Nintendo Urges Wii Owners to Please, Please Upgrade

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
Is Nintendo gonna pay for me to upgrade? Because I'm fuckin' broke. So if not, they're just gonna have to wait until I'm at a point where it seems like a semi-wise investment. Also until I can afford one.

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
I find it most funny that Nintendo has to clarify that the Wii U is an entirely new console.
"D-Didn't you guys hear? New console! ...Anyone?"

Sorry, Nintendo. The Wii hit the mainstream because motion control was a sweet new fad that everyone had to try for themselves. Everyone and their grandma (literally) could enjoy the Wii's basic offerings.

The Wii U isn't going to get that mainstream success, Nintendo. Your only hope is to appeal to core gamers, and right now you're not doing a good job of that. Offer more worthy games and sales will rise.

Tom Latham

Mar 17, 2011
I actually do intend on getting a Wii U at some point, probably when they finally finish Smash for it.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
It's the PS3 all over again.

Previous console was a ginormous success.
New console comes out with a name that makes it sound like an upgrade.
Not many new games.
Sluggish sales.
Actually ends up competing with it's own predecessor.

I hope Nintendo gets their act together soon is all I can say.

Andy Chalk said:
"Wii" is a silly name for a console, but nobody seemed to mind
What alternate dimension were you in? People went crazy when it was revealed that the "Revolution" would actually be called the "Wii". I remember there being online campaigns to try and make Nintendo change the name back. It was all very stupid and I'm glad Nintendo paid it no attention.

Andy Chalk said:
- certainly not the bazillions of people who lined up to buy the thing.
Are you saying people bought it because they liked the name? Somehow I doubt it was a very big factor.

Andy Chalk said:
"Wii U," on the other hand, tips into the realm of flat-out awfulness,
Why? Isn't sticking an extra letter onto the name of something is pretty standard practice? PSP, DSi, SNES, Microsoft just added a meaningless number to the name of their console. The WiiU may be uninspired, but what makes it "flat-out-aweful"?

Andy Chalk said:
Entitled "It's time to discover Wii U," it reads, "Wii U is the all-new home console from Nintendo. It's not just an upgrade - it's an entirely new system that will change the way you and your family experience games and entertainment."
Why did you call this article "Nintendo Urges Wii Owners to Please Please Upgrade" when the message is literally saying that the WiiU is not an upgrade. Also, you make it sound as if Nintendo is on their knees pleading with consumers when it really comes across as fairly standard marketing BS only made special through the delivery method. "Come try our exciting new product blah blah blah." The desperation must be buried somewhere deep between the lines.

Andy Chalk said:
There's nothing inherently wrong with console manufacturers pimping their new hardware but the Wii U has been out for six months, which as far as catching fire with consumers goes is very definitely pushing the envelope of "new."
Try to keep things in perspective, all the other consoles have been out for over six years. It may not be fresh out of the gate, but it's definitely still the new console on the block.

Andy Chalk said:
More worryingly for Nintendo in the big picture is the old political adage, "If you're explaining, you're losing." I think that applies rather aptly here, too.
And what exactly is Nintendo losing? They're still turning a profit last time I checked. They obviously would like to turn a bigger profit, but Nintendo isn't straddling the brink like some other developers I can think of.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
OlasDAlmighty said:
It's the PS3 all over again.

Previous console was a ginormous success.
New console comes out with a name that makes it sound like an upgrade.
Not many new games.
Sluggish sales.
Actually ends up competing with it's own predecessor.

I hope Nintendo gets their act together soon is all I can say.
They will, much to the chagrin of those people still sulking over the Wii's motion controls and Nintendo's choice of trying to expand their audience. This also happened with the 3DS. People bashed it left and right but when the heavy hitters arrived that fall then suddenly people shut their mouths. Nintendo will be fine.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
doggie015 said:
ellers07 said:
The article yesterday explained why there were so few launch games. Why would I buy a system that has yet to release some promising games? ...
Did you already forget about Lego City: Undercover? Or that enhanced edition of DX:HR that should also be going to the PC and other consoles (Minus second screen features).

Anyway; this reeks of desperation. I am seriously considering picking up a pre-owned Nintendo Wii (They are about $49 over in Australia now! Another $13 will get you Wii Sports. Several other preowned games are just $18) just because of that message
$49? I got my Wii for $8 at EB games, and it works a treat. I then grabbed a motion plus controller. It's the older model that can play gamecube games, which is why I got it. That's right, I got a Wii to play a few cheap gamecube games lol. It's collecting dust mostly....

itsmeyouidiot

Dec 22, 2008
Faith Meade said:
Console gaming is dying. So happy I have a gaming-quality laptop.
Console Gaming won't die until decent gaming computers start being sold for $350 or less.

My only computer that I own is a $400 laptop, and the most graphically intensive game on it that I can play is TF2, which was released in 2007 and was by no means technically impressive even when it first came out.

I'd rather spend $350 on a new console that can play new games than $500 dollars on a desktop computer, especially since a new computer can't do anything non-gaming related that my laptop can't.

Also, you can't play PC games on a couch in front of a TV. Major disadvantage there.

Jubbert

Apr 3, 2010
Holy shit, I can't believe the Wii U has been out for 6 months already. What noteworthy games for it have come out in that time? Other than ZombiU? Anything?

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
At least they can only beg - if it were an always online console, they could just turn it off altogether and run that message. Now that would be a real dick move.

But that's never going to happen, is it? No one would build that into a console, right?

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
A lot of people I've mentioned the Wii U to either think that the gamepad is the whole console, specifically wondering why Nintendo has 2 handhelds on the market, or that it's an add-on for the Wii (like the Sega 32X).

Faith Meade

Mar 21, 2013
itsmeyouidiot said:
Console Gaming won't die until decent gaming computers start being sold for $350 or less.

My only computer that I own is a $400 laptop, and the most graphically intensive game on it that I can play is TF2, which was released in 2007 and was by no means technically impressive even when it first came out.

I'd rather spend $350 on a new console that can play new games than $500 dollars on a desktop computer, especially since a new computer can't do anything non-gaming related that my laptop can't.

Also, you can't play PC games on a couch in front of a TV. Major disadvantage there.
Most people spend about $300 on their gaming console and about $400 on their laptop. I spent $550 on a gaming-quality laptop PC and saved $250 (as well as another spot under my TV). It also has HDMI out so I can play it on TV if I'm really missing that. As for playing on the couch, I do that all the time and WITHOUT tying up the TV. ^_^

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
So what, I imagine that if you buy one new at retail, you'd have to finish the update anyway?

kailus13 said:
Make a new Zelda, and make a new 3D Mario. That's what people really want. At current, the only game I might want is Lego City.
No. Make new fucking games that we can't already get on our old systems, and get 3rd party developers involved, then we might buy it.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
....A wii Message board? Hey Nintendo, don't you think it might be wise to actually advertise this thing instead? I still haven't seen a single wiiU commercial. The ones I have seen on youtube have not really illustrated the fact this is a new console, either. Just like before it even came out, regular joe schmo doesn't know a damn thing about it.

SH4DOWSL4Y3R

Jan 21, 2011
Now, since i haven't the patience to scan the thread right now to see if this point has already been made, forgive me if i'm repeating someone elses point here.

In my experience, about 50-70% of the people i know that own a wii to begin with are mainly either parents of young children, or people that just happened to have gotten a wii cause it was cheap and they aren't really into games of a serious nature. (i will admit, these two factors often collide)

Considering the general nature of these people, none of them are going to be leaping at the chance to spend $5-600 (Australian here)when they can just get plenty of cheap, silly games for themselves or their toddlers for the system they already have. especially given how prone small children can be to ruining expensive electronics and the like.

Well, that about sums up my thoughts. may be a bit incoherent and poorly worded, as i've had a few drinks over the span of dinner/late afternoon, and haven't the attention span to proofread right now, even with two measly paragraphs.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Isn't the title a bit misleading? Nintendo sent 1 fucking message on the Wii to inform people that the WiiU is out and that it's a new, better system.
That's neither begging nor spamming as many people (including the author) in this thread imply. It's called advertising. And it's a good move.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
Ok Nintendo here is the deal, when you put out more games for the thing & stuff a hard drive in the thing that has more memory than my cell phone, I'll think about getting one. Until then, I think i'll pass. I actually do love Nintendo, hell I have Mario & Luigi tattooed on my arm, but honestly the Wii U isn't worth it.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
BiH-Kira said:
Isn't the title a bit misleading? Nintendo sent 1 fucking message on the Wii to inform people that the WiiU is out and that it's a new, better system.
That's neither begging nor spamming as many people (including the author) in this thread imply. It's called advertising. And it's a good move.
But Nintendo is never, EVER allowed to look like they're in control or doing better than "gamers'" preconceived notions of them. You see, Nintendo CAN'T be doing well because they just can't...even when financials and profits say otherwise. Never said this line of thinking was logical.