Nintendo Wants 3DS and Wii U to Realize the "Impossible"

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Meh, I don't have faith in the Wii-U. Nintendo is just in that situation because the realization that they won't be able to hock a new system on the casual crowd just dawned on them. The casual crowd isn't going to suddenly say oh look a new Nintendo system we really need that asap, they don't function in the same mindset of the traditional gamer. Hence the whole slow start of the 3DS. I think the same thing is going to happen with the Wii-U, it's going to bomb really hard early, they price drop and appeal to the casual crowd and then the money will roll in.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Latest news also say that Nintedo will start online distribution for the 3DS and Wii U with first and third party titles.
...and yet they haven't yet told us that they will be including a hard drive to store all those games. You will have to buy your own and that leads us down the path of unsuccessful aftermarket accessories. If they are serious about digital distribution, they need to provide a hard drive with every WiiU.

In the same news, Iwata said that he knows that people like to give their games to their friends and it's part of the gaming culture, which means no restriction on used games.
This is good news but where digital distribution is concerned, Nintendo won't even let me share my downloaded games with myself on another Wii that I own and have registered at Club Nintendo. If they are serious about digital distribution, they need to let us share our digital titles between Nintendo hardware that we own and have registered under our Club Nintendo account. For example, I got a 3DS, I was able to TRANSFER my DSi game over to my 3DS. Not share them like I can with Sony product, I transfer them and the DSi is unauthorized to use them now. Right now, I can play Legend of Dragoon (which came out today on PSN) on both my PS3's and my PSP. Once Vita gets PS1 support, I could play it there too. All at the same time.

I am not bitching at Nintendo, rather showing them what they need to do.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I liked the words you used Iwata, but can you bring back quality games and products, and let me use the friggin' Gamecube controller?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I'm all for Nintendo stepping up. But as a Nintendo fanboy, even I have my doubts at this point. Part of me thinks they are just disconnected from gaming culture. It sounds stupid, but the thing that has kinda pushed me over the edge is how they lock people into their sometimes ridiculous control schemes. It makes me hate you. So, if you get third party support and are assholes about what I like to use to play games, we have a future a together. If not, well I love PC gaming, and that isn't going to change at all.

Captcha: Describe Goldman Sachs in any words. I'm gonna put money grubbers who should all die in a fire.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
FelixG said:
Hazy992 said:
If Nintendo make a full 3D Pokémon game for the Wii U with gym leaders and stuff, I will overlook everything they've done these last few years and love them forever.
You know, I have been saying for months now that they couldn't pay me to bother with the Wii U, but by god if they released that I may well drop my cash on one...

Particularly if you could travel between regions and collect your favorite pokemon from the different areas.
Pretty much yeah. That and maybe a new Starfox and F-Zero would make that an instant purchase :)

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Iwata hopes to earn back the core gamer love.
And hardware has absolutely NOTHING to do with that. You want the core gamers back? MAKE CORE GAMES. You do, but we need more then a few each console generation.

That thing that people are doing on cellphones and XBL/PSN are the closest thing to real video games your competition is making. You need to do what you did in the old days and make that, only bigger, better to make these products 'retail-price justified'.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Okay...well, the reason why I moved on from Nintendo was because of the games and hardware, as everyone else in the world did. The games are fun but they're not...as deep or as challenging as I'd want them to be. They are in some sort of level. Games like Skyward Sword and Metroid certainly have a certain degree of challenge and a great story. But...they're not Final Fantasy or Mass Effect of Skyrim.

What Nintendo failed to understand was that those of us who grew up with Nintendo ALSO grew old. We moved on to something more challenging and satisfying. Nintendo stayed behind and attempted to amuse our kids. They forgot kids get their games through their parents...who left Nintendo behind years ago.

Nintendo, gimme a simple controller, games of all sorts (Equal amounts of E, T and M rated games), and better graphics and then we'll talk.

Zouriz

Apr 28, 2011
3DS's middling success? Didn't it hit 17 million?

Nintendo probably will do the impossible. They are very good at that.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
It's simple. They make a game that isn't another Mario, Zelda or Pokemon. It's. that. simple.

And do something about that hair, Iwata!

Zouriz said:
3DS's middling success? Didn't it hit 17 million?

Nintendo probably will do the impossible. They are very good at that.
But nobody is buying games for it.

And the number of 3rd party games for it is shockingly low.

I know, I own one, and I'm not quite sure why. Though very expensive, I'm already eyeing up the Vita after owning a 3DS for less than a month.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Nintendo trying to go hardcore *snerk*

What leaving your old fans in dust baiting them and giving them one mario or a remake of a Zelda game once a year wasn't enough?

You walked with the "casual" you loved the soccer moms money. You didn't care at all about software quality and gave us Ninja Bread Man and allot of themed mini games compilations.

And now you want the old fans back?

You made your bed now you sleep in it!

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
It's hard for me, after spending years of my life glued to the NES, SNES, and '64, to say how much I dislike Nintendo. It's like every time Nintendo announces something, I snicker and mutter, "Pssh, Nintendo. They blow."

If you want my loyalty back, you've got a lot to prove.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Wont happen. Every one that buys Wiiu/3DS will wait for the 4 games worth buying on the system - Mario, Zelda, Pokemon and Metroid. There 3rd party games are shit. An Nintendo just survive on them 4 franchisees by churning out more games based on them like Mario Cart, Mario Sport aand giving supporting characters games. They need to add more games, new IP, eventually no matter how much people love Mario - if you dont give them something new then they will not buy your console. Especially in today's climate.

Thats the problem with the Wii, it sold a lot of hardware but people didnt buy that many games for it as there was nothing worth buying. It took till the end of its life before they released a Zelda game for it.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
SonOfVoorhees said:
Wont happen. Every one that buys Wiiu/3DS will wait for the 4 games worth buying on the system - Mario, Zelda, Pokemon and Metroid. There 3rd party games are shit. An Nintendo just survive on them 4 franchisees by churning out more games based on them like Mario Cart, Mario Sport aand giving supporting characters games. They need to add more games, new IP, eventually no matter how much people love Mario - if you dont give them something new then they will not buy your console. Especially in today's climate.

Thats the problem with the Wii, it sold a lot of hardware but people didnt buy that many games for it as there was nothing worth buying. It took till the end of its life before they released a Zelda game for it.
Correct. And the ps360 has the opposite problem; they've sold very few consoles (compared to the wii or even their market saturation from last gen) but those console owners buy quite a few games.

Really if Nintendo would just get those big third party games from Bethesda, Bioware, and all those others, they could really clean up. Of course the Wii isn't quite up to task. Hopefully they'll make the WiiU future-proof and will try and get those bit 3rd party games but I remain doubtful.

Then again one could argue that the wii has managed to remain as the one real console experience. The ps3 & 360 have both adopted all the most annoying parts of PC gaming but haven't added any of the benefits. At least with a wii game, you can just pop it in the machine and play without having to punch in codes, download patches, and wonder if you have enough drive space.

crimsonshrouds

Mar 23, 2009
Nintendo, Earthbound 3? or fuck off... Im really not a bitter nintendo fan from the gamecube n64 era.

Ive just realized as a consumer unlike the retake me3 fans, that if a company doesnt treat me like im a customer worth selling a decent product to then they don't get my money.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Satoru Iwata already has my love. Man helped make the entire Mother series. I'll love him forever for that. But, while I do love the Wii, I would definitely like to not see a two year stretch of nothing substantial released for the WiiU while they're busy broadening their audience. Divide and Conquer, guys. Retro Studios and HAL Laboratories don't need to be your only go-to developers. I loved the Galaxy titles as much as I loved DKCR and the Prime games, but a little more branching out wouldn't hurt. A new IP for the core group wouldn't go amiss, friends, even as much as we cry out for a new F-Zero, Arwing-based Starfox, or something similar.

Though, don't they still have the handheld core games in thrall? Did they ever really lose them?

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
BehattedWanderer said:
Satoru Iwata already has my love. Man helped make the entire Mother series. I'll love him forever for that. But, while I do love the Wii, I would definitely like to not see a two year stretch of nothing substantial released for the WiiU while they're busy broadening their audience. Divide and Conquer, guys. Retro Studios and HAL Laboratories don't need to be your only go-to developers. I loved the Galaxy titles as much as I loved DKCR and the Prime games, but a little more branching out wouldn't hurt. A new IP for the core group wouldn't go amiss, friends, even as much as we cry out for a new F-Zero, Arwing-based Starfox, or something similar.

Though, don't they still have the handheld core games in thrall? Did they ever really lose them?
Course, they need to be more careful about who they get, or else we end up with Other M again. It ain't all negative on Nintendo's end :p

Of course relationships are strained, but a lot is riding on reputation, and it doesn't help that those developers keep backing out at ridiculous points in the schedule causing self fulfilling failure. I feel like we need to hire a professional face slapper to take care of Capcom.