No Right Answer: Best Standup Comedian Ever

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
What the hell was the finger thing all about?

As for the contest, probably Frankie Boyle. He's just so damn lowbrow and nasty that I can't help pissing myself with laughter at everything the man says.

ShinobiJedi42

May 7, 2012
Nghtgnt said:
ShinobiJedi42 said:
I would contend that Steve Martin is the greatest comedian of all time... He is a talented musician, writer, actor, comedian, and all around great guy. Carlin can't even touch Steve Martin when it comes to being a Renaissance Man...
While I think it might be a bit outside the parameters of this debate, Steve Martin is definitely a strong contender for best all-around talented guy. He's won various awards for his music, and done a ton of writing. And to really blow your mind, he came up with the idea for, and produced, the movie "Traitor" (staring Don Cheadle). Kind of makes me wonder what else he's done that isn't immediately apparent.
I can understand that. Steve Martin is most known for his acting and writing than his stand-up. But I have three of his four standup albums, so I am a bit biased lol. He also wrote Bowfinger, one of the most cleverly written comedies of all time.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Woodsey said:
Gizmo1990 said:
I don't like Carlin or Cosby but then I am not american so it is possible that I did not get half the jokes when I have watched both of them in the past.
I don't find them funny either. In fact I find Carlin hugely irritating, and Bill Hicks (another one Americans seem to love) isn't funny either.
Hicks wasn't actually that popular in the USA, especially when he was alive. He was huge in England though, something that his friends commented on in the documentary that they found really strange; to them he was just a guy playing shitty clubs to small audiences, then they'd see his UK DVDs and think "holy shit, he's a rock star to those people!"

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
SonicWaffle said:
Woodsey said:
Gizmo1990 said:
I don't like Carlin or Cosby but then I am not american so it is possible that I did not get half the jokes when I have watched both of them in the past.
I don't find them funny either. In fact I find Carlin hugely irritating, and Bill Hicks (another one Americans seem to love) isn't funny either.
Hicks wasn't actually that popular in the USA, especially when he was alive. He was huge in England though, something that his friends commented on in the documentary that they found really strange; to them he was just a guy playing shitty clubs to small audiences, then they'd see his UK DVDs and think "holy shit, he's a rock star to those people!"
Ah, well certainly I've seen his name brought up by quite a few Americans on here. Although now that you mention it, my old History teacher did say he thought he was hilarious.

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
+ 1 vote for Uncle George.

He was my Idol growing up, and my parents let me watch him as young as 12 because my father felt I could learned something from his work, in addition to the laughs. I got married on June 21st 2008, the day before he died. I guess the Laws of equivilent exchange work in real life as well.

I'll miss you George. but I know that you are down there right now... screaming up at us. and I know you are in severe pain.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Woodsey said:
SonicWaffle said:
Woodsey said:
Gizmo1990 said:
Ah, well certainly I've seen his name brought up by quite a few Americans on here. Although now that you mention it, my old History teacher did say he thought he was hilarious.
He was popular with more than just history teachers. Observe my mad copy-paste-from-Wikipedia skills!

On February 25, 2004, British MP Stephen Pound tabled an early day motion titled "Anniversary of the Death of Bill Hicks" (EDM 678 of the 2003-04 session), the text of which reads:

That this House notes with sadness the 10th anniversary of the death of Bill Hicks, on 26th February 1994, at the age of 33 [sic]; recalls his assertion that his words would be a bullet in the heart of consumerism, capitalism and the American Dream; and mourns the passing of one of the few people who may be mentioned as being worth [sic] of inclusion with Lenny Bruce in any list of unflinching and painfully honest political philosophers.[41]

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
of those two, Carlin.
never really been a big fan of Cosby

but there's also
Ron White
Bill Hicks
Christopher Titus
Eddie Izard.
and...

my inability to pick one i like best

Saw767

Aug 13, 2011
Definitely George Carlin for me. You know, we've gone a whole page in a thread without a clip from Carlin, so here we fuckin' go, with one of my favorite bits 'A List Of People Who Ought to Be Killed': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=limc_mfDZJU&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL59C2F0FC32F7CC6C

My top 5:
1.George Carlin
2.Lewis Black
3.Bill Maher
4.Patton Oswalt
5.Lisa Lampanelli

Pariahwulfen

Mar 23, 2010
Scrustle said:
*snip*
I like George Carlin but not that much. From what I've seen his material doesn't seem to be that varied. That might just be because the range on Youtube is a bad representation of his work but I'm not really convinced he's as good as people say he is. I've seen almost nothing of Bill Cosby and what I have seen tends to be making fun of how crap he is, so I don't see how he can be considered best comedian ever.
*snip*
And while I'm at it I might as well say something that will piss of a lot of people and prove my first point. I hate Ricky Gervais. He's an unfunny dick whose "comedy" consists of nothing but awkward pauses. His popularity is completely undeserved. Also Russell Brand. Fuck that arrogant prick.
If you want to get an actual feel for Carlin, then I'd recommend finding his old shows in their entirety (for this reason we may all praise Netlfix...), I'd personally rank him near the top simply because the man managed to stay funny for so damn long, and managed to change his act to "keep with the times". Now Cosby, old Cosby standup is excellent, and almost devoid of the things that everyone over emphasizes with in their impressions. To put it simply, the man has not aged well over the past two decades. For the last part, I'd argue that Gervais can be funny in certain situations, but not all the time, and I agree on Brand.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Of the two, it's Carlin.

How did they get an even number of points? Does having a long running TV comedy really prove his standup prowess?

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Of the two, Carlin. But, for the best ever, I'm going with George Burns.

He did vaudeville, radio, television and movies. Truly, a man before his time.

Mortamus

The Talking Dead
May 18, 2012
If I had to pick between those two, definately George Carlin.
If I had to pick my personal favorite, it would be Robin Williams.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
The_Emperor said:
he didnt make me laugh though it was a funny story

definitely way below those other comedian you listed.

humour is subjective though so.
To each his own I 'spose. It's OK if you don't like Titus, but I freakin' love him. He rarely curses on stage (not that I mind cursing, but some comedians rely way too much on it) and he always seems to give it his all. I'd love to see him live sometime.

gNetkamiko said:
lmao

Omg I had entirely forgotten about Christopher Titus! Thx for posting that vid. ^.^
You're welcome. :D

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
As much as I love me some George Carlin, gotta go with Bill Cosby on this one. Cosby just trancends the ages and the age groups and has that clean sense of humour that makes him unique. I like the curse filled humour when it's done right, but Cosby struck a chord. I mean several chords.

Also, Chris, English Major you say? May I politely ask why?