No UMD Transfer for the Vita

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009

OH BOI!

I can't wait to NOT buy this! OH BOI! OH BOI! OH BOI!

this handheld generation is pretty unappealing to me.

OH BOI!

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
They seem to be using Games Workshop's business model where they only care about brand new customers, and aren't conscerned about the people who have already given them some of their money. I fit in this demographic myself, not having bought a handheld system since the Gameboy Advance, and as such might actually be one of the very few people who says 'I don't have an Iphone, I just have my PS Vita and cell phone', while sheepishly looking at his shoes and not being terrified of being stuffed into a locker, but only because there aren't any at work.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Guess what I'm not getting?

Though that sentiment seems to be basically universal. Did they want anyone to buy this thing?
Just because you are the most vocal group does not mean that you are the majority
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Korten12 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Plus, isn't the whole main point of buying a vita is to, you know, play Vita games?
I was under the same impression, but apparently not. Silly us.
I was wondering the exact same thing

Snotnarok said:
I still want the PSP2 (vita is a crap name) however I'll be keeping my PSP close. Even if they had some transfer plan because seriously that's just dumb.
The only PSP games that I would want to transfer are Birth by sleep and Crisis Core, both of them can't be download, which is exactly why I will keep my PSP.

ila said:
I still can't believe how self-entitled certain gamers feel. When I bought a UMD I wasn't thinking to myself "oh boy I sure hope this works on every Sony system ever." It' just like a license. When I bought say, God Eater Burst on UMD, I was buying just that. The game on UMD. At no point was anyone obligated to make sure I can download a digital version of the game for use on a new upcoming system.

And for the record, this whole "transfer" system only covered games that already had PSN releases. It didn't cover every UMD, in fact it covered a very limited amount. Hardly "crippling."

Full disclosure here: yes I have the Vita preordered, and I also own a 3DS. I don't care to see any company "fail" or the like. I'd rather that gaming continues to get better. I really don't think the recent trend of negative journalism is helping the case at all.
But people don't want the truth, they want to hate the people who made it big by being good at what they are doing, people seem to mistake "wanting to make money for the job you do" with "being greedy"

I would like to thank the four of you, I was really starting to think the community here was full of people who immediately jump on the hate bandwagon.

And on a side note, are we sure Rupert Murdoch doesn't own the Escapist? because most of these news articles read like something I would hear on Fox News

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Zouriz said:
Korten12 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Korten12 said:
It sucks but honestly... The west won't care. Despite what many think, The PSP IS DEAD in the west. It never sold well here, so this probably will have little effect on sales. Plus, I understand the want to have the ability to play old games, but if you didn't have a PSP (which most likely sales will be full of) then this will have little to no effect.

Would I want this UMD system? Hell yes.

Will it effect sales heavily? No.
That's what I was thinking, I don't know many people that have a PSP, i.e. only one other person, so I don't think it's going to hurt Sony that much in the long run. Yeah it sucks for the people that want to transfer over to the Vita, but really, if you already own the PSP, why would you want to get ride of it when you know for a fact that you can still use it to play games?

Still plan on getting the Vita though, even though this news kinda blows.
Plus, isn't the whole main point of buying a vita is to, you know, play Vita games?
Ah, but here is the thing. It discourages people to upgrade their PSP to a Vita. Why should they upgrade if the Vita can't play any of their PSP games?
But you are not upgrading, you are buying a new handheld,but ignoring that, any game you already downloaded for your PSP (including the PSone Classics) will be playable on the Vita.

Zom-B

Feb 8, 2011
I hate to be "that guy", but if anyone one is really that interested in playing their UMDs they will still have their PSP or be able to purchase one very cheaply soon enough. Hell, the whole point of the PSV (aside from the screen, the graphics, the touch screens, the dual analogs) is that it's a digital platform so that we don't have to worry about physical media. The fact that we can play digital PS1, minis and PSP games is plenty of old content available on a new platform, imo. And like I said, anyone with UMD games most likely has a perfectly serviceable PSP to play them on.

I understand from a convenience standpoint if you want to bring your PSV and some PSP games with it, it sucks, but well then I guess you can just choose to download a few of your favourite digital PSP titles and save the UMD games for another time.

Honestly, while this is a disappointing decision by Sony, I won't lose any sleep over it. Heck, I don't even use my UMD games now. I pretty much only play games I've downloaded, just because of the sheer convenience of having them loaded onto one memory stick.

Zom-B

Feb 8, 2011
Zouriz said:
Korten12 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Korten12 said:
It sucks but honestly... The west won't care. Despite what many think, The PSP IS DEAD in the west. It never sold well here, so this probably will have little effect on sales. Plus, I understand the want to have the ability to play old games, but if you didn't have a PSP (which most likely sales will be full of) then this will have little to no effect.

Would I want this UMD system? Hell yes.

Will it effect sales heavily? No.
That's what I was thinking, I don't know many people that have a PSP, i.e. only one other person, so I don't think it's going to hurt Sony that much in the long run. Yeah it sucks for the people that want to transfer over to the Vita, but really, if you already own the PSP, why would you want to get ride of it when you know for a fact that you can still use it to play games?

Still plan on getting the Vita though, even though this news kinda blows.
Ah, but here is the thing. It discourages people to upgrade their PSP to a Vita. Why should they upgrade if the Vita can't play any of their PSP games?
Um... isn't the whole main point of buying a vita is to, you know, play Vita games?

RikuoAmero said:
No-one is has said that Sony is obligated to give us downloadable copies of our PSP games. No, what we're complaining about is poor customer service. Here's the scenario.
Let's say I now have a PSP in my hand (one with a UMD drive, the less said about the Go, the better). I've got a bunch of games on it I've paid money for (let's also assume I bought them all new, so we don't get into the arguments over new vs used). I now hear that Vita is on its way, its the shiny new handheld console, its more powerful and generally better.
However, the main thing keeping me from then buying the Vita is the fact its a separate console. The point of a handheld console is the fact you can carry it around with you, preferably stick it in a pocket, or keep it in the inside pocket of my coat. Now, I have to worry about which of the two handhelds from the same manufacturer I will bring with me. I'm not going to bring both, I already bring my smartphone with me (and that's competition right there, smartphones already have a bunch of great games, at better prices).
So, one way Sony could have persuaded me to buy their new product would have been to offer me downloads of any UMD games I have for the PSP. One way it could have worked would be to stick the disc in the PSP drive, log in to my Sony Account on the PSP and have the option to then register the game to my account. I then log in to my Sony account on the Vita and I'm able to download. Once my downloads are complete, I toss the PSP, and keep the Vita, and then on buying Vita games.
As the Vita is right now, its competing with its manufacturer's own products (which is never a good thing). At the moment, the only Vita game I'm interested in getting is Persona 4, but one game is not enough to get me to buy a machine.
Here's a different scenario that a lot of gamers have:

They have a PSP and some games. They have a 3DS and some games. They don't want to bring both. What to do? Well, you make a decision. The same can be said of your PSP/PSV dilemma. You want to play the UMD games? Bring your PSP. No? Then bring your PSV.

Of course the other thing that you've failed to take into account is that the only games available for transfer in Japan are games that are already available digitally. So anything that's a UMD release only isn't even an option for the transfer program.

Furthermore, I don't understand the mindset that is so rigidly attached to UMDs and how many people seem to want a Vita so they can play PSP games on the PSV instead of the PSP they already own.

Rainboq said:
Alright, Sony, time to go back to business school. Rule one of business is BE NICE TO YOUR CUSTOMERS.
Where did you come up with that malarkey? I just googled "first rule of business" and nowhere did "be nice" show up. Certainly it can be beneficial to "be nice" to your customers, whatever that means, but it's hardly a rule of business. It sounds more like some pithy bit of wisdom someone who knows nothing about running or building a business.

Redd the Sock said:
If I want to play War of the Lions on the vita, I'd have to pay full PSN price to download it, even though I own the physical copy.
I don't get it... why do you need to play War of the Lions on the Vita? Why not just play it on your PSP? What is the point of spending $250 on hardware to play a game you already own for a system you already own? If there's no games for the PSV that you want right now, then don't buy it and stick with your PSP. The more people that do that, the more reason there is for Sony to consider reducing the price sooner rather than later.

If, like a bunch of dumbass sheep, people go out and buy a PSV all the while bitching they can't play their UMDs, what message does that send to Sony? People are stupid?

This should be such a huge non-issue. The ridiculous emphasis on the ability, or lack thereof, to play old games on new hardware is bizarre, to say the least. When I get a PSV, it will be to play Vita games, not PSP games. I have a PSP for that purpose that works just fine.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
So it's backwards compatibility that you have to pay for because they're technically not giving you a physical copy of the game so they can continually charge you for it.

I know it's a good business model, but it's a pretty damn cheap and heartless one, and it's really just seeing how far you can abuse your customers. *sigh* But as long as it's making money for them...

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
Oh, Sony. The more you do, the less it looks like you know what you're doing. Hopefully people will continue not buying this machine, and maybe Sony will actually wake the hell up.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
I am just amazed at how many people have the attitude: "Well, why would you want to play PSP games on the Vita?"

- Why would you want to play GBA games on the DS (Phat and Lite)?
- Why would you want to play DS games on the 3DS?
- Why would you want to play PS1/PS2 games on the PS3?
- Why would you want to play PS1 games on the PSP?
- Why would you want to play many past games on the Wii?

Really, some of you act like you just started gaming yesterday.

Also, to fix a couple of inaccuracies I read:

- The Vita does not play PS1 classics at this time, maybe it will in the future, maybe not
- Yes, they CAN make this happen, they did it in Japan and they can do it here if they want to

Whatever, this is the final straw for Vita as far as I am concerned. One account per Vita is an unnecessary limitation. Proprietary, overpriced memory cards. Now this. I was completely ready to go with the 3DS this afternoon, because I am now certain that I won't be buying the Vita, but Gamestop will only give me $30 for my PSP 3000. Regardless, if I get a handheld in the future, it won't be the Vita.

Detective Prince

Feb 6, 2011
I wish I could say I won't get a Vita now I can't put my P3P on there.

But...

The P4 Remake.

DAMN THEM! THEY KNOW MY WEAKNESS. -.-

Stupid decision for them to make though.

.No.

Dec 29, 2010
artanis_neravar said:

Though that sentiment seems to be basically universal. Did they want anyone to buy this thing?
Just because you are the most vocal group does not mean that you are the majority
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Korten12 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

Snotnarok said:
I still want the PSP2 (vita is a crap name) however I'll be keeping my PSP close. Even if they had some transfer plan because seriously that's just dumb.
The only PSP games that I would want to transfer are Birth by sleep and Crisis Core, both of them can't be download, which is exactly why I will keep my PSP.

ila said:
I still can't believe how self-entitled certain gamers feel. When I bought a UMD I wasn't thinking to myself "oh boy I sure hope this works on every Sony system ever." It' just like a license. When I bought say, God Eater Burst on UMD, I was buying just that. The game on UMD. At no point was anyone obligated to make sure I can download a digital version of the game for use on a new upcoming system.

And for the record, this whole "transfer" system only covered games that already had PSN releases. It didn't cover every UMD, in fact it covered a very limited amount. Hardly "crippling."

Full disclosure here: yes I have the Vita preordered, and I also own a 3DS. I don't care to see any company "fail" or the like. I'd rather that gaming continues to get better. I really don't think the recent trend of negative journalism is helping the case at all.
But people don't want the truth, they want to hate the people who made it big by being good at what they are doing, people seem to mistake "wanting to make money for the job you do" with "being greedy"

I would like to thank the four of you, I was really starting to think the community here was full of people who immediately jump on the hate bandwagon.

And on a side note, are we sure Rupert Murdoch doesn't own the Escapist? because most of these news articles read like something I would hear on Fox News
Uhh....
You may want to do something about that. I'm certain the mods won't take very kindly to it.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
.No. said:
artanis_neravar said:

Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Korten12 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

Snotnarok said:

ila said:

Uhh....
You may want to do something about that. I'm certain the mods won't take very kindly to it.
Honestly if the mods are going to ban me for stating my opinion about some of the articles, then I don't want to be part of this site. Thanks for the heads up though

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
Crono1973 said:
I am just amazed at how many people have the attitude:

- The Vita does not play PS1 classics at this time, maybe it will in the future, maybe not
- Yes, they CAN make this happen, they did it in Japan and they can do it here if they want to
Wait really? Damn you sony. well quess I don't need to fill out my collection of those >.>

I would have liked the option to pay 13 dollars as apposed to 30 dollars for a game I already own. Lets face it, how long do you think your current PSP is going to last with normal wear and tear from use. Another year, another two or three? I'll tell you right now, Stores aren't stocking the psp anymore, once they sell out, there aren't any more new psps and who knows how long a used one will last you. And good luck trying to find one that doesn't look like the screen got in a fight with a Brillo pad" Passport was a way for me and other users to -future proof- our games, -LEGALLY-

Ya they didn't have to do this, but it's bs to do this in Japan and not everywhere else.

.No.

Dec 29, 2010
artanis_neravar said:
.No. said:
artanis_neravar said:

Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Korten12 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:

Snotnarok said:

ila said:

Uhh....
Honestly if the mods are going to ban me for stating my opinion about some of the articles, then I don't want to be part of this site. Thanks for the heads up though
Your welcome. Oh, and this is there official stance on the issue at hand:
"We put a lot of work into the content on the site, and if you've just shown up to trample on that hard work, we will remove your comments and ask you to leave. Constructive criticism is welcomed; negativity for its own sake is not. Further, discussions instructing or otherwise advocating the circumvention of The Escapist's advertisements, site sponsors, security mechanisms, media protections or similar facilities will not be tolerated. If we find you being slanderous with regard to any part of The Escapist, you will be penalized. This includes, but is not limited to communication of a statement that makes a claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may give The Escapist, an individual creator, advertiser, site sponsor, product, group, government or nation a negative image. In short, if you say something you better be able to back it up with fact.

Regardless of what some of our content creators may say, do or provoke within their videos or articles, this does not give members the ability to act in the same way. They are entertainers and if they brought their language or flaming into the forums, they would be held accountable, just as any other forum member of The Escapist would be."

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Skopintsev said:
Also, can we please refrain from calling the Vita a 'failure'? Give the platform some time for christ sakes, the PSP didn't do well at the start either and its at what now? 70+ million?
Yea... once the price dropped to a reasonable amount and people figured out how to crack it.

And if you are talking about a launch, may I remind you of the first 8 months of 3DS sold about 6.5 million units. So far, the Vita has not even come close. The Vita launch is a failure. Whether they make it up will depend on how quickly they learn to follow the 3DS and drop the price to a reasonable price.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
Yea this is going to put me off from buying the system. I would have probably gotten it if I could still keep all my PSP games, but without that, no. Haven't bought any DS past the 2nd gen model (after that they rigged the systems so you couldn't play GBA games on it for some reason...)

Oh well. I'll just save money to buy a console once the next gen ones hit.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
ZeZZZZevy said:
Yea this is going to put me off from buying the system. I would have probably gotten it if I could still keep all my PSP games, but without that, no. Haven't bought any DS past the 2nd gen model (after that they rigged the systems so you couldn't play GBA games on it for some reason...)

Oh well. I'll just save money to buy a console once the next gen ones hit.
they took out the gba thing to make room for the camera and stuff