No matter how open-minded...

Thomas Eshuis

Dec 10, 2011
Majorlagger said:
I think in the escapist community i am going to be in the minority on this one, However.

Atheist saying that Faith is stupid... Now don't get me wrong i believe everyone has there own choices and beliefs so all the power to you... but Atheism is the firm belief that No God Exists. However this is just as much impossible to prove as proving that God does exist, if you really thought faith was stupid you would consider yourself an Agnostic.
Oxford Dictionary:
atheism
Pronunciation:/ˈeɪθɪɪz(ə)m/
noun
[mass noun]
disbelief in the existence of God or gods.
Origin:
late 16th century: from French athéisme, from Greek atheos, from a- 'without' + theos 'god'

disbelief
Pronunciation:/dɪsbɪˈliːf/
noun
[mass noun]
? inability or refusal to accept that something is true or real:
lack of faith:

As you can see Atheism is not the belief that god(s) do not exist, it is the lack of belief in any of them.

OT: Homophobes. I get they think it's 'icky' or against the rules of their mythological book, but that's no reason to try and infringe on the rights of their fellow human beings.
Don't like it, don't do it, but mind your own business.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
Insanum said:
There are just two things I cant stand, People who are intolerant of other peoples races & beliefs, and the dutch.
what is wrong with my country?

O:Well religous people but other people already said them

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
I don't understand people who, on finding out that you drink/smoke weed immediately condemn you to death pretty much. Then again, that less "people" and more "people on these forums".

Majorlagger

Feb 10, 2010
Thomas Eshuis said:
Majorlagger said:
I think in the escapist community i am going to be in the minority on this one, However.

Atheist saying that Faith is stupid... Now don't get me wrong i believe everyone has there own choices and beliefs so all the power to you... but Atheism is the firm belief that No God Exists. However this is just as much impossible to prove as proving that God does exist, if you really thought faith was stupid you would consider yourself an Agnostic.
Oxford Dictionary:
atheism
Pronunciation:/ˈeɪθɪɪz(ə)m/
noun
[mass noun]
Origin:
late 16th century: from French athéisme, from Greek atheos, from a- 'without' + theos 'god'

disbelief
Pronunciation:/dɪsbɪˈliːf/
noun
[mass noun]

lack of faith:

As you can see Atheism is not the belief that god(s) do not exist, it is the lack of belief in any of them.

OT: Homophobes. I get they think it's 'icky' or against the rules of their mythological book, but that's no reason to try and infringe on the rights of their fellow human beings.
a·the·ist
   [ey-thee-ist] Show IPA
noun
a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.
Origin:
1565?75; < Greek áthe ( os ) godless + -ist

Related forms
an·ti·a·the·ist, noun, adjective
pro·a·the·ist, noun, adjective

Can be confused: &#8194;1. agnostic, atheist (see synonym note at the current entry ); 2. atheist, theist, deist.

Synonyms
Atheist, agnostic, infidel, skeptic refer to persons not inclined toward religious belief or a particular form of religious belief. An atheist is one who denies the existence of a deity or of divine beings. An agnostic is one who believes it impossible to know anything about God or about the creation of the universe and refrains from commitment to any religious doctrine. Infidel means an unbeliever, especially a nonbeliever in Islam or Christianity. A skeptic doubts and is critical of all accepted doctrines and creeds.

Very Similar yes.. and maybe i am just missing something but could you help me understand the difference (other than the wording) in the belief that something doesn't exist and and disbelief that is does exist?

i could be wrong but if someone says "I don't believe Santa exist." and "I believe Santa does not exist" are those not interchangeable?

i7omahawki

Mar 22, 2010
Durgiun said:
For the life of me, I'll never understand people who see 2001: A Space Odyssey as THE greatest movie of all time.
I'm one of those people. But it seems reasonable for someone to not see it that way.

It's so odd, as a movie. Not because of the space stations, super-intelligent A.I. or interdimensional travel. It's because it's slow, atmospheric and light on plot.

If there is a division between film and movies, films being closer to art and movies being associated with entertainment, I would be perplexed by 2001 being a great movie too.

As an artistic experience however, it is like a moving painting, set to beautiful music. It seems to combine all the finest elements of art up to the point it was made, and I think, in its own way, its perfect that way.

Having a ranking of films that would place only one at the top is a strange behaviour to me though. That said, if I had to pick one, it'd probably be 2001, or another Kubrick piece.

Out of interest, did you not like the film? Or did you merely not enjoy it as much as others clearly do? I'd be interested to know.

OT: Why people read bad, modern novels; watch shit TV; and settle for mediocre movies when such a vast collection of artistic works exists for anyone to see at almost any time.

Why people bother reading Twilight when something like Wuthering Heights is easily available, I'll never understand.

It seems so odd to 'settle', when we have most of the greatest works ever almost at our fingertips.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Buchholz101 said:
Vkmies said:
It's because tattoos can have a distinct purpose, it could be a reminder of a loved one you've lost.
I've always found that statement to be quite stupid. You shouldn't need a tattoo as a visual aid to be a reminder of a dead loved one. All a person does by getting one of those tattoos is tell people that they've got a deceased loved one, thing is everyone has a deceased loved one.

As far as I'm concerned, a person getting a tattoo related to a dead relative equates to saying "Wah, I've got a dead family member and the only way I could show how much they meant to me is by getting this tattoo. May I have some sympathy?"

But that's just me, I'm quite cynical when it comes to things like remembrance and whatnot.

i7omahawki

Mar 22, 2010
Majorlagger said:
Thomas Eshuis said:
Majorlagger said:

Oxford Dictionary:
atheism
Pronunciation:/&#712;e&#618;&#952;&#618;&#618;z(&#601;)m/
noun
[mass noun]
Origin:

disbelief
Pronunciation:/d&#618;sb&#618;&#712;li&#720;f/
noun
[mass noun]

lack of faith:

a·the·ist
&#8194; &#8194;[ey-thee-ist] Show IPA
noun
Origin:

Related forms

Can be confused: &#8194;1. agnostic, atheist (see synonym note at the current entry ); 2. atheist, theist, deist.

Synonyms
Atheist, agnostic, infidel, skeptic refer to persons not inclined toward religious belief or a particular form of religious belief. An atheist is one who denies the existence of a deity or of divine beings. An agnostic is one who believes it impossible to know anything about God or about the creation of the universe and refrains from commitment to any religious doctrine. Infidel means an unbeliever, especially a nonbeliever in Islam or Christianity. A skeptic doubts and is critical of all accepted doctrines and creeds.

Very Similar yes.. and maybe i am just missing something but could you help me understand the difference (other than the wording) in the belief that something doesn't exist and and disbelief that is does exist?

i could be wrong but if someone says "I don't believe Santa exist." and "I believe Santa does not exist" are those not interchangeable?
Not quite interchangeable. For example, I'm assuming you don't believe in a Phrozdrakal, but neither do you believe that a Phrozdrakal does not exist. That is because you (likely) haven't heard that word before, as it happens to be a made-up word, and empty concept.

Similarly, one can not believe in God because the idea of god(/s) seems unfathomable and incoherent. Therefore one would not believe a God does exist, but nor would one believe it didn't exist. Just like a Phrozdrakal.

I believe I know what you're getting at though, which is the, let's say zealotry and militant nature of many modern atheists. And they don't attack the idea of God as being incoherent, they attack particular excerpts of a particular religion. Which is the exact same behaviour orchestrated by religions in the past and present.

To differentiate itself it shouldn't cite the contradictary passages of the Bible, or equate the Christian God with other gods of other religions, and aim to disprove all through the dissection of a single example. Instead it should say, pretty simply: "I don't understand this idea of 'God', and on those grounds I cannot endorse your religion, or any religion, until it is made intelligible to me."

Those are good grounds for being atheist. Believing that God does not exist, as you point out, requires as much faith as believing he does exist, only without a point of worship, which leads only to nihilistic patterns of thought.

i7omahawki

Mar 22, 2010
anthony87 said:
I don't understand people who, on finding out that you drink/smoke weed immediately condemn you to death pretty much. Then again, that less "people" and more "people on these forums".
Happy death to you sir, may you have a good one.

I don't smoke, and don't drink that much, but I welcome everyone to try it. I guess those people don't understand what a good time is.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
i7omahawki said:
anthony87 said:
Happy death to you sir, may you have a good one.

I don't smoke, and don't drink that much, but I welcome everyone to try it. I guess those people don't understand what a good time is.
Hear! Hear!

Actually I don't smoke myself, I was just using it as an example. I do partake in the occasional drinking with friends. I fail to see why that's such a bad thing and deserves a talking down to from people who are so high up on their horses they can't even see me.

Thomas Eshuis

Dec 10, 2011
rolfwesselius said:
Insanum said:
There are just two things I cant stand, People who are intolerant of other peoples races & beliefs, and the dutch.
what is wrong with my country?

O:Well religous people but other people already said them
That's a quote of the movie Austin Powers Goldmember.
It's a joke.

Thomas Eshuis

Dec 10, 2011
Majorlagger said:
Thomas Eshuis said:
Majorlagger said:

Oxford Dictionary:
atheism
Pronunciation:/&#712;e&#618;&#952;&#618;&#618;z(&#601;)m/
noun
[mass noun]
Origin:

disbelief
Pronunciation:/d&#618;sb&#618;&#712;li&#720;f/
noun
[mass noun]

lack of faith:

a·the·ist
&#8194; &#8194;[ey-thee-ist] Show IPA
noun
Origin:

Related forms

Synonyms

The first is open to the existence of Santa Clause, but does not positively believe he does.
The second denies the possibility of Santa Clause existing.

As someone else put it:
"Let's say I flip a coin, don't show it to you, and tell you it's heads. Do you believe me? You shouldn't. If you don't, does that automatically mean that you believe it's tails? Of course not. It's the same with god claims. If someone says "god exists" and I say "I don't believe you" that does not automatically mean that I believe that god does not exist."

Edit: What dictionary did you use?

BOOM headshot65

Jul 7, 2011
Anti Nudist Cupcake said:
And the Westburo Baptist church, I understand them a hell of a lot LESS than the above mentioned. Why would you so enthusiastically believe in a God, which may not even exist just like all other Gods, that seeks to bring doom to us all? Why would you be preaching doom and hate so enthusiastically? Why do you seem to ENJOY hateful standpoints? What the hell is wrong with you? Why do you seem to WANT suffering and why do you PRAISE it when it occurs?

Now, UNLEASH THE QUOTES!
As a local resiednt of Kansas, the home state of Westboro:
1. I hate it when people assume EVERYONE HERE MUST be like them.
2. It has been said time and time again here...They ONLY do it to get media coverage, to get their 15 min. of fame (which is WAY overdue to stop now), and some people here also believe that they do it as a front for anti-American activity. There have been many times that they stomp and/or burn American flags, call Americans rather...just wrong things, and have been otherwise effective trolls to everything America stands for.

However, dont believe Mr. Phelps ruse. Again, as a local, I can tell you truthfully, he must be scared out of his mind. My bus driver has a friend in the Patriot Guard (the anti-Westboro people) who has told him that more than once Phelps has WORN A BULLETPROOF VEST TO RALLIES! To that I have to say "If you are preaching Gods 'true word' there, Mister Phelps, dont you think he would protect his messenger? Come on what you afraid of, some Marine going to snap when your protesting his buddies funeral and grap an AR-15 from his car to end you?"

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
mrc390 said:
Metal Gear Solid 4 fans
I played all those fucking games and enjoyed the first three, but four was just SHIT. After Act 2 you literally have about another half hour of sneaking, rest is just cutscenes, and boss fights. Act 3 is just sneaking, cutscene, on rails shooting, boss fight, cutscene
Maybe if the cutscenes were at least GOOD and didn't ramble on for ages about things we already know( MGS3 had this a bit but a lot of the cutscenes were great not just endless plot holes like MGS4) then it could have been a good game. It's not a bad game but I can't understand how it has received such high acclaim over the years and is regarded as one of the best Ps3 games.
Agreed! MGS1 was revolutionary. 2 was great but not as good. 3 is my favourite because of the bigger focus on characters and beautiful setting rather than convoluted plot and it had the best soundtrack, imo. 4, however, was terrible for all the reasons you just listed.

Side note: wow, didn't expect this thread to get so big. Go me!

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I don't grasp how some people can reflexively and without hesitation or consideration equate wealth with virtue and the lack of wealth with the lack of same.

Not every rich person is a supervillain, of course, and not every poor person is Gandhi. But having wealth is not deserving it, nor an indication that the person is hard-working or wise or deserving of lauds or positions of leadership. And much as we hate to admit it in my country, a rich sociopath with fingers in finance and government can utterly ruin far more lives than a poor one with a gun, and will face far more lenient punishment (if any) in response.

Jon Shannow

Oct 11, 2010
People who donate shitloads of money to help animals when the majority of humanity still lives on a pittance and struggles to get by and many lacking basic human rights

sergnb

Mar 12, 2011
I don't understand why people call me a hipster when they hear the music I listen to.

Just because you don't know it, it doesn't mean I'm trying to go against the mainstream and I dislike everything that is popular. I just happen to like that music.

Replace music with movies/games/books/whatever.

Oh and guys, not everyone that wears "funny clothes" is an attention whore or a hipster. Most are, yes, but not all.

(I don't wear funny clothes but I don't mind people doing it. Of course, when you are on the other side, you hear a lot of shit from almost everyone)

And just to create a little more controversy:

I can't understand the whole My Little Pony subculture thing. Not the show, the show's alright, I mean the obnoxious amount of 25-ish male fangirls it has.

Oh, and religious people that are religious just out of fear of going to hell. This is called Fear mongering, not faith. You are being controlled like sheep.

dudehead

Jul 21, 2008
People who reply to this with the name of a genre of music (sorry Pony-dude on first page.) I used to be like that with rap and hip hop, but then I listen to it and found stuff that was absolutely amazing.

For example this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn2xrkItzu0 The lyrics are beautiful, the instruments are perfect, the the artist is amazing. This one song introduced me to an entirely new world of music.

The same thing happens A LOT with metal, usually followed by people saying it's all screaming and banging pots and pans. This really pisses me off. Not only does a lot of that music require extreme talent, but that's only a minuscule part of "metal." There's so much of it that it seems impossible anyone could think this. Opeth, Agalloch, Woods Of Ypres: all of examples of how metal can be absolutely beautiful.

I see it with classic rock occasionally, too. And techno. I'm kind of an offender with country music, but probably because I haven't heard of it. I love bluegrass, though. And folk.

Also, listen to this and tell me it's not absolutely beautiful. It's black metal, but its so much more. This song still brings tears to my eyes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmoe7wwm4HM

Edit: I wish I could do one on people who respond to this with "drugs", as well.