No Dubstep in gaming

TomLikesGuitar

Jul 6, 2010
TerribleAssassin said:
Even that's not dubstep my friend, besides that 32 bar variation.
Are you talking about "Rock n' Roll", because that song is certainly dubstep. There are parts where it is hard to hear the wobble, but I assure you it is there the whole song. He sometimes uses a wobble LFO on other things, like the volume, but the effect is similar.

DrgoFx

Aug 30, 2011
Dubstep has WIDELY been morphed from its original form, primarily thanks to Skrillex. Here is a dubstep song I find very soothing. The basic idea of dubstep is the key feature of a "drop." This can be handled several ways, not just the annoying WUBWUBWUBWUB sound.

thom_cat_

Nov 30, 2008
Pretty Lights + it's tricky for SSX. How could you not want this in a game?

And I hate all these massive generalisations about dubstep. Dubstep doesn't need to have a wub.
This is also dubstep:

Suave Charlie

Pleasant Bastard
Sep 23, 2009
II Scarecrow II said:
First of all, I do not hate [Genre] because it is popular; I loath it as it caused my ears physical agony to listen to. I honestly think nails on a chalk board is a more appealing sound than what is produced by [Genre] "arists."

Secondly, one person claimed that it can take months or years to learn the art of mixing songs. I'm sure it does, if you're becoming a DJ, but [Genre] is the mutiliation of an original artists piece of music into something that is just LOUD, OFFENSIVE NOISE. It is the music equivalent of walking up to a person, screaming in their face for five minutes before slapping them in the side of the head then stabbing nails into their eardrums.

Finally, I know I have rather eclectic tastes in music, and it is spread across a wide set of genres including pop. As I stated, I do not hate it because it's popular or it doesn't match up with my tastes; it is an offense to my senses. I dislike a lot of genres, including rap or heavy metal, but at least they are genres of MUSIC. [Genre] simply sounds like a mashup of the most ear-rending sounds that could be electronically generated, for ignorant twats too full of themselves to blast from their cars, iPods or speakers at its full, window-shaking, bass-booming, rythym-retarded terribleness. Yes, I know that is not a word, but you like dubstep. You point is invalid.

You like [Genre] therefore your point is invalid. great argument there, you should be a lawyer, you'd tear down any defence!
You have a varied choice in music, great, name one genre that I couldn't mould the previous paragraphs around.
Seriously, the whole "I don't like it therefore it isn't music" schtick doesn't really work. I know it's a forum for people to express their views but Jesus, this is too much for me.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Zhukov said:
Given that this 'dubstep' thing is being referred to as some kind of world consuming evil, I feel a bit silly about having to go look it up.

Okay, I'm back.

I wouldn't worry too much. It doesn't sound like anything that would appear in a game with the slightest vestige of class.
Yeah, I too am a bit mystified by this flood of dubstep attention lately. Sounds like generic techno with the basslines slightly turned up.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
JesterRaiin said:
shurikenshado4 said:
Keep Dubstep out of gaming. Idc if people enjoy it. Just enjoy it elsewhere.
Keep people who don't enjoy certain games away.
Problem solved.

krazykidd said:
So what exacly is dubstep? Iv'e never heard of this musical genre .
Woooob Woooob Woooob Woooob Woooob Woooob Woooob Woooob Woooob
Vzeeeeeeeeeeeee Vzeeeeeeeeeeeee Vzeeeeeeeeeeeee Vzeeeeeeeeeeeee
DrumDrumDrum DrumDrumDrum DrumDrumDrum DrumDrumDrum DrumDrumDrum
Riffffffffffffffff distort hammer
Vzeeeeeeeeeeeee Vzeeeeeeeeeeeee Vzeeeeeeeeeeeee Vzeeeeeeeeeeeee

There you go. :)
This is dubstep then?

Or this?

Man I didn't know that was dubstep. Thanks for enlightening me.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Fishyash said:
Hey, no problem ! Always glad to help those less fortunate, people cursed with small sense of humor. ;p

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
TomLikesGuitar said:
TerribleAssassin said:
Even that's not dubstep my friend, besides that 32 bar variation.
Are you talking about "Rock n' Roll", because that song is certainly dubstep. There are parts where it is hard to hear the wobble, but I assure you it is there the whole song. He sometimes uses a wobble LFO on other things, like the volume, but the effect is similar.
There's a 32 bar section where it switches to Dubstep, but the rest has a straight 4 to the floor beat, which most would agree it is House.

And just because it's a house tune with an distorted electro wobble, doesn't make it dubstep instantaneously.

Zac Smith

Apr 25, 2010
fenrizz said:
shurikenshado4 said:
Its a long description so ill just cut to the chase. Keep Dubstep out of gaming. Idc if people enjoy it. Just enjoy it elsewhere.
Indeed.
I'd also like to add the following to the list:

Classical music (i.e. Beethoven, Baach etc.)
80's electro pop
Anything that has ever been on the billboard top 100
Punk, Post Punk, Punk Rock
Rock, Hard Rock
Rap, Gangsta Rap, R&B
Heavy Metal, Black Metal, Death Metal and Trash Metal
Pop music

I don't care if people enjoy it, I demand that it be kept out of my games.
They can always enjoy it somewhere else.

Also, I'd like to ban anime from all TV stations and most torrent sites.
I don't care if people enjoy it, they can always enjoy it somewhere else, no?
So...you don't want any music in your game then?

Yellowbeard

Nov 2, 2010
torzath said:
This.
Here's a good example of a movie trailer that works well with dubstep (the movie doesn't have dubstep in it, just the trailer).

If by "work" you mean make the movie look like exploitative shit. Everyone I know who saw that trailer assumed it was some kind of rappers-in-Mustangs bullshit film and had to be told that it's (apparently) based on real people and history.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
oh god here we go again

Somonah said:
Example of dubstep, pretty much the only dubstep song i like;

I think that's closer to electro house than dubstep

I'll be back when another dubstep thread comes along.

But yeah, I really hate that brostep-y stuff.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
JesterRaiin said:
Fishyash said:
Hey, no problem ! Always glad to help those less fortunate, people cursed with small sense of humor. ;p
:<

My point definitely could have come without sarcasm, sure... but I feel sadness wash over me when someone defines a genre with something that isn't a truly definitive feature of the genre. Electronic music genres are defined by the beat. That's about it.

(striking the fact I completely missed the point of your post)

Even though I misunderstood you, at least it was an opportunity to vent.

megarik

Feb 2, 2011
I have only heard 1 good dubstep song and that song (forgotten it's name) wasn't made by skrillex. it has to fit with the game like it wouldn't make sense to put heavy metal in silent hunter or splinter cell.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Zac Smith said:
fenrizz said:
shurikenshado4 said:
Its a long description so ill just cut to the chase. Keep Dubstep out of gaming. Idc if people enjoy it. Just enjoy it elsewhere.
Indeed.
I'd also like to add the following to the list:

Classical music (i.e. Beethoven, Baach etc.)
80's electro pop
Anything that has ever been on the billboard top 100
Punk, Post Punk, Punk Rock
Rock, Hard Rock
Rap, Gangsta Rap, R&B
Heavy Metal, Black Metal, Death Metal and Trash Metal
Pop music

I don't care if people enjoy it, I demand that it be kept out of my games.
They can always enjoy it somewhere else.

Also, I'd like to ban anime from all TV stations and most torrent sites.
I don't care if people enjoy it, they can always enjoy it somewhere else, no?
So...you don't want any music in your game then?
I will accept Polka from the years 1983-1987, but only albums made by Polish bands that are also for sale in Indiana, US.
They also need to be still active.

mellemhund

Apr 1, 2009
Somonah said:
Example of dubstep, pretty much the only dubstep song i like;

Listening to it by itself, most dubstep kinda sucks IMO, but i imagine that song, in a game like WipeoutHD and it would be great!
Haha This is what I was listening to as I read through this thread.

OT: I'm almost 30 and listen to dub when I play HoN. I can't really see what your problem is with having music in games. It's like the 00's when hiphop was in everything. Something else will come along and be the default music in your generic fighter/shooter/racer. If you start getting annoyed, it'll take your attention and you'll get upset over nothing.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Fishyash said:
JesterRaiin said:
Fishyash said:
:<

My point definitely could have come without sarcasm, sure... but I feel sadness wash over me when someone defines a genre with something that isn't a truly definitive feature of the genre. Electronic music genres are defined by the beat. That's about it.

(striking the fact I completely missed the point of your post)

Even though I misunderstood you, at least it was an opportunity to vent.
Hey, no problem - i'm always more eager to smile than to quarrel. ;)

But, remember one thing, my fellow Escapist : things that hold real value need no defense other than truth. I don't think that we should talk about Dubstep (or any other any genre for that matter) with very serious attitude.
After all... De gustibus non est disputandum :D

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Sounds like the music from Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot from Borderlands...
I have no problems with this aslong as it fits in with the game