No Right Answer: Best X-Men Member Ever

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
I'd have to say Gambit was way more of an X-men icon to me than Beast ever was. I mean - Beast, okay sure yes he's blue and furry and strong and smart and that's all great - but if he wasn't actually that first part he'd just be some guy at a university somewhere doing pretty much exactly what he typically does for the X-men anyway - being smart.

I notice none of the ladies were considered - for shame too with the "and X-women I suppose" shame shame shame.

Especially when Rouge is clearly the most awesome of the X-men (not in the movies, that was a travesty) simply because she can borrow any power she wants to whenever she wants to and the romance with Gambit pushes it over into the win for sure. Jean also pretty up there on the charts for me - she's even more powerful than Prof. X in some instances I mean, c'mon! Also - the great neglected one who I think we forget just because she was played by that one actress that screwed up Cat Woman so badly - Storm. Totally the bedrock of the school in so many ways she's Prof. X's right hand woman and there's definitely some tension there between them I think.

Wolverine... sorry to say it, but I just didn't think he was all that great. Cool, sure, but not really great to me.

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
Wolverine- "Snikt"
Hulk- "Smash"
Spiderman- "Thwip"
Nightcrawler- "Bamf"

Nightcrawler is BAMF. End of discussion.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
While I have to say I like Gambit more than Beast, I think Chris put up the better argument.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
I don't love Wolverine. He's cool and all, but he is just waaaaaaaaaaaaay overused. It's come to a point where I don't know if he's a fan favorite because he's in everything and people just recognize him the most and Marvel wants to draw in the audience, or he's actually in everything because fans actually want him in there. If I remember right, unless Wolvie has developed a secondary astral projection power, he couldn't be everywhere he's supposed to be at the same time. Power wise, Nightcrawler and Storm have vastly more interesting powers.

Of course, in this debate Gambit wins for me, as my avatar can tell you. He's suave, he's fun, he has a very versatile power: heat, blast, time-delayed bombs, light, haste -as in agility-, and time-travel when supercharged (though they're really pushing it on plausibility on that last one). Also, his resourcefulness makes up for the things he can't do with this power. He'll either blow you up or trick and pull a fast one on you. That is genuine threat. For a lot of other X-men, you take their powers away and they're lost. Gambit can still get away with it by just being him and his thieving ways. Aaaaand, he can wear fuscia body armor and still be da-man, so suck it, bitches. :)

Also, Chris, you're wrong. Gambit literally has the power to be cool. It's been stated that he emits some sort of low-level psychic...thing...that makes him much more attractive. Call it mutant powered charm. So, no cookie there for Beast, who by the way introduced me to the word "notwithstanding" that as non-native English speaker seemed awfully important.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
If Wolverine is so good how come he can't make a decent movie huh?

I'm a little sorry there was no love for the ladies, the X-Men (obvious joke) have pretty much the best female superhero cast of them all. Jean Grey, Kitty, Rogue, Storm (I guess. She's kinda interesting right?). (My vote would be for Rogue or Kitty)

I don't know who I'd give it to. My X-Men exposure isn't great and Beast comes off as really boring and one-note I feel with a little exposure. He opens his mouth and it's a bit 'okay, he looks like a beast and he acts posh. I get it.' And that's with the first word. When he goes on with a whole sentence I just really want to stop and move on to another idea. Gambit is more legitimately cool

Blacharrt

Apr 25, 2011
Out of all of the X-men, you pick Beast and Gambit... what the holy he!! were you thinking??? Also saying that Wolverine is the Best X-men, you are out of your mind. Even when he's suppose to be committed to them he's doing it half heartedly because he is almost every other major Marvel book there is to try and raise sales.

If you actually read comics recently, Wolverine a pathetic sack, trying to actually tell people they should make more moral decisions while having his death squad (go around killing people) he's a hypocrite. Then in his own series it highlights how much of a complete j@ck@$$ he is by displaying how many lives he ruined and ended with him killing his own kids... Somehow you paint him as the best x-men, when the going gets tough for the x-men and mutant kind, he packs up and leaves. You're lack of knowledge on this astonishes me, and if you are aware of it, wow you should stop pretending he's this great character.

Now between the two Gambit and Beast, Beast is essentially and has been background furniture for the x-men for a very long time, even when he has leadership roles at the school he is completely inconsequencial to the plot. His powers was super intelligence with acrobatic ability and strenght when his second mutation kicked in he became more cat like, Sage further moved this along but it just enhanced his physical abilities even further, but it did not make him smarter or more essential to the x-men. When it was time to choose between the x-men and the Avengers he picked the Avengers... yet you say he's the better of the two. Ultimate x-men Beast, or Dark Beast is far more interesting then 616 Beast.

Gambit's history, loyality and interactions with the x-men is much richer than beast by far. From his introduction and relationship with Storm when she was deaged, his thief background, history with sinister tampering with his dna, his power to charm those who don't know he has this ability. His amazing agility and speed, the fact that he can kinetically charge any non-living thing is amazing. What's more amazing about him is that Mr. Sinister actually purposely limited his ability to kinetically charge organic materials. Not to mention the fact that he could be the fourth Summers child due to Sinister, and his relationship with messing with the Summer's genes. Also you have the aspect of Gambit being Death, a title that Wolverine and him shared as one of the four horsemen of Apocalypse, and where he even tried to over throw Magik the ruler of Limbo. His sorted romance with Rogue, was great for the first couple years, you know when Rogue actually had a backbone and a edge. Now she's just a cry baby and should just marry Magneto, breed then fade into the background.

Was Beast one of the original yeah, does that mean he has done a lot for the x-men over the years not really, is he even relevent to them "nope". Dr. Nemesis is much more interesting and far more brillant than Beast. Scott has always been the one most devoted to the x-men even more so than Jean, and if you haven't picked up a x-comic in the last 2 or so years i would suggest you do that. Because he has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt even more so than Charles or Magneto as far as where his loyalities lay, that's with the x-men. He has gone above and beyond to lead and provide for not only the mutant race in protecting them but also the human race before the Avenger ruined everything. Scott is the real winner here.

So of all the people in the X-men you should do this again with either more essential characters in the X-men roster, like Charles, Jean, Storm, Scott,Colossus,Kitty Pride, Rachel Summers, Nightscrawler, Psylock, Rogue, Cable, Bishop,Julibee, and Sage (is the most underrated of all the x-men and I think scarificed much more than most) who have done much more for the x-men than wolverine, gambit, or beast.

But for those people saying Jean, there is a good reason that people don't want her back in comics, and she should really stay dead. Jean is one of the worst, more maladramatic characters in the x-men franchise history. People love Maddie way more than Jean, and was glad when the goblin force kicked the phoenix forces's A$$.

Apr 5, 2008
Unfortunately, there is most certainly a correct answer here. It is of course, Gambit. Any other response would be incorrect. Gambit is the coolest XMan by far. His charm, his cool powers, his staff and combat style, his cajun accent...put simply, Gambit > All and they should bloody make an Origins movie for him dammit!

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
Beast really is the quintessential X-Man and I definitely agree with his choice.

Gambit, on the other hand..I don't know. Sure he's cool, but he's just not that great a character. And he gets away with betraying the team way too many times to be reasonable. It's like betraying the team and pining after Rogue are the only things he knows how to do. And the Gambit fangirls. Oh god, the fangirls.

Also, "Wolverine is in the Avengers." Yeah, but Beast did it first.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Well, dang, I thought Beast won this one until the end, when you declared Wolverine the winner despite not being there? Huh? I don't get the loner schtick of his now that he's on so many teams. I like Beast because of how Warren Ellis wrote him, as a super-smart chatterbox who will happily explain complicated concepts to you, even if you didn't ask. And as an ass-kicker.

Mr_Terrific

Oct 29, 2011
Scott Summers or Magneto would be my choice, followed by Storm and Rogue.

Beast...probably the most dull Xmen/Avenger ever and is there solely to be the brainy one. How and why he's an Avenger is beyond me. My only guess is there's some sort of affirmative action for mutants that allowed him to slip in. Stark and Black Panther make Beast a pointless Avenger. Gambit is a complete tool and has always been. His ability isn't even that cool or unique within the Marvel universe (David North aka Nord)...and he's a thief. Someone mentioned it earlier, but he's not even as cool as his girlfriend...

Perhaps I don't quite understand the premise of this web show. Are they joking or serious? Or a little of both. Either way, I almost always say "wtf" with their selections for debate.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Although i'd say Beast sums up what the X-Men are about, I went gay for Gambit as a kid, im not gonna lie his romance with Rouge is the main reason I watched the 90's cartoon. Don't misunderstand, the show had other great stuff, thats just what I remember the most fondly.

Wolverines cool, he's not really an X-Men and i'd say that for any other team he's in to as the guy just can't play well with others. He's still cool though.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Best X-Men member? Of all members??? Well...
In all seriousness, however, I would have to say either Cyclops or Magneto...

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
bdcjacko said:
Morph, cause I am a snarky asshole.
Yes, such a rich character with unresolved issues and struggling on the path of redemption
How he cannot be the best X-Men?

ascorbius

Numberwanger
Nov 18, 2009
Maybe I'm just in a bad mood.. but if this is a contest about who can talk the most and not give the other a word in edgewise, yeah, Beast won.

Kyle needs to step up and stop Chris from stealing the stage at every possible opportunity.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
I have to go with none of the above from the video. I also couldn't rank my favorites either....but the Top 5 would have to be: X-23, Surge, Storm, Professor Xavier and Magneto.

Mortamus

The Talking Dead
May 18, 2012
Thoroughly enjoyed this one, although I must admit that I was rooting for Beast. However, I was heavily distracted by the Zoolander DVD just chilling behind ya'll.

That gives me an idea.

Best Weird Movie Ever!

Blacharrt said:
Really BIG snip
Whoa, easy on the wall of text there buddy. It's a debate for entertainment. No one here is actually trying to have an argument.

Alaster Angelo

Jul 12, 2010
Yeah, I'd have to agree with those that say Magneto is the best member. Cyclops is a close second for me, though.