Nolan Puts Official Title on Third Batman Flick

VirusHunter

Nov 19, 2009
It'll never happen...but what if robin was the villain? Not as Red Hood, but just plain ol Robin with a twisted origin story that makes him fucked up and such?

SniperMacFox

Suffer not the Flamer to live
Jun 26, 2009
How about we look at just the facts.

We know that this film won't be containing Joker, Two-Face, Riddler or Penguin and through them, I doubt it would contain Harley Quinn either (though interesting she needs the Joker to play off, having her alone won't work.)

The previous two films have had a single word theme, being "Fear" and "Chaos" respectively. It's therefore possible that this film will also have a single word theme, possibly something which is also related to the things which Batman fights against.

At a random stab, I'm going for the one word theme to be something like "trust" or "honesty" as a possibility, as then it could also include the introduction of Robin (kudos to MovieBob for that idea) and then carry on with the idea of emotional as well as physical attacks on Gotham.

In that case, I'm gonna go for a female villain, more probably Poison Ivy than Catwoman but again I doubt that it will be either of them as they've both been used before.

All in all, female villain who causes Batman to feel he cannot trust anything and he eventually trusts Robin and they save Gotham. And they all have cake.

Arec Balrin

Feb 26, 2010
Batman having his back broken by Bane is one of the iconic canon events in the comics and Bane is plausible if they don't do him as a cartoon Incredible Hulk-type thing.

Nolan stays well away from super-natural and science-fiction characters, putting a rational and realistic explanation on anything that seems mystical; like Scarecrow's gas and Rah'as Al Ghul being 'immortal' because he's simply an idea, anyone can assume the role of him- no Lazarus Pits. Poison Ivy, Killer Croc, Mr Freeze and Clayface just simply can't do that without the serious kind of ret-conning given to Rah'as by Nolan.

Bane is the logical choice as performance enhancing chemicals are a reality now, just do away with the Hulk-like transformation.

SniperMacFox

Suffer not the Flamer to live
Jun 26, 2009
floppylobster said:
It would the right time for Catwoman to appear given that Bruce Wayne is now looking for love.

And if she's hot then the title 'The Dark Knight Rises' makes perfect sense.
...Do you realize what you've done? Now we just have to wait for Deviantart to read this and all of this debate is pointless. Because no-one will watch the film for fear of it looking like... I'm not going to even bother typing it out.

zacattack14

Apr 3, 2010
Killer Croc works perfectly. Think about it. They only have to film in dark sewer tunnels and croc could be really scary, dragging people down in the middle of the night or something.

gligarman207

Oct 12, 2010
BehattedWanderer said:
Halceon said:
Twoface, clearly. The setup for his appearance was so blatantly obvious in Dark Knight, that i'm surprised there is such speculation at all. It also fits with the claim, that some characters will return.
...Except that he's dead?
ya I'm pretty sure there refering to Ra's al Ghul here not Twoface since you never actually see him die and hes supposed to be immortal so it's most likely him returning. but in Nolan's batman films there is generally 2 villians. I'm hoping the other one will be Calendar Man just because Nolan could probably make The Holiday Killer actually dark and epic.

Sabbad

Apr 9, 2008
SniperMacFox said:
How about we look at just the facts.

We know that this film won't be containing Joker, Two-Face, Riddler or Penguin and through them, I doubt it would contain Harley Quinn either... At a random stab, I'm going for the one word theme to be something like "trust" or "honesty" as a possibility, as then it could also include the introduction of Robin.
Word of God says there's no Robin either, so add him to the list. And Ra'as Al Ghul is dead, obviously, so it can't be him either.

Scarecrow and Mr Zsasz could feature, but since they've already been in it with quite minor roles, I doubt they'll be the main villains. Mr Freeze got a definite "no" a few months back.

We can safely write off anyone with superpowers too exotic, or gimmicks too camp - Killer Croc, Clayface, Manbat, The Mad Hatter, Maxie Zeus or The Ventriloquist.

The only viable candidates in my mind are one of the following: Poison Ivy, Catwoman, Hush, Bane, Talia Al Ghul or Black Mask.

Poison Ivy is usually depicted with actual superpowers, which obviously wouldn't work in the film, but it's not a stretch to see her reimagined as a conventional eco-terrorist. I doubt we'll see this though, ecology as a theme has been entirely absent from the rest of the series, and it'd be weird to have it materialise for the first time in this one. You can't even do a "destroying Gotham for the greater good" thing, cos that's already been done in Begins.

Catwoman or Talia Al Ghul seem more likely. Talia would be interesting exactly - having a connection to the League would really help Batman return to his roots, a theme that was explored extensively in Begins but more or less ignored in Dark Knight. And a love triangle between her, Bruce and Bruce's memory of Rachel is exactly the kind of quirky spin on a conventional plot line you would expect Nolan to do.

I doubt it'll be Bane, Hush or Black Mask for the following reason - they have no recognition beyond the franchise's fanbase. So what would be the point? I'm sure Nolan would much rather create his own characters to fit the story he has in mind than use somebody else's. The only reason to use existing characters is if they're already popularly associated with the Batman mythos, and I don't think any of these characters are.

Which brings me to a final possibility - maybe there isn't an established villain in the film. Maybe Nolan created one himself, or maybe there is no villain, period (the conflict between Batman and the police set up at the end of the Dark Knight could easily sustain a movie on its own). Can anyone point me to a quote from Nolan himself establishing that there definitely will be a VILLAIN from the comic books in this movie?

Aulleas123

Aug 12, 2009
Longshot said:
Aulleas123 said:
DiCaprio could be Hush, that could make a good flick. Also we could see Talia Al Ghul as an antagonist and love interest. I'm a little relieved that they won't bring in the Riddler, not that I don't love a character who is a genious dressed in green tights, I just don't see how it would work in the Nolan Gotham City.
No? I'm thinking Saw...
I could see that... I guess after six Saw movies, they got tired of it.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Well, remember that Zasz broke out of Arkham during Batman Begins. Perhaps he'll go on a killing spree through the Narrows?

pacati

Oct 4, 2010
How about after this, a simultaneous sequel to both Inception and Memento, where in the film a dream within a dream goes backwards and everything is what it seems.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
dillirgaf said:
who was the crazy guy with the puppet? i remember him from the cartoons
Wasn't that Scarface? That was his name right? He made a cameo in the Scarecrow sections of Arkham Asylum.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
M-JN said:
thenumberthirteen said:
*Crosses fingers* Come on Condiment King!
Yyeeeessss. Seriously if I was a billionaire dark-gritty-angst director, that is exactly the kind of shit I would pull in the last film of the series, and fly off cackling into the night.

Zeromaeus said:
SAT4NSLILHELPER said:
M-JN said:
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
In that case, I'm guessing Red Hood and Black Mask.
Nah, they wouldn't do Red Hood so soon after the animated flick.

I think the only real possibility is a Catwoman tale. Scarecrow and Ra'as already had their moments, most of the others are wholly too ridiculous, and it'd make for some much-needed romantic levity after that whole bint Rachel thing. Maybe Hatter, but I'd be surprised.

Halle Berry come back and bring your cleavage.
Don't be so sure about Red Hood. Him being in the animated film just means more people will be familiar with him which is good for marketing. Plus it would rule.
Don't forget Red Hood was Batman's old Robin. The one who died. Guess he got better... Anyway, Robin hasn't appeared in the Nolan-verse yet, has he?
Hasn't yet and never will according to Word of God. Probably for the best.

Although now that I'm thinking it, I was struck in TDK with how insidiously they downplayed Barbara Gordon's existence. Like, she was there, but she wasn't really there and the breezeover seemed rather intentional, so maybe she'll play a role? Likely a small one, but it could be neat to see hints at the "Bat-family" that got so foofy in the animated.

Although this is Gritty Reboot Land, and so Batman must never ever be happy.
Well, my personal hope for this would be a storyline based around Bane and Black Mask. Bane breaks the bat. The whole circus thing plays out with a young member of the Greyson troupe being adopted by a certain m/b(?)illionaire shortly after the murder of said child's parents.

It could segue really easily into a second series of movies. Concluding the trilogy about the origin of The Batman and going into something else. Something Robin related. I actually see Robin as an important part of the whole Batman ... thing. The next series could be set as a "... years later" thing to set their ages up where they're supposed to be.

More likely, however, Nolan will just move on to the next thing. Who else could he do? Punisher maybe? I don't know. Probably something non-comic-book related.