Nintendo, Team Ninja Collaborate on Metroid: Other M

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Nintendo, Team Ninja Collaborate on Metroid: Other M

Nintendo has announced a new Metroid title for the Wii, co-developed with Team Ninja: Metroid: Other M.

You could almost hear the hardcore gamers in the audience at Nintendo's E3 press conference breath a collective sigh of relief as Reggie Fils-Aime announced another Mature title to add to the Wii's line-up: Metroid: Other M. Co-developed by Nintendo and Team Ninja (of Ninja Gaiden fame) under the moniker "Project M," the game appears to feature a slightly darker, more violent tone than previous Metroid outings, along with a new third-person perspective. The game's release date remains unannounced.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Third person?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I realise it's dumb to judge a game that no-one has seen based purely on a camera perspective, but the first person nature of Prime was one of my favourite things about it, it was a first person adventure that worked.
Sad, sad day.

Edit# Watched the trailer, she spoke, which freaking idiot gave samus a voice? Ninja Gaiden clone incoming...

SecretTacoNinja

Jul 8, 2008
Garrig said:
I read this, and I swear, I shivered at the sheer possibilities.

Speed Booster's return is nigh

[edit] Oh yeah, First!
Rule number 1 of any website (especially here): No-one cares if you post first, at all. ;)

Hellz to the yeah, a new Metroid with blood and big Samus boobies. \o/

[small] I need a Wii, seriously...[/small]

[small]If anyone laughed at that, go die.[/small]

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Third person?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I realise it's dumb to judge a game that no-one has seen based purely on a camera perspective, but the first person nature of Prime was one of my favourite things about it, it was a first person adventure that worked.
Sad, sad day.
Well, this isn't a first person adventure game, by the looks of it. It's like a combat-heavy third-person action game, so yeah, it's a different camera for a different style.

I thought I caught glimpses of some first-person sequences though, so you never know.

neuromasser

Jan 20, 2009
Team Ninja? That sounds promising xD

SecretTacoNinja said:
[small] I need a Wii, seriously...[/small]

[small]If anyone laughed at that, go die.[/small]
But I don't want to :'(

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Also before you get in a tizzy over Team Ninja doing this, remember a bunch of the core Ninja Gaiden and DoA staff are working with Itagaki on his new game as a new team. So this is kinda like the husk of Team Ninja.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
PLEASE post the video ASAP. I don't care if the title sounds like some sort of JRPG, it's Metroid, and I want it, nao.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
ZeroMachine said:
PLEASE post the video ASAP. I don't care if the title sounds like some sort of JRPG, it's Metroid, and I want it, nao.
It looked insane, and it's an interesting addition to the series. Once the trailer is up i'll post to high hell.

Gamer137

Jun 7, 2008
Team Ninja? I don't want a Ninja Gaiden clone in my Metroid. What's next? Samus at the beach with the DOA girls? Yes, i'm skeptical. I prefered Retro Studios. Just give us some info ASAP Nintendo so I can calm down.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
*groan* Goodness Gracious, an M-Rated Metroid with Team Ninja working on it...

I see...

Samas + Zero Suit + Third Person + Massive Jiggle Physics...

This is not a good thing in my mind.

waggmd

Feb 12, 2009
Here is the trailer guys and gals. It looks great, and it still as some first person elements to. http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-metroid-other/50237#comments_top

LewsTherin

Jun 22, 2008
Hmmmmm...

I'm not sure what to think. What's with this "other M" tag? I dunno....probably still goning to check it out, however.

capnjack

Jan 6, 2009
Keane Ng said:
Well, this isn't a first person adventure game, by the looks of it. It's like a combat-heavy third-person action game, so yeah, it's a different camera for a different style.

I thought I caught glimpses of some first-person sequences though, so you never know.
My impression is that Other M is a hybrid between Metroid classic and Prime games, taking the best aspects of both. As you can see, there are parts like Samus' super-fast-run-through-walls-thing that are taken directly out of Super Metroid, whereas aiming brings you right to the first person perspective and likely a control scheme similar to that of the Prime games. Of course, I could be making a few leaps here - but it seems logical enough. After all, we're talking about the collaboration between two very talented developers here. Nintendo and Team Ninja teaming up is... unexpected and, in my opinion, legendary. Metroid Prime is difficult enough as is. Can you imagine what will happen when Team Ninja gets a hold on it?

gmer412

Feb 21, 2008
Hmm....why did they have to give her a voice? Also, I think this'll be set before Fusion, and I think Adam Malkovich(her CO that she references in fusion) is in it.