No Right Answer: Best Giant Ever: Robots vs Monsters

Chris Pranger

Aug 31, 2011
somonels said:
kailus13 said:
somonels said:
kailus13 said:
Kyle should win simply for being able to drink while wearing monster hands.

Robots are better 'cause they can do anything than monsters can do, and do it better.
And Chris dropped his makeshift shaded monocle.
Kyle remains victorious.
What was that thing meant to be anyway? A futuristic eyepatch? A subtle reference that went completely over my head?
Probably something makeshift as he didn't have anything suitable. Reminded me of Jensen's glasses from DX:HR.
To be honest, I'm not exactly sure what it was supposed to be. I grabbed it and thought it'd look all roboty, but it turned out to be harder to keep in my eye than I remember it being when I was in high school.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I doubt that because robots can look like monsters (or animals) is a valid argument for monsters because humans are animals. And if I were to continue that point Humans would win because both monsters & robots have had human like bodies.

But for me Giant Robots ultimately win because
Gundam (08 MS Team, 0083)
Code Geass
Eureka 7
EscaFlowne
Gurren Lagann
Big O
Megas XLR
The Robot in District 9
The Original Steel Battalion on The Original Xbox
MechWarrior
Giant Robots being added to Killzone 2
Giant Robots being added to Halo 4
Titanfall
Dwarven Robots from The Elder Scrolls
Sentinels from X-Men

Giant Monsters on the other hand have yet to fully grab my interest.
I've never cared for the guy in the monster suits that are mostly from Japan.
King Kong suing Donkey Kong was rude (Where's Hong Kong Phooey when you need him?)
I liked Godzilla 1998 but looking back I can see why it was bad.
With that in mind I didn't like Cloverfield for similar reasons.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Robots. giant mosnters just make no sense. them being giatn makes them no longer scary.
Robots however can be any size and and form and still do everything.
giant mosnters dont even make sense frmo biological eprspective. there is no way king king would not fall apaprt when rela physics is applied. such creatures just cant survive in reality. giant robots - no problem - we already got that.

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
I gotta go with the robots on this one.

Especially the older stuff like Mazinger and Getter Robo, I mean this stuff was so over the top and ridiculous that when Gundam came along it was the serious and realistic change in tone for giant robots as a genre. Speaking of gundam, the Crossbones series, space pirate giant robots.

The megadeus from Big O are all pretty great additions as well.

And what about stuff from games? The Metal Gears, the mechs from the various Xeno games, Orbital Frames from Z.O.E, Chrome Hounds or even better the secret weapons of the three countries, Armored Cores, and the various titans of Warhammer 40k.

A good chunk of them are designed strictly for fighting giant monsters from the beyond and they do it excessively well.

Dec 14, 2009
Eh, bad news guys, Pacific Rim ain't too great :(

Also, you mentioned giant robots without mentioning Gurren Lagann?

Rituro

Critwrencha
Sep 18, 2008
Flying skate Canucks jersey, represent! Well done, Kyle.

(Captcha: Pool boy. Allrighty then.)

zvate

Aug 12, 2010
You forgot Dragons... seriously how can you have a giant monster discussion and forget dragons?

Also Dinosaurs, the giant monsters who actually existed. if your tied without these things than monsters clearly win.

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
why not both? i raise to you the pretenders [http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Pretender]
more specifically the decepticon pretender monsters
even more specifically skullgrin who in a bizarre twist of fate became a movie star monster for a brief time

Chris Pranger

Aug 31, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:

But...I did mention Gurren Lagann. I just didn't elaborate on it because I actively "meh" Gurren Lagann.

And where are you hearing that Pacific Rim isn't very good? I've heard nothing but the contrary.

I am so very confused. :(

Dec 14, 2009
Chris Pranger said:
Daystar Clarion said:

But...I did mention Gurren Lagann. I just didn't elaborate on it because I actively "meh" Gurren Lagann.

And where are you hearing that Pacific Rim isn't very good? I've heard nothing but the contrary.

I am so very confused. :(
You didn't mention it enough!

Well, from what I've seen, opinion seems to be divided on the subject. I thought the movie was okay, but I dunno, it just didn't feel like 'enough' to me, like the fights could have been so much more.

It felt restrained.

pretzil

Jan 30, 2010
Okay, I know it might have just been a joke at the end, but seriously, is the escapist getting some kind of advertising fee from Pacific Rim, it seems like all the articles this week have been dedicated to it.

Chris Pranger

Aug 31, 2011
pretzil said:
Okay, I know it might have just been a joke at the end, but seriously, is the escapist getting some kind of advertising fee from Pacific Rim, it seems like all the articles this week have been dedicated to it.
Nah, no advertising fee (at least...none that they've told us about...). This was more an attempt to get a lot of the contributors matching themes for a week, which, without spoiling anything, may become something of a trend in weeks to follow.