No, you don't date rape/gay erase a character in Fire Emblem Fates

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
LifeCharacter said:
The reality is apparently that she's bisexual, which we supposedly know immediately, and who spends all her time flirting with girls, but somehow she starts fainting at the sight of them. So she goes to your male character for help, who then drugs her so she sees him as a girl so she can get more comfortable with the gender she apparently flirts with constantly. Afterwards, she's better and loves your character. Also, the supposed bisexual can't be romanced by the female Avatar, because that's just too much gay. And this is the version we're supposed to believe based off of an unsourced imgur post.

So, what I gather from this is that, if we are to believe the latter is true (I say believe because, you know, saying how wrong other people are doesn't exactly mean you yourself have proof), people were getting upset for the wrong reason. They should have been upset for basically making a bisexual character whose bisexuality is reduced to shallow flirting with other girls before she runs back to the boys for real romance.
That's not quite right. According to the post, we're *lead* to believe that she's bi, but in reality she was fetishizing the female form in response to apparent daddy issues that eventually became a distracting habit. Not completely unlike a girl that makes out with other girls at parties and ends up getting flustered around girls without being ROMANTICALLY attracted to them. I've known numerous girls that have temporarily claimed to be bisexual before realizing it was just a phase.

LifeCharacter said:
Marxie said:
Not happily accept, no, but look at them in their own context, try to understand the issue and give them the benefit of the doubt.
And we're talking about a harmless culture-specific trope that can be framed as something terribly wrong only if looked at in a very specific way through the glasses of a progressivist American. That's really stretching it.
The harmless, culture-specific trope that girls being attracted and flirting with other girls is something for children that you grow out of when you become an adult and that, if you don't, you're just immature (or you just have some problem with men that the right man can no doubt fix)? Should I even be surprised that looking at things through the lens of "treating homosexuality as a phase you must grow out of is bad" is now just progressivist American and stretching it?
Have you forgotten that this takes place in a medieval fantasy? You may as well act shocked that gender roles exist in the FE universe.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
LOL. People play games where they NUKE THE ENTIRE CIVILIZATIONS, where they play as THE DEVIL, where they murder or minbend whole cities, where they kill lots of innocent people on the streets, rob, steal, commit war crimes, and ALL OF IT is absolutely OK.

But love potion to sneak under someone's skirt? OH NO THIS IS TOO MUCH FOR US!!!1111

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Dreiko said:
Zhukov said:
The version I heard was that the main character slips the gender-vision-reversing-bizarro potion into her drink without her knowing it.

Which seems to be supported by everything I've read in the links in this thread.

Bleeeergh.

Not personally angry/offended/outraged or whatever, but my eyes are threatening to roll clear out of their sockets.

The way people (you included) word this is as though he's slipping her a date-rape drug or something. As though he has some nefarious purpose.

Kamui has no interest in her sexually by that point, he just wants her to not faint mid combat and get killed. You do realize this, right?
Ummm... did I say anything about date-rape?

I'm pretty sure I didn't say anything about date-rape.

I certainly don't remember typing the words "date-rape" recently. Well, until right now of course.

Pretty sure all the date-rape is in your court buddy.

I even sepecifcally said I'm not remotely annoyed about this. Perfectly content to roll my eyes and wave it off as brain-dead anime shenanigans.

I expect to be thoroughly entertained reading the conversations that will follow though.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
LifeCharacter said:
Rastrelly said:
LOL. People play games where they NUKE THE ENTIRE CIVILIZATIONS, where they play as THE DEVIL, where they murder or minbend whole cities, where they kill lots of innocent people on the streets, rob, steal, commit war crimes, and ALL OF IT is absolutely OK.

But love potion to sneak under someone's skirt? OH NO THIS IS TOO MUCH FOR US!!!1111
So do those games where you nuke entire civilizations or murder entire cities then present you as the good hero who just solved those civilizations and cities' problems with their nukes and murders? Because that's really the only way the situations would be comparable.
You never played Civilization, don't you? I nuked MY OWN cities to win by CULTURAL VICTORY. Each and every quest hero steals everything that is not glued and this rarely even gets mentioned. In TES you can get away with pretty much ANYTHING and still end up as a hero. Noone ever bothers or calls anything out on those games. Examples are endless. And please, don't bother answering, I am no longer interested in this topic.

SquallTheBlade

May 25, 2011
LifeCharacter said:
Rastrelly said:

So do those games where you nuke entire civilizations or murder entire cities then present you as the good hero who just solved those civilizations and cities' problems with their nukes and murders? Because that's really the only way the situations would be comparable.
Let's say they do. What's the problem? In the end, it's just fiction. Don't get so worked up over it.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
SquallTheBlade said:
Let's say they do. What's the problem? In the end, it's just fiction. Don't get so worked up over it.
except some of the people defending it are going all out to harass and destroy the individual who first drew attention to the issue...

maybe they shouldn't get so worked up over it?

SquallTheBlade

May 25, 2011
Windknight said:
SquallTheBlade said:
except some of the people defending it are going all out to harass and destroy the individual who first drew attention to the issue...

maybe they shouldn't get so worked up over it?
Harassing? Who and where?