Nintendo Will "Never" Develop For Other Platforms, Says Iwata

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
OlasDAlmighty said:
Sure it can. Does Nintendo really need to give consumers another reason not to buy their consoles? If Nintendo games start coming out for PS or PC what reason will anyone have to buy a WiiU? The controller? The predominate selling point of a Nintendo console is Nintendo games.
I'm not saying they should release their core franchises on other consoles. But, like, make a new IP. And then people new to Nintendo might say, "hey, I like what Nintendo did with this game" and buy their console to enjoy the other franchise which would be exclusive to it.

Alternatively they could bow out of the console game, keep dominating the handheld market and making a larger profit from their console games by not having to also support the console.

These are viable options for them to take, which Iwata has officially shot down for all eternity. And maybe that's the right choice, but only time will tell.

So progress means never reusing a concept from the past at all? In other words it doesn't matter how many new ideas Nintendo implements in their new Zelda game, if Ganondorf appears in it somewhere it automatically means they haven't progressed in any way?

Ya, I'm gonna go ahead and call bullshit to that.
It was a loose example to illustrate a point with minimal effort. Don't read into it so much.

But since you bring it up, the "new ideas" Nintendo brings to their franchises are too few and mostly minor. I think Nintendo is playing it far too safe with far too many games, which makes them all feel like "another Mario" rather than "a new Mario." The New Super Mario Bros. series and the fact that they did a direct sequel to Galaxy rather than a brand new game (like Galaxy was to Sunshine was to 64), as well as the abhorrently formulaic approach they've had towards Zelda for the past decade highlight this. Not to mention nearly forgetting all about other franchises like Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero and others.

Kittyhawk

Aug 2, 2012
@XASTA

I'm not going to reprint your diatribe. I admit I'm no business guru, but I've been watching Nintendo's actions as a company since the SNES era, so I'm no stranger to the kinds of things they do or the bs they'll spit out (while also enjoying their games too. Others might not know what I know, unless they've worked in games or know the industry well.

Doesn't matter how much they have in the bank, cause I'm in no way claiming they are going to tank as a company (can't say the same for Wii U though). Neither should you see the possibility of Nintendo games on a mobile as some kind of loss of face or pride, its not at all that.

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
I could see something like a Pokedex app for smartphones, or various other licensed encyclopedias, but not a full game. The games people go to Nintendo for don't really work with touch controls.

I guess maybe a Poke-Snap type game for phones? That could be cool while traveling, but I don't see it working otherwise.

Kittyhawk

Aug 2, 2012
Lol. Some of you are so funny.

Saying the mobile phone game bubble is going to burst, is kind of like when many say Nintendo are going to go under because of too many debacles. You have no evidence that things are that bad so its all pie in the sky bs thinking, friends. Pure speculation at best. And for you to think that mobile devs aren't thinking long term is bs too. Do you really think such thinking is exclusive to Nintendo?

Nintendo have 8 billion in the bank to bleed off. Ask yourself how much is being taken in mobile games per years, and tell me its going to tank. Pockycock! Feel free to dig deeper on how much mobile games are taking per year.

I guess the PC is also going to tank buy your thinking too, because it doesn't have the quality control of Nintendo? Lol.

As the nearest cousin to mobiles, the PC is the bastion of creativity because you can make what you want to make, unrestricted and free. Good games will rise to the top and bad ones sink via reviews, word of mouth etc. The PC is still here after many years and still endures one gen to the next. How does it do this? Because the tech is always moving forward, keeping devs/pubs happy and their canvas large to work with.

Nintendo could learn a thing or two from PC and mobiles.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Pokemon. All GB to GBA games on Android/Iphone.

Legit, with trading between all versions. Please Nintendooooooo.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
hence while I will "never" play a new Zelda or Mario game loll

then again all the good ones I already own on the good Nintendo consoles (N64 Mario Party drinking game, anyone?)

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
You cannot tell me that Ocarina controls like Link To The Past. Not when Ocarina itself created the three-dimensional action template and gameplay mechanics which games like Dark Souls still use to this day. Z-targeting? Games still use that now. That wasn't a rehash, that was a completely new concept which revolutionised game design.

Motion controls in Skyward Sword? They may not have ended up being as influential, but they were still damn revolutionary. Never before have I been able to beat a boss by bait-and-switching him using my sword, or chopping off his limbs in precisely the manner I want.
I was thinking more along the lines of the 3D Zelda games. Yes, they each have brought something a bit different to the table. But you have to admit, they all have been a bit formulaic in their design:

You're a boy in a green tunic who goes down into dungeons solving puzzles using the items you find down there. And the story always involves Zelda, some magical mcguffins, and either the Master Sword, some musical instrument, or both.

Again, I'm not saying the games are bad for doing this, and it is true what OoT did was revolutionary for it's time, but that doesn't excuse the fact that Nintendo has been playing it safe for the series for quite a while now.

Metroid is a pretty weird example, given that each of the various sub-series have controlled incredibly differently to each other. Prime took a lot of nods from Super Metroid, but the entire first-person perspective made everything play differently. As for Other M, being developed by Team Ninja, that felt vastly different to the Prime series, and in may ways more akin to a Ninja Gaiden spinoff. When a series goes from a Castlevania style to a trilogy of first-person games to a Ninja Gaiden-esque action game, I don't think you really get to play the rehash card.
You're right, Metroid was a weird example. It is kinda hard to say Super Metroid and Metroid Prime work the same way. I retract what I said about it.

New Super Mario Bros is kind of an outlier here. The games sell in stupidly large amounts (NSMBWii is currently at around 16 million) so Nintendo would be stupid not to make those games. As it stands, however, they've only made four, one each for DS, Wii, 3DS and Wii U. And the vast majority of their output is far less iterative, and actually feels like each game is its own unique thing.
You could make the same argument about CoD. The games sell in stupidly large amounts so Infinity Ward/Treyarch would be stupid not to make those games.

It's obviously not something everyone agrees with, but that's just how it is.

Also, I don't really think that the NSMB games really did enough to differentiate themselves from each other. Especially considering a lot of what they did was pretty much more or less used in previous Mario games. That's just me though.

You could literally post different skins on Super Mario Sunshine and Galaxy, and people would think they were completely different games. Sure, they're both platformers, but the difference in style, level design and gameplay makes the difference between the two much larger than, say, the difference between Banjo Kazooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day.
When you get right down to it, Sunshine and Galaxy are essentially the same. You run around a hub world, you enter different worlds, and you collect a bunch of stars in order to gain access to the next level. And I don't even need to mention the plot to those games.

I will agree though, they are different games in terms of what gimmick they each use, whether it be the Fludd from the former or gravity in Galaxy. And in a sense, that's what counts the most in those kinds of games.

The point I'm trying to make is that Nintendo is guilty of reusing old ideas themselves. So I stand by my statement before for the most part.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a lot of Nintendo's games. Majora's Mask, Metroid Prime, Kirby 64, ect. But I'm not going to deny that Nintendo has been relying on their old franchises and game mechanics for a long time and it might be time to actually try to change things up a bit.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Sega. It would be naive to expect individuals to not reference highly relateable business case studies.
But it isn't highly relatable. That's my point.
Sega released their Saturn without a strong lineup of games. The WiiU was launched without a strong lineup of games and most of the most exciting titles have been pushed back to the end of this year or 2014. If you don't think they're relate-able then you're ignoring the similarities. Thankfully the Saturn was a little worse because they tried to launch months early without even telling anyone except a select few retailers and a lot worse because of the price point (though the wiiU is arguably more expensive than many people thought it would be).

I wonder if they're planning on launching a ton of games all during this holiday season? I guess that'd be a gambit worth trying in the situation but it's still a little embarrasing to go a year with only a handful of standout titles. I'll admit it, I am jealous of pikimin and w101. I'm just not jealous enough to buy a wiiU until two or three years down the road when I can get it and what will likely be about 10 games that I'll actually want to play.

The gamegear was a success for the time at 11 million units and beat out Atari Lynx and NEC TurboExpress at the time. It didn't beat Nintendo. But you can't consider beating Nintendo in the handheld market the only qualifier of success.
When Nintendo at that time literally owned the handheld market, yes you can.
That's ridiculous. Forging a successful place in the handheld market when Nintendo was the absolute king was great. The sold 11 million units and did really well for a company whose focus was clearly on the home consoles. A successor to the GameGear was supposed to be announced alongside the Saturn but the sales of the Saturn were so staggeringly abysmal that they didn't even try (consider this, the Saturn sold fewer units than the game gear). The point of being in business is to make money. To be an underdog and to go up against the king and actually gain enough ground to be able to continue is significant. Or do you think Nintendo was an easy target to snipe market share from? You said it yourself, they owned the market and gaining a foothold the first time out is absolutely a success.

By your logic Nintendo utterly failed against Sony in both the fifth and sixth generation. The N64 and the Gamecube. The N64 only sold 33million to Sony's 102 million and the gamecube only sold 22 million to PS2's 154 million. I'd say both generations were financially successful for Nintendo and therefore successful overall. I was actually astonished when I heard the number comparisons regarding the N64. We all talk about it so fondly, but I wonder how many of us were members of large families or just had friends that had it for that number to be so low and the fans to be so numerous? Not making a point with that, just wondering. I'd say the Wii was a smashing success.

The Sega Genesis was only discontinued in 1997 with the release of the Saturn and was immensely successful.
Indeed. You could in fact make the argument that the Mega Drive/Genesis was the only majorly successful console Sega ever had. That is not the case with Nintendo.
I would argue that the Genesis and the Gamegear was it's only true success, yeah. But I fail to see how that diminishes the fact that the Saturn and the WiiU are two consoles that were both launched with relatively few launch titles and were on track to sell less than 10 million copies in two years of having been launched. This seriously harms the sales and can really peeve 3rd party developers who have traditionally made easy cash with launch titles. It also makes retailers leery of giving it more self space than they think it deserves. Some people say Sega didn't give Saturn enough time, in which case I expect Nintendo do give it more.

Nintendo may try a kind of second launch this holiday season if they flood the market with four or five high profile games. Let's say none of them are console sellers necessarily but combined will make a convincing argument. They can't cut the price so that's sad but let's hope they make it.

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
When every other major publisher single-handedly each revive the gaming industry, and put out games that go on to dictate the fundamental of game design, then maybe the comparison will be apt.

Nintendo have more than earned their right to manufacture consoles. Moreso than Microsoft, who essentially bought their way into the console market, and have been sinking billions in losses in order to stay there.

While I agree with the latter part about Microsoft, I just want to point out that contrary to popular belief, Nintendo didn't "Single-handedly revive the Gaming Industry", as:

A: It only died out in America.
B: It left PC Gaming completely unaffected.

While the NES did dominate the late 80's in the US, gaming in Europe (or the UK at least) was mainly about the ZX Spectrum and C64 and other PC's, and the homebrew culture that surrounded them. Hell, Mattel flamingoed up the NES launch in the UK leaving it to be beat by the Master System and Mega Drive.

OT: In other news: Pope confirmed Catholic, Sunrise this morning and (Insert Xbone news here).

funkyjiveturkey

Jan 18, 2013
i honestly think it's the only way nintendo is going to stay afloat. the second last paragraph made me lol.

"Nintendo is a company that has never stopped progressing, and when it comes to the fan-base, of course, we have to sustain that," he said, "but we are always trying to expand that."
nintendo's last major progression in game technology was the N64. it had amazing graphics, a great lineup of games and developers (especially with Rare on their side), and they were able to do as much gimmicky bullshit with it as they could before it got discontinued, and even then the gimmicks were neccesary for some really great games.

the gamecube was good, great even, but the only real progression there was the controller and graphics, the actual hardware was crushed under the mighty weight of the PS2. The moves nintendo made with the wii essentially shunned a good portion of the fanbase due to lack of third party support, and everything not being mario or metroid was generally crispy-fried puke.

the Wii-U is trying to recapture a fanbase lost to the HD consoles by re-releasing all the same games for the HD consoles on their new platform. now that many developers have even already stated they want nothing to do with wii-u, i really dont think it's going to be the saving grace of nintendo. their strength lives in their franchises, not their hardware or gimmicks.

Nosirrah

Apr 16, 2013
Desert Punk said:
WeepingAngels said:
Where did this nonsense start? Why do people expect Nintendo to make games for competing consoles? Is anyone suggesting that Microsoft put Halo on the PS3/4 or the Wii U?
Anyone with two braincells to rub together would LOVE to see Halo on the PS3/4 and the Wii U.
OH GOD NO. They would release the new monstrosities then "HD" versions of the good ones and suddenly halo has a massive market and they need more sequels, More Sequels, MORE SEQUELS, until all that people remember about bungie's games was how terrible the graphics were compared to halo 97,000's.

And then they go back to beating the dust that used to be a horse

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
I come back from two days of NY to see 4 or so article in under a week bashing the Wii U.(including gaming discussion.)
And another article where Iwata had to waste his time replying to the stupid notion that because of ONE bad console launch Nintendo would have to put their IP's on their competitors consoles (and considering how they haven't come out yet OR know how well they will sell makes this idea really hardware destroying at worst stupid at best.)

Meanwhile Sony has devalued what little they have in the way of company recognizable franchises like Little Big Planet by having them in an iPhone app Coco Cola game. Something that actually manages to defeat the ridiculousness of Halo and their fucking Doritos promotion, and they don't get nearly enough ridicule as the Wii U articles.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Dragonbums said:
I come back from two days of NY to see 4 or so article in under a week bashing the Wii U.(including gaming discussion.)
Discussing the current failing of a system is not bashing it. I think you're taking discussions about the WiiU's limitations, marketing failures, and faulty pricing strategies to be bashing. It isn't bashing when there really is a problem and if even Nintendo has acknowledged these things then you've got no business calling it bashing if we discuss them too. Not unless you know things Nintendo doesn't want to tell us. The media isn't creating news here, this is public discussion of what Nintendo made. It's rough when a brand you love teeters this way but that doesn't make this particular iteration praiseworthy. Rest assured that Nintendo is sitting on a scrooge mcDuck mountain of cash from the Wii generation and will have at least one more shot at the home console market before they're really in trouble. Just hope they take in all the criticisms and turn that into a reliable response to this shifting market in the coming years.

For example, the fact alone that it can't play DVDs makes it second choice at best for my next gen console. I've also not been happy with the Wii's Netflix or HuluPlus app but haven't seen the WiiU's to know if it's any better. I already use my ps3 as my primary media device in my home and a 360 as my backup one (I only prefer the ps3 to the 360 here because the ps3's dash is cleaner and ad-free. The boot time is also better but perhaps that's because the 360 thinks I want to use the kinect every single time).

And another article where Iwata had to waste his time replying to the stupid notion that because of ONE bad console launch Nintendo would have to put their IP's on their competitors consoles (and considering how they haven't come out yet OR know how well they will sell makes this idea really hardware destroying at worst stupid at best.)
This isn't one bad console. The Wii wasn't a great console, it was a FANTASTIC (in my opinion revolutionary) use of peripherals that opened up an entire other type of gameplay that wasn't viable before. The console itself was weak sauce but Nintendo managed to expand its market. But if you haven't noticed, 3rd party development began dropping off as of the gamecube. I mean, if the Wii, a system that has probably sold 100 million units by now, can't get significant third party development then there's something wrong with the system.

So the question is really up in the air. Is there a future for a company like Nintendo that can't compete with next gen technology but is trying to? I'd say no. I'd say there is a future for Nintendo if they compete along the lines of what they succeeded on the Wii with. Affordable family friendly and party fun with the usual first party titles for the serious gamers. Is the WiiU a bad console? Yes. It's between markets and that's the worst thing they can do. Expensive and unnecessary for casual gamers while being reasonable but too weak for most hardcore gamers that love their 3rd party content. Will I be buying a WiiU? Probably. But not for years and that's going to be a problem for Nintendo if other gamers are going with a full-fledge media/gaming system for $50 more like I am.

Meanwhile Sony has devalued what little they have in the way of company recognizable franchises like Little Big Planet by having them in an iPhone app Coco Cola game. Something that actually manages to defeat the ridiculousness of Halo and their fucking Doritos promotion, and they don't get nearly enough ridicule as the Wii U articles.
HAHAHA, Who the hell would Nintendo be to tell any other company that they're encorporating an IP into too much other stuff? Mario is insanely popular, I'd say he's more recogniseable than Mickey Mouse and perhaps any other animated icon. You'd be shocked how many things you can actually find the main Nintendo cast in. Additionally, have you ever seen the character based TV shows? SMB, Zelda, etc?

To Sony's general defense, as if they needed any, Microsoft literally encorporated marketing into the mainstream games themselves. You got points in-game for buying doritos or mountain dew products. We don't care about IPs being used elsewhere, we care when the marketing crosses into our games themselves in such a ridiculous way.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/halo-4-double-xp-unlocked-with-dew-doritos-purchases-6397472

Look, in Halo 4 you could get double xp by buying those products. That's dumb as hell and isn't the same as the Master Chief appearing in other media like Super Smash Bros. or movies or something like that. What's more, the doritos and Mountain Dew stuff didn't make people like Halo 4 any less. It was still a great game. So how does the existence of a character in a iPhone app somehow equate to the mainstream game itself being a sell-out? Heck, a tiny Coke world done right could even be charming.

funkyjiveturkey said:
Nintendo's last major progression in game technology was the N64. it had amazing graphics, a great lineup of games and developers (especially with Rare on their side), and they were able to do as much gimmicky bullshit with it as they could before it got discontinued, and even then the gimmicks were neccesary for some really great games.
I did find it astounding that this console only sold 34 million units compared to the ps1's 102 million. It seems like everyone I talked to has fond memories of the N64 and yet that appears to be statistically unlikely.

the gamecube was good, great even, but the only real progression there was the controller and graphics, the actual hardware was crushed under the mighty weight of the PS2. The moves nintendo made with the wii essentially shunned a good portion of the fanbase due to lack of third party support, and everything not being mario or metroid was generally crispy-fried puke.
The gamecube was not good. It was especially not great. A great system that is highly affordable does not sell less than a more expensive new entrant in the market (Xbox) and 7 times less than a competitor that was only 4 years old. It was the first major generation where Nintendo began losing 3rd party development in a significant way.

You did forget that this console gen they moved away from catridge to the optical disk. Sure, it was to a crappy minidisk but at least in 2001 they finally stop using cartridges. This is hilarious because Sony had actually developed a disk based console for Nintendo a decade prior (1991) but Nintendo snubbed Sony after they had already put so much work into it and ultimately led to the creation of the playstation. Nintendo even secretly went with Phillips to develop a disk-based console and didn't tell Sony until announcing it on stage. Thus making the original playstation more revenge/justice for Sony than anything else and so it became the first console to ship over 100 million units. It's one of my favorite stories and makes Sony one of the very first companies to develop cd-based console hardware (though they released only 200 or so of their first model in 1991 before really releasing the psone). The gamecube also encorporated online gaming albeit extremely limited and barely supported. They also, of all things, had a stereoscopic 3D feature that wasn't used because this was 2001 and 3D televisions were a rarity. This all isn't to say that the console was good, just that there were several legitimate advances.

the Wii-U is trying to recapture a fanbase lost to the HD consoles by re-releasing all the same games for the HD consoles on their new platform. now that many developers have even already stated they want nothing to do with wii-u, i really dont think it's going to be the saving grace of nintendo. their strength lives in their franchises, not their hardware or gimmicks.
They really did a disservice by trying to create a next gen system at near next gen prices but failing to reach next gen technology at the given price. They would have been much better suited to create a console called Wii2 that had substantially better controller tracking and was just a nice tech step above the Wii but not so much as to push the price over $250. Including a DVD player would have been very nice for them as well.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
This just re-affirms what Nintendo as a whole said in the past: the day they stop making consoles is the day they stop making video games as a whole... Which is why I want to make sure the Wii U does well.

Kittyhawk

Aug 2, 2012
@LightKnight

You knock it out of the park again, sir.

I see where you are coming from with the Wii U/Saturn similarity. I had the displeasure of watching the Saturn play out and get crushed by Sony PSone. If I recall, Sega didn't push the Saturn out with any real dedicated 3D graphics tech, with it mainly relying on 2D games. As a result, PSone with a significant 2D/3D advantage, ate its competition lunch quickly and gave Sega a nasty surprise. Saturn sales were not that great, in part because Sega previously pushed out the Mega 32X peripheral that connected to the Megadrive/Genesis. You could say Sega diluted their own market, then PSone came along dealing the death blows.

@CriticKitten

Yes, business is about making profit and Nintendo's money bin is full, while they've screwed over a lot of people to gain some of those coins (we got that bit and I doubt Sony will ever forgive them for the SNES CD u-turn). What you fail to mention though is the tightrope Nintendo are walking, in the belief that the money bin will always be full. While they can afford a few failures, its a fallacy to think there will always be a full money bin, food and wine, especially without fighting for it through producing better products.

Go and read up the fall of Kodak and Blockbuster (different business I know, but the business lesson still counts), and you might understand why some gamers are concerned about Nintendo, and not 'bashing' them as some like to lace it.

http://mashable.com/2012/01/20/kodak-digital-missteps/

http://www.csub.edu/kej/documents/economic_rsch/2012-04-23.pdf

http://techcrunch.com/2011/04/06/make-it-a-blockbuster-night/

http://www.csub.edu/kej/documents/economic_rsch/2010-11-30.pdf

Euro gamer also did a good piece on the rise and fall of Sega you might want to read. Interesting food for thought stuff.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
Desert Punk said:
WeepingAngels said:
Where did this nonsense start? Why do people expect Nintendo to make games for competing consoles? Is anyone suggesting that Microsoft put Halo on the PS3/4 or the Wii U?
Anyone with two braincells to rub together would LOVE to see Halo on the PS3/4 and the Wii U.

Console exclusive games are dumb. as. shit. Imagine if you bought a DVD but it wouldnt play in 2/3rds of DVD players on the market.
Just so you know one of the reasons why we had the first console crash was because you could find a game like frogger on 15 different systems. Exclusives kinda help consumers know what system has what and why it's needed.