Nintendo Will "Never" Develop For Other Platforms, Says Iwata

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
On one hand I have zero doubt that Nintendo will survive as they have in the past. On the other hand, I find myself wondering if they aren't painting themselves into a corner here. With fewer and fewer companies providing 3rd party support to the Wii U, should the trend continue, Nintendo may end up being the proud manufacturer of a solid handheld, and a peripheral that plays Nintendo games on your television.

Luckily the peripheral is standalone so one can use it with either their playstation or xbox, but the price makes it hard to justify.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
xaszatm said:
WeepingAngels said:
So where are all the people calling for Uncharted 3D (LOL, the 3DS would choke) since the Vita is doing poorly too?
Well...it's not the 3DS but...
will be coming to phone markets everywhere...
At first I was laughing at your brilliant satire.

Then I went to Google and found out this was a thing... my God...

You kill off Studio Liverpool and give us this shit?

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
I can see why they would hold onto their Franchises because without them, why would anyone buy a Wii-U? Seriously, why?

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Aiddon said:
xaszatm said:
I'm sorry, how is Nintendo doing bad? Yeah, their console launch is horrible but THEY'RE STILL POSTING A PROFIT! They have $6 BILLION dollars in the bank! Not stock. Bank! Why are people screaming that this company is on its dying throes? If Nintendo is dying then Sony and Microsoft are bleached bones in the sand. Like, there is a lot wrong with the Wii U launch line up but can we please just stop with the nonsense!
Yeah, especially since MS didn't post a single profit from their gaming division until EXTREMELY recently (if even that) and Sony burnt all the money it made with the PS1 and 2 due to the PS3's manifold mistakes. It's amazing at how badly those two can screw up and yet THEY'RE giving an infinite number of continues.
Have you seen the Xbone hate? Or the Sony hate for that matter? People don't tell these companies to go multi-platform because they don't care about the games they make. I like the first party games they put out(well, at least Sony), but they hardly have large first party development teams making any long lasting brands worth making multi-platform. They might have great exclusives, but chances are, most of those exclusives that are great are not under the direct control of either major company. Nintendo, however, has most of the games on their console be first party games under their direct control. They have a vast collection of IP that other people would love to see, but don't see them as whole console movers, and Nintendo, as of late, has lacked a great amount of third party support to grant their main consoles(not portable, though I assume most people forget about those), and so most people don't care the shell out money for another console just for the Nintendo games, however great their library output may be.

If that seemed like a jumbled mess and a mouthful, that's because it was a lot to get out. All in all, I'm not saying Nintendo should do it, I'm just saying why people would think they should do it over Sony/Microsoft. They like Sony/Microsoft's consoles, but Nintendo really does have the best first party support out there, and so they wish that they could see those great games on the great consoles that they greatly love. In all greatness. They don't care about Sony/Microsoft first party games.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Roxor said:
Okay, so they don't want to put their games on other consoles. Fair enough. What about the PC? Any chance of a Nintendo counterpart to Steam to let you emulate all the old games for Nintendo's past systems?
They already have a virtual console that plays old games. Still, I'm very much in favor of this idea.

"If I was to take responsibility for the company for just the next one or two years, and if I was not concerned about the long-term future of Nintendo at all, it might make sense for us to provide our important franchises for other platforms, and then we might be able to gain some short-term profit."

"However, I'm really responsible for the long-term future of Nintendo as well, so I would never think about providing our precious resources for other platforms at all."
Oh man, what an amazing and honest answer. Saying "If I didn't give a shit about Nintendo's future, I'd consider it" takes balls.

Drauger

Dec 22, 2011
Well I have been hoping this to hapen since the N64 fiasco, yeah I know lots of people liked it but , I hated it I waited like a good fan boy for 2 years, bought it and regret about waiting 2 years for that piece of crap and ended buying a PSX, back to topic I really hope Nintendo went ahead and start developing for PS4( let's face it, Xbone is dead in Japan so there's no chance of that happening.) that way I wouldn't had to buy their st00pid consoles to play Zelda, Metroid, Nintendo ect.......

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Yeah, we knew that. Just please make something interesting happen on any of your consoles. The new pokemon looks a bit like that with the mega evolutions, do more risky stuff, let me have fun playing your games again.

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
Translation for you guys:
"Satoru Iwata explains why Nintendo will eventually collapse in on itself."
Seriously, as Yahtzee said, "This world is not Nintendo's world anymore."
They need too either adapt or fade away, and it looks like it'll be the latter.

Ken_J

Jun 4, 2009
The_Echo said:
Satoru Iwata said:
Nintendo is a company that has never stopped progressing
Progress, yes.

So... how many more times will Mario be fighting Bowser? Link fighting Ganon[dorf]? Samus fighting Ridley?
That is not the point of progress they talk about. Nintendo is not a company you go to for story. They have some good ones like MOTHER and Fire Emblem. But in terms of progress they lead the charge in terms of gameplay and technology.

Ken_J

Jun 4, 2009
MrHide-Patten said:
I can see why they would hold onto their Franchises because without them, why would anyone buy a Wii-U? Seriously, why?
It goes to that Progress comment in the main article. Nintendo has made MASSIVE strides in terms of gameplay and technology. But that progress leaves the other game developers somewhat dumbfounded. With the Wii-mote and Second DS screen developers outside of Nintendo had no Idea what the hell to do. With a standard touchscreen gamepad unlike the peripheral ones on the PS4 and XBOne the Wii U can have some truely unique titles once developers wrap there head around the technology.

Ken_J

Jun 4, 2009
Adon Cabre said:
WeepingAngels said:
Where did this nonsense start? Why do people expect Nintendo to make games for competing consoles? Is anyone suggesting that Microsoft put Halo on the PS3/4 or the Wii U?
Because Nintendo's 2 major exclusive franchises, and which come every few years, are the only ones that sell into the 10's of millions -- it's not enough, and its why they jumped ship with the Wii.

Microsoft and SONY have Third Party Support. Nintendo Wii U does not, at all. Just look at their sales figures for Assassin's Creed III and Call of Duty, which were marketed for the Wii U -- abysmal numbers. How they conceived a Wii U launch without a franchise title attached is beyond my understanding.
New Super Mario Bros U. I know it's smaller than say the big 3D Zelda or Mario but it is as Mario as Mario gets.

Also Nintendo really hits it home with Second Party titles rather that the untamable beast the is the Third Party. Rare (once upon a time), Retro, Gamefreak. those guys. And for some current events, Possible Atlus.

Link: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/07/rumour_nintendo_is_shaping_up_to_acquire_troubled_atlus

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
It's a reasonable strategy - if you could get Miyamoto games on another platform there would be no reason whatsoever to buy a Nintendo console. And that's been true since at least N64.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Ken_J said:
That is not the point of progress they talk about. Nintendo is not a company you go to for story. They have some good ones like MOTHER and Fire Emblem. But in terms of progress they lead the charge in terms of gameplay and technology.
In recent years, that progress tends to be gameplay mechanics and tech that very few beyond Nintendo themselves are actually using...

So I think they might want to start thinking about progress in their IPs. Namely, letting them change the formula of the old ones... and getting new ones. Especially with how poorly the Wii U is doing. They need progress in software, not hardware.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Well that is fair enough, when you own your own console. No reason for them to develop for others really.

Catchpa: "do you love me?" ...Bit creepy there, catchpa, bit creepy.

SerBrittanicus

Jul 22, 2013
RJ 17 said:
I mean, it's never a good sign when you're forced to sell your next-gen console at a loss in order to help make it appealing.
Why do you think that? Both the Xbox 360 and the PS3 were sold at massive losses to make them appealing and the same will be true for the Xbox one and the PS4. The whole idea is that you sell the console at a loss and then make all your money back from selling games and whatnot, which both Nintendo and Sony have excellent positions for since they have so many exclusives. I haven't really played any Nintendo games since the gamecube, but it strikes me as being very stupid to suddenly put all their games on their competitors consoles.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Nice, direct statement - seemed somewhat un-Japanese, really, being so direct and unambiguous as that.

Also I looked at the picture and thought "just off-camera: Lisa Foiles".

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
I'm usually a pleasant person but this is one area where I feel like telling people to **** off. Nintendo makes there games for their Nintendo console, who knows what the long term future may hold but in the more immediate there's 0 chance of any of their first party games going finding their way to Sony or Microsoft.

Two things to note here. First, the article states that Nintendo is not making much money on the Wii-U, so they should port there games to the competitors to make up for it... exactly what games would those be? The primary reason the Wii-U is doing poorly right now is because Nintendo doesn't have many of their big games out yet. Once those games out Wii-U's will start selling, and Nintendo has never had a problem selling their big games. To suggest that they'd be better off releasing them to on a competing console is outright laughable, as with poor 3rd party support that's the only incentive to buy a Nintendo console which you'll be tossing out the window.

Second, and this is a very simply concept that people over look, Nintendo's weaker hardware consoles is perfectly adequate for playing Nintendo games. You don't need 8 GB of RAM and whatever ultra high end graphics card to play a Mario or Zelda game, developing them on a PS4 will net you pretty much zero improvements.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
is this really news? I mean i can honestly not remember Nintendo ever developing for another companies hardware. This doesn't bother me, after all I will never buy a Nintendo console.