No Right Answer: Worst Reboot Ever

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Phew...

For a moment there, based on the preview pic for the vid, I was under the impression you guys were going to be talking about Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

To which I was going to HAVE to call shenanigans. That film was fantastic. One of the best movies that year. Anxiously awaiting Dawn.

Keji Goto

Nov 28, 2012
So much low hanging fruit and Chris goes for Man of Steel... I don't even know where to begin on that one. For starters he used all the tired and pointless arguments that it wasn't really Superman and it should have been done a certain way but what Chris fails to realize is that this is a reboot to a franchise and one that exists for a reason. Man of Steel is re-examining the character with a different take and showing that Superman isn't perfect. This adds depth to the characters and gives him motivation moving forward beyond simply being the boy scout everyone already knows.

Complaining about the Superman vs. Batman movie was just grasping at straws. For starters we've seen nothing on the movie and it hasn't even started filming yet. All we have to go on are rumors and several confirmed castings. Just because Wonder Woman has been cast doesn't mean she'll play a massive role in the movie. Remember when Black Widow popped up in Ironman 2? She had her brief time to shine when she took out the guards alongside Happy and that was pretty much it for her outside of a few scenes where she was Tony's assistant.

Wait until the movie actually comes out before ripping it apart. Oh and on the subject of additional casting the big rumor now (since this is apparently being taken as fact now) is that the Justice League movie will be filming back to back with Superman vs. Batman so chances are (if this is true) most of this casting is being done for that where they will be a huge part of the story.

Superman Returns is a far worse movie that makes zero sense. It was created because someone wanted to make another classic Superman movie and everything about it kept that tone, look, and feel which ultimately worked against the movie. Superman spends half the movie creepily stalking Lois Lane, Luthor's big plan is to create the ugliest land mass possible which looked to have zero value (seriously the whole thing was made of rock, nothing could grow there, and he had no army to keep anyone from coming in and taking it from him), the only action scene was well done but you knew nothing serious was going to happen because Lois was on the plane, the final fight is basically Luthor's men putting the boots (medium style) to Superman before he's shanked like a prisoner and tossed in the ocean only to have him come back and lift an entire continent into space and hurl it into the sun, and oh at some point Superman and Lois had banged in the past so Superman has a son and that kid is a murderer (this was also obviously sequel bait). This movie by itself brought down Warner Bros. DC movie lineup and kept Superman off the screen for over eight years. This was the movie that made everyone say DC can only do Batman movies and that's it.

Then when Superman finally returned to the screen they completely did away with Superman in the title instead opting to use a nickname and they had to make sure that this take on Superman was so different from Returns that no one would ever think they were related. So in many ways if you think about it those of you who hate what has been done with Man of Steel probably have Superman Returns to blame. If that movie hadn't been as awful as it was there wouldn't have been a need to reboot the franchise and go in a whole other direction. You had your chance to get the Superman movies you wanted and DC royally screwed that up.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
Icehearted said:
canadamus_prime said:
Newhouse said:
Star Trek Into Darkness.

1) Star Trek II did not need to be rebooted. At all. Ever. You can argue that Into Darkness is not a reboot of Wrath of Khan and I would agree untill the last 30-45 minutes of the movie when it decides, "welp we got nothing here's Wrath of Khan with the equivalent of an M. Night Shamylan twist"

2) Missed the whole point of Kirk learning that he is not invincible and the weight of having Spock die, to be replaced by "Opp Kirks only dead for 5-10 minutes" Also defeats the whole point of the Star Trek reboot period if we're going to keep calling up Old Spock every time there's a problem.

3) Portable transporter and "cure all" blood.
Why don't we just say the Star Trek reboot PERIOD.
I couldn't agree more. Honestly thought the rewrite of a lot of the original movie's most iconic moments crosses the line into parody well before they "catch" Khan. Hell, the movie's opening has Spock paradoxically speaking out about not violating the Prime Directive while violating the pri-

*flips table*
*leaves room*
Of course I meant the entire J.J. Abrams Star Trek reboot universe not just Into Darkness, but yeah that was pretty bad. I mean should I go over all the things about the first one that didn't make sense? Starting with Red Matter, a plot device that presumably was pulled out of somebody's ass, Abrams' I'm guessing.
No no! You don't have to do that, and it hurts too much anyway. I thought it wasn't as bad, even if it was way off (wait, where was Spock when Vulcan was destr-AAARG!), best not to think about it too deeply. The second one was definitely worse, almost like they just said "Let's see how much we can get away with". Was Carol Marcus supposed to be the genius in the narrative or the token tits and a-

*sets table upright*
*flips table again*
*leaves room*

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I can't really comment to the No Right Answer argument this week, because I never bothered to see Burton's Planet of the Apes. But I did see Man of Steel, and while I totally agree that movie completely sucks taint... I don't really get the arguments against it Chris used. Mostly because I couldn't get that "deep" into the story presented by that movie. I never could ask myself if Jon Kent was confusing his son about his identity, if Superman was party to too much destruction, if the Jesus allegory was too heavy handed, about tornadocide, or the necksnap. I never found myself questioning any of those things.

Because ALL I was thinking was, "WHY IS THE CAMERA STILL SHAKING?" All movie. For all 146 minutes.

Well, not all. It made a little sense during the Krypton scenes. The planet was unstable and about to blow up. I was willing to let that go. But then they get to Earth, camera still bouncing around like a superball in a dryer. I was still kind of willing to accept it. This part of the story is little Clark's perspective... he's still trying to adjust and that's a little visual clue. A stretch but I'm willing to allow it. But a gimick like shaky-cam only has any kind of meaning if it contrasts with another more conventional shot. So, since the movie never let go of its irritating shaky-cam, there's only 2 rational explanations. 1: this is supposedly a "found footage" movie? That makes no sense, who the hell found the Krypton scenes? That makes no sense, leading to 2: low budget "indie" films are popular despite not being able to afford good rigging and a dolly truck or two. So the shaky-cam in MoS is pretention to an "arty, indie" style of film that MoS is obviously NOT. That's gotta be it, it's all that makes any kind of sense. Either that or the post-prod editor was using the shaky-cam button as a coaster while editing.

red ant

May 18, 2009
Planet of the Apes was bad, but the minute simpsons parody was great.
Superman Returns- he lifts a mountain of krytonite and throws it into space wtf after he was almost killed by a shard
The amazing spiderman was fine, watch spiderman 3 for proof, thought the first 2 were better though
Even the worst batman movies were so bad they were good in some respects

Will probably watch robocop in the future, has to be better than Total Recall an okay movie when you do not compare it to the original ahh one liners

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Worst reboot ever? Easy - Halloween.
It was a good franchise that didnt need rebooting. It wasnt even old. Everyone knew who it was, and yet somehow Rob Zombie managed to make a shitty movie and just slap a halloween name on it (since it had nothing to do with actual halloween anyway). It was badly directed and badly acted and when looked closer it didnt even make any sense. The original halloween actually had reasons behind every character, the reboot was closer to "omg hes a psychopath, omg he kills people, teens are going to buy tickets"

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Man of steel, and ABYSMAL piece of shit. I was so upset with that movie I actually cried afterwards, no movie has ever incited that much rage within me before.

Fifty-One

Sep 13, 2010
Firefilm said:
Fifty-One said:
Man of Steel 2 directed by Tim Burton and starring Helena Bonham Carter as Lois Lane!
Done. You're funded. Start pre-production now
I'm going to need a few bottles of rye, a pen, sticky notes and a dart board.

The Apple BOOM

Nov 16, 2012
I feel like this comparison fails up front because there is a large amount of people, including myself, who like and appreciate what Man of Steel did, where as Planet of the Apes was just garbage that is universally panned.

Mr_Terrific

Oct 29, 2011
And here I go with the usual unpopular answer of Batman Begins.

Nolan's Batman films are what set WB on this path of ruining all of DC. Right there in the beginning they screwed up Batman. A young Bruce Wayne witnesses his parents murder of which the killer goes free for years, he falls down a cave filled with bats, he goes off to train is mind and body to be the world's greatest detective, and decides to spare the people of Gotham by going on a mission of Justice by becoming the Batman.

In Batman begins, Joe Chill is caught and put on trial for the murder that basically turned Gotham to shit. Bruce shows up with......get this....a gun and is dead set on shooting and killing Chill, until surprise, one of Gothams crime families does the job for him. So Batman was going to shoot a dude and kill him. Yes Batman in comics has used a gun...but never to outright murder someone. It's stupid and defeats the purpose of Batman. Nolan almost immediately destroys Batman's mission within the first 15mins of the trilogy. So now that the killer is dead, what is his motivation? Taking down a crime boss? He goes of to train with Ras (Raz wtf?) and the league of Assassins......ASSASSINS...then comes back as the Batman which basically attracts Raz and his gang of ASSASSINS. They plan to kill the city of Gotham by.....lmao the most comic book comically bad evaporator machine thingy instead of dropping a bomb in Gotham's Lazarus pit like in the comics. The entire movie shits on Batman's origins much like The Man of Steel does to Superman.

So while I'll agree that TMoS was trash, it's not worst that Batman Begins because it does not break the franchise to the point where it is incompatible with a Justice League film.

That's how bad Nolan's Batman films are. The freakin broke the DCU. People love to scream about how good those trash films are but think about this. Why is the Tumbler the only trace of Nolan that made the comics? Meanwhile, Agent Coulson is everywhere and Nick Fury is now Black in one universe.

Yeah...Begins is the worst reboot imo, followed by The Man of steel, the Amazing Spider-Man, and Star Trek (which I can go on for days).

lead sharp

Nov 15, 2009
man of steel was to film what John Wayne Gacy was to children's entertainment. Planet of the Apes was a stupid movie movie, yes but mos was such a mess they feel the need to push a JLA movie into the 'sequel'.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
Chris was significantly funnier this week.

Oh BTW, congrats future dad!

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
canadamus_prime said:
Newhouse said:
Star Trek Into Darkness.

1) Star Trek II did not need to be rebooted. At all. Ever. You can argue that Into Darkness is not a reboot of Wrath of Khan and I would agree untill the last 30-45 minutes of the movie when it decides, "welp we got nothing here's Wrath of Khan with the equivalent of an M. Night Shamylan twist"

2) Missed the whole point of Kirk learning that he is not invincible and the weight of having Spock die, to be replaced by "Opp Kirks only dead for 5-10 minutes" Also defeats the whole point of the Star Trek reboot period if we're going to keep calling up Old Spock every time there's a problem.

BECAUSE!!!!

Star Trek II Wrath of Khan did not satisfy a real need I had for some 30 years!!! Khan tells Kirk, "I have 5 times your strength" Why, so does Spock! I was dying to see the 2 of them to get it on. Yes, magic blood that cures all is awful. But I had fun at this flick. The Dalton Bonds? Not so much.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
It took me awhile to figure out you were talking about Man of Steel (which isn't titled Superman :p).

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Gorfias said:
canadamus_prime said:
Newhouse said:
Star Trek Into Darkness.

BECAUSE!!!!

Star Trek II Wrath of Khan did not satisfy a real need I had for some 30 years!!! Khan tells Kirk, "I have 5 times your strength" Why, so does Spock! I was dying to see the 2 of them to get it on. Yes, magic blood that cures all is awful. But I had fun at this flick. The Dalton Bonds? Not so much.
Did you see those ridiculous dress uniforms with the stupid plastic hats? Also speaking of Spock, in the original show/movies Spock often had more emotional control than many full-blooded Vulcans and yet in this Abrams' Universe we often see him throwing hissy fits. WTF is up with that?