No Right Answer: Best X-Men Member Ever

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Aptspire said:
Best X-Men member? Of all members??? Well...
In all seriousness, however, I would have to say either Cyclops or Magneto...
That would be a great answer, except he was never a member of X-Men. He was a member of X-Force, but never a member of X-Men.

I'm actually a pretty big fan of some of the more odd choices for X-Men, like Dazzler, Pixie, and the most powerful X-Man of all time, Iceman. He hasn't actually learned the full extent of his powers, and most people probably won't figure it out, but if they decide to run him at his actual full power, nothing could stop him. Negative Entropy is the ultimate extent of his powers. Once he gets there, it's just over.

Gunjester

Mar 31, 2010
The Tall Nerd said:
gambit is a terrible x man
why do you like him, all the best xmen serve alternative functions outside of xmen he is just some crappy cajin character with a crappy power, that they do nothing with
You done your period yet?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Funny given the comments under the video, as Ice Man would also have been my choice for this debate. :)

That said Wolverine is in a league of his own as few comic characters have taken off quite as well as he has, and endured quite as long. While numerous X-men have come close to his popularity, I don't think any of them have maintained it for nearly as long, and I'd even go so far as to say he's probably one of the most recognized Marvel characters in general, he comes to mind almost immediatly when Marvel comes up alongside other characters like Spider Man.

If I had to defeat "Wolverine is the coolest" X-man arguement, I'd argue that by becoming so iconic and mainstream he effectively lost the abillity to be cool. To be truely cool requires a sort of fringe prescence that he doesn't have any more.

Ice Man was kind of the original joker/outsider of the group, who had the whole cocky "does not play well with others" thing going. What's more he winds up being on and off the team for various reasons, either the team having issues with him, or vice versa. When Ice Man shows up though you generally know things are going to get awesome... in part because he's one of the most powerful mutants there is (one of the few that was ranked as Omega class or whatever it was) even if it's not always as obvious as say Jean Grey (with her own powers, not considering Pheonix possession) because he so rarely uses little things like complete and total control of water molecules and the abillity to freeze them. It rarely comes up, but in a few occasions where he used his potential it was so god awful nasty that I'd imagine he's written out because writers just don't know what to do with the character. I think it was established at one point that even his fear of melting is irrelevent since he can pretty much reform from ambient moisture.

It's been quite a while, but basically there is the old "superman throws all of his problems into the sun" thing potentially at hand, since unless it's a divine class threat if Ice Man ever decids to remember he could say freeze all the water in someone's body (or just their brain) instead of making constructs it's pretty much over.

Overall, I think Ice Man is pretty much the "James Dean" of the crew. :)

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
I would have said Iceman, but that dude was so bloody cheese in the Marvel vs Capcom series, it's hard to forgive him in spite of being awesome.

Cable is clearly awesome but to my knowledge never actually joined the X-Men official. He teamed up with them, led spin-off teams and such, but was never actually an X-Man.

Wolverine... meh. Yeah, there's some neat stuff going on around him, but he's basically just Connor McCloud without the "holy warrior/tournament" mythos. An immortal dude who hasn't quite gotten sick of living yet (like Apocalypse).

I always liked Bishop, or at least Bishop's powers... and, like Cable, I love a good time travel story.

As far as outright "best": Mimick. He is literally all of the X-Men combined.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
GamemasterAnthony said:
Oh god...I lost at the beginning of that.

"Wolverine vs. Wolverine...wait a tic..."

That nearly had me on the floor.

Personally, I definitely agree with Wolverine...although for my money, Nightcrawler is also a contender.
I love Nightcrawler

TWEWYFan

Mar 22, 2012
Beast is easily my favorite X-man, even surpassing Wolverine. He's smart, strong, easily one of the more likeable X-men. Besides, he's probably close to Wolverine in terms of team membership, including beating him to the Avengers.

Contradiction

May 20, 2009
Magenera said:
What is this shit. I don't see the Mutant Messiah? Not worshipping the Mutant Messiah, and admitting him as the best X-Men member ever? You need to bask in his light and see the error of your ways. For Cyclops was right.

Just the best X-Man coming through, oh and if any Avenger fan says Scott was wrong, just no, that even the writers, and editors says Scott was right
http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?429893-Nick-Lowe-quot-Who-the-hell-came-up-with-Hope-carrying-buckets-of-water-!-quot
My man. Finally someone with excellent taste. Has someone perhaps been lurking 'Scott was Right' threads eh?
X gon give it to ya

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
Yeah I can't really argue with the results or add anything to the debate so I'll just say the following things:
-I really liked this week's shirts and Dan's choices for pictures

-Will there be a Halloween episode next week?

rayen020

May 20, 2009
I think Tony Stark had it right.

Tony; "search all people with contact to venom symbiote."
Computer/jarvis; " Eddie Brock, Mac Gargan, Flash Thompson, Peter Parker, Logan(Wolverine)..."
Tony; "Damn, is there anything Wolverine hasn't done?"

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
I used to have a metaphorical hard on for Wolverine, but I can't stand the character anymore. To say he's overexposed would be an understatement. I think the breaking point for me was X-23, a female clone of Wolverine. (Or she was at the time, don't know if she still is. This is Marvel, after all - who the heck knows what's going to be true in the future for the characters.)

I don't have a favourite X-Man. I lean slightly toward Cyclops when he's not moping over Jean Grey. I found myself quite enjoying Shadowcat/Kitty Pride in the last decade, though that may be more her interaction with Emma Frost. Jean Grey is another one that I find myself liking at times, though too often she was turned into a damsel in distress for Cyclops and Wolverine to fight over the opportunity to save. Bobby Drake/Iceman is a character that I've wanted to like, and wanted to see something done with him but I'm always left disappointed in the creative uses for him. (Except Age of Apocalypse. I loved him in AoA)

If I'm allowed to use AoA then I've got a tie between Sabertooth and Blink. That was a dynamic that I loved. Heck, can I just say "AoA" as my favourite X-Man?

balberoy

Aug 19, 2011
I would go with Gambit too.

Beast is all cool and he is a genius after all but in recent years the X-Men changed. They are not the goody goody twoe shoes they once were. Gambit really proposes this.

His "ex"girlfriend xxxxs with Magneto and he still wants her to come back.
The world still hates the X-Men but they still try to change the mindset.

And it was mentioned before, Gambit is DEATH from the horsemena of the apokalypse,
he still is since today.

And the story from X 23 and Gambit as something like her foster father just adds to his awesomeness.

Beast is a relatevly straight forward charakter. There is nothing wrong with it, he feels very natural and is great. But in terms of sheer backround, story, motivation and his nearly unlimitless powers Gambit is far more interesting.

Gambit even once was strapped to an interdimensional gate to let an invasion army conquer earth! His powers are nearly limitless.

There is just one question I have in mind, when Gambit can produce unlimited power, why don't they use him as a powersource for new utopia? Instead Magneto has to use his powers everytime, silly.

So long

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
As someone who grew up watching the old 90's cartoon, I am going to have to go with Gambit. Even over Wolverine. I liked Wolverine, that was never in doubt. But the second I saw Gambit throw those cards, that was that.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Wolverine sucks. Wolverine has always sucked. People in here are complaining about Nightcrawler being one dimensional, a religous zealot, Wolverine is just as if not more one dimensional. He's nothing but a rage monster, a Hulk with metal claws only without the David Banner side. Take away his anger and rage and you take away the essence of what wolverine is. He is his anger and that's it.

I don't know why everyone is so obsessed with the worst x-man ever.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Wolverine is always the right answer. To everything. In the world.

And don't try to counter this argument because Wolverine.

Brad Gardner

Jun 5, 2012
I never liked Wolverine that's just me. My favorite X-man is Nightcrawler. You want to talk about the irony of Beast. Nightcrawler is a devil looking thing that is a devoted Catholic and forgives all who hates him for the way he looks.

His powers are the best: Teleportation with a cloud of surfer, super agility, able to grab with his hand feet and tail, sticks to walls, can hide in shadow. Moreover, he knows how to use a sword and has combat medic training.