No Right Answer: Best Giant Ever: Robots vs Monsters

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Best Giant Ever: Robots vs Monsters

Sometimes pop culture just gives us low-hanging fruit. With a movie like Pacific Rim, how can we not pit robots vs monsters together?

Watch Video

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Gotta go with Giant Monsters. All the best robots are piloted by people, and people suck.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
Chicks dig giant robots, it's gotta be true, it's in a goddamn song.

Also seriously disappointed by the lack of MEGAS in this argument. (Besides the one image.)

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Giant robot all the way! Also Kyle, how can you forget the Cloverfield monster or King Kong?

Jan 12, 2012
Giant Monsters would have won if you struck out from Japanese cinema. There's giant monsters everywhere: Giant spiders, giant sharks, etc. Why? Because we're afraid that someone is gonna spill some radioactive ooze and we'll be up to our eyeballs in nightmare creatures. No one 'accidentally' creates a giant death-bot.

(They do sometimes make giant robots that accidentally turn evil, but they should have seen that coming.)

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
I think Andre the Giant actually counts as a giant monster. At least...that was his schtick in the WWE. (Called the WWF back before the World Wildlife Fund got the derp virus and copyrighted the initials.)

CAPTCHA: hear me roar!

In all lower case? You're doing it wrong, Captcha!

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
The idea that so many of the giant robot examples are built in the image of monsters is a pretty significant point that he made. I wonder why dragons haven't come into play. They are both giant monsters and pilotable.

I also think sentient robots (Iron Giant) significantly outweigh pilotable ones and are, perhaps, both Robots and Monsters in their own right.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Grimlock proves that giant robot dinosaurs are always better than giant monsters.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Giant Robots always win. Why? Because even though they try to be giant monsters, they try to be BETTER giant monsters. What can Godzilla do that Mechagodzilla can't (besides beat Godzilla)? Nothing, you hear me?! NOTHING!

Also, we got two giant robots that will always triumph over giant monsters. They are...

1. The Iron Giant. Nothing beats the Giant. Also it is voiced by Vin Diesel. (Seriously, Iron Giant 2 please!)
2. The MEGAS. To put it simply, the MEGAS is awesomeness roboticized. You would sell your first-born child to the devil to pilot that thing. There is not a person alive who would say "I don't want to pilot the MEGAS." If you do, allow me to give you this certificate that verifies that YOU DO NOT EXIST.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
The lack of EVAs (wich are kinda/sorta monsters themselves), Megas-XLR and Symbionic Titan greatly dissapoints me.

I always digged giant robots more than giant monsters, I've never felt sympathetic for a giant monster before (except maybe King Kong), I just like them as antagonists, a giant punching bag and a great excuse to clean out the dust from our giant robots and take them out for a ride.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
My money is always on Giant Robots. They are just works of fictional art!

all of the Japanese mechas look great. all the lumbering giants of western style mechs look great.

Giant monsters are just ugly :p

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
"Now the interenet is gonna implode and kill me, i never really liked all those giant robots.." -my internet actually crashed right after he said that- XD

Reqviemus

Nov 18, 2009
Fayathon said:

Also seriously disappointed by the lack of MEGAS in this argument. (Besides the one image.)
Actually I was sure Megas would ba a contrargument for the "robots are without personality"

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
You have giant monster hands... yet you took them off. I don't understand why someone, having something as awesome as those, would ever voluntarily remove them.

"You can take my monster hands when you pry them off my cold, dead... no. Nope, changed my mind. Not even then."

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Kyle should win simply for being able to drink while wearing monster hands.

Robots are better 'cause they can do anything than monsters can do, and do it better.

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
Here's how it can be decided. Which ever one is the coolest to fight against wins.

Sure giant robots are cool but it's usually with another giant robot. Giant monsters on the other hand... Shadow of the Colossus anyone?

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
Reqviemus said:
Fayathon said:

Actually I was sure Megas would ba a contrargument for the "robots are without personality"
Robots don't need personality to be awesome, true story.