Nintendo Urges Wii Owners to Please, Please Upgrade

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Oh god this is sad.
"PLEASE! Please buy out stuff! Nobody's buying this and we put so much money into it! They'll be good games... sometime! Honest!"

TheSteeleStrap

May 7, 2008
Of course someone wants people to buy their shit. The console is new, but the games certainly aren't. Once tthey get that, I bet it will sell more.

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
Why would they upgrade? The game selection is sparse right now, the price will come down at a later date, and the controller itself offers little in the way of advancement.

But these aren't even the WiiU's biggest problem: the Wii sold far more consoles solely on the basis of motion controls, the promise of bowling on a video game like you do in real life (even though 1 to 1 motion hadn't been introduced yet). The Wii went far beyond the usual gamer demographics and appealed to casual crowd, a group of people you aren't up to date on latest releases and aren't as likely to buy games in the future. The WiiU will never tap into that crowd and as a result will have to try and woo gamers at the moment with a sub-par line up of titles. If they wanted their new console to standout more, they shouldn't have named it after their previous system.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
No Nintendo not this time. I bought your wii and I bought your 3ds before anything worthwhile came out on it but i won't be repeating that mistake again.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
shadowmagus said:
News Flash Nintendo. The type of people who bought the Wii aren't generally the type of people to require buy continual hardware upgrades. Never mind the fact that the platform lacks titles, grandma and aunt susan don't see the need to buy the new hardware because "I just bought this one a few years ago."

You reaped the benefits of tapping that crowd before, now you deal with the problem that they don't have the need or particular WANT to upgrade.
The problem they have is that they didn't figure this out BEFORE they made a new console, and so now have to double down on it.

Atmos Duality said:
Sorry, this plea came across to me like:

Nintendo: "Why? Why have you sheep forsaken me? I gave you the Wii and you ate it up! Why won't you just buy the damn WiiU already?!"

You can't force fads to work, Nintendo. The Wii was a fad, the WiiU is not.
I remember the days when people argued the Wii wasn't a fad. I think this really serves as the nail in the coffin.

I'm not entirely sure what Nintendo expected, honestly. This was a pretty expensive deal for them to gamble on, so it just baffles me. Even some of their dumber moves have been fairly cost-effective.

Winterfel

Feb 9, 2011
Well I'm just gonna speak my mind when it comes to the Wii U, here goes:
"OMG, it's Monster Hunter, I love it! It's so much fun! You can run around and gather things, you can mine things, you can kill things and then you carve them up and then you use those things to make new weapons and new armor and then you go fight BIGGER THINGS!" -ProJared

I'm sorry that I can't be more insightful or original. :/

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
See, I would by it if I was given an actual reason to buy it since it doesn't appeal to me at all thus far.

Also, I find this just a little sad now, and a little alarming that Nintendo is doing this.

Sensei Le Roof

Jul 2, 2008
Okay. Hands up, those who on first hearing the name "Wii U", immediately thought of Kung Pow.

I ain't touching the thing. I didn't bother with the first one. Yes, I'm perhaps the stereotypical gamer, but let me push my buttons and be happy. Jumping around like an excitable spider doesn't appeal to me.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Nintendo, why don't you get some commercials up for the WiiU? I mean in the past 3 months I've only seen 1 tv ad for the thing and it was primarily for ZombiU. Seriously, anyone still playing the Wii will know about the WiiU by now, and anyone that isn't will only find out if you buy some primetime commercial slots to fill them in on the differences.

Also, try and convince them that the console is for 'everyone', you have a real opportunity to become a proper leader this gen if the xbox always online rumours are true.

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
Jesus Fuck, Nintendo. I'd be completely willing to buy a WiiU if you made some God damned games for it.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Sensei Le Roof said:
Okay. Hands up, those who on first hearing the name "Wii U", immediately thought of Kung Pow.

I ain't touching the thing. I didn't bother with the first one. Yes, I'm perhaps the stereotypical gamer, but let me push my buttons and be happy. Jumping around like an excitable spider doesn't appeal to me.
I remember making that joke, and I will forever think of Kung Pow when someone mentions the WiiU.

Always. :D

Trueflame

Apr 16, 2013
Lately nearly everything Nintendo has said just sounds so whiny and pathetic. Am I the only one getting that impression? This time they're right though, the Wii U is certainly not an upgrade, the word upgrade would imply that it was an improvement on something. For all the disinterest and dislike I have for the Wii, at least the thing has games for it.