"Nintendo Should Have Their IP on Every Platform"

HavoK 09

Apr 1, 2010
and then why would people buy a nintendo console?

Thats their only trick on their sleeve: console going bad? Make new mario,zelda and metroid with new graphics and gimmicks!

Yes, there are a lot of other good games on the wii and wii u but most people were probably introduced to the console with a mario game than with monster hunter

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
Mr. Omega said:
I'm curious: Why is it Nintendo is the only one who "needs" to stop having exclusive first-party titles? This line of thinking never comes up with Sony or Microsoft. It's always Nintendo.
They're not the only ones that should do it. They're just one of the most prominent examples.

sirjeffofshort

Oct 2, 2012
Although it mirrors a lot of the sentiment already on here, I disagree. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something about this statement strikes me a pompous, but most of all it just seems baseless and without reason. I guess I just can't quite wrap my mind around why this would really matter to anyone let alone call for a public appeal to the company.

Personally it wouldn't bother me in any way if Nintendo did decide to go multiplatform, but to think they have any kind of obligation to do so is kinda silly. Their only obligation is to make a good product for their consumers, which they tend to do fairly well.

suntt123

Jun 3, 2013
While I can understand not wanting a whole generation of gamers to grow up without playing nintendo games, why is it always "nintendo should" and not MS or Sony? I'd kill for a Jak & Daxter or Halo on the Wii U

MS and Sony's games would work just fine on Wii U.... Hell, they'd work just fine on each other's consoles...
_>

On a side note; would current gen controllers work with the next one? I think I read somewhere they won't but I don't see why not...
I mean, I can understand not being BC with games to cut costs (though I would've definitely appreciated it, at least until the next gen libraries can be built up a bit) but the PS4 & XB1 controllers have had very little changes(and even then not by that much) while Wii U has a completely different controller and still works with Wii motes (though I guess that's a necessity of being backwards compatible).

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
N really should open up to pc iOS android. Just release a nes to gamecube emulator app and sell games for .99 to 5.99. They have this entire backlog they don't do anything with why not make money and broaden your fanbase.

Everytime i fire up Super smash bros or mario cart on my pc and game in 1080 with whatever magic allows all the graphical enhancements I get annoyed that N doesn't do anything with their old catalog of game for PC/iOS/Android.

Bleidd Whitefalcon

Mar 8, 2012
suntt123 said:
While I can understand not wanting a whole generation of gamers to grow up without playing nintendo games, why is it always "nintendo should" and not MS or Sony? I'd kill for a Jak & Daxter or Halo on the Wii U

MS and Sony's games would work just fine on Wii U.... Hell, they'd work just fine on each other's consoles...
_>

On a side note; would current gen controllers work with the next one? I think I read somewhere they won't but I don't see why not...
I mean, I can understand not being BC with games to cut costs (though I would've definitely appreciated it, at least until the next gen libraries can be built up a bit) but the PS4 & XB1 controllers have had very little changes(and even then not by that much) while Wii U has a completely different controller and still works with Wii motes (though I guess that's a necessity of being backwards compatible).
PS3 and 360 controllers aren't compatible with the PS4 and Xbone unfortunately

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
This is gonna be a good year for Nintendo. Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Game & Wario, Sonic: Lost World, and probably a new 3D-platformy Mario (definitely in development, likely a late 2013 release)... Yeah, the Wii U won't fail, not with this library. Much like the 3DS, it won't really catch on until about a year after its release, once it's finally got enough big titles out, but it'll catch on with a vengeance.

P.S. Thanks

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
If they released the Pokémon games on PC I'd probably buy them. I don't feel like buying a new gameboy just for enslaving the 'mons. If I wasn't against piracy I could easily just emulate them and give absolutely none of my cash to Nintendo, which they probably wouldn't like.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Every time I read Nintendo's firm stance on cross-platform development, I sigh in disappointment. I, for one, would not buy their systems, even if their franchises make their needed moderate jumps.

The 3DS is too bulky for me to carry it around, even for Pokemon, but I'd love to have Pokemon on my iPhone since no other good game on the platform has its easy-to-play, fun-to-experiment-with formula. Every time I hear of a game coming out on the Wii U, I think about getting the system and remember the huge, necessary tablet controller with its short battery life. It's not like their games are really special now.

suntt123

Jun 3, 2013
Xman490 said:
Every time I read Nintendo's firm stance on cross-platform development, I sigh in disappointment. I, for one, would not buy their systems, even if their franchises make their needed moderate jumps.

The 3DS is too bulky for me to carry it around, even for Pokemon, but I'd love to have Pokemon on my iPhone since no other good game on the platform has its easy-to-play, fun-to-experiment-with formula. Every time I hear of a game coming out on the Wii U, I think about getting the system and remember the huge, necessary tablet controller with its short battery life. It's not like their games are really special now.
The 3DS is "too bulky"? I have one and it's no bigger than the original DS. If anything the thing is too damn small. It feels so tiny and delicate when I hold it in my hands. And the Wii U controller is optional... I wish they'd bundle the thing with pro controllers and sell the tablets as peripherals, instead but you can buy pro controllers separately. Besides off screen play is awesome. I can play monster hunter while my brother watches TV or plays COD or something.

OT:
And anyway, who wants to play a nintendo game on iOS, with no buttons... The PC maybe... But nintendo hardware has survived on 1st party software before and if they ever leave the hardware biz, I feel that the games industry would be a much more boring place.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Sleekit said:
Bleidd Whitefalcon said:
suntt123 said:
PS3 and 360 controllers aren't compatible with the PS4 and Xbone unfortunately
and yet there's no real reason for that as all the controllers are USB devices...except to get you to buy controllers ofc....and because the added a couple largely pointless extra buttons or something as a cockblock.
I believe they changed the wireless frequencies they operate on. All PS3 controllers operate wirelessly and aren't really designed to be USB'd too much when playing (the USB is more of a charging cable). Also the PS4 controller has a touchpad and acts as Move sensor and I think the One controller helps out the connect.

I'm surprised that people are surprised by this. PS2 controllers didn't work on a PS3 and Xbox controllers didn't work on a 360. Everyone is acting like they expected the controllers to work all of a sudden?

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
If Nintendo were to make Zelda games for PC, I'd buy them full-price, and I usually don't buy games for more than twenty bucks. As it is, I'll only get a Wii U if the next Zelda game looks AMAZING. I didn't buy Skyward Sword because of the graphics downgrade from Twilight Princess.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I'll pretty much echo the sentiment in this thread, if Nintendo is urged to release their exclusives let's see the others do the same if it's such a big deal. I really don't mind console exclusives to begin with.

I understand the position that consoles should stand on their own merits, however the big three have their own studios that are meant to create exclusive content to make the system look superior and draw in consumers to their specific consoles, and especially in Nintendo's case, their software is made to be complemented by their hardware.

UberNoodle

Apr 6, 2010
Kinda like how most kids today have no idea what Fighting Fantasy is. I loved those books as a child, and I am excited about the movie being made of House of Hell, but Nintendo has managed to remain relevant today despite having a business model based largely on nostalgia.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Nintendo are about the only people who are going to be bothered making the most of Nintendo consoles. If there is a seamless, enriching way to use motion controls, it's not going to come from a multiplatform game. As far as my own wants, I'd see every exclusive become multiplatform. But as far as what's good for Nintendo, they're probably better off keeping their IPs close, especially if they want people to see the merits of whatever amusing technology the implement. I'm not saying they've done a good job of it in the past, but if a good job can be done, it'll be with first-party exclusives that don't have to also work on every other system.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
When can I play Halo on my DS (no really that was a thing at one point), oh man lets have Battle All Star X Smash Bros as well.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Doing this would be shooting itself in the foot. Going multiplatform would kill Nintendo's hardware business. All they really have right now are first-party titles and the meager number of exclusives they're able to cobble together from other companies. Without those, Nintendo systems would lose a lot of their appeal. Not to mention a lot of those games use Nintendo-specific hardware. You might be able to port Wii games to PS3's move, but right now there isn't really anything for games that heavily use the Wii U's gamepad or the DS's dual-screens/touch-screen. At least not without altering the game significantly or making it look like crap.

As for the people saying that this call should go out for other systems too, I disagree. The point doesn't seem to be getting rid of exclusives entirely. Nintendo caters more towards younger audiences. Mario games and the like are much more child-friendly than most other exclusives. The younger market seems to lack many real good games on other systems. That's a niche that Nintendo could come in and fill quite nicely if they basically wanted to go the way of Sega. I'm guessing that's why he mentioned younger people missing out. He wasn't talking about the 20-somethings and onward. He was talking about the ten-year-olds who get the 360 or PS3 if I'm not mistaken. That's not a market that's helped much by Halo or Metal Gear Solid (at least in theory since those are M-rated games).

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
After seeing the review of The Last of Us, I'm not too keen on ANY platform having exclusives.
I know what you mean. I would love to see The Last of Us come to Steam but sadly I doubt it will.

On Topic: I understand what he is saying but at the same time if he is going to tell Nintendo they need to release their games multiplatform than both Microsoft and Sony also need to release all their games multiplatform too.