll pass its predecessor in a few years so long as it's competitively cost and given the fact that motion technology has been out as long as it has then the manufacturing cost of that will have decreased and only making the processing and HD screen the cost factors.

otterhead

Feb 19, 2009
I think some of the more patient people will benefit here. I certainly think what a lot of you are calling a gimmick is actually a lot of (unexplained or exampled) potential.

Anyone remember Pac Man Vs? That was a gimmicky muli-player experience (you had to plug GBAs into a Gamecube) before the Wii was even released. It was a lot of fun. The same could be done on the Wii U and more more.

I'm hoping for a strategy game, perhaps turn based. On the TV you'd view the overall map and each player would hold their screen/controller which they could use to input their next move. Perhaps in secret. Not knowing what the other players were doing or exactly when they were going to play their best moves/units would be exciting. It would be a bit like the 'fog of war' in the Command and Conquer series. Then at the end of the round the action would play out and we'd see who had been the most shrewd, that sort of thing.

The controller must have 100s of uses. What Nintendo do need to do though is re-release the Cube controller to buy new and go with it. That way we have something to use when we just wanna play a FPS.

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
Again I see a lot of piling on this announcement based on things that individuals do and do not like about their games and not really anything based on the facts.

First thing out of the way: published reports suggest the investor apprehension is based on the fact that they see social networking as The Next Big Thing in gaming - and with Facebook, iPad, and achievements for everything under the sun, who can blame them - and no announcement from Nintendo that they would compile a network comparable at least to PSN/Home, if not XBLA. Clearly the sell point this show was the new interface, but it was the complete lack of specifics about their online presence that has investors worried. But they still have a year and a half to lay out their plans for the console. People are treating this thing like it's shipping next week.

The longer Nintendorage goes on, the less I understand it. The complaints about the Wii were: no HD, and no controllers with stick things and button things. Well, here's the Wii with sticks and buttons and more processing power than either PS3 or 360 and it's still "meh, I'd rather have my 360" Why? It's not because of the graphics. It's not because of the buttons. If it's because of the "gimmicks" it should be noted that Microsoft and Sony have heard the cries of gamers everywhere that nobody wants gimmicky controls, and so they developed, released and marketed Kinect and Move, respectively.

In the end, I suspect that by investing in the graphics and the controls and the third party titles, they're doing you a favor; outselling their two major competitors by 56% and 72% probably aren't convincing them they've gone in the wrong direction with DS/Wii.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Xanthious said:
Yep, and people will already be playing or be able to play most of the big AAA titles on the Xbox 360s and PS3s they already own. Furthermore, even if the numbers and raw power is above what the 360 and PS3 are capable of I doubt it will be large enough to get people to justify upgrading just to play the same games they are already able to play.
____

And who under god's hot sun wanted this? It may have some interesting functionality but ultimately it just screams gimmick. They want to have "traditional controls" how about they throw a few analog sticks, a D-Pad and some buttons on a controller and leave well enough alone.
____

These will likely have already been out for the other systems for months already why would anyone who already owns a PS3 or Xbox give two shits that some old games are coming out for Nintendo's new system. Also, as I've said a few other times what kind of third part support is it going to be? Is it going to be like the PS3/Xbox has or will it be the kind like the Wii has (I urge to you check out Madden or Call of Duty on Wii to see what I mean) where it's technically the same game but it's been changed all to hell to make use of all the extraneous gimmicks.
_____

Sure is, but I doubt it will be impressive enough to get people to drop another 300-400 just to play the same games they are already playing on their current console.
_____

I've seen a lot of traditional controllers and NONE of them have a 6 inch touch screen in them. The "potential to do lots of interesting things" is a nice way of saying "Shit load of gimmicks". Honestly, how hard is it to release a system that gets by on being a good system not on extraneous bullshit that people don't want.
Well not EVERYONE owns a PS3 or 360, and those who do may very easily just get another system.

I own both a PS3 and a 360, that is supposedly hugely redundant as "why get a PS3 when most AAA games are on 360" and vica versa well pretty much:
-controls (both systems have different options, Wii U will have very different)
-exclusive games (Halo/Uncharted for 360/PS3 and Nintendo's Zelda/Mario/etc)
-Connectivity (PS3 for HDTV, 360 for monitor via VGA that has certain advantages over HDMI)

_____

People didn't want an iPhone till Apple made one. People didn't want a home games console till someone made one. People can't ask for something they didn't know was an option, the market is of consumers not engineers, most people didn't even know how possible this controller screen was. BTW, this is essentially a traditional controller but ADDS to them with a touch-screen and camera. It's not a zero sum game, it can add something without taking away.
Following the definition of the word gimmick (that you label so emphatically without explanation, I might as well remind you what it actually means) is:
"an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, especially one designed to attract attention or increase appeal."
So it may very well be a gimmick, but that doesn't mean it is without purpose or function. To imply the word gimmick does mean that is a bastardisation.
This is designed to increase appeal by appealing to our desire for a better interface.

_____

The developers have tried damn hard to make hardcore games on the Wii but always held back by the hardware. The graphics processing were just not good enough, the CPU too slow for complex environment/AI, and controls frankly unsuited. They tried damn hard with Black Ops on Wii but the Wii mote is just not good for aiming in an FPS game, the problem is the bounding box controlling turning. This is a fix for those problems. And it won't be so bad games being 12 months late if they release higher quality with extra features.
But to me, the system seller has always been the first-party games, and Nintendo can deliver on those at least as well as Microsoft.
_____

I think it's worth it, for HD Zelda, Mario and Metroid games, and what third parties can do with a dual-screen that is very darn interesting. Especially for those who haven't gotten a Wii yet but plan to get one, why not get this? It hasn't been confirmed but if Wii U renders Wii games in 720p (rather than 480p) then YESH I'll be buying one.

_____

The precedent for this is tablet gaming like on the iPad, people LIKE that form factor but many have commented how much it would benefit from a pair of true analogue stick and actual buttons. The Wii U controller and PS Vita are startlingly similar, except Wii U would use the screen mainly like the DS's lower screen for inventory, maps and so on. Consider these "back of napkin" ideas:
-CoD style radar on touch-screen not obscuring main screen
-"rear mirror" not just for driving games but any game where you worry about what sneaks up behind you
-First person/third person perspective combination. Lower screen shows body in relation to environment, great for games that switch from guns to melee combat in an instant.
-alternate-vision on handheld-screen such as thermal view. This is great as thermal view is often great for finding targets buy you so easily lose direction as all environment is grey.
-use touch screen for fine aim adjustment.

These aren't trivial and frivolous applications. We have already seen with the DS in principal how dual-screen can be so beneficial though it was so limited by the processing power on that platform.

But I can see why a lot are so mad. This new console has disrupted the hegemony. Soon there will be THREE HD consoles in the game, but at the same time everyone is very worried this will be a dreamcast and get left behind. Even though Microsoft announced in 2010 the 360 was only half way through its life cycle (so 2015 next gen) and Sony has always said PS3 was a 10 year commitment right through to 2016.

Most of all the idea that a game will be a bit better, but to get a game a bit better forking out $300 or $400 is too much disruption for some.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Being the cynical bastard that I am, I hope this means a somewhat cheap price for the Wii U. I love gaming, but I love gaming with a cheap price-tag a bit more.

silent_noir_67

May 31, 2011
this doesn't really surprise me at all. Nintendo switched to the casual audience with Wii, and is now trying to jump back into the mature gamer market with its launch titles and hardware improvements...but they've decided to keep the name Wii...why? I know whenever I think of the name Wii I automatically think about bad graphics, motion controls and games that aren't really all that fun unless you have more than 5 people in the same room. Nintendo is going to try and sell ninja gaiden and arkham city on a console whose name and appearance still is trying to appeal to the casual family gaming demographic that Nintendo won over with the Wii...

it'll be interesting to see what happens with this.

scyther250

Jun 7, 2010
It looks like I'll have to get one eventually for Smash Bros, but I don't really expect much else from it.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Whelp, I can't say that I'm surprised. This is kind of a silly thing, and coming out of Nintendo that's really SAYING something.

I really can't say that I want to play something on this. The controller looks downright painful to use and we've yet to see universal proof of the supposed "more powerful than the PS3 and XBox" thing.

All I can say is this: Sony had the Move, Nintendo has the Wii U. Now we just need Xbox to screw up and we'll have every major system with a useless peripheral that they jump on at every turn.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
TheSchaef said:
published reports suggest the investor apprehension is based on the fact that they see social networking as The Next Big Thing in gaming - and with Facebook, iPad, and achievements for everything under the sun, who can blame them - and no announcement from Nintendo that they would compile a network comparable at least to PSN/Home, if not XBLA. Clearly the sell point this show was the new interface, but it was the complete lack of specifics about their online presence that has investors worried. But they still have a year and a half to lay out their plans for the console. People are treating this thing like it's shipping next week.
Have they not heard of the PSN hacks? How Sony was being hacked even as they were at E3?

This is NOT the time for a Japanese company with little online network experience to roll out a major network update.

And does it not occur to stockholders that simply doing the same as what the successful companies are doing but with less experience and later to the party is a poor business strategy? You'll always be the underdog then, never able to succeed as well as you could

All this social network obsession stinks of bubble. After LinkedIn's huge overvaluing, it's pretty clear that the stocks thing anything where people are logged in is an instant money spinner. For those who expected them to announce a monthly/annual fee like XBL... after PSN hacks... those SHOULD sell stock as they have invested in an industry that they know next to nothing about.

Wii U is EXACTLY what the market has been calling out for for years now but those bloody speculating shareholders seem to have such narrow attention, they clearly are far too obsessed by the power of Facebook and tangential links with gaming via farmville. They are piecing things together like amateurs and saying 1 + 1 = 11

Facebook is a success as a social network with tangential gaming elements.

360 is a success as a gaming platform with tangential social elements.

But they seem to think that makes them the same. But the social network is a monopoly that Facebook owns almost all of, the rest is made up of niche additions.

Maetrix

Amiable Curmudgen
Nov 12, 2010
I dunno - I hear a lot of nay-saying over this device but to me, it looks rather promising. My wife and I are already seeing the potential for it in our household and with what they've shown as concepts has me sold already.

Think about what they showed - it's the next step after "Four Swords." I'm sorry, but I can't jump on board so quickly yet to the ragin' against Nintendo.

Furthermore, look at the other major console developers - what did THEY release? Microsoft? "Uhm, look - the Kindle!" Sorry, that's last year; though kudos on making more content for it. Sony? "Uhm we updated the PSP." Anyone else...?

Think about it, Nintendo has something here no one else thought of and they're making it all integrate together. Sorry, but I find that amazing!