No Right Answer: Is Sexy Bad?

Rahkshi500

May 25, 2014
Mcoffey said:
One brick in my yard isn't going to keep anyone off my property, but a lot of bricks makes for a pretty good wall. It's the same thing here. And if the wall needs to come down, and it does, then the best way to do it is one brick at a time. There's no wrecking ball for institutionalized sexism.
Not entirely against your overall argument, but this is a false analogy right here. Work places are a public domain and public property. Your yard is private property. One brick in your yard isn't going to keep any off your property, but unless you actually invited those people, then those people are intruding onto your private property without your permission, which is a no. If a wall of bricks needs to come down, it's for the purpose of setting up a better wall to keep intruders out.

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
Rahkshi500 said:
cleric of the order said:
It was his friends thing, Its like when your nan makes you a sweater, you're going to have to wear it in a time like that
Or maybe he could've wore it before or after the whole presentation was over.
Nah, how i think he thought was, I'm a smart guy, I'm at the top of my career, this is the crowning achievement of my life and my friend, she just gave me a great shirt she designed. I'd wear it for that occasion it's special.
I know I was joking before at no point I'd ever say to myself, man people are going to care about my shirt, this coloured piece of cloth surrounding my upper half.
And the man definitely did not deserve the harassment he , poor guy.

Apr 25, 2009
I just love how something as amazing as landing a fucking man made object on a FUCKING COMET, a mission that had been 10 years in the making has been ignored and brought down to what piece of meat someone has between their legs and the fact a man had some drawings of sexy girls on the piece of cloth he wore on his upper body, you fucking pathetic little monkeys. Go back to sharpening sticks and worshipping the sun.

Plus you ruined the best day of that guy's life. Fuck you.

Oct 20, 2010
It's a Jolly good job the bastard wasn't wearing a Fedora or the Crater from his being Nuked from orbit, dare say Femin-Nuked would last for all time.

Tongue in cheek, get over yorselves.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
Here's a simple rule that I've recently designed based on all the things that have been happening lately, and it's served me well.

Does the content of this movie/book/game/show/shirt/etc. have anything that could possibly arouse or sexually interest a straight male? If yes, then it IS sexist.

Does the content of this movie/book/game/show/shirt/etc. have anything that could possibly arouse or sexually interest a straight woman, gay male, gay woman, or anyone else you'd like to add? If yes OR no, then it is NOT sexist.

Apr 25, 2009
LysanderNemoinis said:
Here's a simple rule that I've recently designed based on all the things that have been happening lately, and it's served me well.

Does the content of this movie/book/game/show/shirt/etc. have anything that could possibly arouse or sexually interest a straight male? If yes, then it IS sexist.

Does the content of this movie/book/game/show/shirt/etc. have anything that could possibly arouse or sexually interest a straight woman, gay male, gay woman, or anyone else you'd like to add? If yes OR no, then it is NOT sexist.
So why the fuck can't anything be made to tailor to a specific audience on a sexual level without being called 'sexist' in your eyes?

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Getting directly to the question at hand, "sexy" is a tool. Like a hammer, maybe? You can build bridges with it, or you can smash in someone's skull. It can be a symbol of hope, or one of oppression. It's all in how it's used, and who it's used for.

Honestly, if people are upset, then maybe you're swinging it at people a bit too much.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
Digi7 said:
LysanderNemoinis said:

So why the fuck can't anything be made to tailor to a specific audience on a sexual level without being called 'sexist' in your eyes?
Methinks you missed the joke. It was to point out that everyone but a straight guy could wear/watch/play/read anything and not be made to feel bad about it, but if a straight male like myself enjoys anything of a sexual nature, then apparently I hate women and only view them as sexual objects.

roelani

It's all squid lickin' good.
Jun 29, 2009
LysanderNemoinis said:

I hope that was sarcasm. I mean, I'm fairly certain it was sarcasm. Right? Surely you're not suggesting that anything that directly appeals or is meant to sexually interest a particular gender/sexual orientation (in this case, straight men) is inherently sexist? While everyone else is fair game? Because if that's the case, then that is a clear example of a really ugly double standard.

EDIT: Lysander, sorry! I see you responded to someone else before I posted this and it was actually sarcasm. Phew. :) Ignore the above paragraph then.

Regardless, I found the guy's shirt completely adorkable, in a comic-book geek sort of way, and while it might not have been 100% appropriate (It's basically a hawaiian shirt, right? That all-over printed design kind of shirt? Way too casual for a conference/interview of that magnitude, even a fashion newb like me can see that) the backlash the guy got was, in my mind, completely inappropriate.

The internet P.C. watchdogs have reduced one of the brightest people of the nation to a teary mess, on camera. The occasion that should've been the crowning achievement of his career became a P.R. nightmare over a custom-made hawaiian shirt. Congratulations, SocJus Police, congratulations. Incidentally, the narrative that got pushed out was also indirectly harming their obvious agenda to get more women into STEM fields, by making it seem probably a hell of a lot more sexist than it actually is. Of course, when people twist definitions like "sexist" and "harrassment" to include just tons of stuff they generally disagree with, it becomes difficult to actually know exactly what the heck they're angry about. And to discern just how "true" any given statement might be.

I disagree SO MUCH with the way the media handled the backlash, publishing and re-publishing the click-baity whining of people with too much time on their hands and too high of a soapbox to stand on. But hey, once again, I'm sure all that ad revenue was worth it. It's not like they had a huge story about the technological intricacies of landing a man-made object on a moving comet for the first time in history to cover or anything.

Also, that shirt with the cowboys is awesome. I'd prefer knights, though.

sexy=sexist

Sep 27, 2014
Ikajo said:
Sex isn't bad. Sexy isn't bad. Sexualization is.
Not to be rude but that sounds like a meaningless definition that most people will reject.

Ikajo said:
What's the distinction between "sexy" and "sexualization" one might ask. It has to with subversiveness, subjectivity and agency.
This is going to be good...

Ikajo said:
Sexualization falls in to this. A woman or a man can be sexy if they make the choice themselves, giving them agency. Pushing the perception of sexy upon someone on the other hand is sexualization.
:sigh: This is silly. A person can be sexy if they decide to be sexy, but finding someone else attractive is sexualization and wrong/bad? Do you know how silly this is? This can't be what you mean right?

Ikajo said:
If you would look at the character Bayonetta which tend to pop-up during these discussions. Her character falls under the "sexy" epithet, she has chosen her sexual expression. However, the camera is sexualizing her, the quite intimate shots of her body and weird angles is the reason. So she's stripped of some of her agency and is reduced to mere object despite a character design set out to give the impression of sexy. A character design intended to convey agency over her sexuality.
Yep that is exactly what you mean but worse. Bayonetta can't even chose to be sexy because of the male gaze of the camera now.
listen I am sorry to pick on you, but were did you get this idea about sex and sexualization?

Apr 25, 2009
LysanderNemoinis said:
Digi7 said:
LysanderNemoinis said:

Methinks you missed the joke. It was to point out that everyone but a straight guy could wear/watch/play/read anything and not be made to feel bad about it, but if a straight male like myself enjoys anything of a sexual nature, then apparently I hate women and only view them as sexual objects.
Ah okay, apologies. I was mad and that went over my head, although the things some people believe just astound me these days.

sexy=sexist

Sep 27, 2014
Mcoffey said:
You can't back up a subjective argument with facts. You're missing the point a bit. This one instance of a douchey shirt is not doing anything. It's a thousand thousand incidents stacked up over the years. It's men wearing douchey shirts, and men being hired over women consistently over a long period of time, and the women that are hired being isolated and excluded in a male-dominated workplace.
Yet if history is any indication people might be annoyed over men being hired over women. Women being isolated, and excluded will all take a back seat to the real issue... anything involving sex will pretty much be more important then the rest of that.

Bocaj2000

Sep 10, 2008
Is sexy bad? That depends if you're an anti-sex feminist or a pro-sex feminist. The anti-sex feminist would say that it is objectifying and symbolizes an oppressive patriarchy. The pro-sex feminist would say that sexuality is a beautiful thing and should never be shamed or censored.

Would Shirtgate happen if it was a woman wearing a shirt with a bunch of naked, sexy men? What if it was a homosexual (male or female) wearing one? Personally, I believe that the sides would be flipped, and SJWs would be defending the minority's freedom of expression.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
You know, the shirt thing reminds me of how pissed off I am at my mother when she refuses to use the walmart checker with the nose ring. It in no way impacts the job, but never let that stop someone from being judgmental based on appearance.

The shirt gets called inappropriate for work because we as a society still hold to the BS idea that professionals wear suits. He also can't have tattoos, piercings aside from an earing (and that's a maybe), dye his hair the color of an anime character, have facial scars, or anything that goes away from our view of a professional in a suit and tie. The logic isn't far removed from the idea that he'd also have to be a he or a certain skin color and sexual orientation to be taken seriously. Bitching about the shirt just shows how far we haven't gotten in judging people by their actions, not how they look.

Of course that denies the fact that for many, it's the shirt, not the shirt at the workplace they're really attacking (bet you anything that if it was just a tacky Hawaiian shirt, no one would care), and they're just trying to not come off like people demanding their morals be adhered to by others. The reality is sexy and sexist is in the eye of the beholder, and there's no universal standard for offensive, so I fall on the side of not setting any precedent about taking actions to avoid offending people, because there's always someone with harsher standard than you. My above mentioned mother hates foul language, sex, violence, and her parents go further with religious standards upset about anything that goes against the bible. Fortunately, that just means they don't watch much TV.

The guy landed something on a comet, and he can come out in Sailor Moon cosplay for all I care.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Okay... first and foremost, it was a tacky and unprofessional shirt choice, bringing up classical art in comparison to it or rockstars in comparison to him is a bit of a false equivalency, now was it sexist... ehh... if it was, then it's only a minor symptom, not the disease itself, more the result of a lack of thought than any actual intent to be a dick.