No Flash Support For Nintendo 3DS Browser

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
No Flash Support For Nintendo 3DS Browser

Word on the street is that the Nintendo 3DS [http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-3DS-Aqua-Blue/dp/B002I090AG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307026420&sr=8-1] web browser won't support Flash, putting all those fun, free online games just out of reach.

Tell me if this sounds familiar: a huge, super-successful technology company with a control fetish decides against supporting one of the most ubiquitous online technologies in its products in order to ensure a high degree of quality for its customers. No, we're not talking about Apple, we're talking about Nintendo, which according to Develop [http://www.develop-online.net/news/37827/Nintendo-bans-Flash-on-3DS-browser] has elected to "ban" Flash from the soon-to-be-released Nintendo 3DS web browser. That means that all those free Flash games kicking around on the internet, some of which are actually pretty good, won't be playable on the device.

Why cripple it this way? Nintendo hasn't commented on the situation directly but in March, president Satoru Iwata said the game industry is "drowning" in cheap, crappy games churned out and playable on multiple platforms, including handhelds. "These platforms have no motivation to maintain the value of the game," he told his audience at the 2011 Game Developers Conference. "Quantity is how they profit. The value of software does not matter to them."

It's a valid point as far as it goes, but the big question is whether or not consumers will appreciate Nintendo looking out for their best interests this way, or at the very least be indifferent enough about it that they won't be put off buying the thing. The marginally-tech-savvy nerd in me is appalled at the idea of going online without Flash but I'm inclined to think that it won't matter to most 3DS buyers, who [I'm guessing] purchase the unit for the Nintendo-specific games it offers and not for its online capabilities. What say you, 3DS owners? Are you outraged by this inexcusable omission, or would you never have noticed it if someone hadn't brought it to your attention?

holy_secret

Nov 2, 2009
GreatTeacherCAW said:
I don't think my first question would be "Why doesn't the 3DS have flash support?" I think it would be "Why the hell did you buy a 3DS?"
Burn!

Seriously though. What's up with this hatred towards flash?

danhere

Apr 5, 2010
GreatTeacherCAW said:
I don't think my first question would be "Why doesn't the 3DS have flash support?" I think it would be "Why the hell did you buy a 3DS?"
This is more or less accurate. The handheld market is going to be very competitive once tablets are widely adopted. Hell, you can emulate PSX games on Honeycomb as it is, if I'm not mistaken. With all things considered, the 3DS is going to be widely inferior as a handheld device in the coming years, and this lack of flexibility only hurts it further. It is already very limited and will not see the same success as the DS Lite. I think most people realize that it's just a gimmick with no real lasting appeal. If only movie-goers were as observant...

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Well, I was planning on using the internet on it a lot, but mostly for forum usage I guess. I don't think I'd really notice it, other than not being able to go on YouTube...

But that's a big question... will there be some way to use YouTube and Netflix like the iPhone did? Or is it made in a certain way that allows those? Because I remember it being said that the 3DS would have Netflix, though that might have just been a rumor.

TheComfyChair

Sep 17, 2010
Well, if you can play free flash games, the 3ds suddenly has to up the quality it's actual £40 games.

Alucard788

May 1, 2011
So not only will most online games not work but most websites as well...and the ones that do wonk won't always 'look right' due to flash being used in most popular websites by default.

Makes me wonder why they bothered with a browser at all. o_O

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
holy_secret said:
Seriously though. What's up with this hatred towards flash?
Flash support would let you play free versions of the inevitable shovelware games that will release for the 3DS and they want you to pay for those.

OT: I would say wait for the homebrew crowd to mess with the browser to enable flash, but with Nintendo's 'right' to brick the console if you so much as look at them funny I don't see that happening real soon. I suspect that people will crack the 3DS, remove that feature, and spread the word on how to do that, and since GeoHot didn't set any legal precedent against Sony with his actions on the PS3 then I figure we've got another shitstorm brewing with Nintendo as the thunderhead.

darkszero

Apr 1, 2010
It's also possible the reason is a bit technical too. Flash software is intended for x86 processors and lightweight. It requires a very well done port for it to run well on the 3DS.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
If there is nothing in the EULA about adding flash support being illegal then i may be tempted to find a way to do it myself. The very leas they could do is have it support flash but only for certain websites like youtube or the Escapist. Most websites incorporate flash these days. Who are we kidding,98% of websites have flash now so this flash hate thing needs to stop. If they want quality so bad then why do they keep re-porting the same nintendo titles over and over again and also if they want us to have quality over quantity then explain this:

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Well, I am a little annoyed, but I don't really need flash that badly. I can play laggy games on my laptop whenever I feel the urge to.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
Nintendo taking the apple route eh?. Ach well, looks like its the NGP for me. Same reason why i now own an android phone, apple were just far too restrictive. I shouldn't have to modify my device to get it to do what i want.

i miss the Nintendo of 10 years ago ;(.

Roberto416

Mar 30, 2011
Flash is another way to play free games that is out of Nintendo's reach. It is a market which Nintendo would have no control over which includes homebrew software/games, thus would not generate Nintendo any revenue.

<quote=GreatTeacherCaw> I don't think my first question would be "Why doesn't the 3DS have flash support?" I think it would be "Why the hell did you buy a 3DS?"

Agreed. Was not really interested in the whole 3D craze in general.

Cpt Corallis

Apr 14, 2009
Is there any indication it will support HTML5? Also, Another rumour I heard was that the 3DS and the PS3 had a similar format browser. Any info on this?

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Sneaky Paladin said:
And once again I can't watch ZP on my mobile sutff, I'm gonna go cry now.
You ought get you an Android phone. Hell even on my old ass Droid Incredible I'm able to surf pretty smoothly with just a 3G connection.

As to the topic at hand of course Nintendo won't have Flash support. Does this surprise anyone? This is the same company that STILL doesn't have High Definition support for their home console system. Furthermore, if they included Flash support on the 3DS people would be able to play something other than overpriced remakes with shitty 3D and DS titles.

Nintendo has been perpetually behind the times since shortly after the SNES. When the industry went the CD route Nintendo decided (much to their detriment) to stay with cartridges. When the industry went from CD to DVD Nintendo decided that some bastardized mini disc was the way to go. Hell, the Wii can't even play DVDs without some third part tinkering. And as I said previously here we are in 2011 in a time when you can stream HD content through cell phones but not Nintendo's flagship console.

Nintendo got lucky that the Wii sold so well to the casual audience or else they likely would have gone the way of Sega. When it comes to making consoles they are clueless and rely on gimmicks over quality and substance. The only thing they have done well is portables and they are even ruining that currently with the 3DS.

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
Bad move, Nintendo. Don't this companies ever pay attention the failures of others (ie Apple's iPhone).