No Sleep For A Week- Dangerous?

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
Judgement101 said:
I think it is after like 3 days you have a chance of dying from sleep deprevation.
Spooky. I stayed awake for 3 days. o_O

Speaking of which, another of my friends did the same thing. Started hallucinating.

AdamRBi

Feb 7, 2010
It does end up messing with you, if you can even stay up for that long without crashing. What you think is just a quick sit could turn into an 12 hour sleepfest.

SiegeJack

Jun 17, 2010
FYI, You might want to listen to the hallucinations. They are always straight on. /sarcasm (mostly)

But yeah, unless you feel like becoming/feeling like a paranoid schizophrenic, You should avoid this bet.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Well the world record is 11 days, but that person is abnormal (like most world record holders). I've done 50 hours and started to hallucinate at little bit. 72 hours has the potential, depending on your health, genetics, etc. to really do a number on you.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Short answer: yes.
Long answer: Yes, of course it is, don't do it, you could go into a coma (maybe) but death is a possibility and you'll probably fall asleep anyway.

Or to put it a different way: 'Hmm, wonder if depriving myself of a basic human function/necessity is in anyway a bit of a poor life decision?'

No offence ment.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Ask a doctor because everyone's different. You may die within the first 24 hours.

Goldeneye1989

Deathwalker
Mar 9, 2009
Agayek said:
Griffstar said:
A simple enough question, is staying awake for 1 week straight dangerous? I made a bet with a couple of my friends about it.

No I won't be driving or doing anything that I shouldn't be, also I'm not doing drugs.
It's not physically dangerous, but it is extremely damaging to your psyche. The average person starts to hallucinate around day 5 or so, and going beyond that can start causing permanent mental problems.

I strongly advise against it, as it's really not worth the risk, regardless of what the bet is actually for. If you actually do it and make it through with your mental faculties intact, let me know how it was.
Actually, it's been researched that it's very dangerous to your body, it gets to a point where you body just starts to shut down. Psychologist theories that it's because you brain has not had the REM sleep that it needs to rejuvenate it's self. But your vital organs will slowly start to shut down.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Very hard to do. You most likely are going to start falling asleep without even knowing it. Also very bad for your health as well.

JochemDude

Nov 23, 2010
You WILL pass out in a matter of days. If you can't take care of yourself than instinct takes over, same as that's impossible to to drown yourself.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Goldeneye1989 said:
Actually, it's been researched that it's very dangerous to your body, it gets to a point where you body just starts to shut down. Psychologist theories that it's because you brain has not had the REM sleep that it needs to rejuvenate it's self. But your vital organs will slowly start to shut down.
Huh, good to know. I can't imagine why it would behave that way, but it's good to know.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
banthesun said:
Please keep us updated, it should be amusing to see how long you last.
I assume it will go like this.

Day1. This is easy just a little sleepy is all
Day2. Nothing coffee can't fix
Day3. Boy this is hard
Day4. THE SPIDERS ARE COMING OUT OF MY EYES!!!
Day5.Passed out or dead.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
A week is often considered LETHAL in survival situations. So Not a good idea, in normal, at home situations, brain damage, really worth it?

Ascending order of how long you can survive without an item:
Shelter.
Water.
Sleep.
Food.

You will sooner die or pass out from sleep deprivation than starvation. Have fun with that :(

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
Staying awake too long isn't just exhausting and eventually hallucinogenic, it can get physically and mentally painful. I know from experience when I was at university.

Short of being in a warzone, there really is no need for it. For your own health, get at least 6 hours a night.

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
Griffstar said:
A simple enough question, is staying awake for 1 week straight dangerous? I made a bet with a couple of my friends about it.

No I won't be driving or doing anything that I shouldn't be, also I'm not doing drugs.
Griffstar said:
Internet Kraken said:
You would be incredibly, dangerously exhausted. I don't think you can even make it that long without sleep before your body literally refuses to stop working. I'm not sure how you would stay awake that long, but it would definitely require fucking up your body some way. So yes, it would be dangerous.
I have powerful willpower.
Just one question Griffstar, Why would you ask this question, only to then ignore people when they tell you it's dangeruos?

You might pull it off, but I think it'll stop being funny long before you have finished.

But hey, on the upside, you might get a Darwin Award.

Elegy of Fools

May 8, 2011
Griffstar said:

72 hours is the "breaking point"

I once did a self-experimental sleep-deprivation study as a Psychology project in high school; for safety I gave myself a "maximum" and found that after 72 hours you risk serious brain damage.

I kept a journal for the experiment period, and wrote two entries every hour. First entry was what I did that hour, and the second was "stream of conscious" writing of whatever was on my mind.

After 24 hours, the two began to be interchangeable. After 38 hours, I experienced light hallucinations, (I would see movement very frequently in my peripheral vision). After 50 hours, I had trouble with extremely basic functions, and could no longer hold complete conversations. Past that I only remember a little, my written entries also stopped. If not for my parents tracking my behavior, I wouldn't have had any information for hours 50-60. At hour 60, I caved and struggled to sleep.

That was probably the most ironic thing; and sticks out in my mind more than anything else about the experience: after 60 hours without sleep, I was unable to sleep readily or consistently. I spent the better part of the following 24 hours trying to get a restorative sleep - which I was unable to do. I didn't fully recover from the experience until two days after.

I post all this so that you might have something someone has done first hand, rather than just a medical snippit (though those are certainly informative as well).

But, seriously, don't do it. I wouldn't do more than a full 24 hours ever.