No Right Answer: Worst Comic Book Death Ever

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
citrusfr00t said:
I think all comic book deaths are lame, because of the fact that they always come back, it just gets redundant after awhile...

except for the Ultimate Universe, where spiderman actually died and it was flippen awesome.
You should read the Teen Titans. Outside of the main ones (and really its mostly just Raven and Nightwing), anyone who dies in there generally stays dead. They also die a lot. A. Lot. The Titans have a bigger death ratio than the entirety of the Justice League combined.

Edit - Old Titans. Not the new stuff. The new Teen Titans from the reboot are fuckin terrible.

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
Andrew_C said:
The pointless, totally against character way DC killed Big Barda and the rest of The New Gods. One of the reasons I no longer read comics.
I was wondering when someone would bring up Big Barda.

I'm going to add all the Women in Refrigerators to the list.
RJ 17 said:
I'm not huge into comics, but a friend of mine who goes by the name of PKB tells me that in one story, Superman literally grabs the fabric of reality and moves the entire frickin' galaxy....

Yeah, if that's true, fuck Superman. There's being a deus ex machina character and then there's just straight up bullllllllllllllllllllllllshit.
That was probably a Silver Age story. Before Crisis On Infinite Earths, Superman had unlimited strength, speed, toughness, and pretty much any other power he wanted.

If you want to read an interesting Superman story, try Superman Red Son.

Alaster Angelo

Jul 12, 2010
citrusfr00t said:
I think all comic book deaths are lame, because of the fact that they always come back, it just gets redundant after awhile...

except for the Ultimate Universe, where spiderman actually died and it was flippen awesome.
Not all of them. Read on up on the death of Skurge the Executioner here:

http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/2036544.html

He died an amazing and emotional death, and he hasn't come back since.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Knightfall should be disqualified for not really killing Batman; that happened in Batman:R.I.P. and Final Crisis. Personally, I think the worst comic book death is one that's just hallow, token, and manipulative just for shock value, and not really meaningful. Like in last year's FEAR ITSELF when
Bucky Barnes ended his run as Captain America when the Skadi-possessed Sin/Red Skull stabbed him in the chest with her hammer and he seemingly died, and Steve Rogers became Cap again. But he's OK now, back on his feet as the Winter Soldier after nick Fury gave up the last of his Infinity Formula to save his life.
If a superhero must die, it should be while doing something cool and heroic.

Jodski

Jun 22, 2011
Me thinks someone is sleeping with Dan to get his way, like 85% of the time.

Oct 30, 2010
Batman was never supposed to die. You may as well claim any number of issues were the worst death(s) of Batman. Knightfall was also a terrible Batman getting preggers story. And a terrible Batman murders Santa Claus story...

Azrael had a 100 issue series. That doesn't count as fallout, something lasting in canon?

And why would people compare Final Crisis to Death of Superman? Batman wasn't supposed to (and didn't) die there either.

empirialtank

Jan 22, 2010
kiri2tsubasa said:
Lian Harper. Cry for Justice pissed me off so much.
you and Linkara

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/linkara/at4w/29537-justice-league-cry-for-justice-5-7

just gonna leave that there.

Thought the worst comic book death was actually Snowflame. So much wasted potential.

Nghtgnt

May 30, 2010
Chris, Kyle, Dan, when you guys do the "No Right Explanation" article, could one of you touch on (even if only briefly) "Blackest Night", and how that may or may not be significant? I missed most of it, but it seemed Superman's death factored into something... somehow...

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
Firefilm said:
mcnally86 said:
Why are you ignoring me Chris and Kyle! I just want to be your friend.
Also I like the way you guys confuse me about comic book stories.
How are they ignoring you? Did you ask to be friends on Facebook or something? I'll go beat them up if you explain your reasoning. Heck, I'll beat them up anyways.
I tend to not use the Facebook for fear of people I freinded. I should probably do something about that the longer I ignore it the worse that gets. I made a twitter account to talk to them. And I hate twitter. After about a week of being ignored I canceled it. I feel like I might be being too creepy you know?

Anyhow I invited you for sandwiches too, think I sent it to Chris's twitter I'm sorry don't know yours. You take the I-5 to PAX right? You could get off at Grand Mound which is about half way for a lunch break. Northwest Sausage and Deli has some good ruban sandwiches and its a restaurant right off the freeway so no you won't get lost in a scary small town.

Edit: I forgot I've e-mailed chain gang media with no response.

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
Worst death I've seen has to go to Hunter O'Nion in Transformers: All Hail Megatron.

One of the non-annoying Human companions (a select number consisting mostly of Stella Holley, Lennox and Epps, and Sari Sumdac), he got stuck in the whole mess from the beginning, got turned into a Headmaster for Sunstreaker of all Autobots, and eventually helped 'Streaker get fixed up and was able to finally go home and reunite with his friends.

Then all of a sudden, he shows back up in AHM having been captured by Scorponok offscreen, and hooked up to a bunch of machinery so Sideswipe has to put him out of his misery. Seriously, was AHM's author that hard up for some cheap Pathos, or did he just hate the early IDW continuity that much?

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Firefilm said:
Worst Comic Book Death Ever

Moviebob tries to scoop us this week by talking about Knightfall, but we one-up him by bringing in death of Superman. Which comic book death holds the title of worst?

Watch Video
Thank you for doing "worst" and not best. Every time you guys do a "Best Comic ___" episode I am compelled to go out and buy the titles named; Hush, Killing Joke, Red Son, and Kingdom Come off the top of my head. I do feel I should thank you for never misleading me though

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Darth_Payn said:
Knightfall should be disqualified for not really killing Batman; that happened in Batman:R.I.P. and Final Crisis. Personally, I think the worst comic book death is one that's just hallow, token, and manipulative just for shock value, and not really meaningful. Like in last year's FEAR ITSELF when
Bucky Barnes ended his run as Captain America when the Skadi-possessed Sin/Red Skull stabbed him in the chest with her hammer and he seemingly died, and Steve Rogers became Cap again. But he's OK now, back on his feet as the Winter Soldier after nick Fury gave up the last of his Infinity Formula to save his life.
If a superhero must die, it should be while doing something cool and heroic.
Like Hawkeye in Avengers Disassembled?

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Nghtgnt said:
Chris, Kyle, Dan, when you guys do the "No Right Explanation" article, could one of you touch on (even if only briefly) "Blackest Night", and how that may or may not be significant? I missed most of it, but it seemed Superman's death factored into something... somehow...
Can do, my good friend.

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
artanis_neravar said:
Firefilm said:
Worst Comic Book Death Ever

Moviebob tries to scoop us this week by talking about Knightfall, but we one-up him by bringing in death of Superman. Which comic book death holds the title of worst?

Watch Video
Thank you for doing "worst" and not best. Every time you guys do a "Best Comic ___" episode I am compelled to go out and buy the titles named; Hush, Killing Joke, Red Son, and Kingdom Come off the top of my head. I do feel I should thank you for never misleading me though
Glad to help out your wallet. I haven't read red son yet, but I am hoping to someday. Maybe Chris has a copy I can borrow

zombflux

Oct 7, 2009
Why are they "comparing" the "Death" of "Superman" to Knightfall? They decided Knightfall was the worst "death" because he doesn't "actually" "die" but Batman "actually" "does" "die" in 52, so why not "compare" it to "that"?

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Of the two, Superman's was a good knock out brawl that the animated version did no justice to. Knightfall was based on the premis that Batman would be dumb enough to take on all of Arkham's goons alone.

The fact either got the vote is a sign you guys aren't regular readers because when it comes to dumb and pontless deaths, we could be here a long time. Heck, Marvel seems to be killing and returning characters in rapid pace at the moments. Which brings me to my choice:

Cyclops

He did die by being absorbed by Apocalypse around the trn of the millenium to a collective "yeah, sure, how long is this gonna last." Sure enough, he was back by the end of the year. Just as we have Cap bac, Human Torch Back, Thor Back. Hald of the Guradians of the Galaxy. Ect.

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
Shotgun Guy said:
I think Captain America gets the worst death, at first it seemed really promising, he's killed abruptly after failing to secure continued freedoms for super humans, the shock wave of his death is felt throughout the world, the man he was opposing, Iron Man, falls out of favor leaving a huge gap to be filled. In the absence of having someone as iconic as Captain America, the nation turns to a madman to become the head of the Avengers and the national defense force overall, simply because he got a lucky shot in during an invasion.

Then they needlessly bring him back, saying that the gun he was shot with was actually some kinda time travel device or something moronic like that and he's stuck inside his past self until he can break free from his previous memories. The story was horrid and he obviously should have been left dead. I love the character but I think killing him sent a really strong message, leaving him dead would have made the universe seem a bit more real, more uneasy, if you can kill Captain America than you can kill anybody (except Spider-Man and Wolverine, of course).
THANK YOU!

That was exactly what I was thinking when I read the comic where Captain America is brought back. I liked having him dead, because (in my opinion), the comics that followed his death were much more realistic and of a far greater quality than what followed his resurrection.

I stopped reading comics after the Fear Itself event, they have just gotten so dumb and it's not worth the money anymore.

Heck, I am befriending you right now, for saying that Captain America should remain dead. You also get 10 internets from me.