No Multiplayer in Prototype

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
No Multiplayer in Prototype

Radical Entertainment's Tim Bennison confirmed that the upcoming Prototype would be focused entirely on the singleplayer experience.

Bennison, who is the executive producer for Prototype, told VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/04/21/confirmed-prototype-fully-focused-on-single-player/] that "Prototype is 100 percent focused on a great single-player experience," and hence would not include any sort of multiplayer, whether online or offline.

"The game is an origin story that weaves a government conspiracy around the main character of Alex Mercer, and we really need to get those elements perfect," Bennison elaborated. Naturally, in a multiplayer game where players have to contend not just with the AI and level design - as how the creators originally envisioned it - but with the actions of at least one other human being, these things are harder to control.

Nor does the Radical team have to worry about balancing Alex Mercer's abilities for a multiplayer setting: "The biggest benefit of focusing purely on single-player is the team's ability to really maximize the over-the-top powers and abilities of Alex's shape-shifting and combat skills ... The first time a player throws a corrupt Blackwatch soldier into the blades of an attack chopper, we think they'll have a big smile on their face."

I can see Bennison's point, and to be honest, it makes sense. The very premise of Prototype - in the title itself - is that Alex is a ... well, he's a prototype. He's the only one of his kind. Balance issues aside, it'd be an odd break in immersion to have two prototypes running around wreaking havoc.

On the other hand, multiplayer - whether competitive or co-op - is being increasingly more crucial to how games are received these days. Might Prototype's lack of multiplayer hurt it in the eyes of the masses?

Prototype is scheduled for release on June 12th for PC, Xbox 360, and PS3.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
scarbunny said:
Thank god for that.

Not every game needs mulitplayer!
but it does mean the single player has to be that much more awesome to justify the pricetag

scarbunny

Beware of geeks bearing gifs.
Aug 11, 2008
Cousin_IT said:
scarbunny said:
Thank god for that.

but it does mean the single player has to be that much more awesome to justify the pricetag
I guess, but Id rather tham spend time fininshing the single player than trying to shoe horn a crap multiplayer mode in because everyone else does it.

Bioshock didnt need it, so it didnt have it no problem.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
Cousin_IT said:
scarbunny said:
Thank god for that.

True, but I like how they havent decided to tack on a half finished multiplayer just to bulk the game out like some companies do.

Won't be long after release though when people start asking for multiplayer, they did the same with Fallout 3.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
Actually, there is going to be co-op fable 2 style. But only if they finish the single player and have enough time left over to install it.

rawlsku

Jan 4, 2009
I sure hope it's good, the concept seems awesome and the powers look great. And gore :D

Hopes up for great mod-ability, for pc at least, maybe extending to a multiplayer mod, a-la San Andreas.

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
Lullabye said:
Actually, there is going to be co-op fable 2 style.
So, you're just going to say that without any sources? Great reporting, mate.

Anyway, I love the whole concept of Prototype and can't see any good way multiplayer could be put in.

cloudleet

Mar 12, 2009
I think multiplayer would be interesting. Maybe no co-op, but like, play with a friend and just run around and kick each others asses while fighting the military and stuff at the same time.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Unless it was that awesome I think multiplayer should've been included,but some games just don't suit multiplayer i.e. Bioshock.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Not everything needs multiplayer, a game about a completely over-powered crazy main character wouldn't really work multiplayer-wise. I think it's fine that the multiplayer got canned. I still can't wait for this game to come out!

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Well, this means that it won't last me as long as Crackdown and Saint's Row 2 did. Which means that I'm going to rent it and beat it. Looks good, though.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
I would like for there to be multiplayer assuming the PC version won't be getting some big mod community. The only reason I would want it is to just improve the lifetime of the game because "ultimate destruction free roaming" gets old quicker than it should.

Though I already know that if they did put in multiplayer in, or at least put it in early and not release it later, it's gonna be half-assed crap. Though unlike the Bioshock comparison, I can totally see Prototype having multiplayer.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
while i gotta say that i'm totally looking forward to this game, and their logic makes a ton of sense, i just keep thinking about crackdown, and how awesome that multiplayer was. if they could have it done something like that, i'd be incredibly psyched, and would probably find countless more hours to waste on their game.

either way, i'm completely fuckin excited for this game.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Lullabye said:
Actually, there is going to be co-op fable 2 style. But only if they finish the single player and have enough time left over to install it.
I hope not! Now THAT would be tacked on.
Just leave it and spend the extra time tweaking or something.

Plus the Fable 2 Co-op was terrible.

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
scarbunny said:
Cousin_IT said:
scarbunny said:
Thank god for that.

I guess, but Id rather tham spend time fininshing the single player than trying to shoe horn a crap multiplayer mode in because everyone else does it.

Bioshock didnt need it, so it didnt have it no problem.
Spot on, the three of you!

I cannot wait for this game!