Nolan Puts Official Title on Third Batman Flick

Dorian6

Apr 3, 2009
Lets see who's left. Ra's al Ghul and Two-Face are dead. Riddler and Penguin are out. Joker and Scarecrow are in jail. Mr. Freeze, Mad Hatter, Killer Croc, Firefly, and The Ventriloquist don't seem too likely. Bane might work.

I think Hush would be pretty cool, but he's not nearly as recognizable as The Joker. I'm cautiously optimistic though

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
No Riddler OR Penguin? Hm... then who could it be? Maybe Poison Ivy, Bane, Mr. Freeze - Oh dear God, NOT ANOTHER BATMAN & ROBIN! AAAAUUUGHH!!

Tonight's forecast, a freeeeeeze is coming! Revenge, is a dish best served cold. Let's... kick some ice!

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Nolan Puts Official Title on Third Batman Flick

The third movie in the modern Christopher Nolan Batman franchise has been titled, and a prominent villain ruled out of it.

Since Christopher Nolan has been at the helm of the Batman movies, his Batman has already begun and successfully returned as a dark knight. In the upcoming third Nolan Batman film, the dark knight is going to rise.

Nolan revealed to the LA Times that his next movie will be called The Dark Knight Rises. He and his brother Jonah have written a script which is based on a story conceptualized by Nolan and David Goyer.

The Riddler has been thrown around as the logical next choice for a villain after the Joker, who definitely won't be back [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101135-Joker-Wont-Return-in-Nolans-Batman-Films], but Nolan also shot down the hopes of green, question-mark adorned clothing fans. He confirmed that the Riddler won't be in The Dark Knight Rises, but gave absolutely no hint about any deviants that would.

It's rumored that Catwoman [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104753-Rumor-Dark-Knight-Director-Looking-for-a-Catwoman] will make an appearance, but this is unconfirmed. The Joker was what made The Dark Knight stand head and shoulders above Batman Begins for me, so I'm wondering what kind of antagonist can reach the same level, or even close to it, in Rises.

Nolan did say: "We'll use many of the same characters as we have all along, and we'll be introducing some new ones." Really, if it's not going to be the Riddler, it has to be the Penguin. He might have a cute name, but Nolan could easily take the character to a dark place as Tim Burton did in Batman Returns. Edit: I've been reminded that the Penguin has already been ruled out. Woe is me.

Thanks for the tip Frank_Sinatra_ [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Frank_Sinatra_]!

Source: Hero Complex [http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2010/10/27/christopher-nolan-reveals-title-of-third-batman-film-and-that-it-wont-be-the-riddler/]

Frank Sinatra saves the day once more...

Well crap, if its Catwoman the movie's going to suck imo, I don't see why the riddler has been ruled out... =[

Tempest13

Aug 23, 2010
*reads beginning of article*
ah! Then maybe it'll be the pengui- *finishes article*
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU- *sigh*

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
MrFreeze....

Im just saying

Yeah we covered that base but...hey now we have this version...

Riddler Poison Ivy and MrFreeze have been done

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
I think it's obvious that the villain is going to be the Music Meister.

Neil Patrick Harris could even reprise his role.

thedeathscythe

Aug 6, 2010
Mr. Freeze? It could be pretty cool. Hopefully Scarecrow cameos again and makes a third consecutive appearance in the films. Killer Croc? I'd love to see something with him.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
The Great JT said:
The Dark Knight Rises?

Not bad, but not great, either. I would love to see The Penguin, The Riddler, Bane, Mr. Freeze or Clock King.

Now, I should probably clarify what I mean by "I'd love to see Clock King." I'm talking about the Clock King that knows that he'll have beaten you unconscious two seconds after you finish reading this sentence. The Clock King who knows that the burglar alarm will go off four seconds after he enters the vault at 3:28 PM, that it will take nine minutes for the police to arrive on the scene, the train's doors will open at 3:37, boarding will begin at 3:40, and has the route planned out so that he's on the train at exactly 3:43:25 PM and comfortably sipping tea when the train leaves the station at 3:45. THAT is what I consider the incarnation of the Clock King; a master strategist who can formulate where to be and what he should be doing at a given time down to the millisecond, the genius who knows that you had dinner at 6:44 PM last Tuesday, that you took a 12-minute thirty-nine-second shower and went to bed at 9:17:22 and that exactly 24 minutes after you go to bed the cyanide pill that he slipped into the steak your wife bought and you ate for dinner will take effect. Now doesn't that sound like an intellect to stack up against Batman?
Wow i've never heard of the clock king but you sold me. I think it would work awesome for nolans batman causes its based in a "realish" world and out there characters don't really work.

x434343

Mar 22, 2008
Sporky111 said:
I think it's obvious that the villain is going to be the Music Meister.

Neil Patrick Harris could even reprise his role.
YES PLEASE.

BEST. BATMAN VILLAIN. EVAR.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
MarsProbe said:
BehattedWanderer said:
Halceon said:
Twoface, clearly. The setup for his appearance was so blatantly obvious in Dark Knight, that i'm surprised there is such speculation at all. It also fits with the claim, that some characters will return.
...Except that he's dead?
Personally, I'm not entirely convinced that Two-Face is dead. Sure we may have seen him fall a considerable distance at the end of TDK, but the way I see it, unless you see someone actually declared dead and carried away in a body bag, then one can't be 100% sure that they're a goner. After all, Scarecrow never copped it in Batman Begins and The Joker survived through The Dark Knight (though that could have also been down to a matter of taste as well).

Plus, it would be a pity for a character like Two-Face to bow out after only being used a secondary villian for a small part of the film.
I'm pretty sure he died, actually. I watched it a couple weeks back, and if I remember right, at the end, after he'd fallen, and Batman and Gordon are talking, they're saying how Dent was Gotham's white knight and whatnot, and that it would destroy the city's hopes if they found out that he had been responsible for killing the cops. Batman mans up and says something to the effect of Dent's death being a city wide tragedy, and that to ensure it was seen that way, he would take the blame. It's why Batman and Gordon give that whole "Because I can take it, you'll hunt me" thing.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Oh God I hope and pray that the Mad Hatter is in this. A guy that can mind control people and who kidnaps little girls for "heretofore unknown reasons" has to make for an interesting story.

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
So Bane, Talia Al Ghul, Harley Quinn, Hush, Zsas, Zeus, Black Mask, Catwoman and/or return of Dent or Scarecrow.

We're really narrowing the field down in this thread.

I'll add Doctor Destiny and let Nolan figure out a way to make a wheelchair bound cripple with mental powers sound like something viable.

I just want to see Batman kick a guy in a wheelchair really.

Those guys are always hogging sidewalk space.

My real hope is Clayface and he can easily be done realistically, just do the Darkman bit with him.

Kevvers

Sep 14, 2008
sneakypenguin said:
The Great JT said:
The Dark Knight Rises?

Not bad, but not great, either. I would love to see The Penguin, The Riddler, Bane, Mr. Freeze or Clock King.

Now, I should probably clarify what I mean by "I'd love to see Clock King." I'm talking about the Clock King that knows that he'll have beaten you unconscious two seconds after you finish reading this sentence. The Clock King who knows that the burglar alarm will go off four seconds after he enters the vault at 3:28 PM, that it will take nine minutes for the police to arrive on the scene, the train's doors will open at 3:37, boarding will begin at 3:40, and has the route planned out so that he's on the train at exactly 3:43:25 PM and comfortably sipping tea when the train leaves the station at 3:45. THAT is what I consider the incarnation of the Clock King; a master strategist who can formulate where to be and what he should be doing at a given time down to the millisecond, the genius who knows that you had dinner at 6:44 PM last Tuesday, that you took a 12-minute thirty-nine-second shower and went to bed at 9:17:22 and that exactly 24 minutes after you go to bed the cyanide pill that he slipped into the steak your wife bought and you ate for dinner will take effect. Now doesn't that sound like an intellect to stack up against Batman?
Wow i've never heard of the clock king but you sold me. I think it would work awesome for nolans batman causes its based in a "realish" world and out there characters don't really work.
Yeah this one gets my vote, it would be a good content between meticulous and devious planning vs bat-improvisation. You could throw in some weird philosophy or psychological stuff too if thats too conventional -- the guy doesn't exactly sound like a people person so you could play off that.

cp2u

Jul 28, 2009
what about the 60's villains? How awesome would it be to see a darker take on clock king?

Jul 13, 2010
I don't think we'll be seeing Killer Croc or Bane in the new film. The first two films have very much been ground in (a slightly Hollywood) reality. I can't see Bane or Croc fitting at all well in this setting.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Perhaps they could do the Knightfall story line with Bane in it, sounds like it could fit in with the title.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Poison Ivy
Cat Woman
Mr. Freeze
Bane

Just of the top of my head some of the villains (and all have been in previous movies)