Nintendo Shares Tumble Following Wii U Reveal

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
The.Bard said:
Apologize? You don't need to apologize. Certainly not to me, anyway. I get frustrated reading things on the internet all the time. I stopped reading most articles about Bioware because of the insane amounts of bile that come with it. I just pick and choose what I read. I don't read Shamus Young anymore, and outside of the Escapist, I don't touch comments.

It's made me a much less jaded person on the internet. See how happy I am?? DO YOU SEE?!?!! XD
I gave up posting to all but one forum--that of my (former) guild--to avoid the negativity of the internet for about six years.

So I know what you mean. Now put away the projector and get me out of this wheelchair! D:

Aerograt

Jan 7, 2011
Nintendo, just rename the freaking thing. I guarantee the stock drop has something to do with the ridiculous name.

silent_noir_67

May 31, 2011
another reason the stock might have fallen is because Nintendo admitted to using Xbox and PS3 footage in the Wii U presentation? :p

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
I'd like to point out that this doesn't mean much in terms of anything. Until they make money from this product, casual investors are going to be worried, and with everyone jumpy with finances at the moment, it's hardly surprising that attempting to replace something so valuable with another gamble is scaring off people. Not that it matters.

Also consider how far Sony shares have dropped recently. Well, they weren't high to begin with, not for a company like Sony. Face it people, investors don't want to sink their money in consoles, a potentially dying breed. Not that it actually matters.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
ThatFanBoyGuy said:
All I'm going to say is this...

In 2006, Nintendo showed off the Wii with motion controls
All the XBox and PS fanboys pointed and laughed in ridicule
In 2009 & 2010, Microsoft introduced Kinect for the XBox360 and Sony introduced Move for the PlayStation 3

In 2011, Nintendo showed off the Wii U with a touch screen controller.
All the XBox and PS fanboys pointed and laughed in ridicule
So I predict in 1-2 years that Sony will announce the PS Vita can be used as a controller on the PS3 and Microsoft will produce a touch screen attachment for the XBox360 controller
I should also add that, while not necessarily as ridiculed, we also have Nintendo to thank for:
D-Pad
Shoulder buttons
Analog thumbstick
Controller rumble (how gimmicky!)
Console-handheld connectivity (even with the Gamecube and GBA some games allowed for playing on the big screen and having the little GBA screen devoted to menus/inventory/etc.)

What's sad is that the Wii wasn't even used to its potential. Remember Johnny Lee's AMAZING head-tracking demo all those years ago? Where the hell are all our virtual reality games!? Such an incredible WASTED opportunity...

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
SteelStallion said:
It's understandable. No one's excited for it.
This. Nintendo reveals successor to the Wii... It's a portable device. Capable of playing games at better graphics than the Wii. You know, the 3DS... I mean DS... I mean WiiU.

Seriously. They have three hand held devices now. That cannot support each other's games. This is dumb.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
SteelStallion said:
It's understandable. No one's excited for it.

With the move from the Gamecube to the Wii, Nintendo tapped into a vast previously dormant market, the casual gamer. They appealed to millions upon millions of family gamers who enjoyed the easy going motion controls that did way with the complicated controllers and keyboards and introduced a variety of family friendly games.

What they're trying to do with the Wii U makes absolutely no fucking sense. Instead of trying to further enrich their core casual gamer audience, they're trying to grab the attention of hardcore gamers.

It's not going to work. We're already invested in our Xbox 360s and PS3s and PCs. The Wii U, from what we've seen, is basically the processing power of a current gen console with a touch screen built into its controller. It's a silly gimmick that tries to appeal to hardcore gamers instead of casual gamers.

A fatal, fatal mistake by Nintendo. They're trying to tread on ground they're already defeated on instead of going after the casual market which they've dominated for so long.

Whether or not it pays off, we'll see.
Hardcore gamers were at one point the core audience of Nintendo. They're trying to bring that back.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
This just seems like a great time to buy up Nintendo shares. I'll seriously try to get my hands on as many as possible.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Maybe I'm the only one here, but I sense a kind of quiet desperation from Nintendo. They seem to be pushing just a wee bit too hard. I think the lack of third-party and non-Nintendo fan gaming has hurt it. Maybe they're finally realizing that a handful of aging IPs is not holding them as well as possible.

I love my Zelda, Mario, Metroid as much as the next guy, but the Wii was rubish for anything but, so I only had about ten games and I thought I was being riskier and more generous with my income than I should be at ten.

I mean I very well could be wrong, but if the WiiU, and 3DS do go under, for some weird reason. Nintendo's done making hardware. It's the Sega Syndrome.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
I gather from the responses on this story that it is far too easy to troll Nintendo fan boys.

OT: Cool, I guess. People get upset about gimmicks but I don't really see the big deal with it. If a "gimmick" is well done then it's good for the industry (like the Wii) and it it sucks, well, the consumers just shoot it down like they did the Virtual Boy. I mostly game on the PC now, so whatever happens, I won't be affected that much. Still, if it's cool, I might just get me one.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Here's Nintendo not caring what you think investors as it sells million so units and swims in money! Seriously though, if they can sell this thing like hot-cakes again it doesn't matter what happens to the stock at announcement.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Not supirsed since touch screen tech is last decade while motion is still neat, nin better dump the IR sensors in the wii mote and make a better motion controller for the WII U or thier will be hell to pay.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
There's one thing we're overlooking. So much stock trading is done by computers now, that a blip in someone's TV during the presentation could cause the bots to start dumping stock.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Geez, I didn't think the presentation of the new console was THAT bad! D:

Wolfenbarg

Terrible Person
Oct 18, 2010
If I was an investor I would be selling shares too. We're between console generations and still at a point where people are heavily invested in whatever system they're holding (unless the Wii is their prime system, I suppose), and we're already being shown a shiny new toy. Even if the thing looked like it was going to duplicate the success of the Wii, I would be pulling out just because of poor timing. Getting to the next generation first doesn't guarantee success. What guarantees success is getting there at a point when people are dying to give you their money, and we'll be content in this generation for a couple more years at least.